Disneyland Resort Express buses - problems with loading ramps

bluecruiser

DIS Veteran
Warning for people using wheelchairs or ECV's who are traveling to Disneyland and planning to use DRE (Disneyland Resort Express). Just saw this thread in the Disneyland forum, where someone posted their recent experiences with using DRE, which is a paid bus service from LAX and SNA (John Wayne Orange County) airports to Disneyland-area hotels.

Thread link: disneyland resort express warning ADA

Bottom line - on two trips they had semi-functioning or non-functioning ramps/handicapped doors on 5 buses out of 6.

Last edited:
Warning for people using wheelchairs or ECV's who are traveling to Disneyland and planning to use DRE (Disneyland Resort Express). Just saw this thread in the Disneyland forum, where someone posted their recent experiences with using DRE, which is a paid bus service from LAX and SNA (John Wayne Orange County) airports to Disneyland-area hotels.

Thread link: disneyland resort express warning ADA

Bottom line - on two trips they had semi-functioning or non-functioning ramps/handicapped doors on 5 buses out of 6.

Hi so my mom and I just got back from our trip to Disneyland, we had a really awesome time and no one got sick this time. I intend to write more about the trip later. We booked the Disneyland express bus because my mom can stay in the wheelchair. We used this service also last may. Both times last may, the ramp had to be pumped manually by the driver. Feel sorry for the driver. when we arrived at john wayne, the driver informed us that the lift was broken again and so he had to pump it up again, he was really nice about it. But on the way home I had called ahead to catch the 420 bus from the grand California. When the bus arrived we were informed that the handicapped doors were broken and wouldn't even open. They called a mechanic to come to fix it. They are out there trying to pry open the doors. It took so long that the 520 bus came and they said we could take that one. Once again the lift doesn't work, as they are pumping up my mom to the top the ramp is totally bent in half, so she cant get off. They tried to bring her down, and it get s stuck 10feet off the ground/ She is up there for close to 45 minutes as they try to figure out what to do. My mom has asthma and she is breathing in the fumes from the engines this entire time. she starts to have a asthma attack/ they keep working on it and than the ramp slams to the ground. The driver and mechanic don't even apologize to me or my mom and take off. The hotel people were so great all through this apologizing profusely even though it has nothing to do with them. They than sent a third bus to get us which my mom didn't want to get on, we would have missed our flight but our flight was delayed and hour. I called to complain the nxt day and all they did was refund my money. and tell me how many buses they have to maintain. it took 6 buses to get one that worked. Passenger safety should be first especially for the handicapped and a public bus company, I did file a ada complaint with the justice dept,

I have had several Disney Magical Bus's have non-functioning wheelchair lifts, but they didn't call anyone to fix it, they just wait for the next one.

This has certainly not happened often.

The couple of times that it was disconcerting to me was when I was leaving Disney Pop Century Resort back to the MCO airport.

I was glad that I had the three hours check-in with DME, but I was still nervous about missing my flight.

This one time when my scheduled DME bus with the non-functioning wheelchair lift, left without me, the second DME bus already had a full bus and the third DME bus driver was driving that didn't know how to operate the lift. The fourth DME bus driver arrived and helped him load me.

I made it to the MCO airport and boarded, but I got there after boarding started.

When I was at MCO airport for arrival to go to WDW, I waited for quite a while watching other guest's boards after I was already there. Eventually, a Disney cast member came by and said that they have a Mears van to take me to WDW. I suppose that they had issues with lifts that day, too, but I didn't ask.

After all, I was going to WDW, right.

But missing a flight would have been different in my opinion.

I've had similar issues at WDW with the bus transportation when multiple stops were made by the same bus and the wheelchair spots were already full or the bus wouldn't lower.

But that hasn't happened much.

Important to note that Disneyland Resort Express is not owned or operated by Disney. It is a privately owned business with very mixed reviews, and there are many other options for transportation between LAX (or any other DLR area airport) and DLR. The OP of the linked thread says that she will be taking another service on her next trip.

Ray, once the second bus couldnt take ylu, resort management should have jumped in, or beeninvoked(wrong word, I know.) If this ever happens again, politely demand a management your bus can't take you.

Especially in this day and age, when they are running Minnie Vans to the airport - there's no reason for anyone to (potentially) miss a flight because Magical Express (and isn't that actually Mears?) keeping their equipment in proper working order... I would go straight to Resort management, and ask them to have Transportation arrange some other form of travel for you to the airport, STAT.

Just an update: someone posted on the DLR board that they reserved a DRE trip to LAX a few days ago and the bus did not show up. Called the company and was told that there were no buses available. DRE did send a taxi at their own expense ($100 for a one way trip), but this, in addition to their other issues, would make me think more than twice before booking them right now. Caveat emptor, indeed!

Last edited:
Super Shuttle (the other private transport company) is just as bad despite their claim to be fully accessible. Both times we reserved a wheelchair-accessible shared van and both times they filled the van to capacity which means not only can that person not travel in their chair, heavy luggage must be piled all around and on top of the chair because the chair is in the only luggage space. We were given the option to wait for another but that could have been hours and we missed our flight. There is just no telling how long it will be to get a new van so far out from their base.

This trip we payed the disability fine and hired a private shuttle by the same company. Every driver in our experience was very polite and helpful as well as being a great driver in LA traffic. The problem is at the booking/allocating level and wanting to maximize profits while looking good on paper. We were told to call and speak to someone when reserving the next time and might try that path but there is still the possibility of it not working out and then missing our flight.

Glad to see this post because I saw the Disneyland Resort bus at the airport and was thinking of giving them a try.

. This trip we payed the disability fine and hired a private shuttle by the same company. Every driver in our experience was very polite and helpful as well as being a great driver in LA traffic. The problem is at the booking/allocating level and wanting to maximize profits while looking good on paper. We were told to call and speak to someone when reserving the next time and might try that path but there is still the possibility of it not working out and then missing our flight.

Glad to see this post because I saw the Disneyland Resort bus at the airport and was thinking of giving them a try.
What is a disability fine? The last I checked, companies are required to provide services for those with disabilities at the same rate as everyone else can get.

Also while you usually have to schedule them in advance, Uber and Lyft generally offer accessible vehicles in most of California.

Another heads up is whenever possible fly into Long Beach or John Wayne, they are smaller airports, but both are closer to Disneyland and are much more accessible than LAX for those with disabilities.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter