• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disneyland Short Escape vs. Disneyland Resort and SOCAL

Looking forward to your review. Have fun!

Same with us. Really looking to do this before our Wonder Spring break cruise in March.
We are back from the April 26-29 Disneyland Resort and SoCal Escape. Short report: we loved it! Like others who weighed in above, we live in Southern California (I grew up in Torrance, we now live in San Diego)--so I have been to Disneyland many, many times. We were not interested in Hollywood, and while the Muppets are great it wasn't a "must do" for me. One of my long-held wishes was to see Walt's apartment that is above the Main Street fire house--I have been watching for a D23 tour or some other way to see it. Then this short escape popped up!

We priced it out and decided it was worth it. The Grand Californian is one of our favorite Disney hotels, the studios/Archives/Imagineering tours offered a deep dive into Disney history and getting behind the scenes at the parks offered a way to see and appreciate the work behind the magic.

The trip did not disappoint. Our guides (Lori and Alyssa) were a great team--and both loved to share Disney legends/lore/trivia. I had been on a Disney studio/Archives tour before (with D23)--but the ABD-lead tour was more detailed, and included meals at the studio commissary and at Tam O'Shanter (one of Walt Disney's favorite restaurants near the studio). The heart and soul of this trip are the 2nd and 3rd days---day two being the Burbank area portion, and day 3 focused on the two parks.

For day 3, you'll need closed-toe shoes (for touring behind the scenes). If you are staying just the three nights, it will be hard to fit in pool time! (And good idea to layer up--a little chilly in the AM, warms up and then cools down for the evening--you can leave stuff on the bus during Days 2 and 3, which helps).

Days 1 and 4 are generally on your own--there is a welcome dinner and gathering in the early evening of Day 1, and Day 4 is departure day (no breakfast that day--Disney is trying to keep the costs of this short adventure down. On Day 4, we did early entry into California Adventure--and also an early morning exercise walk in CA, which went from 6 AM to 6:45--;after the walk we got right in line for the early hours and went back in at 7 to do the main rides before the general public came in. If you want a brisk walk of CA, see guest relations--they can take 15 people, it is free, and cool to see CA without people).

Unlike traditional ABDs, the last night (Day 3 evening) is not a dinner but desserts--and seeing either World of Color (not running while we were there--nor will it be for the May 3 escape), or the new lights parade in CA (which was really fun--more than I thought it would be!). I know Disney is keeping the costs down--but personally I would rather have had a welcome dessert and reception on Day 1 (and more time to use the 4-day hopper pass you get) and then wrap it up on Day 3 with a dinner and fireworks or the parade. After such solid Days 2 and 3, the dessert farewell was just OK.

I don't want to give away too many of the surprises--but I will say that for the studio/Imagineering tours and the backstage tours, the additional folks there to talk to us were excellent/knowledgeable and steep in Disney history. For a Disney fan, this was an ideal trip---especially for someone like me who grew up with Disneyland. I loved the place before, but now I have a deeper understanding of and appreciation for what Walt Disney built. Happy to answer questions!

Thanks so much for the review @WeLoveABD! I do have some questions:

1. Where was the welcome dinner?
I agree that it would be better to have a farewell dinner than a welcome dinner. Farewell desserts just seem anti-climatic.

2. On Day 3, it says only breakfast is included. Does that mean your behind the scenes tour was over before lunch?Was the behind the scenes tour at both parks?

3. Did they give you Fastpasses for the parks on Day 3? If so, were they good for all rides?

This sounds like a perfect Backstage trip for my family. I grew up in So Cal and my kids (in their 20's now) grew up going to Disneyland, so it would be very nostalgic for all of us. My daughter used to live in Hollywood (she lives in Burbank now, LOL), so we are not interested in the Hollywood portion of Backstage Magic either.

Thank for taking the time to write a review and answering questions.

One more question...

How many were in your ABD group?
We had 23, the group before us (the first escape trip) had 16. So it is growing! The welcome dinner was in Cafe Orleans (near Pirates-- which is closed as they are changing the auction scene). Day 3 AM is in Disneyland, then you have a 30 minute lunch break at Paradise Pier and do behind the scenes tours at California Adventure. For the longer ABD, a day is devoted to each park. With most of Thursday and Sunday available for park rides, coupled with VIP access for a few rides and other surprises I won't spoil, we had plenty of time to do what we wanted in the parks. Try to get there early on day 1, and stay as long as you can on day 4. Warning! With SoCal passes, Sunday can be very busy and Saturday isn't much better-- do maximize Thursday and early entry on Sunday! Also, the dinner window is a little tight for Day 3 (dessert reception around 6:45). We booked a 2:40 Blue Bayou which worked out fine-- no boats floating by as the ride is closed, but there is still the night atmosphere and some water in the bayou!

23 is a nice size group. That is early for dinner and dessert, but it sounds like a great trip overall! Yes, DLR can get very crowded on the weekends. One can only imagine what it will be like once Galaxy's Edge opens.

Thanks for posting the review. We are heading out for the tour on May 3rd and as FL residents who have been going to WDW our whole lives, we are very exicited for this trip.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting the review. We are heading out for the tour on May 3rd and as FL residents who have been going to WDW our whole lives we are very exicited for this trip.
Have a great trip! Report back when you can and let us know how it goes.

We had 23, the group before us (the first escape trip) had 16. So it is growing! The welcome dinner was in Cafe Orleans (near Pirates-- which is closed as they are changing the auction scene). Day 3 AM is in Disneyland, then you have a 30 minute lunch break at Paradise Pier and do behind the scenes tours at California Adventure. For the longer ABD, a day is devoted to each park. With most of Thursday and Sunday available for park rides, coupled with VIP access for a few rides and other surprises I won't spoil, we had plenty of time to do what we wanted in the parks. Try to get there early on day 1, and stay as long as you can on day 4. Warning! With SoCal passes, Sunday can be very busy and Saturday isn't much better-- do maximize Thursday and early entry on Sunday! Also, the dinner window is a little tight for Day 3 (dessert reception around 6:45). We booked a 2:40 Blue Bayou which worked out fine-- no boats floating by as the ride is closed, but there is still the night atmosphere and some water in the bayou!

Thanks for sharing your review and tips to maximize park days. Sounds like a fantastic trip. It looks like the date we are considering in March starts on Wednesday and ends on Saturday with transportation provided to San Diego to board the Wonder. Not sure how long we can stay on day 4 since we will need to get to the ship. Gives me something to think about.

Last edited:
@WeLoveABD

Do you happen to remember what time dinner at Cafe Orleans was the first night? Our plane doesn’t land at LAX until 4:05 (I have to see patients in the morning so couldn’t get an earlier flight). I am just hoping we don’t miss dinner.

Thanks!

@WeLoveABD

Do you happen to remember what time dinner at Cafe Orleans was the first night? Our plane doesn’t land at LAX until 4:05 (I have to see patients in the morning so couldn’t get an earlier flight). I am just hoping we don’t miss dinner.

Thanks!
We met as a group in the hotel lobby at 5 pm, had introductions and details until 6ish-- seems to me dinner was not underway until 6:30 or 6:45. The guides will watch after you, get you caught up, save you seats-- I think you will be fine, although you will have bag retrieval at LAX and traffic to contend with. But this is part of the beauty of an ABD trip-- take a break, a deep relaxing breath and let the guides (with a little pixie dust) get you settled in!

@WeLoveABD

Thanks!
Did you get to the dinner on time? Anything Star Wars special for this May the 4th?

Did you get to the dinner on time? Anything Star Wars special for this May the 4th?

So we ended up skipping dinner. We were both beat so Lori gave us a gift card and we went and grabed Earl of Sanwhich and some water, and went back to the room.

Today other members of the group said dinner last night was a mess. They moved it to Country Tratorria and dinner took 3 hours. That said we ended up missing Paint the Night and Radiator Springs Racer FP+ but we needed the rest after jet lag, me fighting a cold, and the long day of travel from FL.

Today has been great, we really enjoyed the studios and WDI was simply amazing. Dinner was just as good. Spent way too much money at Mickey’s of Glendale. We have Lori and Alyssa who have been on the ball. We had one “surprise” today which I don’t want to to ruin for anyone on the boards.

Currently sitting on the bus in traffic heading back to the GC.

So we ended up skipping dinner. We were both beat so Lori gave us a gift card and we went and grabed Earl of Sanwhich and some water, and went back to the room.

Today other members of the group said dinner last night was a mess. They moved it to Country Tratorria and dinner took 3 hours. That said we ended up missing Paint the Night and Radiator Springs Racer FP+ but we needed the rest after jet lag, me fighting a cold, and the long day of travel from FL.

Today has been great, we really enjoyed the studios and WDI was simply amazing. Dinner was just as good. Spent way too much money at Mickey’s of Glendale. We have Lori and Alyssa who have been on the ball. We had one “surprise” today which I don’t want to to ruin for anyone on the boards.

Currently sitting on the bus in traffic heading back to the GC.

glad you had a good day today. Lori is great!

What kind of merchandise is available at Mickeys of Glendale? I have the Short Escape booked in Sept.

What kind of merchandise is available at Mickeys of Glendale? I have the Short Escape booked in Sept.
Clothing, some jewelry, mugs, books, some collector items-- clothing tends to be more high end but all Disney! Some is themed---Star Wars etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter