Disneyland vs. Disney World

Having been to both within the last year, I can say my wife and I both enjoy DL better. I like how close everything is ar DL. You can stay onsite and not have to worry about transportation at all.

Plus, DL has so much more history. You can walk down Main St. and know Walt walked down that very same street years before.

Don't get me wrong, we both liked WDW, and are planning a return trip in 07. It was just hard with 3 small kids, lugging a stroller on the bus/boat/monorail everywhere we went.

The conventional wisdom, when I was out there, was...DO NOT GO TO DISNEYLAND ON A SATURDAY!!!!!

We went from Sunday thru Friday, late August, and only Sunday was really crowded.

DisneyDotty said:
I'm wondering--those who have been to both parks--are there any planning strategies for WDW that also apply to DL? (ie, are ps's a must, any days to avoid DL, etc?) I eagerly look forward to any tips for DL that you would like to provide!
I think attendance at WDW is driven more by out of town visitors while attendance at DL is driven more by locals (especially off-season). Even off-season, weekends at DL can be pretty crowded, so even more so than WDW, showing up early is a good idea (esp. on the weekend). Because DL is more compact (with narrower walkways) it feels more crowded, even if attendance is that same as MK. However, DL mid-week is much quieter than WDW mid-week. If vacation is over a weekend, I will probably reserve Saturday/Sunday for DCA (maybe heading over to DL for fireworks and fantasmic in the evening). PS's are much less important as there are fewer opportunities for eating on-site and so many more for eating off-site. The exceptions would be character meals, fantasmic dessert buffet & BB, maybe RFC & Napa Rose. Fantasmic dessert buffet only seats 20 on the balcony, so those go very quickly. Personally, when I do Fantasmic, it will only be from the balcony. DL has also added a dessert seating option closer to the water, but the view isn't as good and I don't think it's a buffet.

Another thing quite different are the hotels. While at WDW you have quite a range of on-site hotels (which offer the benefits of staying on-site) at DL there are only three (in price range from moderately expensive to really expensive, although occasionally a promotion like the current 4 nights for the cost of 3 makes it a little more reasonable). In my opinion, if you're a park visitor who wants to go back every afternoon for a nap and a swim, maybe only go to a park for 1/2 day and spend more time shopping, relaxing, hanging out, dining, then you should consider a DL hotel. But if you're a park commando who basically plans on sleeping in the room and that's about it, then there's a wide range of more affordable, convenient hotels that are walking distance or short shuttle ride to the parks. Unfortunately, at DL you will *never* have that feeling of being completely away from the rest of the world so why pay the money for an on-site hotel.

Thanks Sterm and Seattle! Our travel plans have us arriving at the DL area on a Saturday, and we're staying 5 nights. This is right before Christmas. Would you advise us booking a tour for our Saturday arrival at DL, thus at least allowing us some attractions without a crowd hassle? I would like to hit either DL or DCA the day we arrive. What would you recommend?

I was so happy to find this thread!! After weeks and weeks of conteplating...we are thinking of going back to Disneyland. We finally came to that conclusion a few minutes ago, and then I saw this thread and you all confirmed what I wanted to hear!!

We went in May '04. There were a few things closed when we were there-Alice in Wonderland, Space Mountain, Peters Pans Flight. And I never got to go on Indiana Jones, the Haunted House, TOT, California Screamin--so want to do that this time! (son was too short-now I have no excuses-he is tall enough!)

I also think that with us going in December, it will be totally different with all the Christmas decor up and stuff. Excited to see how beautiful it will be!

Plus we will stay at a different hotel, maybe on site this time.

Thanks again!!

If I had to choose between the 2 parks (DL or DCA), on a Saturday, I'd go to DCA. In contrast to DL, DCA never was crowded at all during my stay, even on weekend days.

But remember, the Saturday I was in Anaheim, my family and I did an LA/Hollywood driving tour. If you are planning something along those lines, Saturday worked pretty well for us.

If you mean to do a DL park tour, I would say that would be a good way to get around the crowd issue, at least somewhat. I imagine that you'd have to call and book the tour ASAP.

This might be off topic but you guys were talking about weekends so do you think the last weekend of january would be crowded.

The people I talked to when I was in DL (locals, mostly) agree that weekends are crowded year-round. Your best hope, believe it or not, is to hope for a spot of rain...the locals stay home!

Or so I've been told :earseek:

Sterm26 said:
The people I talked to when I was in DL (locals, mostly) agree that weekends are crowded year-round. Your best hope, believe it or not, is to hope for a spot of rain...the locals stay home!

Or so I've been told :earseek:
True weekends are crowded,,Sunday afternoon really lightens up however. It rained last Sunday and we went. It's the cold that keeps us away, anything under 60. We average 45 visits a year and love our park, but love WDW as well. Two different experiences for us, WDW is a vacation, DL is just another day at the park.

I also have been to both DL and WDW this year...
We are DVC members, and enjoy WDW a great deal... but I was in California so I jumped to DL for a quick afternoon visit.

I was impressed with DL... I thought the CMs were almost WDW caliber. I was amazed that I liked DL so much... gasp, even better than the MK? It is compact and very easy to navigate... and VERY Disney.

Florida is closer for us... but I'll definately be returning to DL with my wife and kids! :Pinkbounc

We're planning our first trip to DL in either April or May of 06 and after reading all of your posts, my excitement is way over the top!!! We have been to WDW 3 times and love it, but just looking at the size difference I know DL will not be the same. Can't wait to post after our trip and I'm sure I'll be all over this board gathering tips for our first visit to DL!!!!!

:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

Hi,

I just came over to this board after living on the WDW boards for the past few months. But I grew up in So. Cal, have been to DL countless times, and have been to WDW four times. I don't think I can say which I like better. To me, they are just different. I like WDW better for a week-long, nothing but Disney vacation, but for a day in a theme park (or two), I like DL better.

I'm always amused at some of the things people say they don't like about DL, because those are usually the things I don't like about WDW, in the reverse. (Not flaming, just saying it's funny -- I think it's the "home park" thing.)

For example, you said you didn't like that some attractions are visible from the street, and that by not being this way "WDW lets the anticipation build as you get closer". I love catching that first glimpse of the Matterhorn as we drive up to DL. The excitement rushes through me as we pull into the parking lot, and there is plenty of time for anticipation to build as we park, make our way to the entrance, etc. AT WDW, I always feel like it takes so long to get there. I think, "OK, we've entered Disney property, but where is everything?" For me, it's anticlimactic, and it's one of the things I like less in WDW. It goes along with the whole size thing, though. Lots of "WDW people" (for lack of a better term, lol) say how they don't like that DL is so much smaller, but again, that's one of the things I prefer about DL. At either location, one park may not be as appealing to some families. At WDW, it's much harder to say, head to MGM just to ride ToT and RnRC, then head back to another park. At DL, it's easy to skip over to CA, ride ToT, Screamin', Soarin' and Grizzly River, then head back to DL.

I never noticed a lack of shade at DL, but since the heat and humidity aren't as intense in California, I've never felt a need for shade the way I do in WDW. Also, I've never had a CM tell me to have a magical day at WDW, either, so CM friendliness is not something I've noticed any difference in.

I agree that the Pier area of CA isn't so great, but it's just like Dinoland in WDW's AK. Not Disney's best, but not a reason to discredit an entire park, especially when that park has some other great attractions. As a family of thrill ride junkies, we actually enjoy day at CA much more than we enjoy at day at AK, Epcot or MGM.

The Matterhorn, yes, is probably disappointing by today's roller coaster standards. But as someone pointed out, it's pretty old, and was quite exciting back when it was built. As much as I think it needs a revamp, I'll be very sad if they change it much, I have such great memories of it -- my first "coaster" type ride and how exciting (and scary!) it seemed for a little girl back in the late 60's/early 70's.

Anyway, just wanted to add my comments as someone who spent a lot of time at DL before ever going to WDW, and let you know that you were right about some of us, at least, feeling the opposite as you do.

After reading all of your views on both DL and WDW, I just thought I would add my little "bit".
I'm in England and so the first park I visited was Disneyland Paris, which we really enjoyed, though it was very, very expensive. This was around 1997-1998.
In 2002 we had our first visit to Disneyland California, we had a 4 day pass and loved every moment of it, but due to the long flight (11.5 hours) and the cost, we never thought we would be back.....till.....
Last year we were in Anaheim for 4 weeks and we had Deluxe AP's so we spent an awful lot of time in both parks and at Downtown Disney and we didn't want to go home.
This year we decided to visit Orlando as my daughter wanted to swim with dolphins at Discovery Cove. So we had 2 weeks at WDW which we enjoyed and we even got to visit Celebration which is a beautiful little place.
Out of the 3 parks the worst one was Paris, too expensive and we never saw any characters apart from Mickey and Minnie driving past in a car. The CM's were quite friendly, but also quite rude.
WDW was very nice but we didn't like all the storms ( nobody told us it was rainy season till after we had booked) and getting wet all the time. The rides were good and there was a lot to do in 2 weeks, we didn't get to do it all. The CM's were friendly but we also got the impression that some of them were there just for the money and put no effort into anything.As a non driver (not that I didn't want to drive...I can't drive) we found the transport to be a big problem and everything is so spread out.The buses picked up at 8am. 9am amd 10am and that was it(we were not onsite).
Disneyland California is "home" to us, we can walk to the parks if we want to or the bus picks up at the hotel every half hour throughout the day and night meaning we could spend the day by the pool or shopping and go down in the evening.
We love the rides especially Indiana Jones and TOT is much better than at WDW.
I like the bit about about looking for The matterhorn on the drive to the park, reminded me of being a child and looking for Blackpool Tower when we were being taken to the seaside for the day, the first one to spot it got a penny!!!...lol.
The problem now is that we feel the need to go back to California again next year as we missed it this year, but the probem is the money, it costs a fortune to get over there, but then its not as expensive once we are over there, things are about half of what they are over here, thats another reason to visit again.
Love Ella

Sterm26 said:
Oh, I'm not saying that the pizza at WDW is any better! The pizza at the Pop Century food court at WDW is downright vile! Of course, I am a bit biased, here in South Philly we have dozens of mom-and-pop pizza places that blow away any chain pizza. I do think that the restaurants at DL are better, on average, than the ones at WDW's Magic Kingdom (but you can't beat Epcot's international dining).

:teeth:

Guess you havent' eaten lunch at Liberty Tree Tavern! But then again, I haven't eaten at Blue Bayou.

Just got back from WDW trip. Going to DL in March 2006. Can't wait for our own personal comparison! :)

sters said:
Guess you havent' eaten lunch at Liberty Tree Tavern! But then again, I haven't eaten at Blue Bayou.

I've eaten dinner at both, which including being seated in the absolute middle of the waterfront tables at the Blue Bayou.

MK_no_bb_250.jpg

Yes, while a little too dark (hard to read the menu) and with tables crammed a little too closely together, it was still nice ....and was the only meal we experienced over the course of four days at DL that I would descibe as even approaching decent table service.

On the other hand, the Liberty Tree at WDW is a cute but not particularly special experience (at least to those who have eaten in real historic inns in New England or the Mid Atlantic). The pre-fix meal (I don't know what the people below are supposedly looking at, the place doesn't have menus) is solid but slightly bland, and without the characters the restaurant probably wouldn't get anything near the business it does.

foto_park_magickingdom_res3.gif

However, the Liberty Tree sits in a resort full of scores of sit-down dining options, running from good (well, a few are less than that -- Tony's Town Square and the Mexican restaurant in Epcot immediately come to mind -- but most start at "good") to excellent.

Or stated differently, just given the difference in number and range of options, WDW pretty much blows DL away when it comes to those looking for really good dining.

My DH and I are DVC members and we absolutely adore WDW. I would live on Main St if they let me. We Took our kids DD-17, DS-16, DS-12, DDfriend-18, DSfriend16, to Disneyland last April. We Stayed at GC and we had a wonderful time. Everyone was very friendly, the weather was wonderful and the hotel is beautiful. It reminds me of my home dvc the WL so I felt so at home. Everyday we walked to DD which was right outside our hotel room and would chose which park to start with. The crowds were a little rough at times but being within walking distance to our hotel was a lot easier than WDW and having to find our bus, wait, and then ride to our hotel. Don't get me wrong I love WDW but that part was really enjoyable. Mr. Toad's wild ride was really a blast too because that was our favorite ride before they replaced it with pooh. We ate at the blue bayou in PoC and it was a lot of fun. Fantasmic is more enjoyable in MGM because you are able to sit and relax instead of standing in DL. Oh and I love Ferris Wheels but I went on the large Sun Ferris Wheel with my youngest in DCA and I though I was not going to make it without getting sick. :guilty: My advice is if you get motion sick then don't go in the swing car go in one that stays still. Anyway I definately would encourage everyone to go to DL because like everyone said it is so neat to know that that is where Walts dream started.

CALNEVA DISNEYFANS said:
Well I do need to comment on this thread...

We live in N. California, and we love both DL and WDW. We are leaving (Oct. 28th) for our 3rd trip to WDW in 4 yrs! We have been to DL more times than WDW.

Disneyland just seems so OriGINAL. Pirates of C is better, Blue Bayou in the same building as the ride, CLUB 33, Indiana Jones... Matterhorn. The park is so compact (which may be a negative as the park continues to grow). Truly one of a kind! No crummy buses to take to the different parks. California Adventure, while no favorite park of mine, reminds me of MGM and Epcott combined into one.

With that said, we LoVE WDW - Disneyland set on a lake, spread out, like someone else said... what Walt would have done if he had the money to buy enough land. Four Parks... WOW. And now... WDW is going to have its own version of the Matterhorn!

DL has WDW beat when it comes to ORIGINALITY and convenience. However, WDW has DL beat when it comes to quantity... Disney, Disney, Disney. WE LOVE them both for the different experiences they give.

Any true DISNEY freak has to go to the ORigINAL at least once.

P.S. If you go to Disneyland use RIDEMAX what a great program!

Well, We have to add to our comments after our return trip from WDW...

We had a great time, enjoyed the Saratoga Resort! I do have to say... I forgot what a pain it is getting out of the MK at the close of the park. WOW. Plan on staying in line for at least 1hr or more!!!! Monorail - Packed, Boat - Packed. DL is SO much easier. Spent lots of money dining at WDW. WDW has DL beat in the "in park" dining. Both DL and WDW have downtown disney - same experience. New Orleans Square beats Liberty Square - hands down. Monorail running thru the DL park... beautiful. The original TOT at MGM so much better than DCA. Its a small world, better (exterior) at DL. Pirates of the Carabean better at DL. We still love them both... DL so much more convenient, WDW so much bigger. We will have to continue to visit both parks... Disneyland will always hold a special place in our heart. :love:

Okay well I have been to disneyworld many many times, mainly because I live in Tampa. 2 years ago I visited Disneyland. Haha, wow I HATED it!

Disneyworld has so much more to offer it was just sad. You really do feel like your in another world, a magical one. Disneyland, I felt like i was in a typical city filled with cars and buildings. It was terrible. The park is smaller, the people, the vibe, it just isnt the same.

The best way to have a great time at disneyworld, stay at a Magic kingdom Resort!!!!! Its about 2 minutes away from the park and your connected to other hotels and it's a great way to spend your vacation!

PS if you want a paradise, fresh resort, STAY AT THE POLYNESIAN!! it has a great view of magic kingdom, only about 3 minutes away from the park =]

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter