Disneyland Reopening Speculation Superthread

I’ll throw out another speculation into the void. If you’re staying onsite but booking through a travel company (Get Away Today) will your vacation qualify for all the things in this situation (discounts if closed, first chance at reservations) that booking direct does? I don’t know many WDW people so not sure how that’s worked out with them.

I booked our June trip thru Costco. When I called to change to August, it's Disney Travel I called, I got the discounted room rate, $50 per night gift card and will still receive the Disney gift card due to it being a Costco package.

I booked our June trip thru Costco. When I called to change to August, it's Disney Travel I called, I got the discounted room rate, $50 per night gift card and will still receive the Disney gift card due to it being a Costco package.

Good to know, thank you!

View attachment 498063
Saw this posted on the WDW disboards. Poster said this WDW blogger is reliable- not familiar with the WDW ones so can’t confirm but might be worth looking into on our end.

I can't see this being implemented at DL. If you have a reservation AND check-in for it, I strongly believe you will be able to purchase tickets for the length of your stay.

This is already established policy at SDL. I know the dynamics at WDW are different, but I just can't see Disney on-site guests being locked out of parks (short of their AP being blocked out).

So I really think that the DtD businesses are skeptical that reopening without the parks and hotels online will be a money-losing proposition, that's probably why a) Disney hasn't opened DtD and b) a City of Anaheim spokesperson said the businesses wanted more information specifically on when the parks will reopen.

I was surprised such a detail came from him.

If I own a burger joint in DtD, I don't want to a) reopen and b) start paying rent again while c) that results in my employees taking home less because of enhanced UI and d) I don't have any customers anyway because DLH/PPH/GCH/DCA/DL are still closed AND big retail draws like WoD remain closed.

I'm probably reading too much into that quote, but hey this is the speculation thread and it's 3:38am!

Your pass will still be listed as a valid ticket.

My guess is that "blackout days" will be suspended during the reservation period, as well the reservation period won't count as the park being "open." I think what we will see is reservations windows opening up with priority given to the highest pass tier and then down, and you'll have to choose from what's available at that point. In Shanghai, they have already announced that expiration dates will be extended by: "number of days the parks were closed + number of days the reservation system is in place."

That is what they are doing in Shanghai. Not sure about WDW. Do we know yet? Were passholders allowed to make a reservation on a day that should be a blockout day? Have they even started the process yet?

my understanding is wdw APs only get the extension from the day they closed to July 10. But no official announcement has been made.
I really hope they tread DLR APs like shanghai(extension is closure+reservation days). They would have some upset APs if they didn’t.

My March DLAP payments were just refunded today. Actually, one on 5/30, and two today still pending.

Well they can open whenever at this point and stay in line with state and city regulations. They have the protocol most likely in place already. That protocol also will include a reduction of capacity, so I don’t think it will be too over whelmed.

I could see them playing Walt’s opening speech at rope drop and I think the opportunity of those optics on the opening will be too great for the marketing department to ignore.
I don't think that DL can open yet based on the state of CA guidance. I just read today that the San Diego Zoo was trying to open by classing themselves as an "outdoor museum" and their application to open was rejected by the state.
https://www.sandiegouniontribune.co...fari-park-reopening-delayed-by-state-decision

EDIT: may have been a fluke because I no longer see the ticket link in the app.

FWIW, it appears that tickets may now be purchased for DL via the app for visits July 16 and later.

594138F1-BB84-462D-A12B-9D459EF30A37.jpeg

Last edited:
Was this always the case or no? I've been paying more attention to WDW for that since we are headed there in late October and surprising the kiddos with a trip to DL after Christmas.
It's the first time I've seen it since the closure. But I edited my post because the link appears to have been removed. May have been a momentary oversight.

I think they may wait to see how the demand plays out before doing discounts. Also I think they will wait and see who is willing to come and pay the high prices before offering discounts (even to passholders).
This is what I've been thinking too. I keep checking to see if they have some sort of offer but nope! $750+/night at GCH is a bit steep for us. o_O

Disneyland and other theme parks in California have no business even considering opening up when we’ve had record daily increases.

(of course this is just my opinion)
As much as I'd love DL to open tomorrow, I actually agree with you. They opened salons/restaurants here in LA last weekend. Seemed reckless since we still have 1,000+ new cases daily. On average, nearly half of all new cases in California are in LA County. Reopening should be based solely on minimization of cases not duration of the lockdown. It's like saying "It's still raining heavily and there are dangerous levels of lightning but I've also been inside for a whole day so I think I'll head outside."

Last edited:
As much as I'd love DL to open tomorrow, I actually agree with you. They opened salons/restaurants here in LA last weekend. Seemed reckless since we still have 1,000+ new cases daily. On average, nearly half of all new cases in California are in LA County. Reopening should be based solely on minimization of cases not duration of the lockdown.

We opened ours too, just as we started to see an increase in cases (doubled in 2 weeks) and our first cases of (confirmed) community spread. I live in a small town and I am thankful that we haven't had the huge cases that the cities have. But I am really hoping that Newsom doesn't allow any further stage 3 openings (like Gyms).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter