Disneyland at Christmas/Holiday Season Superthread #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks so much for all the great information, Sherry! I knew I came to the right place to get some great information! There is so much more to look for than I thought! I will definitely be following this thread!

I'm a big World of Color fan (I watched it every night of my night trip in 2011). I'd actually prefer the 60th version to the holiday version, I think.

We are planning on taking the Holiday Tour if they offer it this year. We are also going to do the dinner packages for Fantasmic and World of Colr.

I'm hoping to spend some time with MaryJo while we are there, so I'm sure that she will have some things to point out to us as well!

And thanks for the comments about Bug Land, sgrap. That sounds really cute!

And thanks for your comments, too, Corinna! I read about the candy cane making, and thought that would be neat to see. Have fun on your coast to coast trip!

Hi everyone! I hope you don't mind me invading your thread!

I'm a Disney World AP holder and DVC member, and I visit Disney World at two to three times a year, including annual December trips since 2002. I have visited Disneyland three times (twice in October for the Halloween stuff). I have been wanting to see Disneyland at Christmas time for as long as I can remember, and I'm finally taking that trip!

Actually, I'm taking what I've dubbed my Grand Adventure with my DIS friend Goofy4Tink. We are going to Disneyland and Disney World on the same trip! We are flying to Disneyland on November 28th, and staying at the Grand Californian for three nights. On December 1st, we will be staying at a hotel near LAX, and we fly to Orlando on the 2nd for a seven night stay at Disney World! This is a trip I have been talking about doing for years, and I'm excited to be finally taking my coast to coast Disney adventure!

I see from reading the thread that some of the holiday events are confirmed or rumored not to be happening this year because of the 60th, but I'm sure there will still be plenty of festive activity to go around! I am looking forward to just seeing the decorations, and also seeing the holiday overlays at HM (which I have seen on previous trips), and IASW (which I have not seen).

So, my question to all of you is what are the not to be missed holiday activities at Disneyland? Anything that is easy to miss that we should be on the lookout for?

I look forward to following this thread and getting advice from all of you Disneyland experts!

What an exciting trip you have planned!

Sherry hit a lot of the highlights of visiting DLR during the Holiday season. Last year was my first visit and it was magical. I did not think Viva Navidad would be as good as it was. I really enjoyed it. We did not have plans to seek out the Bell Ringers, but happened upon them. They were fantastic and I would make sure to see them in any of my future visits. We did the Holiday Tour and it was filled with so much information. It was nice to be able to go on IASWM, HM and Jingle Cruise (which was so cute decked out for the Holidays). The parade seating was wonderful.

Enjoy your trip!! :santa:

By the way, I don't think I mentioned this in this thread -- I know I mentioned it in the Halloween Time at DLR Superthread a while back -- but feel free to friend me on Facebook (anyone who is interested and who has a Facebook account). My page is here - https://www.facebook.com/sherry.incalifornia.1

I will be adding more photos here and there, but I do have some albums already posted. I had been keeping the page friendless and almost photo-free for the last year or so, with the intention of eventually making it a "Disney friends" account and adding a lot of photos. So I just began adding friends last month. I've got a lot of familiar DIS'ers on the list. In fact, I have added anyone who friended me as long as I saw that they had at least one mutual friend in common, or if they followed a page that I follow, or if it was someone I immediately recognized by name.

:santa::santa::santa:

I am saving this list for our trip, Sherry! I am sure we missed some of these 10 years ago. ;-) I am getting more excited just reading all of these descriptions!

One thing I loved that you didn't mention was the Christmas decorations in Bugs' Land in DCA. Very fun use of oversize items to make you feel like you are small as a bug at Christmas.

It will be very interesting to see what kind of balance DLR strikes between "60th anniversary décor/entertainment" and "Holiday season décor/entertainment." On the one hand, the 60th anniversary is a very big deal -- but it is largely a big deal for the people who love DLR and follow news/forums/websites/blogs/podcasts about it. There are many people who don't follow social media and/or don't regularly follow news about DLR, and they may show up at DLR in Nov-Dec just wanting to celebrate the holiday season. So, although I think Disney will want to keep up their Diamond décor all year, they still have to go all out for the holidays too. They are already letting some of the holiday entertainment fall by the wayside this year due to the 60th events, but they can't very well cut way back on the holiday décor too. It has to still feel like the holiday season in the parks, with all of the treats, music, lights, trees, wreaths, etc.

I love the giant decorations in A Bug's Land. Really, even in the areas where the holiday décor is a bit more sparse (Grizzly Peak, for example), it is very theme-specific. Some of the lands and areas have extensive, extravagant décor and some of the lands have very minimal touches -- but everything that is in place is theme-specific and detailed.

In fact, I wonder if Grizzly Peak will get more decorations this year because it is being expanded with the new Airfield??

Welcome.

I am planning something similar this year, but the other way round and for the Halloween season rather than the Holiday season. I will first go to Disneyland for 9 nights to enjoy the Halloween season and the new entertainment for the Diamond anniversary and then I spending 4 nights at Walt Disney World to enjoy the Food and Wine Festival and hopefully take in a Halloween Party.

I experienced the Holiday Season at Disneyland for the first time last year and I enjoyed the smaller things more than the big set pieces.

I loved resort hopping to enjoy all the Christmas decorations and listen to the carol singers.

I loved the bell ringers on Buena Vista Street.

I just loved wandering around the parks and enjoy the Christmas decorations.

I liked seeing the characters in their Holiday Costumes.

I loved seeing the candy canes being made.

As far as the bigger aspects are concerned, I loved all the three ride overlays with It's A Small World Holiday being my favourite one.

I also second Viva Navidad! I did not think I would enjoy it before the trip, but ended up absolutely loving it.

Corinna

I totally forgot to mention the candy canes! I was hoping that other people would speak up in this thread and mention some things not to miss, so I am glad that a few people did!

Thanks so much for all the great information, Sherry! I knew I came to the right place to get some great information! There is so much more to look for than I thought! I will definitely be following this thread!

I'm a big World of Color fan (I watched it every night of my night trip in 2011). I'd actually prefer the 60th version to the holiday version, I think.

We are planning on taking the Holiday Tour if they offer it this year. We are also going to do the dinner packages for Fantasmic and World of Colr.

I'm hoping to spend some time with MaryJo while we are there, so I'm sure that she will have some things to point out to us as well!

And thanks for the comments about Bug Land, sgrap. That sounds really cute!

And thanks for your comments, too, Corinna! I read about the candy cane making, and thought that would be neat to see. Have fun on your coast to coast trip!

You're very welcome -- we have a great group of people here, all with experience and information. Many of us enjoy the same things about the holidays at DLR -- but there are also many things that people experience or enjoy that others never know about or see. Some of us have had totally different experiences.

In fact, it's always tricky when dealing with this subject (telling people what to look for and showing photos, etc.). Some people don't want spoilers before going to DLR -- they want to know info and details, but not too much info and not too many details -- because they want to discover things and see things for themselves. I totally understand the "no spoilers" feeling about certain topics and certain subjects. For example, at first I wasn't sure if it was a good idea to give/show spoilers for the recent Egg-stravaganza Easter Egg Hunt in DL and DCA because the eggs were mostly very easy to spot and there wasn't much mystery to the hunt. I soon realized that people wanted spoilers.

In the case of the holiday season at DLR, though -- really, there are so many layers to it that I don't think that anyone will ever see or do everything in one trip. I am a seasoned holiday visitor to DLR -- with a keen eye for noticing details -- and there are still new things for me to discover on every trip! There is really no way that anyone will notice or do everything on their first holiday visit, which is why we're here to help point out those special little details (or important events) to look for and to not miss. I would hate to think that someone has a chance to maybe make only one holiday trip to DLR, and they may not get back for the holidays again, and they end up missing something special because they didn't know it existed before they went.

There are so many little details and nuances; so many little surprises and hidden gems; so many Christmas trees of all sizes; so many treats to sample and fun to be had... In some cases I think it's good to err on the side of caution and not give spoilers, but in this case (in this thread) I think it's better to let people know what to seek out so they don't miss anything! I think -- or at least I tell myself this -- that this thread (and its predecessors) has been good for helping people have better trips and better experiences, because they knew what to look for and what to seek out that they otherwise could have overlooked, among other details.

I will also suggest taking a minute to look at the fun window displays on Main Street and on Buena Vista Street -- they are a treat because of the cute details and themed décor! Also, there is a wide variety of Mardi Gras-inspired holiday masks around New Orleans Square, and wreaths for different countries in front of IASWH. Don't miss those.

What an exciting trip you have planned!

Sherry hit a lot of the highlights of visiting DLR during the Holiday season. Last year was my first visit and it was magical. I did not think Viva Navidad would be as good as it was. I really enjoyed it. We did not have plans to seek out the Bell Ringers, but happened upon them. They were fantastic and I would make sure to see them in any of my future visits. We did the Holiday Tour and it was filled with so much information. It was nice to be able to go on IASWM, HM and Jingle Cruise (which was so cute decked out for the Holidays). The parade seating was wonderful.

Enjoy your trip!! :santa:

It's funny -- I suspect that a lot of people were not sure if they would enjoy Viva Navidad when it first debuted in 2013. I know I wasn't entirely sure what I would think of it, but when I watched the street party/procession I was tapping my feet and humming along to the infectious music. I think it was kind of a surprise hit for many of us. I do wish that Disney would expand the international holiday celebrations in some way, to include other countries' seasonal traditions, foods and music too (I am still chomping at the bit for a European Christmas market!) -- but I don't know where they could fit all of it, and still have Viva Navidad take up that whole section of Paradise Pier as well.

I didn't think I would enjoy the Bell Ringers as much as I did. When they first appeared in 2012 I wasn't sure. When I saw them, though, I thought, "This is so perfect for Buena Vista Street!" And now I love stopping to watch them when I see them.

Last edited:
By the way, I don't think I mentioned this in this thread -- I know I mentioned it in the Halloween Time at DLR Superthread a while back -- but feel free to friend me on Facebook (anyone who is interested and who has a Facebook account). My page is here - https://www.facebook.com/sherry.incalifornia.1

I will be adding more photos here and there, but I do have some albums already posted. I had been keeping the page friendless and almost photo-free for the last year or so, with the intention of eventually making it a "Disney friends" account and adding a lot of photos. So I just began adding friends last month. I've got a lot of familiar DIS'ers on the list. In fact, I have added anyone who friended me as long as I saw that they had at least one mutual friend in common, or if they followed a page that I follow, or if it was someone I immediately recognized by name.

It's funny -- I suspect that a lot of people were not sure if they would enjoy Viva Navidad when it first debuted in 2013. I know I wasn't entirely sure what I would think of it, but when I watched the street party/procession I was tapping my feet and humming along to the infectious music. I think it was kind of a surprise hit for many of us. I do wish that Disney would expand the international holiday celebrations in some way, to include other countries' seasonal traditions, foods and music too (I am still chomping at the bit for a European Christmas market!) -- but I don't know where they could fit all of it, and still have Viva Navidad take up that whole section of Paradise Pier as well.

I didn't think I would enjoy the Bell Ringers as much as I did. When they first appeared in 2012 I wasn't sure. When I saw them, though, I thought, "This is so perfect for Buena Vista Street!" And now I love stopping to watch them when I see them.

I sent you a friend request Sherry. :)

I forgot to mention my favorite Holiday snack, the Gingerbread Mickey, with chocolate dipped ears! I could go for one right now even with the 91 degree weather. :)

I sent you a friend request Sherry. :)

I forgot to mention my favorite Holiday snack, the Gingerbread Mickey, with chocolate dipped ears! I could go for one right now even with the 91 degree weather. :)

I got the friend request! (I was on the Hallmark Channel Facebook page earlier today, as they posted a Christmas-related update on how many days there are until Christmas, and they are soon going to announce the specific dates for Christmas in July, so I am keeping watch.)

I love, love, love those gingerbread cookies. First of all, they are a good size -- not too small and not too gigantic. Also, shockingly, they have not increased in price over the last several years -- they have pretty much stayed the same price for years. The chocolate has a good flavor to it -- you know how some chocolate tastes weird? I was worried that the buttons and ears would taste weird, but they are good.

Interestingly, several years ago they decided to start selling the cookies year-round at DLR, in assorted places. I really prefer them to be seasonal and not sold all year long, but I am flexible in terms of what a "season" is. In other words, if they start rolling out the Halloween merchandise in August, then I am fine with the gingerbread cookies coming out in August too. If they keep It's a Small World Holiday open until mid-to-late January and close the DTD ice rink in February, I am fine with the cookies being retired in January or February too. I just don't necessarily think those cookies should be sold in spring and early summer! (They already sell shortbread cookies shaped exactly like the gingerbread cookies, and they have different colored chocolate ears and swim trunks and things like that.)

In any case, after that decision to sell the gingerbread Mickey ears cookies year-round, a few years ago I was told by a Cast Member at Trolley Treats on Buena Vista Street that the cookies were almost discontinued!!!! :faint: :confused: How on earth could Disney go from wanting to sell the cookies year-round, in multiple stores, to wanting to discontinue them from all stores? The Trolley Treats CM told me that the cookies had been discontinued for a week or two (just before the holiday season began) and she thought they had seen the last of them, and then suddenly they got some more in.

So if it boils down to a choice between the gingerbread Mickey ears cookies being available all year long or not being available at all, ever, I'd rather have them there year-round.

I have to admit, though, the best gingerbread cookie I have had at Disneyland was the "zombie" cookie that was part of Limited Time Magic on September 13, 2013. It was released in honor of the 9-13-13 date/Friday the 13th/13th year of Haunted Mansion Holiday (same day they had the Unleash the Villains madness), and was only sold in one or two places in New Orleans Square. The zombie cookie (it was called the Spooky Kooky cookie) was shaped and frosted to look like the cute little zombies in Haunted Mansion Holiday, and it was delicious! I had the cookie on the very first day it hit the park (they had just gotten in the supply early that morning), and the sun was so strong that the frosting began to melt right away. But the gingerbread was soft, fresh and delicious! Yum!

I got the friend request! (I was on the Hallmark Channel Facebook page earlier today, as they posted a Christmas-related update on how many days there are until Christmas, and they are soon going to announce the specific dates for Christmas in July, so I am keeping watch.)

I love, love, love those gingerbread cookies. First of all, they are a good size -- not too small and not too gigantic. Also, shockingly, they have not increased in price over the last several years -- they have pretty much stayed the same price for years. The chocolate has a good flavor to it -- you know how some chocolate tastes weird? I was worried that the buttons and ears would taste weird, but they are good.

Interestingly, several years ago they decided to start selling the cookies year-round at DLR, in assorted places. I really prefer them to be seasonal and not sold all year long, but I am flexible in terms of what a "season" is. In other words, if they start rolling out the Halloween merchandise in August, then I am fine with the gingerbread cookies coming out in August too. If they keep It's a Small World Holiday open until mid-to-late January and close the DTD ice rink in February, I am fine with the cookies being retired in January or February too. I just don't necessarily think those cookies should be sold in spring and early summer! (They already sell shortbread cookies shaped exactly like the gingerbread cookies, and they have different colored chocolate ears and swim trunks and things like that.)

In any case, after that decision to sell the gingerbread Mickey ears cookies year-round, a few years ago I was told by a Cast Member at Trolley Treats on Buena Vista Street that the cookies were almost discontinued!!!! :faint: :confused: How on earth could Disney go from wanting to sell the cookies year-round, in multiple stores, to wanting to discontinue them from all stores? The Trolley Treats CM told me that the cookies had been discontinued for a week or two (just before the holiday season began) and she thought they had seen the last of them, and then suddenly they got some more in.

So if it boils down to a choice between the gingerbread Mickey ears cookies being available all year long or not being available at all, ever, I'd rather have them there year-round.

I have to admit, though, the best gingerbread cookie I have had at Disneyland was the "zombie" cookie that was part of Limited Time Magic on September 13, 2013. It was released in honor of the 9-13-13 date/Friday the 13th/13th year of Haunted Mansion Holiday (same day they had the Unleash the Villains madness), and was only sold in one or two places in New Orleans Square. The zombie cookie (it was called the Spooky Kooky cookie) was shaped and frosted to look like the cute little zombies in Haunted Mansion Holiday, and it was delicious! I had the cookie on the very first day it hit the park (they had just gotten in the supply early that morning), and the sun was so strong that the frosting began to melt right away. But the gingerbread was soft, fresh and delicious! Yum!
Oh my goodness, those gingerbread Mickey's sound amazing. Sherry, is there a list of 'must-try' treats at Christmas time? :flower:That could probably be its own thread. :rotfl: I think I'd better start my list now. ha ha

Oh my goodness, those gingerbread Mickey's sound amazing. Sherry, is there a list of 'must-try' treats at Christmas time? :flower:That could probably be its own thread. :rotfl: I think I'd better start my list now. ha ha

The gingerbread Mickey cookies probably should have been around when you went to DLR for Halloween Time last year. They are usually sold in any of the places that sell candy and sweets (Candy Palace, Marceline's in DTD, Trolley Treats, etc.). Did you not see them?

There have been lots of threads in the past about seasonal goodies. Eventually they fade into the mist, and all roads lead back to this thread! Lol.

I am still planning to put together my list of holiday season sweet and savory foods (I have a single post set aside for it on page 1), just like the one I typed up for the Fall/Halloween Time foods last year. I've had to put it on the backburner several times because I want to do it right, and that involves researching a lot of different sites, as well as using my memory. I need a good block of time to prepare it the way I want to prepare it. The holiday season is more involved than Halloween Time as far as food, though, and there are different sub-categories of food during the season, i.e., Thanksgiving food, Hanukkah food, Viva Navidad food, Christmas food, New Year's food, Three Kings Day food, any food related to special events -- like if Frozen Fun is back in full force for the whole holiday season this year, then I have to include that food too -- food sold next to the gingerbread house in the GCH lobby, etc. Also, some of the food that pops up on the scene for Halloween Time will actually stick around until Thanksgiving (some of the pumpkin items), so those need to be included on the list too! Lol.

I think that looking at last year's Treats & Treasures Theme Week photos is a good place to start to get a sense of what kinds of goodies there are to be found. Of course there are always seasonal cupcakes, cake pops, cookies, brownies, pretzel rods, fudge, muffins, marshmallows, funnel cakes, smoothies, hot drinks, cotton candy, etc. There should be peppermint ice cream sold at the various ice cream places (though that was a fiasco in 2013). Last year the popular seasonal demitasse dessert was retired in the version that we know (it used to be sold in a ceramic mug), but I am hoping it comes back eventually.

There should be special savory dishes at the restaurants in New Orleans Square, and probably at Carnation Café as well

There are things like holiday pretzels (pre-packaged), holiday candy corn, holiday lollipops, Rice Crispy snacks, etc.

Last edited:

The gingerbread Mickey cookies probably should have been around when you went to DLR for Halloween Time last year. They are usually sold in any of the places that sell candy and sweets (Candy Palace, Marceline's in DTD, Trolley Treats, etc.). Did you not see them?

There have been lots of threads in the past about seasonal goodies. Eventually they fade into the mist, and all roads lead back to this thread! Lol.

I am still planning to put together my list of holiday season sweet and savory foods (I have a single post set aside for it on page 1), just like the one I typed up for the Fall/Halloween Time foods last year. I've had to put it on the backburner several times because I want to do it right, and that involves researching a lot of different sites, as well as using my memory. I need a good block of time to prepare it the way I want to prepare it. The holiday season is more involved than Halloween Time as far as food, though, and there are different sub-categories of food during the season, i.e., Thanksgiving food, Hanukkah food, Viva Navidad food, Christmas food, New Year's food, Three Kings Day food, any food related to special events -- like if Frozen Fun is back in full force for the whole holiday season this year, then I have to include that food too -- food sold next to the gingerbread house in the GCH lobby, etc. Also, some of the food that pops up on the scene for Halloween Time will actually stick around until Thanksgiving (some of the pumpkin items), so those need to be included on the list too! Lol.

I think that looking at last year's Treats & Treasures Theme Week photos is a good place to start to get a sense of what kinds of goodies there are to be found. Of course there are always seasonal cupcakes, cake pops, cookies, brownies, pretzel rods, fudge, muffins, marshmallows, funnel cakes, smoothies, hot drinks, cotton candy, etc. There should be peppermint ice cream sold at the various ice cream places (though that was a fiasco in 2013). Last year the popular seasonal demitasse dessert was retired in the version that we know (it used to be sold in a ceramic mug), but I am hoping it comes back eventually.

There should be special savory dishes at the restaurants in New Orleans Square, and probably at Carnation Café as well

There are things like holiday pretzels (pre-packaged), holiday candy corn, holiday lollipops, Rice Crispy snacks, etc.
Must have missed the gingerbread Mickey, rats! Wow, what a huge undertaking--you are so amazing to keep these threads going for us to benefit from! I will take a look at the Treats and Treasures week photos. It all sounds amazing!

It would be awful if they didn't have gingerbread cookies during the holiday season. I mean what is Christmas without gingerbread? I hope they never take them away! I don't usually crave gingerbread until the fall/winter time, but for some reason, I could go for one now. :)

Your Spooky Kooky cookie sounds wonderful. Too bad the frosting started to melt, but at least the taste was top notch!

I bought the Mickey gingerbread cookie cutter when I was there last holiday season. I made some using the mix it came with for Christmas Eve. I even dipped the ears in chocolate and had M&M buttons, but it was no where near the soft wonderful goodness of what is in the parks. I rolled out the dough too thin, so while they were a little crispier than I would have liked, they were still decently soft and had a good flavor. I am hoping to find a good soft, chewy gingerbread recipe for this holiday season.

There is a slight possibility we might make it back this holiday season. We have far more airline/hotel points (from my husband's work travels) than I thought. That will cut down some of the wedding travel costs for us tremendously. I am still working out the budget, but it is holding out some promise. :) Nothing definite yet, but there is a glimmer of hope.

Must have missed the gingerbread Mickey, rats! Wow, what a huge undertaking--you are so amazing to keep these threads going for us to benefit from! I will take a look at the Treats and Treasures week photos. It all sounds amazing!

Thank you so much for the kind words. :goodvibes: It is a lot of work to create, assemble, organize and maintain these Holiday and Halloween threads (especially this one, because it involves the Theme Week Countdown as well), but I took them on years ago because I love these particular holidays and I think the effort is worth it in the long run. When the information is not there, then people will complain that there is no info for this or that or the other. When the info is there, people don't look at it, or they avoid the threads because they are too overwhelming, long, whatever. I'd rather err on the side of caution and put the info there, and people can use it or not but at least it's there! It's just that it does take a while to put things together and format them, and to do it right it can't be done in the blink of an eye. So I have to tackle things when I have blocks of time to tackle them, and that may not always be immediately.

I forgot to mention in my previous post -- there are Holiday apples too! Every season or major special event involves at least one (and usually multiple) themed version of an apple!

It would be awful if they didn't have gingerbread cookies during the holiday season. I mean what is Christmas without gingerbread? I hope they never take them away! I don't usually crave gingerbread until the fall/winter time, but for some reason, I could go for one now. :)

Your Spooky Kooky cookie sounds wonderful. Too bad the frosting started to melt, but at least the taste was top notch!

I bought the Mickey gingerbread cookie cutter when I was there last holiday season. I made some using the mix it came with for Christmas Eve. I even dipped the ears in chocolate and had M&M buttons, but it was no where near the soft wonderful goodness of what is in the parks. I rolled out the dough too thin, so while they were a little crispier than I would have liked, they were still decently soft and had a good flavor. I am hoping to find a good soft, chewy gingerbread recipe for this holiday season.

There is a slight possibility we might make it back this holiday season. We have far more airline/hotel points (from my husband's work travels) than I thought. That will cut down some of the wedding travel costs for us tremendously. I am still working out the budget, but it is holding out some promise. :) Nothing definite yet, but there is a glimmer of hope.

I think that the Spooky Kooky cookie was so good because it had just arrived at the parks that day -- it was baked offsite and then brought in. It was still fresh and soft. But I cannot let a holiday season go by without a gingerbread Mickey ears cookie at DLR. I don't think I can eat gingerbread any other way at this point. I happened to try a gingerbread cookie at Subway last year -- they had some in stock for a limited time, and I got one when I went in to get a sandwich -- and they just didn't wow me. First of all, there were no Mickey ears on the cookie. That was the first problem! Then, the other issue was that they just didn't taste like the gingerbread I have gotten used to. They tasted more like sugar-gingerbread cookies.

I hope that you are able to make it back to DLR this holiday season, even if the chance is slight! Even though I know it will be hectic, costly and tough to swing with all of the other things going on, it will probably be worth it to see whatever is happening this year for both the holidays and for the 60th.

(Non-Disney) Hallmark Channel holiday season news:

I have been waiting for Hallmark to release details of the upcoming Christmas in July mini-marathon -- it will probably last anywhere from 10 - 14 days, I am guessing -- such as exact dates and whether or not there will be a new movie premiere. I think it will start on July 3rd, but I am waiting for confirmation.

To my surprise, today a press release came out about the main event -- the mega-Countdown to Christmas marathon, a 2-month holiday movie extravaganza that essentially takes us from Halloween into the New Year.

Apparently this year, within the context of the Countdown to Christmas (and remember, there will be 15 or 16 all new movies premiering during the 2 months!!!!), there is going to be "Thanksgiving Week," from 11/23 to 11/29. And from Wednesday, 11/25 - Sunday, 11/29, FIVE of those 15 or 16 new movies are going to debut, back to back -- one each night! Hallmark has never premiered new holiday movies over the course of five nights like that -- usually we get 2 new movies each weekend, and maybe a bonus movie on a Friday or something. So to do this on Thanksgiving and over Thanksgiving weekend -- when a lot of people will be out of town or busy with family -- is an interesting choice. I'm not sure it's the wisest choice, but we'll see...

Nonetheless, here is the press release - http://www.hallmarkchannelpress.com/PressReleaseList/Details?SiteID=142&NodeID=144&ID=485

The Countdown to Christmas is supposed to be starting on Halloween weekend, from what Hallmark has said on their Facebook pages, although I don't know which date it will be. The marathon usually lasts through New Year's Eve or New Year's Day.

I just posted a similar bit of news over in the Halloween Time Superthread, and now it is time to post here! There is no Disneyland Holiday season news yet, but while we are waiting... it's time to continue rolling out the "Holiday TV news" (something I do every year)!! Yesterday I told you about the latest developments in Hallmark's Countdown to Christmas marathon, and here is some news from the Food Network/Cooking Channel camp:

Coming this year to Food Network in the Fall:

New Primetime Series

Holiday Wars -- Series Premiere: November 2015
Food Network puts viewers in a real-life holiday wonderland with new series, Holiday Wars (wt). In this six-episode competition, teams comprised of sugar artists, bakers and food artists must work in unison to create delicious edible holiday displays. One team is eliminated each week, judged not only on the look of their creations, but also on the taste of the cookies and treats they create, with the winner taking home a large cash prize. It is a holiday dream come true! Produced by Super Delicious for Food Network

Returning Primetime Series

Holiday Baking Championship -- Season Two Premiere: November 2015
The search to find the greatest holiday baker continues as ten bakers enter the Holiday Kitchen where they show off their superb baking skills and know-how. In order to survive the challenges week-to-week and win the $50,000 grand prize, they must prove their abilities in front of tough-love judges: Nancy Fuller, Duff Goldman and Lorraine Pascale. Hosted by Bobby Deen, this baking championship is the sweetest way to celebrate this holiday season. Produced by Triage Entertainment for Food Network

New Daytime Series

Giada’s Holiday Handbook -- Series Premiere: October 2015
Giada’s Holiday Handbook is the ultimate resource for creative, doable and fun entertaining ideas. In each episode, host Giada De Laurentiis tackles an entertaining or holiday-focused theme, and offers a clever and accessible plan for pulling off the perfect party. Whether it is a big holiday bash or an intimate meal with the family, Giada can help you make it a success! Produced by Linguine Pictures for Food Network

Specials

A Barefoot Thanksgiving -- Premiere: November 2015
Ina Garten is joined by Bobby Flay in this entertaining special just in time for the Thanksgiving holiday. Ina and Bobby prepare a delicious Thanksgiving feast and share the much-needed cooking advice, delicious recipes and entertaining tips you need to prepare your own perfect Thanksgiving menu. Produced by Pacific for Food Network

The Pioneer Woman Thanksgiving Special -- Premiere: November 2015
Join host Ree Drummond as she whips up a Thanksgiving feast fit for friends, family, cowboys and ranchers alike! Ree pulls out all the stops for this most festive of occasions with a bountiful menu of delectable dishes and scrumptious desserts that are sure to leave guests feeling thankful (and wanting more)! Produced by Pacific for Food Network

A Barefoot Holiday -- Premiere: December 2015
Ina Garten visits her friends in New England for a Christmas celebration to remember! She travels to the Berkshires to plan and enjoy a fabulous Christmas of food and fun with her friends and family, then returns home to the Hamptons to create delicious and bright menus perfect for the holidays. Produced by Pacific for Food Network

Christmas at Bobby’s -- Premiere: December 2015
Bobby Flay is hosting a Christmas dinner to remember with the help of some special friends. From appetizers to drinks, the main course to dessert, and everything in between, delicious holiday dishes are prepared for the festive feast. Helpful how-to's and personal stories are shared, as all the holiday courses are prepared leading up to the most delicious Christmas feast with friends. Produced by Rock Shrimp for Food Network

And over on the Cooking Channel you will find:

Rosanna Pansino Baking Specials -- Premiere: October/December 2015
Youtube baking sensation Rosanna Pansino joins the Cooking Channel family for two specials focused on Halloween and the holidays. For Halloween she shares her favorite ghoulish treats and her best food-inspired costume ideas as she gets ready to celebrate the spookiest of holidays. Then Rosanna goes all out for the holidays as she preps amazing meals and her signature sweet treats for a holiday extravaganza of delicious proportions. Produced by Magical Elves for Cooking Channel

Source: http://www.scrippsnetworksinteracti...-and-Cooking-Channel's-2015-Upfront-Menu.aspx

I'm looking forward to the premiere of Holiday Wars -- hopefully it will be as good as Halloween Wars!!!

I'm sure there will be much more news of Holiday TV specials/marathons/schedules as the months progress.

Last edited:
(Non-Disney) Hallmark Channel holiday season news:

I have been waiting for Hallmark to release details of the upcoming Christmas in July mini-marathon -- it will probably last anywhere from 10 - 14 days, I am guessing -- such as exact dates and whether or not there will be a new movie premiere. I think it will start on July 3rd, but I am waiting for confirmation.

To my surprise, today a press release came out about the main event -- the mega-Countdown to Christmas marathon, a 2-month holiday movie extravaganza that essentially takes us from Halloween into the New Year.

Apparently this year, within the context of the Countdown to Christmas (and remember, there will be 15 or 16 all new movies premiering during the 2 months!!!!), there is going to be "Thanksgiving Week," from 11/23 to 11/29. And from Wednesday, 11/25 - Sunday, 11/29, FIVE of those 15 or 16 new movies are going to debut, back to back -- one each night! Hallmark has never premiered new holiday movies over the course of five nights like that -- usually we get 2 new movies each weekend, and maybe a bonus movie on a Friday or something. So to do this on Thanksgiving and over Thanksgiving weekend -- when a lot of people will be out of town or busy with family -- is an interesting choice. I'm not sure it's the wisest choice, but we'll see...

Nonetheless, here is the press release - http://www.hallmarkchannelpress.com/PressReleaseList/Details?SiteID=142&NodeID=144&ID=485

The Countdown to Christmas is supposed to be starting on Halloween weekend, from what Hallmark has said on their Facebook pages, although I don't know which date it will be. The marathon usually lasts through New Year's Eve or New Year's Day.

I do love when you bring us Hallmark Holiday news! :jumping1: It is interesting that they will be having a Thanksgiving week with premieres back to back for five nights. Once we have our big Thanksgiving meal on Thursday, we are usually home putting up Christmas decorations. We don't go shopping that weekend at all. Having a new movie to record each night that I can watch for five days is a good fit for me.

I hope the mini event in July starts on the 5th, since I will be out of town until then. Even if it does start earlier I will be sure to record my favorites or anything I missed in the past.

I got to watch All of My Heart with Lacey Chabert. You were right, it was good. The perfect Hallmark movie fare. I loved Gabby the goat and the twins. :goodvibes The casting worked and the storyline was sweet. All the baked goodies looked really yummy too! I have recorded Bridal Wave w
ith Arielle Kebbel to watch soon too. I missed that when it first aired, I believe in February.

Thanks for the Hallmark update!

I just posted a similar bit of news over in the Halloween Time Superthread, and now it is time to post here! There is no Disneyland Holiday season news yet, but while we are waiting... it's time to continue rolling out the "Holiday TV news" (something I do every year)!! Yesterday I told you about the latest developments in Hallmark's Countdown to Christmas marathon, and here is some news from the Food Network/Cooking Channel camp:

Coming this year to Food Network in the Fall:

New Primetime Series

Holiday Wars -- Series Premiere: November 2015

Returning Primetime Series

Holiday Baking Championship -- Season Two Premiere: November 2015

New Daytime Series

Giada’s Holiday Handbook -- Series Premiere: October 2015

Specials

A Barefoot Thanksgiving -- Premiere: November 2015

The Pioneer Woman Thanksgiving Special -- Premiere: November 2015

A Barefoot Holiday -- Premiere: December 2015

Christmas at Bobby’s -- Premiere: December 2015

And over on the Cooking Channel you will find:

Rosanna Pansino Baking Specials -- Premiere: October/December 2015

Source: http://www.scrippsnetworksinteracti...-and-Cooking-Channel's-2015-Upfront-Menu.aspx

I'm looking forward to the premiere of Holiday Wars -- hopefully it will be as good as Halloween Wars!!!

I'm sure there will be much more news of Holiday TV specials/marathons/schedules as the months progress.

Yay, more holiday programming! I am looking forward to Holiday Wars and Holiday Baking Championship! The only problem with Food Network/Cooking Channel programs is that it makes me so hungry watching them!

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, I really hope we get those shows here so I can record them- otherwise my mum will spend her first trip to the US in the hotel glued to the Food Network!

(Non-Disney-related) Breaking Hallmark Channel Christmas in July news!!!

While Hallmark has not publicly announced its Christmas in July line-up yet, the schedule has leaked out -- courtesy of the site It's a Wonderful Movie.

As I predicted, Christmas in July is taking place from Friday, July 3 - Sunday, July 12 (10 days, just like in 2014). It is not going to be an all day/all night event. Some of the days will only have 4 or 5 movies.

There are some really strange omissions from the list this year -- Angels and Ornaments from 2014 is not there. The Christmas Shepherd from 2014 is not there. Finding Christmas from 2013 is not there. :confused:

Thank the heavens they aren't showing One Christmas Eve or Mr. Miracle, because I couldn't hang with seeing those again. But Northpole is airing 4 times, which is unnecessary.

One of my all-time favorites, The Most Wonderful Time of the Year, is only airing one time. That's it. Naughty or Nice -- one time only. Other favorites -- The Christmas Ornament, A Very Merry Mix-Up and Snow Bride -- are only airing 2 times in all of the 10 days. :sad: The Nine Lives of Christmas and Let it Snow are on 3 or 4 times.

For some weird reason, Hallmark decided to throw Home Alone into the schedule this year -- even though it is not a Hallmark movie and even though it can be seen anywhere at any time. I think I passed by it on a cable channel the other day. The slots that Hallmark is devoting to that movie could have gone to other movies they left off!

Anyway, here is the full list/schedule -- and hopefully it will be tweaked before July, to include some of the missing movies - http://itsawonderfulmovie.blogspot.com/2015/05/christmas-in-july-2015-schedule-hallmark-channel.html

Last edited:
joining in. Won't be going this year :( but I was in Disneyland last November for the Christmas season and loved it. Shameless plug but my trip report is currently still on going for my November trip if people want to follow along it should be linked in my sig below.

joining in. Won't be going this year :( but I was in Disneyland last November for the Christmas season and loved it. Shameless plug but my trip report is currently still on going for my November trip if people want to follow along it should be linked in my sig below.

Hi there, petals! :wave:

I remember that you got very sick in the middle of your holiday trip last year -- but managed to salvage it and have a good time anyway, thankfully.

Is your TR still not finished? I've had your TR linked in the Trip Reviews/Recaps section of page 1 for quite a while -- in fact, I have been meaning to add some additional reviews and recaps to the list, but then this board changed to a different layout and platform and a lot of my links and formatting went awry so I got discouraged -- but the last time I had checked in on it was shortly after you began reporting on the November trip.

Hi there, petals! :wave:

I remember that you got very sick in the middle of your holiday trip last year -- but managed to salvage it and have a good time anyway, thankfully.
I was sick for the entire trip, lost my voice, had a bad cold and chest infection probably. It didn't actually clear up until January ended up with Bronchitis/pneumonia but I was determined not to let it stop the trip no matter how bad I was lol!

Is your TR still not finished? I've had your TR linked in the Trip Reviews/Recaps section of page 1 for quite a while -- in fact, I have been meaning to add some additional reviews and recaps to the list, but then this board changed to a different layout and platform and a lot of my links and formatting went awry so I got discouraged -- but the last time I had checked in on it was shortly after you began reporting on the November trip.
I'm really slow reporting plus I had around 4000 pictures for 10 days lol. I was in a local musical and had a bit of a major upset recently though which has slowed down the reporting. Will be back on track soon so keep following :)

So my husband just agreed to a short trip to DL on the week leading up to Christmas. We've taken the kids twice in the summer, but this time it will just be us! Hoping to focus on restaurants, shows, and just enjoying the atmosphere. So I'll be looking at this board often! Thanks for all the info!

I'm sorry - I don't have time to read through this entire thread and see if anything was previously posted on this subject.

My cousins have danced in the Christmas Parade in the past few years, and were going to be filmed for the TV version again this winter. This year, however, they are being told there is no Christmas Parade. They were told they will be going to dance on stage for a show there on the normal recording weekend, but there is not a parade to be filmed in this year.

Take this with a grain of salt, but it is what is going around. Will they just film at WDW and show stage shows/musical performances from the Land on Christmas?

Is the 60th stuff going to be year-round?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter