Disneyland at Christmas/Holiday Season Superthread #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
And what about that long-rumored return of the Christmas star perched atop the Matterhorn's craggy peak?? :confused:
Sherry, thank you so much for the updates! Unfortunately, I have a feeling that this is not the year for the Christmas star. There is fire that shoots out the top of the Matterhorn during the Finding Nemo sequence in the Disneyland Forever fireworks. See this photo:
http://www.hiddenmickeyguy.com/sites/default/files/_admin2.x/Disneyland Forever Matterhorn volcano Mount Wannahockaloogie (Paul Hiffmeyer,Disneyland Resort) photo(c)Disney.jpg

I don't see how they could make the star work, unless they decided not run DF during the holidays :(

Sherry, thank you so much for the updates! Unfortunately, I have a feeling that this is not the year for the Christmas star. There is fire that shoots out the top of the Matterhorn during the Finding Nemo sequence in the Disneyland Forever fireworks. See this photo:
http://www.hiddenmickeyguy.com/sites/default/files/_admin2.x/Disneyland Forever Matterhorn volcano Mount Wannahockaloogie (Paul Hiffmeyer,Disneyland Resort) photo(c)Disney.jpg

I don't see how they could make the star work, unless they decided not run DF during the holidays :(

You're welcome -- and thank you for reminding me about the Matterhorn's role in DF! For some reason I keep forgetting Disneyland Forever's effects and projections in different spots. I think that although, logically, I know that DF will probably continue to be presented for years to come, subconsciously I am still thinking it's a temporary thing. :lmao: I can't seem to lock into it as permanent or long-lasting! :lmao:

I suspect that if Disney really wanted to put the star on the top (or near the top) of the Matterhorn they could work some Disney magic, sprinkle some pixie dust and figure out a way to do it. However, who knows if it was ever really a serious consideration? It could have been a plan that was dropped and abandoned a year ago, or it may never have been a plan at all! :lmao: It was a rumor generated by MiceAge/MiceChat and, I think, also WDWMagic, perhaps. Supposedly it was being considered at one time -- and seeing that the Hatbox Ghost returned this year, it would be as good a year as any to bring the star back. Disney may have decided -- "Well, we'll bring the Hatbox Ghost back and that will be enough"!

It is interesting that Erin did not mention one single thing that was going to be happening during the holiday season in her Parks Blog. She probably figured, "I'd better get these dates posted before people start hounding me again" (as was the case for the Halloween Time dates). :lmao:

That means there will have to be a whole separate blog about the actual content of the holiday season.

:santa::santa:

Well, yesterday I was questioning whether or not Jingle Cruise would return this year for the holidays. It was back for a second year in 2014, with a lot more holiday touches and decorations (and aromas), but it was not listed among the holiday offerings on the DLR website -- almost as if Disney did not want to commit to it or remind people of it.

So, now I really wonder if Jingle Cruise will be back this year, in light of this....

"Jungle Cruise Sunrise Safari Breakfast Experience Coming to Disneyland Park" -- Disney Parks Blog; posted on September 4th, 2015 by Rachel Brent, Food & Beverage Marketing Communications Coordinator - http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...e-safari-breakfast-coming-to-disneyland-park/.

(On select dates from September 21 to December 2, 2015.)

Since Disney is planning to run this Sunrise Safari Breakfast Experience from September 21 until December 2nd, that means -- presumably -- that Jungle Cruise will not be able to close down for the holiday overlay to be installed pre-November 13th. But... since it is only scheduled up to December 2nd (a Wednesday), does that mean they will put up the holiday décor post-December 2nd? It seems unlikely that Disney would close the ride for an overlay in December, when the holiday season is really kicking in.

So, sadly, my guess is... no Jingle Cruise this year. I don't see how it could be done (unless they put up the decorations without closing the ride -- which is what they did in 2013, when the decorations were minimal). :sad::sad2:

Last edited:
Yep, I think you're probably right about no holiday overlay for JC. I am not heartbroken about this since it's unlikely that I will be able to get down there late enough in the year to see it, but it's a bummer for everyone else for sure. I was planning to go for a few days the weekend before Thanksgiving, but it looks like I now have to take a trip to Santa Barbara for work the weekend of Nov 7th, so I will try to hit DLR around then instead. Hopefully I will get to see some Christmas décor and merchandise, but I will miss (or would have missed) things like JC, Viva Navidad, Santa and the hotels all decked out. We'll see. I REALLY wanted to see Viva Navidad this year since we were not able to fit it in last year. Oh well, hopefully it will stay around for the next few years. We also missed seeing Jingle Cruise last year too since DS7 never wanted to ride it. I'm looking forward to seeing more details about the holiday offerings!

Hey, speaking of holiday overlays, what other rides do you think would be good candidates for a holiday overlay? I'm trying to think of something but all I can come up with is Monsters, Inc.

Yep, I think you're probably right about no holiday overlay for JC. I am not heartbroken about this since it's unlikely that I will be able to get down there late enough in the year to see it, but it's a bummer for everyone else for sure. I was planning to go for a few days the weekend before Thanksgiving, but it looks like I now have to take a trip to Santa Barbara for work the weekend of Nov 7th, so I will try to hit DLR around then instead. Hopefully I will get to see some Christmas décor and merchandise, but I will miss (or would have missed) things like JC, Viva Navidad, Santa and the hotels all decked out. We'll see. I REALLY wanted to see Viva Navidad this year since we were not able to fit it in last year. Oh well, hopefully it will stay around for the next few years. We also missed seeing Jingle Cruise last year too since DS7 never wanted to ride it. I'm looking forward to seeing more details about the holiday offerings!

Hey, speaking of holiday overlays, what other rides do you think would be good candidates for a holiday overlay? I'm trying to think of something but all I can come up with is Monsters, Inc.

You'll definitely see some decorations in the parks, and hopefully get the It's a Small World Holiday soft opening too (which would be around 11/6 or 11/7 if it happens this year).

Well, any candidate for an overlay has to be a fairly slow and/or long ride. It can't be something that is super fast and short. Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy can be installed in a day or two -- the overlay is not terrible extensive, though, because the ride is so fast and it's not like anyone is really going to be looking at details.

And then, among the slower rides, the theme has to lend itself well to an overlay. Obviously POTC is a long and slow enough ride -- but, thematically speaking, I think that people would complain loudly if it ever received a jolly Christmas overlay! :lmao: Maybe it could get away with a Halloween-ish overlay.

The Storybook Land Canal Boats get the teeny tiny decorations, but Disney doesn't really advertise it. I think they could make a bigger deal of it, and advertise it as a ride with an overlay.

How about the Little Mermaid ride -- Christmas Under the Sea? It's long enough and slow enough.

Supposedly there was originally going to be a Halloween overlay and a Holiday overlay for TSMM, but neither one has ever appeared. Since "Toy Story 4" is opening in 2017, I wonder if that might be the year for one of the overlays to finally happen.

So, sadly, my guess is... no Jingle Cruise this year. I don't see how it could be done (unless they put up the decorations without closing the ride -- which is what they did in 2013, when the decorations were minimal). :sad::sad2:
:santa:

I am sad too ... :sad1: But I am more sad about the Jingle Jamboree ... we loved this area with all the activities and characters wandering around. And we will definitely be booking one or two reservations at Big Thunder Ranch BBQ during our Dec trip. I am a Star Wars fan but Jillian is not so she is not too happy with all the changes! LOL

You'll definitely see some decorations in the parks, and hopefully get the It's a Small World Holiday soft opening too (which would be around 11/6 or 11/7 if it happens this year).

Well, any candidate for an overlay has to be a fairly slow and/or long ride. It can't be something that is super fast and short. Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy can be installed in a day or two -- the overlay is not terrible extensive, though, because the ride is so fast and it's not like anyone is really going to be looking at details.

And then, among the slower rides, the theme has to lend itself well to an overlay. Obviously POTC is a long and slow enough ride -- but, thematically speaking, I think that people would complain loudly if it ever received a jolly Christmas overlay! :lmao: Maybe it could get away with a Halloween-ish overlay.

The Storybook Land Canal Boats get the teeny tiny decorations, but Disney doesn't really advertise it. I think they could make a bigger deal of it, and advertise it as a ride with an overlay.

How about the Little Mermaid ride -- Christmas Under the Sea? It's long enough and slow enough.

Supposedly there was originally going to be a Halloween overlay and a Holiday overlay for TSMM, but neither one has ever appeared. Since "Toy Story 4" is opening in 2017, I wonder if that might be the year for one of the overlays to finally happen.

I agree that POTC would not be a good candidate for an overlay. I would probably be one of the people complaining loudly if that happened! I agree, Christmas Under the Sea would be wonderful!
I'm going to have to watch for the teeny tiny decorations on the Storybook ride. That's another one we didn't go on last year. I'm kinda glad this will be a solo trip because my son never wants to go on the rides that I like! Except for Pirates, oh and IASW, he likes that one. I also seem to miss all the little details when he's with me, so I'm hoping for a lot more holiday photos this year, and shopping, and eating...YAY!

OK, most of that photography talk went right over my head . . . but I got a new camera just before Christmas with a nice telephoto lens, and by March I was in severe elbow pain. Started physical therapy in May. It is improving but I am still in PT, slowly phasing out. I had joked about it being from the camera (it started acting up when we were on vacation), but this makes me wonder even more. I try to remember to hold it with my left arm more now. I have heard people talk about cross-body straps for their cameras, have you tried that? I'm wondering if that would work for me on our Disney trip in November. I have a Nikon D5300.

I love my cross body strap from Phat Straps! You can get whatever print you want & line it with minky, so it's soft on your neck. Also, imho, way easy to walk around with than having a camera dangling in front of me.

However, I don't think it affects how I hold the camera when I'm shooting. I have a Canon Rebel.

Well, yesterday I was questioning whether or not Jingle Cruise would return this year for the holidays. It was back for a second year in 2014, with a lot more holiday touches and decorations (and aromas), but it was not listed among the holiday offerings on the DLR website -- almost as if Disney did not want to commit to it or remind people of it.

So, now I really wonder if Jingle Cruise will be back this year, in light of this....

"Jungle Cruise Sunrise Safari Breakfast Experience Coming to Disneyland Park" -- Disney Parks Blog; posted on September 4th, 2015 by Rachel Brent, Food & Beverage Marketing Communications Coordinator - http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...e-safari-breakfast-coming-to-disneyland-park/.

(On select dates from September 21 to December 2, 2015.)

Since Disney is planning to run this Sunrise Safari Breakfast Experience from September 21 until December 2nd, that means -- presumably -- that Jungle Cruise will not be able to close down for the holiday overlay to be installed pre-November 13th. But... since it is only scheduled up to December 2nd (a Wednesday), does that mean they will put up the holiday décor post-December 2nd? It seems unlikely that Disney would close the ride for an overlay in December, when the holiday season is really kicking in.

Idk Sherry...I REALLY hope Jingle Cruise is back, so I'm biased, but if you go to the link to make reservations for the breakfast, there are big (like weeklong & longer) breaks between the breakfast dates. So it is possible that they could close it during those times.

Last edited by a moderator:

Idk Sherry...I REALLY hope Jingle Cruise is back, so I'm biased, but if you go to the link to make reservations for the breakfast, there are big (like weeklong & longer) breaks between the breakfast dates. So it is possible that they could close it during those times.

I hope it comes back too, but even before this Jungle Cruise thing was announced I was skeptical of Jingle Cruise returning this year. In 2013 people complained that there weren't enough holiday touches on the ride (and they were right). In 2014 people complained that there were too many holiday touches and that all of the décor made no sense. Seeing that Disney does not even mention Jingle Cruise in the holiday section of its website -- and they did not mention it in the holiday section of the website last year either -- it seems to me like they don't really know from year to year if it will be back. This year being the 60th anniversary -- and apparently it seems that most holiday travelers (except for me!) are more interested in seeing the 60th anniversary things than they are in seeing holiday things -- gives Disney an excuse to not bring back Jingle Cruise while they keep things simple and scaled back.

That would be a crying shame. I experienced Jingle Cruise for the first time at Walt Disney World in 2013 and at that stage it did not do anything for me. It just felt half-hearted and quickly cobbled together. I then did it again at Disneyland last year and fell in love. I thought it was great.

Corinna

That would be a crying shame. I experienced Jingle Cruise for the first time at Walt Disney World in 2013 and at that stage it did not do anything for me. It just felt half-hearted and quickly cobbled together. I then did it again at Disneyland last year and fell in love. I thought it was great.

Corinna

I love the abundance of decorations, aromas, etc. I know that people said last year that all of those decorations made no sense and were too over-the-top, but I feel like -- if they're going to do an overlay on that ride -- they might as well go all out with it! "Subtle" didn't work as well in 2013.

My guess is that not all of the dates for the Jungle Cruise breakfast are showing on the DLR website yet, and that more dates will be filled in. Normally Jingle Cruise would be ready to go when the holiday season begins (and last year I believe it was closed for about 2 weeks as the overlay was installed), so I hope something can be done or worked out before December 2nd!

Anyone have any idea what will happen on January 7&8? I see that the holidays go until the 6th, so I assume starting the 7th the rides with the overlays will close down to have that removed? We will probably be there January 3-8.

Whoa to $300 for the JC breakfast! I had hoped for a Jingle Cruise this year, too. I need to ride Storybookland Canal boats and wonder if Casey, Jr. gets any kind of decorations?

Sherry, the 60th anniversary is definitely a milestone and for sure I am so thankful Disneyland is still around. I am much more excited about Christmastime at the park! I really am not much into the other or the souvenirs for it. Christmas under the Sea sounds fun to me especially since I've never been on Ariel's maybe something could also be added to the Nemo subs to spruce tree (aren't those types of Christmas trees)? it up

Angrose, that is a cool question! :) Last December, a CM agreed with me that the flying Dumbos should be wearing Santa hats. I don't think that would be too hard to do though need to literally make a set of custom ears for a hat or someone sew a big felt Santa hat for them :) I would love to see something new on the Disneyland RR and Christmas décor could somehow work its way on that. Christmas in the Hundred Acre Wood would be adorable for the Pooh Ride. Lol, I don't ride the teacups but maybe they could be sleigh cups? :D

Anyone have any idea what will happen on January 7&8? I see that the holidays go until the 6th, so I assume starting the 7th the rides with the overlays will close down to have that removed? We will probably be there January 3-8.

There's no telling what Disney will do in 2016, but if this past January can be used as a guideline then what will happen is that Haunted Mansion Holiday will stay open through Sunday, January 10th and close down for overlay removal on Monday, 1/11/16. Then, a couple of weeks later -- closer to the end of January -- It's a Small World Holiday would close down for its overlay removal. The ice rink and Winter Village in DTD may or may not remain open well beyond the holidays (this year they closed after February 22).

Personally, I have a strong feeling that Season of the Force (featuring Hypserspace Mountain) is going to open right after the holiday season ends, specifically to bring in people in during what would otherwise be a slower time frame. That's what happened with Frozen Fun this past January. The holiday season ended on 1/6/15, and Frozen Fun officially began on 1/7/15! I suspect that Season of the Force will follow a similar pattern, unless it's just not possible to get it started by 1/7/16.

There's no telling what Disney will do in 2016, but if this past January can be used as a guideline then what will happen is that Haunted Mansion Holiday will stay open through Sunday, January 10th and close down for overlay removal on Monday, 1/11/16. Then, a couple of weeks later -- closer to the end of January -- It's a Small World Holiday would close down for its overlay removal. The ice rink and Winter Village in DTD may or may not remain open well beyond the holidays (this year they closed after February 22).

Personally, I have a strong feeling that Season of the Force (featuring Hypserspace Mountain) is going to open right after the holiday season ends, specifically to bring in people in what would otherwise be a slower time frame. That's what happened with Frozen Fun this past January. The holiday season ended on 1/6/15, and Frozen Fun officially began on 1/7/15! I suspect that Season of the Force will follow a similar pattern, unless it's just not possible to get it started by 1/7/16.

Thank you, Sherry! Maybe we will hit both the holidays and Season of the Force this visit. I thought there would be less crowds this trip, but I'm starting to think I will be proving myself wrong on that front!

I was really excited about the Jungle Cruise breakfast and then I saw the $300 per person price tag!

If Jingle Cruise doesn't come back, I wonder what will be added into the Holiday Tour since it's been included the last two years. I suppose they could still take you on the ride. What was included prior to Jingle Cruise being a thing?

If Jingle Cruise doesn't come back, I wonder what will be added into the Holiday Tour since it's been included the last two years. I suppose they could still take you on the ride. What was included prior to Jingle Cruise being a thing?

When we did the holiday tour a few years ago, we went on it's a small world and Haunted Mansion (both of which we had already been on, but it's always nice getting the extra perspective with a guide). We were also supposed to have preferred seating for the holiday parade, but it was raining, so the parade was cancelled. They still gave us our hot chocolate and gingerbread men cookies (the cookies were SO good!!!) and then they gave us a "use anywhere" fast pass to make up for missing out on the parade seating. We used it on Peter Pan which was pretty sweet!

When we did the holiday tour a few years ago, we went on it's a small world and Haunted Mansion (both of which we had already been on, but it's always nice getting the extra perspective with a guide). We were also supposed to have preferred seating for the holiday parade, but it was raining, so the parade was cancelled. They still gave us our hot chocolate and gingerbread men cookies (the cookies were SO good!!!) and then they gave us a "use anywhere" fast pass to make up for missing out on the parade seating. We used it on Peter Pan which was pretty sweet!

So it sounds like Jingle Cruise was an extra bonus since the other two rides and parade seating were also included in the last two years. Either way I love the tour!

Jamie -- I may be totally wrong, and I have to think of someone who did the tour years ago who I can ask for clarification, but I could swear that there was at least one year (way before Jingle Cruise) that included an extra ride or two. One year they may have even included the Storybook Land Canal Boat ride (with the teeny tiny decorations), but I can't recall what else. I know that, for a while, the Happiest Haunts Tour randomly included not only HMH, of course, but (at one point) Snow White and BTMRR, as well as Tower of Terror and eventually Ghost Galaxy.

Seeing that Disney seems to keep Jingle Cruise out of the spotlight -- someone had to ask Erin last year if it was coming back and she replied that it was, because she didn't mention it in her initial blog -- and off of the DLR website in the Holidays section, it really may be exactly what you said -- a bonus if it gets added in the tour.

I hope it's brought back this year, but I just don't know how the extensive overlay that was there last year could be finagled over two weeks (or however long it took) if people are going to be riding the ride and eating there and all of that.

Oh, I almost forgot to mention this shocking news, but someone in my Halloween Time Superthread posted a photo of some actual Halloween/Fall decorations at the Big Thunder Ranch!!!!! They're not in the Carnival/Jamboree area, of course, because that is closed, but around the petting zoo and that section. She said the little log cabin was closed off, so I don't know if it will be decorated inside or not.

So there is hope for some small bit of décor at the Ranch for the holidays, even if there is no Jingle Jangle Jamboree!

We are gutted about two things as huge Jungle Cruise fans:

1. We miss the Jungle Cruise breakfasts, for a split second we seriously considered leaving Vegas the second after our wedding and booking the December 2nd one :) It was one of those great moments you have as a lifelong Disney fan where you guess the huge price but still run towards the computer screaming take my dollar Disney!

2. Jingle Cruise may not return. It's a good job we have our 2016 WDW Wilderness Lodge stay and our Disney Fantasy cruise within the Christmas season booked so hopefully it returns to WDW next year. It's all been too much with all the bad Jungle Cruise news at once for us :rotfl:

I'd be surprised if Jingle Cruise didn't come back, I've read in a couple of places that it's coming back to Magic Kingdom so why wouldn't it come back to Disneyland? The timing of the breakfasts with breaks between days it's on would allow time for the overlay to be done. Hopefully this is not just wishful thinking on my part!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter