Disneyland CM Survey

hertamaniac

DIS Veteran
I didn't realize that the cast members (average) at Disneyland are making less per hour than in 2000. But, the Disneyland spokesperson challenges it's data.

"Over 85 percent of union workers at Disneyland earn less than $15 an hour, according the report. Average hourly wage has also decreased since from 2000 to 2017, from $15.80 to $13.36, even though the park has seen a steady increase in profit, The Orange County Register reports."

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2018/...es-face-homelessness-according-to-survey.html

I can believe it. They probably outsourced or eliminated a bunch of their higher paying positions. CMs on the ground in the parks are lower paid and can't be outsourced.

I didn't realize that the cast members (average) at Disneyland are making less per hour than in 2000. But, the Disneyland spokesperson challenges it's data.

"Over 85 percent of union workers at Disneyland earn less than $15 an hour, according the report. Average hourly wage has also decreased since from 2000 to 2017, from $15.80 to $13.36, even though the park has seen a steady increase in profit, The Orange County Register reports."

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2018/...es-face-homelessness-according-to-survey.html

That's not necessarily a bad thing, if it is average of all union employees. One common complaint is that there are too many people in charge (with high salaries) and not enough people in the trenches (with the typically lower salaries). If the decline in average hourly pay is a result of hiring more people to do the labor and fewer managers, that could actually be a good thing. I am in the education system, and we would probably benefit quite a bit with more teachers and fewer county people and admin. That would end up showing an average hourly salary as being lower, but it doesn't mean it would be worse overall for the employees.

A simple statistic like this doesn't mean much without a full understanding of what is going on (and there probably aren't many who are fully aware of what is going on).

The link is interesting. I imagine there are many people in California who struggle to pay living expenses. I used to be a government attorney and we could hardly keep attorneys in San Francisco and Los Angeles due to the high cost of living. Even with a professional's salary, it is not easy to pay bills in California. Property costs are outrageous. I have often wondered how businesses like restaurants and retail continue to be able to find employees who will work for low wages. I imagine it's not just a Disneyland problem.

Last edited:

I have to wonder if there aren't other significant opportunities for employment in Anaheim? If there are, then why would so many work at Disneyland if it's so horrible?

This isn't a rhetorical question...I'm honestly wondering.

You have to remember that most of the life long employees that were original employees have begun to retire in the last 2 decades leading to lower average pay.

For a survey like this to mean much they have to control for position and seniority.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter