Disneyland Reopening Speculation Superthread

Soooo question. Since the wording in that post makes it seem like CA is to blame for widespread layoffs, would a state like FL, try and sue CA, because their actions are impacting their state and employment situation ? Not sure if this is even possible. Never heard of one state suing another.

Disney was already going to have to let some CM’s go. It sucks but if they were open at 25% with no entertainment layoffs were / are inevitable. The question at this point is how many of those would be retained if Disneyland were open or how many will be recalled when the parks open.

Does anyone know how many cast memebers worked a day (Pre covid)? Is this is spread out between two parks and multiple Disney stores, the impact to Disneyland is a lot less and perhaps more inline with opening at only 25 percent with a much smaller area to work with.

Neither Disney park brought back their college programs either.

Two-thirds of the planned layoffs involve part-time workers but they ranged from salaried employees to nonunion hourly workers, Disney officials said.
In a letter to employees, Josh D'Amaro, chairman of Disney Parks, Experience and Product, said his management team had worked hard to try to avoid layoffs. They had cut expenses, suspended projects and modified operations but it wasn’t enough given limits on the number of people allowed into the park because of social distancing restrictions and other pandemic-related measures, he said.

This part makes it sound like even with Disney World open, they are not making enough to break even because of all the restrictions. I am curious now that most of those have been lifted, if less people from Flordia and more from Anaheim will be let go. is most of this from the entertainment budget? That would make sense, though once again, DW is getting some of that back. DL even if it DOES open in a month would not have any of that until at least spring break....

Who would have ever thought that back in 2019 when the parks were always packed and business was booming that Disney would lay off 28,000 people just a year later. Makes me sad to think about it, but I've got to keep thinking forward. We'll get through this....hopefully.

Yahoo’s headline is better than CNN
View attachment 528822

Eye catching, I like it.

Seeing a nice steady stream of pressure now with the press conference, commercial, local official support, legislation letter, and now this.

It’s not a good look to keep this going for Newsom, I think perceptions are starting to change towards what can be locked down and for how long the more time we’re in this pandemic. And this affects so much more than just guests, people’s livelihoods are at stake. Besides just the CMs, the hotels, Anaheim as a whole, travel groups... heck even Disneyland bloggers. List goes on.

Here’s hoping we get that Friday announcement after all.

Soooo question. Since the wording in that post makes it seem like CA is to blame for widespread layoffs, would a state like FL, try and sue CA, because their actions are impacting their state and employment situation ? Not sure if this is even possible. Never heard of one state suing another.

Yes, states can (and have) sued each other fairly frequently. The venue is the US Supreme Court exclusively. Previously, states could sue each other in their own state courts (Nevada vs. Hall), but that precedent was recently overturned (California FTB vs. Hyatt). There are other issues but that would require about 50 pages to explain, lol.

ETA: Okay, I couldn't resist. Yes, FL can sue CA for economic damages from the quarantine-related closure of Disneyland, it would land at the Supreme Court. Based on precedent, SCOTUS would likely decline the case. The closest case that I (casually/quickly) searched was Louisiana vs. Texas, 1900. LA claimed that TX used its Yellow Fever quarantine powers to the point that it economically damaged New Orleans next door.

SCOTUS declined to hear the case and its reasoning was that the disputes between states had to be direct. This was further clarified the following year in Missouri vs. Illinois, a case about discharging sewage into the river to another state... they took that case on, stating it was a direct injury.

So there you have it, lol.

@TikiTikiFan @Self-Rescuing Princess @midnight star i updated my answer, tagging you for the refresh.

Last edited:
Disney is really putting the pressure on! I feel so terrible for the CM’s who will be affected by the layoffs. It’s so sad how this is playing out. The economic fallout will be felt for years to come

I heard some interesting perspective:

The Staples Center holds about 19,000 for basketball, and 20,000 for concerts. Maybe @WonkaKid can confirm.

28,000 is A LOT of people!

Where did Iger go?

Remember when he was going to be around for the transition? Remember when he was on the governor’s committee (whatever it was called)?

All these jabs and attempts to put pressure on reopening, and not a peep from him.

That’s the one detail that makes me think there’s more going on behind the scenes than we know.

Where did Iger go?

Remember when he was going to be around for the transition? Remember when he was on the governor’s committee (whatever it was called)?

All these jabs and attempts to put pressure on reopening, and not a peep from him.

That’s the one detail that makes me think there’s more going on behind the scenes than we know.
I asked about him a few pages ago, and couldn’t remember his name lol Too many Bobs to keep track of 😀 But I’ve wondered the same. Wasn’t he on the reopening task force 🤔

Who would have ever thought that back in 2019 when the parks were always packed and business was booming that Disney would lay off 28,000 people just a year later. Makes me sad to think about it, but I've got to keep thinking forward. We'll get through this....hopefully.

It makes me cry. I cannot believe that a year ago we were getting ready for our Halloween trip, which would be followed by two trips for Christmas. We were all so happy and just living life. And now people are dead, sick, out of work, struggling mentally, emotionally, economically, and I’m sitting here wondering.... “Will we ever go back to Disneyland again and hug Cinderella?” I mean it just makes you feel like life as we knew it is gone forever. I’m being melodramatic, but if you just stop for a moment and process everything we’ve all lost since March, it’s truly impossible to process it all.

My heart goes out to all of the CMs.

Where did Iger go?

Yeah. It’s really really weird.

I asked about him a few pages ago, and couldn’t remember his name lol Too many Bobs to keep track of 😀 But I’ve wondered the same. Wasn’t he on the reopening task force 🤔
Yeah. I assume that either there is more going on than we know (this is likely in my opinion), or that talks broke down in some way that was irreconcilable (which I know is a popular theory around here, but it just seems so unlikely to me that they would be such at odds).

I obviously have no idea what’s going on, but it just feels so odd that they would have irreconcilable differences to the point they stop talking when it is obviously in everyone’s best interest to work something out, and no one benefits from what appears to be a public dispute. It’s peculiar.

Yeah. I assume that either there is more going on than we know (this is likely in my opinion), or that talks broke down in some way that was irreconcilable (which I know is a popular theory around here, but it just seems so unlikely to me that they would be such at odds).

I obviously have no idea what’s going on, but it just feels so odd that they would have irreconcilable differences to the point they stop talking when it is obviously in everyone’s best interest to work something out, and no one benefits from what appears to be a public dispute. It’s peculiar.

Conspiracy theory time. Unless it’s all a well thought out plan worked out between Disney and Newsom so he could announce parks reopening without much political backlash! This way it looks like he had no choice but to cave to the pressure, announce guidelines, and everyone wins.

Joking but really... at this point. 🤷‍♀️

It makes me cry. I cannot believe that a year ago we were getting ready for our Halloween trip, which would be followed by two trips for Christmas. We were all so happy and just living life. And now people are dead, sick, out of work, struggling mentally, emotionally, economically, and I’m sitting here wondering.... “Will we ever go back to Disneyland again and hug Cinderella?” I mean it just makes you feel like life as we knew it is gone forever. I’m being melodramatic, but if you just stop for a moment and process everything we’ve all lost since March, it’s truly impossible to process it all.

My heart goes out to all of the CMs.

Heart also aches from CMs. Economic damage and injury is no joke. Sure, it's not COVID pneumonia, but it's very real and very painful for a long time... and it strikes unequally.

I've been lucky, very lucky. But I've lost a year of trips and excursions to our favorite places with a growing child, one year I will never get back. One year of hoisting her onto a carousel, one year of sitting next to her on Peter Pan while she still thinks it's cool to hang out with her dad. One year of her sitting on my shoulders watching some sort of parade go by. One year of riding Haunted Mansion w/ the holiday overlay over and over and over again.

Time is a gift; unfortunately, you can't bottle it up and save it for later.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter