• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney World Buries Its Controversial $149 After Hours Experiment

Tonka's Skipper

DIS Veteran
I believe the Executives, namely Mr Igor and his Igortrons, found the place where *enough is enough*!

The guest just would not pay that much!

Disney World Buries Its Controversial $149 After Hours Experiment
Disney After Hours wrapped up its seven-night run on Thursday, and the VIP experience doesn't seem as if it will be coming back.
large.ashx

Rick Munarriz
(TMFBreakerRick)
May 21, 2016 at 9:05AM
disneyafterhours_large.jpg

Image source: Disney.

Thursday was the final night of Disney's (NYSE:DIS) controversial Disney After Hours event. Guests paying as much as $149 a ticket had after-hours access to roughly two dozen of the Magic Kingdom's most popular attractions for three hours after the park closed to day guests.

Through six Thursdays in April and May -- and an seventh night on Mother's Day -- Disney was hoping that affluent theme park buffs would pay up for access to rides, attractions, and complimentary ice cream novelties and soft drinks with minimal wait times. The theme park giant lived up to the promise of exclusiveness, but largely because most park goers flinched at the stiff price tag.

That was probably by design, but two things happened to suggest that Disney overestimated consumer demand. The first sign that things were going to be bumpy was that it had to give away tickets to theme park bloggers, travel agents, and select Disney Vacation Club members to achieve a sellout on the first night. Disney often has previews for bloggers and travel pros of new events and attractions, but it's rarely on the same day as the actual grand opening.

That sellout was also suspect, as tickets that had been sold for about a month were still available the day before the inaugural night. Most social media reports from folks that did attend also commented on how empty the park was.

The second sign that things weren't going well came three weeks into the event when Disney buckled on pricing. The event was still listed at $149 for the public, but Disney park holders and members of the Disney Vacation Club timeshare program were being offered $75 tickets for any of the remaining nights.

One can also argue that a third sign of the event's failure is that it wasn't immediately extended following its six-week run, but that's not fair. Memorial Day weekend kicks off the busy summer travel season for the theme park operator. The parks close later on those nights, making an after-hours event more of a logistical challenge for the sake of attracting dawn-seeking night owls.

We'll know for sure if it won't be extended when the tourism lull returns in the fall, though it wouldn't be a surprise if the House of Mouse gives up on the event in its current form.

Good ideas can be bad for business
Disney After Hours may have seemed great on paper, but there are ramifications to publicly offering a VIP experience that only few fans can afford. The media giant has introduced double-digit percentage price hikes to its annual passes and one-day tickets in recent months, so even visiting during the day isn't as easy as it used to be. The notion of a $149 pass for three hours of near-exclusive access painted Disney as greedy, and the irony there is that there's a good chance that Disney After Hours wasn't profitable.

Having a couple thousand people paying $50 an hour may seem like a slam dunk, but keep in mind that there are a lot of staffing, utility, and maintenance costs associated with keeping a park open with more than two dozen attractions in operation. Disney may have calculated a modest profit with 5,000 people paying $149, but it's a far different model when you only attract roughly half as many people with many of those paying half as much.

Disney's theme parks will be fine. Attendance was actually lower at Disney World during the first three months of the year relative to the prior year's March quarter, but the media giant's operating profit exploded. We're also heading into the peak summer season and Disney has a couple of new attractions opening in the coming weeks that should prove magnetic to tourists.

Disney After Hours was a dud, but Disney after After Hours doesn't have to be. A strong summer at the theme parks could be just the ticket to push the stock back up to revisit last summer's all-time highs.

Based on when MNSSHP and MVMVP tickets came out (shortly after the ap/dvc discount of after hours) I think this was just an experiment on if crowd size was enough of a draw and what the market would bear for those fall parties.

I loved it personally no matter what anyone else would think. I like zero crowd and don't mind paying for it. Seems I'm not the majority though. I also think that price at the timing of so many other things going up was really bad timing (or should have been lower from the start and just a crowd experiment).

Last edited:
Ah, another angry opinion piece from someone who couldn't afford to attend. It's funny. The whole thing is speculative. Disney never revealed the capacity for this event, so no outsider (like the author) will never really know if this worked for Disney or not. We don't know why Disney created it (was it to explore what the market would bear, how to price MNSSHP, MVMCP, dip into the Orlando convention crowd?) No one really knows. What we do know from these boards is that the vast majority of those who went really enjoyed it and many people simply got angry because they couldn't afford to go. BTW, article author, ESPN is what is mostly influencing DIS stock price right now, not the parks.

I wanted to give it a try if they had extended the dates, but now I'm hoping this means they will update MK hours for my upcoming July trip.

I think the idea is good but the price is high for avg person and family. Adding that amount to a family of four after spending the money they did for their week long once of a lifetime Disney vacation is very high. Maybe Disney can't afford to get the price point down to that level, maybe they were not looking for the avg once of a lifetime Disney vacation customer I don't know. AT the half price point, they were offering AP / DVC members, maybe that would put it back in line for family's to enjoy that event. I know I would look closer at doing this event at that price then the 149 per person. Maybe Disney just can't afford to do it at lower price point as I know there are a lot of cost that go into doing something like that. Maybe they can't do it during peek times with the hours they have the park open till. There are factors we don't know and can't know. But I will not blame Disney for trying to make money. Doesn't mean I will give it to them unless I feel it is worth it for me and my family to do so.

Ah, another angry opinion piece from someone who couldn't afford to attend. It's funny. The whole thing is speculative. Disney never revealed the capacity for this event, so no outsider (like the author) will never really know if this worked for Disney or not. We don't know why Disney created it (was it to explore what the market would bear, how to price MNSSHP, MVMCP, dip into the Orlando convention crowd?) No one really knows. What we do know from these boards is that the vast majority of those who went really enjoyed it and many people simply got angry because they couldn't afford to go. BTW, article author, ESPN is what is mostly influencing DIS stock price right now, not the parks.
I could afford the tickets, but I didn't think the event is worth the price they were charging, so I wouldn't have spent the money on it. I was happy to pay a similar price for Club Villain, because I found much more value in the offerings at it. There are many, many people on the boards who were opposed to the after hours event for a variety of reasons, of which financial is just a part. It's pretty elitist to assume that anyone who didn't like it couldn't afford it.

I guess initially it seemed a great idea to make a few thousand people pay for the opportunity to repeatedly walk on any and every ride they want if they pay enough.

But the chances are pretty much none of those people will be buying merch in the shops during that time. So maybe its better to just let the parks be open as normal to an unlimited number of people at no extra cost when a percentage of those people will be spending in the shops.

If this become something that was regularly offered I was considering it for a future trip. Universal and shopping during the day and a close to empty part at night. Pair that with the Halloween or Christmas party & we would have a great way to see more of orlando and still do disney.

Oh well. Easy come easy go.

I hope it comes back in the fall. Dh and I arrive pretty late, if they have this on that night we would definitely do it. I have no problem paying for it, and I'm definitely not affluent. We just budget for special things on vacation, for some its a $200 dinner for others $300 for an almost empty park is more their style.
While the author makes some good points, its really just speculation at this point and he comes across as kind of bitter.

Good. I still think it was a stupid idea to begin with. They would've sold a lot more tickets if there price would've been lower. $60-$80 range would've worked a lot better, but $150 is insane. Glad that'll be gone
I think the point of this wasn't for it to sell 10,000 tickets or anything that's why it was a bit higher priced. Disney limited the event to roughly 3,000 and they still couldn't even sell that out.

To me, it just looked desperate.
I don't know about that. Disney does events like this all of the time and I think it was more of a test the waters situations. A lot of Disney's other events sell out or get close to it no problem. Disney wanted to see how high they could go.

It's still showing up on the Disney website with a "check back closer to the event" message, so it's not a done deal that DAH is gone. I suspect that they'll try it again, probably with a different price point after analyzing the spring event's dismal performance.

A lot of people that did end up going either got in for free or paid the $75 discount price. I haven't seen many people pay the full $150. From what I've seen and heard capacity was around 3,000. The parks do influence the stock price. Yes ESPN is doing a lot of the influence but every aspect of the Walt Disney company influences the stock price.

It's still showing up on the Disney website with a "check back closer to the event" message, so it's not a done deal that DAH is gone. I suspect that they'll try it again, probably with a different price point after analyzing the spring event's dismal performance.
Probably that or they'll through in some cupcakes and see if that sells more.

I have no problem with anyone wanting to attend this after hours event and feel it was worth the price to them.

What I think is the really point is that it fell flat on its face......people were just not willing to pay.....they could not even give the tickets away

I really beleive Disney has found a ceiling on what people are willing to pay.

After all the price increases people are saying enough.

I am sure the other parks like UNI are watching this and thinking. The other parks have been slowly raising their prices as well

AKK

I have no problem with anyone wanting to attend this after hours event and feel it was worth the price to them.

What I think is the really point is that it fell flat on its face......people were just not willing to pay.....they could not even give the tickets away

I really beleive Disney has found a ceiling on what people are willing to pay.

After all the price increases people are saying enough.

I am sure the other parks like UNI are watching this and thinking. The other parks have been slowly raising their prices as well

AKK

People were willing to pay.

Just not enough of them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter