Disneyland Half Marathon 2024

I'm usually a WDW person so I'm not very familiar with the usual rates for all the hotels by Disneyland.

I booked the HoJo last week w/a code from a Disney planning site - came out to $262/night (including all taxes & fees) for a king bed economy room - that was a book now & pay later rate, which was the same price as the pay now & save, lol. Is this a decent rate for the HoJo? I have no idea! I figure it's not bad considering I'm paying almost exactly $1k and it's pretty darn close walking distance.

I just looked up rates again, using the same code. King economy room is no longer an option. If I were to book the cheapest option now it's a 2 double beds economy room, at the book now & pay later rate (again, same as the pay now & save rate), it would cost $274/night (including all taxes & fees), so slight increase.

I'm going to keep checking back on various hotels just to see if anything else better pops up. I wouldn't mind a little bit of a further walk but I know my DBF and he's not as gung ho about all the walking as I am, lol, so I don't think I want to book anything that's much more of a walk than the HoJo.

Honestly, I'm still just surprised and so grateful I was able to get us registered! After snagging the half for WDW MW 2023 I figured my luck would have run out for this attempt. Definitely feeling the pixie dust on this one :tink:

I booked at the Tropicana. I really prefer to be as close to the park as possible and it was quite a bit cheaper than the Best Western Park Place which is my usual go-to. It’s cancelable and pay later so I’m going to keep an eye out for better options. It appears that some hotels haven’t opened up for 2024 booking yet.

Does anyone know if they open the esplanade between Harbour and the parks and downtown Disney, so runners can walk directly through for the race start?

I called Disney this morning and booked Paradise pier two adult two kids for 448 with taxes. Kinda a lot but then again only about 120 more than what I have now so I figure that’s worth the convenience. But you have to call as the dates aren’t available online for 2024 yet.

They did say if a discount comes out at a later time you can apply it.

For those flying to California for this, I recommend checking flights into the John Wayne/Orange County airport in addition to Los Angeles (LAX). I lived in Tustin, about 10 miles from Disneyland, from 2016-2021, not far from the John Wayne airport (airport code SNA). SNA is smaller, easier to navigate, and less stressful than LAX, and a shorter drive to Disneyland. When I flew from California to WDW for previous races, I used both airports, and SNA was MUCH less stressful than LAX.

I called Disney this morning and booked Paradise pier two adult two kids for 448 with taxes. Kinda a lot but then again only about 120 more than what I have now so I figure that’s worth the convenience. But you have to call as the dates aren’t available online for 2024 yet.

They did say if a discount comes out at a later time you can apply it.
Ohh nice another Paradise Pier person! I am soo hoping that most of the construction will be done for us and we get a brand new hotel. Keeping my fingers crossed.

But yeah I am hoping some discounts come out later too, to apply them. I am dvc, disney visa card holder and disney plus. So normally one of those things give me a discount.

Yes I booked disney properties by calling them. Yeah I booked 407 a night. Since all the hotels I was looking at that were not Disney were in the 300 to 900 range (Marriott why u soo high) I thought disney hotels prices now seem more reasonable. So might as well stay at a disney hotel and I hopefully get a new refurbished room.
I booked Paradise Pier yesterday for $448/night. What's your secret? Lol.

Also, how do you request a refurbished room? I definitely want one as well.

I booked Paradise Pier yesterday for $448/night. What's your secret? Lol.

Also, how do you request a refurbished room? I definitely want one as well.
Does yours include taxes and fees? My does not. Or I could have done my math wrong too. I was doing it last night while my son was yelling at me to come play with him instead and i was having a hard time hearing the lady on the phone. Man I like just looking at the website better.

Also call up and just have them add a room request or you can do it on chat too. Then just say you would like a refurbished room. They cannot guarantee it but helps increase your odds better.

I was planning on holding off a little bit before booking a hotel but all this talk is making me nervous lol.

Honestly it's really not that necessary yet. I'm cringing reading all these rates being posted since they're all way above what I've paid for staying in walking distance at various times throughout the year (including popular ones) recently. Although the on site rates sounds about right unless a discount pops up.

You're really fine at this point. Most hotels have not released full inventory yet. Or they have and they have high placeholder rates while waiting for the actual rate. To illustrate this, here's a La Quinta that is no where near walking distance (but nearby). It's in Buena Park (closer to Knott's) and as you can see starting 1/1 they're charging $899/night, but the rates in December are actual rates:

Screenshot_20230214-153105.png

So don't panic book yet unless you find something you really like at a good rate! There's still time. I would instead research where you might like to stay and check those daily. And even after you've booked, still check for deals and rate drops. Always book a cancelable rate and keep good track of when you have to cancel by.

Does anyone know if they open the esplanade between Harbour and the parks and downtown Disney, so runners can walk directly through for the race start?

Yes, you can walk through the esplanade. Hopefully they don't make the mistake they have some race mornings and only have a couple security spots open at the Harbor entrance, though. I remember at least one half morning for another race weekend where they had multiple switchbacks and the line extended well out on to Harbor all because not enough security and no "no bag" line. I only encountered this once, btw. So here's hoping they remember to properly staff that entrance.

But yes, you can walk right through.

For those flying to California for this, I recommend checking flights into the John Wayne/Orange County airport in addition to Los Angeles (LAX). I lived in Tustin, about 10 miles from Disneyland, from 2016-2021, not far from the John Wayne airport (airport code SNA). SNA is smaller, easier to navigate, and less stressful than LAX, and a shorter drive to Disneyland. When I flew from California to WDW for previous races, I used both airports, and SNA was MUCH less stressful than LAX.

Adding to also check LGB. It's not as close as SNA, but it's way closer than LAX and often cheaper than SNA. Avoid LAX if at all possible.

I'm considering staying a little further out and driving in, is it as easy as driving to the races at WDW? I've only been within walking distance at DL before.

I'm considering staying a little further out and driving in, is it as easy as driving to the races at WDW? I've only been within walking distance at DL before.

Way easier than WDW to drive in. Could be a challenge getting out depending on traffic, though. Just be sure to check what time which roads will shut down.

You have way more road closures at WDW to navigate. DLR they put you in the parking garage. And many of the closures haven't happened yet by the time you'd drive in. Also no need to get there as early as WDW.

They do charge for parking, though, which is another negative. Or at least they did in the past.

Disclaimer: we likely won't know until much closer if anything is going to change with how parking operated in the past.

For anyone else interested, I looked up the historical temperatures at Disneyland for January 13th from 5:00-8:00am.

Screenshot 2023-02-15 at 12.34.22 PM.png

The value is in Temperature + Dew point (T+D) which is a calculation I use for comparing different running conditions. The explanation for this one is fairly easy. Disneyland essentially has ideal racing conditions in almost every year since 2015 on that date during that time of day, and the two years it did not were still "Good". For comparison, Marathon Weekend in Disney World has an even split 20% chance of every type of condition from Ideal to Bad. So this makes me pretty ecstatic about racing there. For those that don't like T+D, it was mostly in the 40-55F real temps and 30-50F dew point.

For anyone else interested, I looked up the historical temperatures at Disneyland for January 13th from 5:00-8:00am.

View attachment 739836

The value is in Temperature + Dew point (T+D) which is a calculation I use for comparing different running conditions. The explanation for this one is fairly easy. Disneyland essentially has ideal racing conditions in almost every year since 2015 on that date during that time of day, and the two years it did not were still "Good". For comparison, Marathon Weekend in Disney World has an even split 20% chance of every type of condition from Ideal to Bad. So this makes me pretty ecstatic about racing there. For those that don't like T+D, it was mostly in the 40-55F real temps and 30-50F dew point.

Thank u, I was reading this going... I do not know what this means. lol.

Thank u, I was reading this going... I do not know what this means. lol.

Sometimes people will say something like, "I just ran in 100% humidity and it was rough." If it were 100% humidity at 70F, then that's a 70F dew point and 140 T+D. Those are "bad" conditions for racing. But 100% humidity at 40F real temp is 40F dew point, and isn't that bad at all (T+D of 80). The T+D calculation takes into account the real temp and the humidity (as dew point) for conditions for running. Then, I use this adjustment chart for my pacing.

Screenshot 2023-02-15 at 12.50.23 PM.png

So if it is 60F with a 60F dew point, or 70F with a 50F dew point, they're both T+D 120 to me. In both cases, I adjust by 1%. So if the goal pace was 7:03 under ideal conditions, then under a T+D of 120 it would be 7:07. Things really add up towards the warmer end when you get into "bad" racing conditions. I personally prefer not to race when the T+D is much greater than 130, which is something like 65F temp with a 65 dew point. While the adjustments are not perfect, they are a good starting point for finding your own personal adjustment data.

Back in 2018, I had a brief window of two weeks where we experienced a wide range of T+D and absent of fitness changes could see with my own data the changes in pace based on the T+D.

Screenshot 2023-02-15 at 12.56.44 PM.png

Hope that helps explain some of the benefits of the methodology.

I should have the first post updated with everyone's registration. If you don't see yours up there, and you'd like for me to add it, just shoot a post here, or hit me with a DM.

I also think everyone should be in alphabetical order, though I've been known to flip letters for no apparent reason (what to you mean i is before o?)
I'm in for the 5K and 10K with my friend if you have the chance to add me into the first post. Thank you!!!!!

View attachment 739836

Hopefully nature isn't trying to drown California next year like it did the same time period this year 😂

Way easier than WDW to drive in. Could be a challenge getting out depending on traffic, though. Just be sure to check what time which roads will shut down.

You have way more road closures at WDW to navigate. DLR they put you in the parking garage. And many of the closures haven't happened yet by the time you'd drive in. Also no need to get there as early as WDW.

They do charge for parking, though, which is another negative. Or at least they did in the past.

Disclaimer: we likely won't know until much closer if anything is going to change with how parking operated in the past.
I significantly prefer driving to races at WDW over taking a bus and find it incredibly easy (never really dealt with road closures there ever though), so this is good to hear, thank you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter