Disneyland Reopening Speculation Superthread

The problem with OC is that they are not meeting the requirements that Newsom has set for certain guidelines.. but OC does what they want for the most part and certain cities ignore the guidelines.
He relaxed some of the guidelines today. So I wonder if they would make it now?

It’s all a step in the right direction. Globally we’re starting to see the blueprints for reopening theme parks and soon domestically in Florida we’ll get an even better taste of what’s in store with WDW opening. Now with Newsom talking about opening up even more things at the beginning of June I’m gaining even more hope and optimism that Disneyland might not be as far off as some thought. The reopening of churches is the big one in regards to Disneyland. Lots of people congregating together in a big room. If it goes well with churches reopening in California then theme parks probably won’t be that far behind.

Lets go people! Get excited! There’s light at the end of the tunnel.

Here is a good summary of it, although it doesn't list the 5 counties who are not allowed to move forward (I would assume LA and then a few in the Bay Area).

https://abc7news.com/health/watch-l...-salons-may-reopen-in-next-few-weeks/6193298/
He mentioned certain counties on a sidenote. Here's a clip from the SF Chronicle:
"Newsom said his administration estimated that all but five of California’s 58 counties would qualify for a variance from the statewide stay-at-home order through the new rules, though not all may choose to seek one. Newsom did not specify which five counties fell short, but he mentioned outbreaks at Tulare County nursing homes and a meatpacking plant in Kings County, as well as the overall increase in cases in Los Angeles County, as points of concern.
The number of ineligible counties is likely significantly higher, however. A Chronicle analysis found at least six counties in the Bay Area alone that still do not meet thresholds previously set by the state for minimum daily testing and hiring employees to trace the spread of infections."

He mentioned certain counties on a sidenote. Here's a clip from the SF Chronicle:
"Newsom said his administration estimated that all but five of California’s 58 counties would qualify for a variance from the statewide stay-at-home order through the new rules, though not all may choose to seek one. Newsom did not specify which five counties fell short, but he mentioned outbreaks at Tulare County nursing homes and a meatpacking plant in Kings County, as well as the overall increase in cases in Los Angeles County, as points of concern.
The number of ineligible counties is likely significantly higher, however. A Chronicle analysis found at least six counties in the Bay Area alone that still do not meet thresholds previously set by the state for minimum daily testing and hiring employees to trace the spread of infections."
Thanks!

I do know from our local paper that my county now falls well within the new guidelines and have sent our petition in to move forward.

I'm trying to phrase this question in a way that won't invite or incite negative comments. I would simply like speculative thoughts/opinions on the second wave. I've currently got two bookings at PP, one mid-Sept, one early December. I don't care about masks or lack of parades etc. i.e. we'll take the "new" DL however it's presented. My main concern is the second wave. We can't ignore the fact that it's coming. A vaccine is also, hopefully coming. So - if you were me, a Canadian flying to DL from Vancouver - would you definitely go in September, un-vaccinated but probably pre-second wave or...would you hold out until December, probably mid-second wave, but also possibly, vaccinated? I know this is a completely personal choice and down to our comfort levels but, I really would appreciate hearing what others would do.

Sacramento Zoo is opening on June 1st. They will require you to reserve a day to visit, and you must wear a mask. No paper maps.

We were briefly excited about at that, only to be disappointed a few hours later when the Zoo announced that the County had pulled back its approval after being told by the state that zoos are not "outdoor museums" allowed to open as part of Phase 2: https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article242824141.html

Last edited:
He relaxed some of the guidelines today. So I wonder if they would make it now?

Here are the revised criteria on the state's website: https://covid19.ca.gov/roadmap-counties/

Based on Orange County's COVID 19 dashboard (https://occovid19.ochealthinfo.com/coronavirus-in-oc), Orange County still does not appear to meet the revised crtiera of "stable hospitalizations" of "7-day average of daily percent change of less than 5%". Orange County has some pretty wild hospitalization fluctuations that average a 10% daily change over the past 14 days.

They also exceed the "25 new cases per 100,000 residents" criteria -- based on that, they could have no more than 794 new cases in the past two weeks and have reported around 1600, but based on a recent news article, their overall "test positivity rate" is only 6.3% (https://fullertonobserver.com/2020/05/17/orange-county-healthcare-agency-update/), so they might qualify using the alternative standard of "less than 8% testing positive in the past 7 days."

Last edited:
I think the 'relaxing' was to allow less strict guidelines for more 'rural' counties that haven't had huge outbreaks and/or don't have large population centers. I know a lot of them were complaining that the old guidelines were too stringent for a county with lower populations to meet.

I don't think the relaxing was particularly meant for counties with huge, concentrated urban populations.

And I think the requirements for moving from Stage 2 to Stage 3 are going to be pretty stringent.

I think the 'relaxing' was to allow less strict guidelines for more 'rural' counties that haven't had huge outbreaks and/or don't have large population centers. I know a lot of them were complaining that the old guidelines were too stringent for a county with lower populations to meet.

I don't think the relaxing was particularly meant for counties with huge, concentrated urban populations.

And I think the requirements for moving from Stage 2 to Stage 3 are going to be pretty stringent.

The relaxing yesterday was clearly aimed at allowing more urban counties to reopen. 23 rural counties had already reopened under the original variance standards (although I think a lot of them were falsely attesting that they had meet the standards with regard to testing, PPE, and contact tracers). However, under the original standard of no deaths in the last 14 days, there was no way urban counties were ever going to be able to move farther into phase 2 -- even the Bay Area, which has been touted as a success story for coronavirus mitigation, just had its first two consecutive days without a death. The new standards move the goalposts much closer for all counties. Phrased another way, as grim as the statistics from LA County seem, it has a population of 10 million people, on par with Switzerland, Greece, Belgium, Austria, Portugal and Sweden. None of those countries have gone without a death for 14 days; most of them haven't even gone a day, and they are still moving toward reopening.

Overall, I think that the new approach is more consistent with the approaches being taken by other countries around the world as they reopen, although I would like to see the daily case numbers decline, in addition to declining hospitalizations and ICU caseloads, since: (1) that would better demonstrate that the transmission rate is below one new infection per infected person; and (2) there are many people suffering greatly from this disease at home, so hospitalizations aren't necessarily the best metric.

I'm guessing, based on political and economic realities, that the Stage 3 standards will be similarly less stringent than what Newsom was originally contemplating when he initially announced the road map. The fact that he is now talking about pro sports being allowed to start (even without spectators) is a huge leap from where he was a week or two ago.

I'm guessing, based on political and economic realities, that the Stage 3 standards will be similarly less stringent than what Newsom was originally contemplating when he initially announced the road map. The fact that he is now talking about pro sports being allowed to start (even without spectators) is a huge leap from where he was a week or two ago.
I personally think this is why he is moving faster than he originally planned to. Granted numbers are beginning to look much better throughout the state (even in LA).

I'm trying to phrase this question in a way that won't invite or incite negative comments. I would simply like speculative thoughts/opinions on the second wave. I've currently got two bookings at PP, one mid-Sept, one early December. I don't care about masks or lack of parades etc. i.e. we'll take the "new" DL however it's presented. My main concern is the second wave. We can't ignore the fact that it's coming. A vaccine is also, hopefully coming. So - if you were me, a Canadian flying to DL from Vancouver - would you definitely go in September, un-vaccinated but probably pre-second wave or...would you hold out until December, probably mid-second wave, but also possibly, vaccinated? I know this is a completely personal choice and down to our comfort levels but, I really would appreciate hearing what others would do.

I don’t want to sound negative here but trying to be realistic. I’d be very surprised if a vaccine was available by December let alone to The general population. I would not let that guide your decision as the odds are pretty darn slim of almost any of us being vaccinated. I am a citizen of both countries and my dad who does not have American citizenship does winters in Florida. We are not even sure if he’s going to be able to be covered under private health insurance for the 2020/2021 season. That’s regardless of a second wave. I’d make decisions on knowns versus unknowns. I know, easier said than done!

We are US citizens, and even without the possibility of international flights being cancelled left and right, I'm only making totally refundable bookings for our late october trip. Not because we're particularly scared - we are all very low risk - but if for some reason schools have to close late fall/restrictions on things like hotel pools/restaurants closed - it might be a lame trip. I do not think there is any reasonable chance of a vaccine this year, especially if you are not a healthcare worker or very high risk (those who will presumably get the first production round.) I would make plans based on your current comfort level and continue to be flexible because who knows if we will have to do this all over again?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter