Disney World Resorts - Overwhelmed

Youneek1

Earning My Ears
I know there is a ton of information about all of the Disney World Resorts....I have done a lot of research. I am overwhelmed at this point and looking for personal opinions. Here is my situation: I would like to stay onsite just one night. We will not be doing any of the parks. My daughters will be 3 and 8 at the time of stay. We are going on a cruise and I am thinking I would like to extend the vacation one extra day and have more flexibility in our flight home the day after the cruise. My husband is not on board with doing a land and sea vacation at this point, so the parks are for sure a no-go. We do like Disney Springs, so our plan is to spend some time at Disney Springs and hang out at the resort and partake in the pools.

We have never stayed onsite, so I am feeling completely lost on which resorts to focus on. Transportation is not an issue, although I do like the idea of using park transport when available...just makes it feel more special. Cost might become an issue, since we are traveling next June, which means the pickings will be slim at this point and I don't relish the idea of paying $1500 for one night. I truly do want some honest opinions and suggestions though, so please suggest any resort that you think would be a good fit regardless of cost.

TYIA!!!

Since you plan to go to Disney Springs, maybe one of the resorts close to there would work best? Parts of Saratoga Springs are an easy walk, and Old Key West, Port Orleans Riverside, and Port Orleans French Quarter all have boat transportation. All 4 resorts have nice theme pools with slides.

Since you plan to go to Disney Springs, maybe one of the resorts close to there would work best? Parts of Saratoga Springs are an easy walk, and Old Key West, Port Orleans Riverside, and Port Orleans French Quarter all have boat transportation. All 4 resorts have nice theme pools with slides.

Agree with this. My favorite of these is Port Orleans Riverside, but I do love the walking convenience of Saratoga Springs to DS.

Thank you. These were kind of the resorts I was leaning towards - Riverside specifically - I think I was just worried I was on the wrong track or was being too one track focused.

I second Port Orleans. I slightly prefer French Quarter but they're both great. You'll be able to use both pools, which be nice since you'll be having a lot of pool time. Be sure to do so because they're both great in their own way! I think that between Riverside and French Quarter, Port Orleans has some of the best quick service dining on property, too.

I agree Port Orleans is the budget option here for easy access to Disney Springs, although I'll admit I prefer to take the bus not the boat from this resort because it's faster, it's empty (because everybody took the boat), it's climate controlled, and no mosquitoes. The best resort for DS access is Saratoga Springs.

Last edited:

I agree Port Orleans is the budget option here for easy access, although I'll admit I prefer to take the bus not the boat from this resort because it's faster, it's empty (because everybody took the boat), it's climate controlled, and no mosquitoes. The best resort for DS access is Saratoga Springs.

SS is also a good option and I always think it is a lot like Riverside

Another vote for Port Orleans! The pools at both are really great for kids. My mom loves French Quarter, while I prefer Riverside. Don't know if your schedule would allow, but Yeeha Bob is great evening entertainment for all ages

With a 3 yo I would say a value resort for the themes. AOA is amazing. The suites are pricier but a ton of space. The little mermaid standard rooms are nice. POP century is also right across the bridge and the rooms were just refurbished.

There’s no wrong answer here. Just what fits in your budget.

For her 5th birthday last year my youngest asked that we go to a hotel with a waterslide instead of a party. Since we were already going to FL for our beach vacation a few days after her birthday we decided to stop in Orlando to fulfill her request. I booked POR for 2 nights (no parks) and my girls LOVED it!! I still prefer CSR but DH and both my girls really loved our stay at POR so for the Holidays I booked POFQ as our hotel. For your youngest, the small water park at POFQ will be a big hit and your big girl will love the slides at POR and POFQ! You could also go to AoA but no water slide and no boat to Disney Springs.

Why stay onsite if not visiting the parks? You won’t be taking advantage of the onsite perks. I’ve heard there are some great pools at offsite hotels near Disney Springs!
It's been a bucket list of mine for years to stay on property, and truth, when we do WDW for the first time, we plan on doing only that and will most likely use our non-Disney time share for our stay. A night here and there might be the only time that I choose to stay at WDW and I think my girls will get a kick out of it too.

Just looked at the Disney reservation website for next June and there isn't any standard room at ANY property that costs $1,500 for 1 night, so I am not sure where you got that figure. I think staying onsite especially with an 8 yr old and then NOT going to any park would be a huge disappointment for them. Perhaps the 3 yr won't know the difference, but the 8yr old would. I don't get the point of staying onsite without going to any park. Honestly, the disney hotels are nice, but not a vacation destination by themselves.

Last edited:
Of the Moderates my vote would be for Port Orleans French Quarter. It's a small compact resort and all rooms are very close to the amenities, it has a great pool for wee ones and is an easy walk to Riverside if you want to try the pools or food court there. The boat is good to DS but takes a little longer. SSR is our favourite for DS access. As others have said most villas are within easy walking distance. We have stayed at the Paddock - great pool for kids and there is the option of QS food. It's not quite so close though for walking to DS,the boat dock and reception are a wee walk as well. Congress Park is brilliant for DS access (very easy walk) but the pool is really more suited to adults and you have a bit of a walk to reception for QS food and also the boat dock. Whilst we haven't stayed at Carousel it just seems too out of the way and is the only area that doesn't have a pool. We stayed at Grandstand this year with my great nice aged 6 and 3. They loved the pool there, reception and the boat were a short walk as was the pool at The Springs (they loved the flume).

MRs TT

I know there is a ton of information about all of the Disney World Resorts....I have done a lot of research. I am overwhelmed at this point and looking for personal opinions. Here is my situation: I would like to stay onsite just one night. We will not be doing any of the parks. My daughters will be 3 and 8 at the time of stay. We are going on a cruise and I am thinking I would like to extend the vacation one extra day and have more flexibility in our flight home the day after the cruise. My husband is not on board with doing a land and sea vacation at this point, so the parks are for sure a no-go. We do like Disney Springs, so our plan is to spend some time at Disney Springs and hang out at the resort and partake in the pools.

We have never stayed onsite, so I am feeling completely lost on which resorts to focus on. Transportation is not an issue, although I do like the idea of using park transport when available...just makes it feel more special. Cost might become an issue, since we are traveling next June, which means the pickings will be slim at this point and I don't relish the idea of paying $1500 for one night. I truly do want some honest opinions and suggestions though, so please suggest any resort that you think would be a good fit regardless of cost.

TYIA!!!

I would stay at AKL, savannah view. We stayed there when my dd was in 3rd grade. We spent so much time on our balcony watching zebras, giraffes, etc. Where else can you do this? The pool has zero entry. It's a beautiful resort. You can just hop the bus to DS.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter