Disneyland Half Marathon 2024

I wasn't sure if I should make this post and I tend to ramble, but here it goes:

WDW MW and DL was pretty amazing, mostly because of the people I met. You guys are honestly the best - so kind and welcoming. It *almost* makes me want to attempt Dopey one day. 🤣
right?! Me too! Although if I wait 5 years… I’ll be 48.6 right around Dopey time!

So awesome about Club 33!!

I heard them from my room Friday and Saturday night, but on Sunday night the CMs basically shooed us away from the castle saying they wouldn’t be there, so I left the area. I would be bummed if that wasn’t true and I missed them, but I’m glad I got to ride Rise (for the first time) with almost no wait.
I watched the fireworks and projections from in front of the castle on Sunday night

I just got a notification that mine and my daughters are coming UPS today. They shipped out the the 12th.

Update: I registered for both the 10k and 5k and only received my 5k medal and shirt. Seems like they are sending them separately which has not happened to me in the past.
Challenges get sent together, but separate races usually get sent separately.

Do you mean impossible to have in the staging area before/after like WDW? That seems like the easiest answer to me, as everybody gets what they want- the photo and less crowding/line/sweeping risk on the course. Is there a (good) reason DL doesn’t do this?

I believe that while the parking lot is technically a “Disney“ lot, I’m not sure that they actually own it Because it is surrounded by hotels and other businesses I think. Most parking lots are owned by whatever city they’re in and then leased to companies. So if the rule is only characters on Disney property, if they don’t own it there may be some contract issues. Its really dumb, but there are giant groups of people just salivating at the thought of Disney doing something wrong and being able to sue/break a contract.

Agree the lines were pretty long for WDW Half and DL races, but maybe it was because of my slower paces?
The WDW half lines were sooooo long compared to last year's half, I think because Corral A/B runners were all stopping for photos since there was no point in racing for time/PR. It's funny you mentioned enjoying all the characters, I was so disappointed as there are usually way more characters, but with the course being cut, I believe all of the characters planned for in/around MK were cut. The marathon is so much fun because you can get like 20+ character photos and if you start in a POT corral, avg wait is like 1-2 minutes.

I found the long DL lines so shocking in comparison, though maybe not so surprising since it's "easier" to get A/B for a half marathon challenge weekend compared to marathon weekend which has a tougher POT cutoff. Also with no characters after the parks in DL I suppose everyone just lines up right away, whereas at WDW there are so many more characters and for all 13 miles so everyone spreads out more.

There were fireworks on Sunday—my grandma and I lucked into them perfectly—we did Pinocchio and Snow White, and then it was 9:28, and we got a spot on the half wall by the carousel, so we had a totally unimpeded view of the fireworks (couldn’t see the castle, but I’m there for the fireworks anyway)

I watched the fireworks and projections from in front of the castle on Sunday night
Bummer, I guess I got a misinformed CM! I hope the others he sent away got to see them.

Ok, assuming they're done logging all of my course photos, here's what I think I have:

Half: 13 (3 castle, 1 GE, 1 Main Street, 1 Cars Land, 1 w/ Pete (only character stop for me bc basically no line lol), rest are finish)
10k: 13 (2 Main Street I think, 1 Buena Vista Street, 1 Cars Land, one unknown (too dark to tell), rest are finish)

GE photo stop, which was right after the Falcon, caught me way off-guard, thought it would be way worse than it ended up being. Also wasn't that great, doesn't show much in the background. Not sure if they could do better given where they were set up but it's a cool idea if they can get it right. Honestly I'm thrilled they were able to get this much time in GE, ended up being even better than what WDW did for the 10 miler.

@Nessats - I'm not on SM and we're terrible at recognizing people, but my friend said they'd never seen it that crowded before. It took forever to get a souvenir because there were so many people, but got to see Alfred talk.

@Disneyhanna - I think I enjoyed seeing all the characters at the WDW half because there's only a few at DL, so it was a pleasant surprise. You guys are lucky because in line people were noting the DL characters were boring because they didn't have any special outfits on 🤣

Oooh that was us at mile 12 with our UP house and our dog DUG!! It was so great to see all our fellow fabulous racers back out at DL

You guys did such an amazing job, I actually thought it was an official stop for a second! Took so many pictures!

Last edited:
I believe that while the parking lot is technically a “Disney“ lot, I’m not sure that they actually own it Because it is surrounded by hotels and other businesses I think. Most parking lots are owned by whatever city they’re in and then leased to companies. So if the rule is only characters on Disney property, if they don’t own it there may be some contract issues. Its really dumb, but there are giant groups of people just salivating at the thought of Disney doing something wrong and being able to sue/break a contract.
Well they had characters in the parking lot though... they had Donald Duck and Daisy during 10k and Minnie and Mickey during the half on the stages... so they can bring characters to that parking lot.

Hi everyone,
My legs are finally starting to feel better- less sore.

On the run Disney results site, you can click on "view your results" or "download certificate". When I click download certificate, it takes me to my account but not sure where to go from there? Has anyone downloaded a certificate, or are they just not ready yet or something?

As far as pic count, I show 25. Mostly from the finish- 13 pics. 1 Cars Land, 5 main street, 4 castle, and 1 star wars I think based on the trash can, and 1 close up I can't tell.

I was looking at results on my Strava account from others who have an account and ran that day, a lot of those people set a PR or 2nd or 3rd fastest half marathon for them. I guess it was a good combo of nice weather, not much wind, fast course etc.

I'm thinking of doing the 5k w/ my family the more I think about it. We've been wanting to go for HW time anyway. It does seem a bit early for HW but maybe a good way to kick of the season. I read that since HM remodel of the queue and new store will be ready around August that they are just going to re-open it as the Nightmare before Christmas version and maybe that is why HW time will start early there this year in August. Registration for that is less than a month away so hopefully some updates soon.

Hope everyone is recovering well.

Hi everyone,
My legs are finally starting to feel better- less sore.

On the run Disney results site, you can click on "view your results" or "download certificate". When I click download certificate, it takes me to my account but not sure where to go from there? Has anyone downloaded a certificate, or are they just not ready yet or something?

As far as pic count, I show 25. Mostly from the finish- 13 pics. 1 Cars Land, 5 main street, 4 castle, and 1 star wars I think based on the trash can, and 1 close up I can't tell.

I was looking at results on my Strava account from others who have an account and ran that day, a lot of those people set a PR or 2nd or 3rd fastest half marathon for them. I guess it was a good combo of nice weather, not much wind, fast course etc.

I'm thinking of doing the 5k w/ my family the more I think about it. We've been wanting to go for HW time anyway. It does seem a bit early for HW but maybe a good way to kick of the season. I read that since HM remodel of the queue and new store will be ready around August that they are just going to re-open it as the Nightmare before Christmas version and maybe that is why HW time will start early there this year in August. Registration for that is less than a month away so hopefully some updates soon.

Hope everyone is recovering well.
Once you’re logged into your runDisney account, click on “Your Events” and then “Past Events” and then “See Your Finisher Details”
IMG_0248.jpeg

Guys, guys, I got chosen for the Disneyland Half Marathon Survey!

*cracks knuckles* Okay, now to ask the group think to make sure I didn't miss anything.

These were my personal issues:
1. Security set-up, both at the start and lack of closure of some of the paths later in the half marathon course.
2. Lack of Photopass photographers on course/lack of castle photo opportunities. Even though I was in A and did get the Dumbo photo, I thought it was unconscionable how they shut the line before even B got there. (As far as I'm concerned, it should've been left open and if people want to get swept for one photo, that's their decision.)
3. Lack of differences in the mile markers. Minor pet peeve, but if you can't do music or anything else to keep things entertaining at least have variety here! Disneyland Paris had miles off property and they were at least able to do something.
4. Borrow the "course narrows ahead" and "speed bump ahead" speakers from WDW and reallocate those people elsewhere.
5. Have food trucks entertainment at the pre/post race area. Also have a merch tent with unsold race merchandise.
6. More lighting is needed in the dark areas, particularly from the start to the parks. I saw two people in my corral faceplant HARD before even entering the park.
7. Need medics on bicycles patrolling to make sure people are okay. I didn't see a single one on any of the courses.
8. Didn't personally witness, but that mile 3 bottleneck looked horrendous from photos and I will call it out.
9. Event guide should've been better laid out with where to go and when for the races. I only knew where I was going because of this group.
10. Better and bigger signage for everything. Would also be nice at the finisher areas to have signs pointing to "Disneyland Park Exit" "Clementine Drive Exit" ect.
11. Lots of confusion whether you could use Disneyland way to get in the starting area. Apparently, 10k yes, half marathon no.

What am I missing and not thinking of?

Guys, guys, I got chosen for the Disneyland Half Marathon Survey!

*cracks knuckles* Okay, now to ask the group think to make sure I didn't miss anything.

These were my personal issues:
1. Security set-up, both at the start and lack of closure of some of the paths later in the half marathon course.
2. Lack of Photopass photographers on course/lack of castle photo opportunities. Even though I was in A and did get the Dumbo photo, I thought it was unconscionable how they shut the line before even B got there. (As far as I'm concerned, it should've been left open and if people want to get swept for one photo, that's their decision.)
3. Lack of differences in the mile markers. Minor pet peeve, but if you can't do music or anything else to keep things entertaining at least have variety here! Disneyland Paris had miles off property and they were at least able to do something.
4. Borrow the "course narrows ahead" and "speed bump ahead" speakers from WDW and reallocate those people elsewhere.
5. Have food trucks entertainment at the pre/post race area. Also have a merch tent with unsold race merchandise.
6. More lighting is needed in the dark areas, particularly from the start to the parks. I saw two people in my corral faceplant HARD before even entering the park.
7. Need medics on bicycles patrolling to make sure people are okay. I didn't see a single one on any of the courses.
8. Didn't personally witness, but that mile 3 bottleneck looked horrendous from photos and I will call it out.
9. Event guide should've been better laid out with where to go and when for the races. I only knew where I was going because of this group.
10. Better and bigger signage for everything. Would also be nice at the finisher areas to have signs pointing to "Disneyland Park Exit" "Clementine Drive Exit" ect.
11. Lots of confusion whether you could use Disneyland way to get in the starting area. Apparently, 10k yes, half marathon no.

What am I missing and not thinking of?
12. More reminders from the announcers about the actual rules of the course—like “don’t 🤬🤬🤬 stop in the middle of the course or in front of the photographers”
13. Some kind of entertainment in the backstage areas, I’d have been happy with a CM blasting a car stereo 😆😆

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter