Disney World to Disneyland or other DVC Crossover

Cindra

Mouseketeer
We are DVC members who have always used our vacation club points to reserve villas at Disney World. We are looking for any and all input/experiences to help us change it up next year to go the Disneyland or the other DVC locations. Please let us know any input about locations (Disneyland (GC), Vero Beach, HH, Aulani). Any and all insight will be very welcome. We don't usually go to parks in Disney World and just enjoy all of the other Disney atmosphere experiences so please submit any insight into using DVC points anywhere else including time of year, experiences, etc.

We have defiantly heard that. Is it worth trying to get that reservation - is the experience out of park good?

We have been lucky enough to have stayed at all the other resorts you mention. We live 1 hr from WDW so have stayed at all the DVC resorts there but we absolutely love VGC! Mainly bc of th location (believe it is scheduled for an upgrade soon). Everything is so close at Disneyland and VGC has an entrance right into DCA. Our kids (13, 11) will pick DL and DCA now over WDW (despite being an 1hr or so drive from WDW!) We have been to VGC 4 times 2 before Covid and 2 after. I do feel it is more difficult to get now 7 months out now v pre-Covid but we were able to get a waitlist come through for D23 this year in Sept. Like all else, depends on day and time of year you are trying to go and hopefully with the Disneyland Hotel DVC opening late next year that would help.

We are owners at BLT and VB and we also love VB. Having said that, it is a 3 hr drive for us and typically we go there for a long summer weekend once per year. 3 nights there is plenty. Not sure how they fared with Hurricane Nicole and what the beach erosion may be like now. We really loved biking all over HHI when we stayed at DHH. It is not on the beach but very easy to bike to (on paths). More restaurants and activities around HH v. VB which is a bit isolated.

We have been to Aulani 2x and hope to get back in the next year or so. It is in a more isolated location as well (for Oahu) and really like that but now with the Four Seasons next door we feel there is more activity v our first trip there when they were still working on it.

I think the biggest question I would ask is what type of trip are you looking for? What are you looking to to do? Are kids going? All of that would factor into my selection. Having said that, we have not had a disappointing stay at any of those locations.

I've only done Aulani and VGC, plus I own DVC points at both resorts. I love both resorts. Before I recommend either Aulani or VGC, some questions in addition to ngl's questions:

Would you visit Disneyland or California Adventure theme parks if you stayed at DGC?

Do you like to lounge at the beach or the pool?

Will you do activities offsite? If so, what activities do you enjoy?

Do you mind long flights and jumping multiple time zones?

Thank you for responses. Visiting parks isn't an important part of trip. Beach/pool can come into play for a couple of hours but not the focus either. Prefer shorter flights but open to all. Our Disney World vacations are often focused around active/non-park activities (resort hopping, Disney Springs entertainment, Circle D ranch, fun drink spots (ie: WL Geyser Point). All adults, no children.

The only other place we've stayed at is HHI, which we love. It's a totally different vacation than WDW. We leave in 4 days, and except for DH's golf tee times, we've done no planning. Our favorite thing to do is sit in the wooden swing behind the main lodge and watch the birds and other wildlife. I've heard that summer gets pretty busy, but we've always gone off-season the CMs there say that September and October are the best times. There's a pool, bikes to rent, and lots of recreational activities available. Love it!

Thank you for Simba's Mom. Bikes, recreational activities, relaxing sounds like a good way to spend some points other than our standard Disney World visits (which we still like but looking to expand on).

Here are my Aulani vs. GCV

Aulani
Pros:
  • Beach onsite
  • The abundance of pools and hot tubs
  • Lazy River
  • Onsite Luau
  • Unique activities offsite
  • Laid back atmosphere
  • Character greets
  • Onsite activities geared toward adults rather than just kids
  • More availability at the 7-month mark
  • Outside Aulani bubble, Aulani is located in a lovely little resort village
Cons:
  • Long flight
  • Expensive flight and car rental
  • Limited dining options

GCV
Pros:
  • Theme Parks
  • Dining Options (Theme Parks, other DL resorts, DTD)
  • Resort hop
  • Cheap and shorter flights
Cons
  • Harder to book at seven mo mark
  • If skipping the theme parks, there is not much to do outside the DL bubble
  • Outside the DL bubble, its a typical urban environment, which isn't very vacation immersive

Another vote for HHI.
Food/Drink
While the resort has limited options, the whole island is brimming with superb restaurants, bars, pubs, diners, etc. Unlike WDW which touts exceptional dining (only it often isn't and you pay a premium price on top of that), HHI offers great food at mostly acceptable prices, and most of these places are easily accessible from the resort, some within a 5-10 minute walk, in fact. Also unlike WDW, you don't have to wait until the crack of dawn a couple of months out to make reservations and hope for the best. Most can be reserved via a dining app and except for particularly busy times, reservations aren't difficult to get. Now, some local joints don't take reservations, but if you go early to these places, you can usually get in without too long of a wait.
Activities
As mentioned above, you can bike nearly everywhere on HHI as the trail system is both extensive and safe. You can rent bikes from the resort itself, though only once you arrive, so if it's a busy season, there might not be any to rent. Conversely, there are several reputable bike rental companies on the island that deliver to the resort, and you can book those ahead of time. Meanwhile, the resort itself does daily activities such as tie-dye t-shirts, making pillows, or creating wreaths. There are yard games located throughout the serene and lovely grounds of the resort such as bocce ball, giant checkers, corn hole, horse shoes, basketball, and a small putting green. You can fish or crab from the pier, take part in pool games, or just sit and drink on your balcony that will either overlook the interior of the resort, the pool, or perhaps even the marsh/channel. Of course, there are many things to do at HHI, in general, with day trips to Savannah or even Charleston.
Beach/Pool
While the resort sits a mile and a half away from the beach, it's a great beach--wide, soft, easily accessible. You can drive to the beach, take the free Disney shuttle, ride your bikes, or even walk. The Beach House also has a pool and private access to/from the beach. Many bike over and hang out at that pool, stroll the 50 yards or so to the beach and hang out there a bit, then come back to the pool, grab a drink, etc.

Overall, a visit to DHHIR is meant as one of pure relaxation, a true break from the constant go-go-go most people experience at WDW. There are plenty of Disney touches along with the best CMs anywhere. I'd give it a shot. pirate:

Vero is one of my favorite places we have traveled. We have gone for 3 years in a row and just absolutely love the resort and the laid back vibe. It has all the Disney touches and high level of service but not all the hustle and bustle. The ocean current can be a little strong for some, but we really enjoy that, as I can go to the pool if I am looking for still water. I’m not sure anything beats reading a book by the ocean with the waves crashing.

The pool area is really nice if you prefer that as well. They have a slide and a dj set up for some of the time to make it fun. There are plenty of crafts and activities to choose from as well. Some have a nominal fee and others are no charge. We have made tye dye shirts, seashell necklaces, played ping pong, shuffleboard, and miniature golf just to name a few. They also alternate between a nighttime campfire with s’mores or movie on the lawn.

Downsides include noseeums. They have signs warning about them and even offer repellant in the lobby, but I have been eaten up 2 of my 3 trips and no one else did. This last trip was just me and my DD and we both put on spray and were together the whole time but I guess they liked me more. I was miserable for a few days after we got back….worse than a mosquito bite.

Dining options are limited on site as well. They have a quick service and table service, but we don’t partake in either often. We enjoy getting out into town for dinner and will pick up groceries to be able to make sandwiches and breakfast for the rest of the trip. There isn’t much within walking distance so you need a car, but we have one because we are flying into MCO and driving to Vero from there.

Don’t have the next trip scheduled yet, but definitely already thinking about it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter