Disney trip approaching fast and all I'm stressed about is a darn boarding group on RotR

scuba

DIS Veteran
It amazes me that the only stressor I'm feeling is getting a boarding group. We decided not to limit our parks so the only day for HS is Sunday, April 11th. We are unwilling to potentially miss out on another park by reserving multiple days at HS so Sunday will be it.

I'm wondering if anyone has had luck with multiple phones and multiple persons in said group trying at the same to score a BG? We are a group of 5, iPhone 8, iPhone 10, brand new iPhone 12 pro max and two Android Samsung 20s one being brand new. So the person with the best phone with the fasted processor gets a BG is that where we are now? Does everyone in our group huddle around one another refreshing until 7am and if one gets through are the rest denied? Can multiple phones get to the join screen and then add group and have 2 boarding groups?

Yes, lots are successful with multiple phones trying.

Check out the RotR no spoilers thread for more info:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/r...planning-and-information-no-spoilers.3782822/
Only 1 in your party will get the boarding group though, so you can only ride once in a day.

I also wouldn't recommend refresh. Just have someone count down seconds at 6:59.50 and as it gets closer, watch the clock on your phone. As soon as it turns to 7, click join join join on the 3 screens as fast as possible. Good luck and mtfbwy.

More people trying should increase your chances of success. As long as you are all linked together you’ll only get one BG. There’s no way for 1 person to be assigned to 2 BGs by accident.
Make sure everybody in your party is linked and has a HS park reservation for that date.

If 7am fails, many people have better luck at 1pm. So all hope isn’t lost.

To increase your odds-
Before the trip try a run thru at 7am to get familiar with the screens and what to expect.

On the actually day just keep hitting the buttons ‘join’ to get to the next screens without hesitation. Don’t go checking if your party is correct etc... you’ve done that during your prep🙂 Keep going!

Temporarily turn off location services. That is not needed for this and may slow you down.

Check at your hotel where you get the best signal. You can also check speed thru ookla. Get an idea where everything is running strong. We did this on arrival day and also 10-15 minutes before trying to join BG just to make sure. We found a spot down the hall from our room at Beach Club worked the best. So far we are 5 for 5.

Then no more worrying. Plenty of people get BGs without even bothering with extra steps or practice. Hopefully the tips from these boards will help give you an extra boost but at the end of the day what will be will be. All you can do is prepare and cross your fingers. Goodluck! 😊

More people trying should increase your chances of success. As long as you are all linked together you’ll only get one BG. There’s no way for 1 person to be assigned to 2 BGs by accident.
Make sure everybody in your party is linked and has a HS park reservation for that date.

If 7am fails, many people have better luck at 1pm. So all hope isn’t lost.

To increase your odds-
Before the trip try a run thru at 7am to get familiar with the screens and what to expect.

On the actually day just keep hitting the buttons ‘join’ to get to the next screens without hesitation. Don’t go checking if your party is correct etc... you’ve done that during your prep🙂 Keep going!

Temporarily turn off location services. That is not needed for this and may slow you down.

Check at your hotel where you get the best signal. You can also check speed thru ookla. Get an idea where everything is running strong. We did this on arrival day and also 10-15 minutes before trying to join BG just to make sure. We found a spot down the hall from our room at Beach Club worked the best. So far we are 5 for 5.

Then no more worrying. Plenty of people get BGs without even bothering with extra steps or practice. Hopefully the tips from these boards will help give you an extra boost but at the end of the day what will be will be. All you can do is prepare and cross your fingers. Goodluck! 😊
Thank you for the encouragement.....YOUTUBE channels have a bleak review of this process however I have read more about people getting a BG than guests who don't, to think the only thing stressing me out in life is if I get my family on an amusement park ride? If all of us could be so lucky to only have to worry about getting on a ride.

Yes, lots are successful with multiple phones trying.

Check out the RotR no spoilers thread for more info:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/r...planning-and-information-no-spoilers.3782822/
Only 1 in your party will get the boarding group though, so you can only ride once in a day.

I also wouldn't recommend refresh. Just have someone count down seconds at 6:59.50 and as it gets closer, watch the clock on your phone. As soon as it turns to 7, click join join join on the 3 screens as fast as possible. Good luck and mtfbwy.
Thank you for the encouragement! I should feel pretty blessed that the only thing stressing me out right now is getting on a ride, I wonder if I try a few Jedi mind tricks if that would help? thanks again.

Thank you for the encouragement.....YOUTUBE channels have a bleak review of this process however I have read more about people getting a BG than guests who don't, to think the only thing stressing me out in life is if I get my family on an amusement park ride? If all of us could be so lucky to only have to worry about getting on a ride.
It is a lot of pressure 😆
You’ll be fine tho. Fingers crossed for you.

I have tried for RoTR boarding groups 6 times (2 the "old" way, and 4 with the 7 AM drop). I have gotten a group each time. You can do it!

I only had 2 people in my group each time, but we both tried for groups. In January my son got one (with an old Android phone) and on another day I got one with a newer Android phone. In November same thing, my husband got a group one day, and I got one the other.

The most important thing, which has been said before on this thread, but please don't overlook it: DON'T pause to make sure the right people are selected for your group, just click JOIN, JOIN, JOIN as fast as you can. Literally there are three joins on three separate pages, go fast, no pausing or thinking. LOL. As long as your tickets are correctly linked and everyone has an HS reservation, they will automatically be selected for the boarding group.

Good luck!

I was the successful one for our party. I am the least tech savvy, using the cheapest, simplest (but new) iPhone. I think. It may have been on an iPad.

I used the internet from the timeshare, not my phone provider. The others used Verizon and T-Mobile.

But I had read the advice. I checked my phone’s time against the atomic clock. I did an internet speed test to see which device and system was faster (this took very little time).

Then join, join, congratulations. Yes, I was too early at least once. But didnt hesitate to just loop right back in.

and I made sure my app was up to date.

This system beats the old system of standing in a line outside HS before 7 am and then trying for a BG. The time window for joining was longer, but my group wasn’t called til 6 or 7 pm. And then a 1.5-2 hr queue.

I’d much rather go back to sleep or hang out in the room until the park opens.

Somebody said 78% of people who post here are successful in getting a BG.

I totally get your feelings. I hope you get to ride and you like it. My first impression was that it was okay. Not sure about the fuss over it. second time, it moved to one of my park favorites. Don’t know why I reacted differently. Apparently, like ToT, it’s not the same every time.

Best of luck.

I will add to what others have posted. This what I do and so far I am 10 for 10 is securing a boarding group. I am the only one in our group that tries..no other family members attempt.

So I always start by rebooting phone about 10 mins before 7. After reboot I turn off wifi and Bluetooth. I wait till about 5 mins before 7 to open the app. Then at 5 seconds to 7:00 I hit join and since I have been doing the 5 seconds before, we have not received a boarding group higher than 10.

Biggest thing to do is reboot and turn off wifi and Bluetooth....reboot so you get a closer cell tower, no wifi cause that really can screw with the process if your on disney wifi and finally no Bluetooth as Mickey and his app take too many liberties with Bluetooth.

All said...I really don't think it is as hard to get boarding groups as people think it is.

We are going next month and I have been practicing ;) So far I would have gotten a pass every day I have tried for one.
I was worried about it but not so much now, after a few (busy park) days practice runs.

I will add to what others have posted. This what I do and so far I am 10 for 10 is securing a boarding group. I am the only one in our group that tries..no other family members attempt.

So I always start by rebooting phone about 10 mins before 7. After reboot I turn off wifi and Bluetooth. I wait till about 5 mins before 7 to open the app. Then at 5 seconds to 7:00 I hit join and since I have been doing the 5 seconds before, we have not received a boarding group higher than 10.

Biggest thing to do is reboot and turn off wifi and Bluetooth....reboot so you get a closer cell tower, no wifi cause that really can screw with the process if your on disney wifi and finally no Bluetooth as Mickey and his app take too many liberties with Bluetooth.

All said...I really don't think it is as hard to get boarding groups as people think it is.
May I ask what you mean by rebooting the phone? Powering it off and back on??

We actually got one at One within the park. I was shocked we got it. And they don't mean rebooting your phone. You need to refresh the page for the virtual line. Get on it ahead and refresh, refresh.

Thanks for all the info. I am stressed, too, being the grandma trying to get the boarding group for 9 family members... This is helpful.

Thank you, thank you everyone....I didn't want to drop a new topic and then leave, everyone has been so helpful. If you go onto YouTube there are dozens of videos out there preaching gloom and doom using phrases like "you're in for a battle" and "good luck getting a BG" on only "those with the force will get a BG" it made me feel like the possibilities are real leaving after an expensive Disney trip without riding this ride and although there is a possibility it seems like the steps everyone is suggesting the chances of getting a BG are far higher than the vlogers on YouTube.

Thank you, thank you everyone....I didn't want to drop a new topic and then leave, everyone has been so helpful. If you go onto YouTube there are dozens of videos out there preaching gloom and doom using phrases like "you're in for a battle" and "good luck getting a BG" on only "those with the force will get a BG" it made me feel like the possibilities are real leaving after an expensive Disney trip without riding this ride and although there is a possibility it seems like the steps everyone is suggesting the chances of getting a BG are far higher than the vlogers on YouTube.

I am 0-5 in terms of days in DHS and boarding groups gotten. Hopefully we will have better luck on at least one of our DHS days in June.

That's definitely frustrating to listen to. Yes they go quick, but get some info before you go, learn the system, practice from home if you can, whether it's 7am or 1pm EST, doesn't matter, just get familiar with the system and you'll be ready to go on park day.

My husband and I practiced for weeks beforehand and he almost always beat me. On our HS day, he got Boarding Group 1. This was back in October when you had to be in the park. Just practice, practice, practice! He has a Google Pixel and I have an iphone. He downloaded seconds on to his clock so he could see exactly when it was going to turn 7. We both had location settings and wifi turned off. We both have Verizon. Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter