Disneyland Reopening Speculation Superthread

Fairytale Town -- Oakland, CA
Fairytale Town -- Sacramento, CA
Traintown -- Sonoma, CA
Roaring Camp Railroad -- Felton, CA (has reopening date/plans)
Tilden Regional Park -- Oakland/Berkeley, CA (has carousel and steam trains, separate areas though, not really a little park)
Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk (are rides open?)
Santa Monica Pier
There's this one county fair like place in Riverside (is it still there?)

Then you've got those traveling ones, haven't been to one in a while.
Most of those are already open in some capacity (or opening soon- this weekend for Children's Fairyland in Oakland) except Traintown. I don't think they're really full scale "theme parks" which I guess is in their favor since they're figured out how to partially open. No rides are open for any of them, but if they have already found ways to partially open their facilities its still hard for me to believe that these little guys are somehow holding up "theme park" guidelines as a whole.

I like your number better, It allows more pass holders and ticket holders to share the park.

So 28,250 across both parks...roughly 14000 per park. Many eating places like Jolly Holiday will not be open will not be open in the beginning, so less need for staff.

Anytime a business is repairing their bottom line, part time and seasonal is first to go. They rarely have benefits that have to be worried about. Disney needs less people in the parks doing more jobs. That mean more full timers being cross trained.

Even Disneyworld after opening has yet to bring back the majority of it's part time or even the college program because of lack of need yet.

In my opinion, the best place to be working if you want to have job at Disneyland right now is custodial. You can bet that is the one cast member group not taking huge cuts!

Most of those are already open in some capacity (or opening soon- this weekend for Children's Fairyland in Oakland) except Traintown. I don't think they're really full scale "theme parks" which I guess is in their favor since they're figured out how to partially open. No rides are open for any of them, but if they have already found ways to partially open their facilities its still hard for me to believe that these little guys are somehow holding up "theme park" guidelines as a whole.

Good to know, I haven't really been keeping track with many of these (keeping track of DL rumors eats up most of my time, hah).

I think a lot of them can just shutter rides and pivot to, say, having a pumpkin patch or something else. Honestly, I don't mind, I rode that gnarly dragon looking ride at Fairytale Town in Sacramento within the last year and probably got bruises from being thrashed around!

None of little guys create enough jobs or have the labor unions Disneyland has, They also all fall under family fun centers which if you look at the tiers have received guidance.

OH I love Fairytale Land.. I miss the Shakespear in the park, the ice cream safari and the twisted maze(which I nearly broke my ankle on so many times!)

Remember Disneyland choose to close... they state didn't and could NOT force them too. It is being patient. But I get the feeling that has run out... and Now Disney is doing everything it needs to do open, though respectful of the pandemic and a lot leaner so it can once agin TRY and make a profit.

Again take with salt, but I have heard there is major rumblings with cast members and some actual people working at Disneyland right now that they are opening up next month no matter what! All these moves Disney is doing seems to support that.

Remember Disneyland choose to close... they state didn't and could NOT force them too. It is being patient. But I get the feeling that has run out... and Now Disney is doing everything it needs to do open, though respectful of the pandemic and a lot leaner so it can once agin TRY and make a profit.

Again take with salt, but I have heard there is major rumblings with cast members and some actual people working at Disneyland right now that they are opening up next month no matter what! All these moves Disney is doing seems to support that.

Just out of curiosity, how do you justify the statement that the state could NOT force Disneyland to close? Of course they could have. Weren't all "non essential" businesses ordered closed? Disneyland simply chose to close ahead of the issuance of that order. But they would have had to close regardless.

Fairytale Town -- Oakland, CA
Fairytale Town -- Sacramento, CA
Traintown -- Sonoma, CA
Roaring Camp Railroad -- Felton, CA (has reopening date/plans)
Tilden Regional Park -- Oakland/Berkeley, CA (has carousel and steam trains, separate areas though, not really a little park)
Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk (are rides open?)
Santa Monica Pier
There's this one county fair like place in Riverside (is it still there?)

Then you've got those traveling ones, haven't been to one in a while.

I was just at the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk last week. No rides are open. You can walk through, buy some food and drinks, and shops. They have signs everywhere about wearing masks, along with frequent announcements over the loud speaker. Even so, I’d say less than half were wearing a mask. They’re going to have to do a much better job of enforcement when they fully open.

Just out of curiosity, how do you justify the statement that the state could NOT force Disneyland to close? Of course they could have. Weren't all "non essential" businesses ordered closed? Disneyland simply chose to close ahead of the issuance of that order. But they would have had to close regardless.

The executive powers to shut down businesses is virtually unlimited, courts have historically deferred to the judgment of the executive branch when there is disagreement. So yes, DL closed voluntarily, but the state definitely retained the right to shut it down.

My hope at the time was that DL closed voluntarily to buy some goodwill from the governor, and that goodwill would be returned somehow. Regrettably, that did not transpire. Squandered opportunity, IMO.

Disney is absolutely doing the right thing in escalating the rhetoric.

Well, riding the coronacoaster again, I guess. I am so sad to see the new statement from D'Amaro. It really feels like there is something going on behind the scenes, but not in a good way. I wonder if we will ever find out what it was.

Back in March there was a lot going on IF they could force Disney to close. I was there up until the day the did close. LO. It was rainy and wonderful.

This was from back in March.

Update March 12th, 2:05pm ET: California governor Gavin Newsom announced in a press conference that Disneyland in Anaheim is exempt from the state’s ban on big crowd gatherings. Then three days later because of pressure from the labor unions and out respect for what was happening they closed. Newsom could not force them to close.

Looking less and less likely that my Oct trip will happen but the way Disney talks as soon as Newsom announces they can open they should be able to open that next day if they are as prepared as they say they are.
Only Disney management and upper level staff are working. It will take 4-6 weeks to bring employees back and train/retrain them. Then there is the time to get the rides reinspected so they can operate.
This speaks to that internal date that they are working around, regardless of gov't approval. Makes sense, the logistics of food/training take a lot of time to perfect.

They figure they can probably/easily donate the food if opening dates are beyond their internal working date.
They have reordered food several times already with the expectation of reopening. Boys and Girls Club of Orange has gotten a lot of good donations.

Does anyone know how many of the 28,000 employees are in FL vs CA?

The wording kind of makes it seem like it’s all CA, but it looks like it’s actually combined between both coasts. Just curious.

I think we have to remember Disney is business, who not only relies on the Theme parks, but movies and merchandising. It has been triple whammed! Movies all pushed to next year.. including anything marvel or animated...so no money there. DW open but barely making money, DL not open and losing money daily. Merchandising is all they have, which is why so many items are being released on shopdisney that have never been before. Edit... since it both coasts, this seems to suggest this is much more a bottom line issue than a Newsom issue.

They are bleeding and need to stop it. Unfortunately that starts with employers and what the parks have to offer. I hear all of fantastic's lights have been taken down as they do not expect to be doing that for at least 6 months. Some rides that they can't social distance on will not open at all or are still being refurbished. Same with restaurants.

Disney is hopping to open next month or early Nov with an eye on being able to be at 50-75 percent by the time summer comes and they can unveil their new land. That new land will bring the employees back. If we can ever open and get s this virus under control. I doubt many people in the begging will take whatever vaccine that is hurried out, so I think hoping for that as a cure all might be a long shot...

again all my opinion.. so take with a grain of salt.

Does anyone know how many of the 28,000 employees are in FL vs CA?

The wording kind of makes it seem like it’s all CA, but it looks like it’s actually combined between both coasts. Just curious.
Not sure, but reading some responses on the WDW side of the boards this includes CM's at the disney stores too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter