Disneyland Reopening Speculation Superthread

I think for all of us it would probably be best that you edit the posts to remove the information that shouldn't be posted in instead of flat out deleting them since some of these posts had valid and useful information in them that was not breaking board rules.
As long as people know this in advance, that is fine. I do post the reason for the edits when this happens so that people know that it did happen and why. But some people don't understand this.

Remember, we have readers from other states and other countries -- and technical data isn't always the easiest to translate for some readers.

I live in California and Orange County and I can’t figure what the heck we are allowed to do or not do, what tier we’re in, what color means what....it is crazy times we are living in!

Last edited:
This article is heartbreaking. My heart just breaks for all the CMs and small businesses affected by the closure.

https://spectrumnews1.com/ca/la-wes...bout-going-under-if-disneyland-remains-closed

omg, this just got to me, the human faces behind all the places I know so well. Never in a million years in June 2019 as I got the ART bus up Harbour and saw the hustle and bustle, the traffic, the families with strollers, groups of people with Mickey Ears did I even think it would all be gone. :sad::sad:

I don't even know what to think any more. I'm hanging on to my ticket, the expiry date is January 2022.

Random thoughts in no particular order:...
  1. I just called DL in an attempt to get a refund on my 3 DL-direct-purchased-tickets which I can't even use. Tickets that will expire at the end of January. Tickets which, right now, you'd have to exchange IN PERSON at the ticket booth in order to get new tickets...which is ridiculous since park reservations will be basically sold out right away once DL does reopen. The CM said there's nothing he can do. It's not his fault, of course. I'm just frustrated.
  2. Our OTHER ticket (DH's ticket) was purchased through Undercover Tourist. They WILL issue me a refund, but it'll take 4-6 weeks (because their backlog in similar requests right now) and I'll apparently get an email from them once the refund goes through....
Agree with the pp who advised waiting a bit, then calling again and asking to speak with a lead. Explain your situation and keep asking for a refund on your tickets. Other posters have reported getting a full refund. Just keep trying.
And other posters have consistently reported that UT refunds take 4 weeks, almost exactly. So keep watching your credit card statement around that time. I think others posted that you will get the 5% back when you buy new tickets from UT? You might want to ask about that when requesting your refund.
Good luck!

So just to ask, if this Kiley vs. Newsom happens, and somehow power is restored to local governments. Does that mean Orange County gets to choose if they open? https://www.kusi.com/assemblyman-kevin-kiley-suing-governor-gavin-newsom-over-an-executive-order/
Possibly. It would depend on how the court rules.

I do think everyone needs to temper their expectations of how a lawsuit could turn out. California is not Michigan, and there is really no guarantee that California courts will agree that Newsom's orders are not authorized by law. Like the guidelines themselves, this could be a case of "be careful what you wish for", because a court decision that Newsom is exercising appropriate authority is probably fatal to any further efforts by Disney or CAPA to negotiate changes to the orders. I'm sure Newsom factored in the possibility of a lawsuit and his legal staff's view on a likely outcome before issuing any of the health orders/regulations.

are people looking to book because they're betting the guidelines are going to change? If those guidelines remain in place, the park isn't opening within 6 months.
Do you know that for fact that the park isn't opening within 6 months based on stated guidelines?

Possibly. It would depend on how the court rules.

I do think everyone needs to temper their expectations of how a lawsuit could turn out. California is not Michigan, and there is really no guarantee that California courts will agree that Newsom's orders are not authorized by law. Like the guidelines themselves, this could be a case of "be careful what you wish for", because a court decision that Newsom is exercising appropriate authority is probably fatal to any further efforts by Disney or CAPA to negotiate changes to the orders. I'm sure Newsom factored in the possibility of a lawsuit and his legal staff's view on a likely outcome before issuing any of the health orders/regulations.

I'm not a lawyer, but I would be extremely surprised if Newsom loses personally. As you said, this is California.

I did read that "Mr. Ghaly didn’t rule out the possibility that California’s theme-park guidelines could be amended in the coming weeks and months." according to this WSJ article, so maybe there is some chance that something could change:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/disney-denounces-californias-theme-park-reopening-plans-11603231282
Edit: If you click on the link it requires a subscription, though if you Google the article you can read it for some reason.

Last edited:
I did read that "Mr. Ghaly didn’t rule out the possibility that California’s theme-park guidelines could be amended in the coming weeks and months." according to this WSJ article, so maybe there is some chance that something could change
That is my hope. Some sectors have been able to open in the most restrictive tier when changes were made. I hope Disney keeps pushing to keep proving that they are a safe place even during a pandemic. They could even argue that yes they do bring in a lot of people, they are a “safe” place to be outdoors. Considering the colder and flu season months are approaching, they obviously don’t want people to gather indoors, why not have safe options outdoors?

That is my hope. Some sectors have been able to open in the most restrictive tier when changes were made. I hope Disney keeps pushing to keep proving that they are a safe place even during a pandemic. They could even argue that yes they do bring in a lot of people, they are a “safe” place to be outdoors. Considering the colder and flu season months are approaching, they obviously don’t want people to gather indoors, why not have safe options outdoors?

Maybe if things go well with the smaller theme parks then they will loosen restrictions on the bigger ones.

All I know is I saw speculation about how Disney could funnel money away from DLR to improvements at WDW for their 50th anniversary next summer and my reaction was: 'Noooooooooo!'

But.... we could see that happen with DLR projects being further delayed as Disney puts their eggs in the 'WDW basket' so to speak.

Anyone think they might do something to allow Disneyland pass holders use their passes at WDW until Disneyland can reopen? Seems like it would make sense as it allows Disney to keep the $$ (for those who might request a refund instead) and potentially generate more revenue for WDW with resort, food, and merch sales.

Also, does anyone know if you do request a refund, do you get it right away? Meaning you don’t have to wait for the parks to reopen for it to be processed?

Anyone think they might do something to allow Disneyland pass holders use their passes at WDW until Disneyland can reopen? Seems like it would make sense as it allows Disney to keep the $$ (for those who might request a refund instead) and potentially generate more revenue for WDW with resort, food, and merch sales.

Also, does anyone know if you do request a refund, do you get it right away? Meaning you don’t have to wait for the parks to reopen for it to be processed?
That would be nice. Or allow DL passholders to buy passes for WDW. I would get one lol

I had a paid in full package through WDTC. They refunded me right away and I should see it on my card in about 5 days. I hope this helps. :)

Are you asking about the AP refund or a refund for a package/hotel reservation?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter