• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney World Resorts - Overwhelmed

Either of the PO resorts for us, we did not find paying more at OKW or SS worth it in our opinion, plus we liked the themes better at the PO resorts. We much rather take the boat to DS then a bus, it's such a nice relaxing ride with much better views:)

I will also agree that AKL is a great 1 day resort to stay at.

Last edited:
I know there is a ton of information about all of the Disney World Resorts....I have done a lot of research. I am overwhelmed at this point and looking for personal opinions. Here is my situation: I would like to stay onsite just one night. We will not be doing any of the parks. My daughters will be 3 and 8 at the time of stay. We are going on a cruise and I am thinking I would like to extend the vacation one extra day and have more flexibility in our flight home the day after the cruise. My husband is not on board with doing a land and sea vacation at this point, so the parks are for sure a no-go. We do like Disney Springs, so our plan is to spend some time at Disney Springs and hang out at the resort and partake in the pools.

We have never stayed onsite, so I am feeling completely lost on which resorts to focus on. Transportation is not an issue, although I do like the idea of using park transport when available...just makes it feel more special. Cost might become an issue, since we are traveling next June, which means the pickings will be slim at this point and I don't relish the idea of paying $1500 for one night. I truly do want some honest opinions and suggestions though, so please suggest any resort that you think would be a good fit regardless of cost.

TYIA!!!

We do this for all our cruises. You'll love easing back into the real world for that night. I always book a deluxe resort, and we enjoy the pool that day. Often DH and sons go on a fishing excursion. We have a very leisurely day. Maybe make a special ADR for that night.
I'd probably choose YC/BC because it is easy to spend the day by that pool. Then the evening over at the boardwalk. Perfect!

I know there is a ton of information about all of the Disney World Resorts....I have done a lot of research. I am overwhelmed at this point and looking for personal opinions. Here is my situation: I would like to stay onsite just one night. We will not be doing any of the parks. My daughters will be 3 and 8 at the time of stay. We are going on a cruise and I am thinking I would like to extend the vacation one extra day and have more flexibility in our flight home the day after the cruise. My husband is not on board with doing a land and sea vacation at this point, so the parks are for sure a no-go. We do like Disney Springs, so our plan is to spend some time at Disney Springs and hang out at the resort and partake in the pools.

We have never stayed onsite, so I am feeling completely lost on which resorts to focus on. Transportation is not an issue, although I do like the idea of using park transport when available...just makes it feel more special. Cost might become an issue, since we are traveling next June, which means the pickings will be slim at this point and I don't relish the idea of paying $1500 for one night. I truly do want some honest opinions and suggestions though, so please suggest any resort that you think would be a good fit regardless of cost.

TYIA!!!
My daughter just turned 9 & we stayed at Riverside in a Royal Room in September. It was so nice & a lot of fun. The Royal Room was pretty magical, especially the headboards with the fireworks. It's been our favorite room so far.

I personally believe Disney resorts can be a destination in themselves. My kids have been to WDW ever year since 2014. Sometimes for 1 park day only, sometimes for a whole week and other times for no park time at all. While they love the parks, they don't mind just doing some resort time or visiting Disney Springs. Before booking POR last summer for our two nights (no parks) I checked other hotels in Orlando and all had a minimum height for the water slides. Since my then 5 yo daughter #1 request for her birthday stay was to have waterslide and she didn't have the minimum height required elsewhere, Disney was the best choice. Proximity to Disney Springs was also really great and we spent a fun evening there wearing our Minnie Mouse ears and eating a great dinner at Raglan Road.

I'm planning another resort-only stay for next summer, this time after our beach vacation so I can attend the Dreams 20th anniversary Pandora party. For that stay I chose AKL and again we will stay only 2 nights and no park time other than the party for me.

Just looked at the Disney reservation website for next June and there isn't any standard room at ANY property that costs $1,500 for 1 night, so I am not sure where you got that figure. I think staying onsite especially with an 8 yr old and then NOT going to any park would be a huge disappointment for them. Perhaps the 3 yr won't know the difference, but the 8yr old would. I don't get the point of staying onsite without going to any park. Honestly, the disney hotels are nice, but not a vacation destination by themselves.

I'm not sure where you got that number either. I'm going next June and before I looked at the FL resident rates, I saw nothing like that. :confused3 And I have to agree with this poster. I'm not sure it would be fair to the 8 year old to stay on resort and not do the parks. That's basically the whole focus of Disney Resorts....the closeness of all the parks. You know your children better than anyone else, just my humble thoughts. :blush:

At first, considering you will just have one day and plan pool time and DS time, I was going to vote for the close-to-DS resorts too (POR, POFQ, Saratoga). But now I'm thinking AKL or BC would be nice. At AKL, as noted above, there is the unique aspect of animals in view! Great pool and slide too. AKL could easily fill your day, and then you could bus to DS later (if you even want to leave the resort!).

I also mentioned Beach Club because of the pool. You could very, very easily spend the day at that pool. Then there is Beaches & Cream right at the pool which has a lot of different ice cream snacks. The boardwalk has surrey bikes to rent which are super fun with the kids. You can also walk to mini golf right from the BC! We easily fill up non-park days at BC, and have been doing so for many years. To cap off the night, you can watch the fireworks without even entering Epcot.

My daughter just turned 9 & we stayed at Riverside in a Royal Room in September. It was so nice & a lot of fun. The Royal Room was pretty magical, especially the headboards with the fireworks. It's been our favorite room so far.

I agree. This is the resort I would book if I was booking with the girls in mind. The water taxi to DS is nice as well.

My girls would not mind a resort day if they had just come off of a cruise, and would love the Disney feel an onsite resort gave them.

I agree with most of the posters here, pick one of the resorts that are walking distance or boat access to Disney Springs. One that appeals to you personally. I love Port Orleans Riverside but that is me.

Wait until the discount codes for June show up before you book though.

Enjoy!

One night like that...I'd stay at AKL. Eat at Sanaa. No question in my mind that you, the hubby and the kids would LOVE it!

I would agree that SSR is a good choice. If you are doing a non park "overnight-er" and plan on visiting DS. You can request the Congress Park section and have a view of DS. AND a short walk to the east side of DS.

SSR DS.JPG

For kids that age AKL would be the best! The pool is great and they will flip for the animals. You could easliy spend your time at the resort and not do disney Springs. REally when my kids were that age and when we stayed at AKL, it was work to get them to the park because they loved the animals and activities there.

Honestly, I think I'd opt for a Disney Springs hotel if Disney Springs is your main focus for this stay. Something like the Hilton Buena Vista Palace which has a pretty fabulous pool with a lazy river would be a nice option and extremely convenient to Disney Springs.

The Disney resorts are expensive because of their convenience to the parks. If you're not going to the parks, they're really REALLY overpriced, IMO. People (myself included) pay that price for all of the perks and the proximity to the parks. I don't think I'd ever stay in one of those resorts if I wasn't visiting the parks. Too many other places to stay that are actually nicer accommodations at a lower price.

But that's just me. You gotta do you! :)

TYIA!!!
We just finished a cruise this past Sunday and it was significantly cheaper to flight home Monday so we stayed at Port Orleans Riverside for one night. We spend the day lounging around the pool and then took the boat to Disney Springs in the evening. This was my first time at POR and I really enjoyed the quiet, relaxing atmosphere and my kids liked the pool.

I vote for Port Orleans Riverside in one of the Royal rooms. It was a magical stay for us. You can take the boat to Disney springs. They have great food options.

I agree. This is the resort I would book if I was booking with the girls in mind. The water taxi to DS is nice as well.

My girls would not mind a resort day if they had just come off of a cruise, and would love the Disney feel an onsite resort gave them.

I agree with all the above. I would stay in POR if the Royal Rooms are in the budget. With the age of your girls, they would love the Disney princess theming in the room. The headboard fireworks display is short but pretty. It is a pricey upgrade, however, and other rooms at POR and POFQ are great as well. You could request a Magnolia Bend mansion room at POR or you could consider a standard room at the POFQ resort. I would look at the pools in POFQ and POR and decide which would meet your needs the best. You are able to use the amenities at both resorts regardless of the one that you choose to stay in. There is an easy walking trail along the river between the two resorts.

POR also has themed and quiet pools, horse and carriage rides, catch and release fishing, surrey bike rentals, Yee Haw Bob musical entertainment on some evenings, a large food court and a table service restaurant. POFQ has a nice splash area for small children, a serpent with tongue slide in its themed pool and freshly made beignets in the food court.

I would price standard rooms at AKL when discounts become available, if you are interested in a stay there. The price difference may not be prohibitive and you can always upgrade. It is also a nice resort, but you would have to take a bus to DS. Request a partial savanna view if you book standard. You may get lucky and get to see some animals from your room's balcony! If not, though, there are lots of very nice viewing areas throughout the resort.

Good luck!

Personally, we've visited without going into the parks and have been very happy at Beach Club and Port Orleans French Quarter.

Specific to your needs, I think French Quarter would be best for access to Disney Springs, and enjoyable pool with enhanced splash pad for your youngest.

IF you choose POR and want a unique way to start or end the evening, you could also schedule a carriage ride around the resort. Price in 2012 as $45, no idea what it is now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter