• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Visa 0% interest on pre-purchased onboard credit

NephieRN

Mouseketeer
We have always used our Disney visa to pre purchase onboard credit for our cruises and up until last month it has always been applied to the 0% interest for 6 months. It is still coded as DCL reservations on the statement but it is not giving the promotional financing. It also did not apply the 0% to a placeholder that was booked. Anyone else notice this recently? Wondering if they closed the loophole or if it’s a mistake.

I don't think onboard credits are supposed to be eligible for financing, but the placeholder should be. It's an actual booking with a confirmation number. I'd call Chase.

I don't think onboard credits are supposed to be eligible for financing, but the placeholder should be. It's an actual booking with a confirmation number. I'd call Chase.
OBC purchased in advance has historically been coded to qualify for the 0% interest (at least back to our first cruise in 2011). Settling the onboard account at the time of the cruise does not.

OP -- how did you purchase the OBC? I've always done it by calling to pre-pay tips plus a bit more -- they always ask me the amount. I believe you can purchase OBC through the gifts site, but I've never done it that way.

OBC purchased in advance has historically been coded to qualify for the 0% interest (at least back to our first cruise in 2011). Settling the onboard account at the time of the cruise does not.

OP -- how did you purchase the OBC? I've always done it by calling to pre-pay tips plus a bit more -- they always ask me the amount. I believe you can purchase OBC through the gifts site, but I've never done it that way.
I purchased it online on the onboard gifts website. I used to call to do it but the past few years I’ve done it this way and it has always qualified.

So both ways should work. Is it the amount? It used to be anything over $101 -- I wonder if that minimum changed? I'm not finding anything in the Terms & Conditions that jumps out as a change.

So both ways should work. Is it the amount? It used to be anything over $101 -- I wonder if that minimum changed? I'm not finding anything in the Terms & Conditions that jumps out as a change.
It was $1500 so should definitely meet any minimum. I’m thinking it’s got to be a glitch in the system since the placeholder didn’t work either. Not a huge deal but it would be nice to know for future reference.

It was $1500 so should definitely meet any minimum. I’m thinking it’s got to be a glitch in the system since the placeholder didn’t work either. Not a huge deal but it would be nice to know for future reference.

It's probably a glitch in the system, I made 2 deposits, one for me and one for my mother. My mother's deposit had the promo, but mine didn't. I think the system glitched because I had also paid off a WDW package in the same billing cycle when I made my deposit.

Yes I understand. But according to the official T & C, I don't think they're actually supposed to be eligible, so it's possible they closed that loophole. Placeholders definitely should be though.

November of 2022 we put $1000 OBC on our account via our travel agent and I paid over 6 months. The amount that I did not use was refunded to the card and offset the balance of zero interest. I have also had the stateroom gifts apply for the zero % financing. As long as it is done before the day of the cruise it has always worked.

November of 2022 we put $1000 OBC on our account via our travel agent and I paid over 6 months. The amount that I did not use was refunded to the card and offset the balance of zero interest. I have also had the stateroom gifts apply for the zero % financing. As long as it is done before the day of the cruise it has always worked.
It worked as recently as March of 2023 for me. But on my mom’s October sailing and my sailing last week, it did not. So seems to be a recent change. Or glitch.

It worked as recently as March of 2023 for me. But on my mom’s October sailing and my sailing last week, it did not. So seems to be a recent change. Or glitch.
Just curious, did you call Chase? what was it listed as on the transaction? mine showed as reservation

Just curious, did you call Chase? what was it listed as on the transaction? mine showed as reservation
Both the onboard credit and the placeholder show as “DCL Reservation” I have not called chase yet but my mom did for hers that didn’t work and they told her to call Disney. Disney told her to call Chase. It was a big long back and forth that ended with Chase telling her that placeholders don’t qualify so I don’t have confidence that they know what they’re talking about since placeholders 100% qualify.

Yes I understand. But according to the official T & C, I don't think they're actually supposed to be eligible, so it's possible they closed that loophole. Placeholders definitely should be though.
Could be, but paying OBC in advance is considered part of the cruise fare (or "package" is the term Chase uses). If separating out the OBC they'd need to separate a number of other things that gets rolled in with fare -- prepaid tips, DCL transfers, etc. That's why I asked OP if they typically purchased OBC by phone or via onboard gifts. I can understand the gifts not being eligible for financing, but everything else rolling in with the cruise fare is simply "package" by Chase's terms.

In Sept. we paid $78 for a bus DCL transfer (one way) and it qualified for the 0% financing which I thought was odd, made through our TA. In March we did the OBC with our TA and it qualified. I was about to have her do $1500 for our upcoming trip but now I'll have to reconsider that if it no longer qualifies.

I just read that someone in Sept. did $3000 on the gifts app for OBC and it did not qualify. We had done our bus transfer for the cruise in Sept. through our TA and it qualified. Maybe it's a glitch with doing it with the app vs. a TA or directly with DCL?

I am wondering if anyone has more info on this especially recently. I was going to buy some obc for a cruise in march but want the 0% interest. Is there a way to prepay the gratiities and buy obc through the agent and get the 0% interest? Or does all obc have to be purchased through gifts?

I am wondering if anyone has more info on this especially recently. I was going to buy some obc for a cruise in march but want the 0% interest. Is there a way to prepay the gratiities and buy obc through the agent and get the 0% interest? Or does all obc have to be purchased through gifts?
I’ll report back tomorrow. I did this last month for our cruise that returned on Saturday. My statement closes tonight so I’ll message again tomorrow to let you know. We did it with our Dreams agent(not the in room gifts on the app). Our transfers that I booked back in Sept qualified so I’m hopeful!

No it did not work 😭. I plan to call chase to see what options I have and if they will consider adjusting it. I made two payments with DCL agent in Sept and August that both qualified. One was as low as $78! So no it seems like it won’t work whether you do it as gifts on the app or through a TA.

No it did not work 😭. I plan to call chase to see what options I have and if they will consider adjusting it. I made two payments with DCL agent in Sept and August that both qualified. One was as low as $78! So no it seems like it won’t work whether you do it as gifts on the app or through a TA.
Thank you so much for the info. That’s too bad. I was hoping to take advantage. Good luck talking to Chase, I hope it turns out well for you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter