Disneyland vs. Disney World

Funny to see this old thread pop up again!
I went back and read my post.
We had been to DL once, and we were going again.
Since then, we have been to WDW.
We are going to WDW again in August.

We liked WDW because:
Bigger
More to do
Waterparks
Cheaper to stay onsite, which is great.
Fun extras--parasailing, speedboating, Cirque De Soliel etc..
Free dining plan, which we are getting again, closed the deal!

We love both though!

Why to go to Disneyland!

1| Disneyland does some things better in my opinion:
-The Tiki Room (DL has the ORIGINAL show)
-The Toon Town in DL is bigger and has more to do when compared to Toon Fair in DW
-The Pirates of the Caribbean is longer and has more drops and detail in DL
-It's A Small World is visually superior in DL

2| Disneyland has several things The Magic Kingdom does not:
The three big ones!--
-Indiana Jones (just waiting in line for this ride is amazing!)
-The Matterhorn roller coaster
-Submarine Voyage: Finding Nemo

Other minor ones:
-The Alice in Wonderland ride
-Mr. Toads Wild Ride
-Pinocchio's Daring Adventure
-New Orleans Square
-The Tarzan Treehouse

3| Disneyland has California Adventure -- Sure, Disney World has MGM Studios and the Animal Kingdom, but California Adventure has all the major rides that are in both of those parks (and is right across the street from DL -- no bus required!).

-MGM Studios has the Tower of Terror and the Rock N' Roller Coaster, whereas California Adventure has the Tower of Terror, too, and California Screamin', (a roller coaster with a loop inside the shape of Mickey!).
-The Animal Kingdom has a rapid ride, but only has 1 drop; whereas in California Adventure the Grizzly Rapids has 2 drops and is much longer and more fun.

(Plus, when California Adventure is done being remodeled, it will be far, far, far superior)

4| Disneyland is more convenient -- Everything is walking distance at the Disneyland Resort. Once you are on the park grounds you can walk to and from all three areas (Disneyland, California Adventure and Downtown Disney) in only a few minutes. At Disney World you must wait for a bus to go to any other areas, ride the bus for 20 or so minutes, and then finally reach your destination (makes things stressful and not as magical). I don't want to ride a bus in my happy place!

5| Disneyland is the original -- To put it simply, Disneyland has a charm and feel Disney World doesn't have, in my opinion.

Good things about Disney World: It has Epcot (which is very, VERY cool), a bigger (but not necessarily better) Downtown Disney, and a few fun water parks.

So my advice for anyone who has not been to either: go to Disney World for Epcot, and then go to California for the original! ;)

Thanks for the post and the replies everyone. We are actually going to do both resorts for our next vacation in August. Spending 7 days at DLR and then 13 days in Orlando primarily for WDW.

We've been to DLR a few times and I am looking forward to seeing what all the fuss about is with WDW. My research is making me doubt that 13 days will be enough!

Will make sure I do a trip report when we get back.

Cheers
Angela

I have been to WDW 3 times, all without kids. I have been to DL about 15 times, only 4 of those times with kids, as the Mom. I do believe that both places are wonderful and magical. Without kids, I really like the better dining options as well as the other shows and things that The World has to offer. However, the temperatures and the humidity of Florida could possibly completely ruin a trip for me, so I would not risk going again, unless it was going to be like in January, or some other month that I knew I could handle the temps. I would only bring my family if my kids were 8 years old or older and even then I would not likely park hop. The size of the parks are exhausting, and the traveling between is difficult and time consuming. I also would not go for less than 10 days, and we seldom have that much time for vacationing.

DL however is absolutely wonderful for young families. It is easy to go back and forth between parks, easy to return to your room midday for rest, easy to use fast pass runners and minimize line waiting.

Okay, so I admit it. I do love DL the best. But I do also love WDW. Really I am looking forward to the 2011 Hawaii Disney park, so I can compare and contrast. Can't imagine I won't love it!

Disney is not actually building a theme park in Hawaii. They are only building a resort hotel.

"The resort, Disney's first without a nearby theme park, will emphasize family-centered vacations while respecting Hawaii's culture, said Disney Parks & Resorts Chairman Jay Rasulo."

So my advice for anyone who has not been to either: go to Disney World for Epcot, and then go to California for the original! ;)

:thumbsup2 I totally agree. IMHO, the MK has nothing on the charm of DL. It's just so much more "Disney" than that great huge monster over in Orlando.

Oh, how we would have loved for CA to have been an EPCOT type of place. Hopefully the re-vamping will help along those lines.

Now having said that, I need to get back to planning my 10th trip to WDW in the last 14 years. :cool1:

While I love DLR. One thing I am not a fan of is the food. I have been to DLR many times, but no food compare to WDW. All the food we've eaten in WDW is 100% better, especially some of the places in Epcot. I wish DLR had some comparable to Le Cellier or LTT.

Just my 2 cents for what it's worth.:)

I'll be going to DL for the first time in July, only for two day, then I'll be on a Disney Cruise. I'm excited to see DL and all the stuff in CA never been there. On the other hand I've been to WDW 7 times, and I love it, I'm sure I'll love DL as much as I love going to WDW, just costs less to travel to Florida for me. Now If DCL puts a ship out in CA for good when the new ships are built I might have to switch up going to WDW and DL every other year lol one can only wish right

I grew up going to DL and this past summer I got to take my son there for his 1st trip/Birthday. I lived in FL for a couple years and I was able to make it over to WDW 2x in 2000 & 2001 and The differences were definitely noticeable to me.

1st the negative
The only real disappointment I had with WDW was Fantasyland. MK still has the Medieval fair look that DL had prior to the 1983 redesign. It doesn’t immerse you in the fantasy as well IMHO. It's most noticeable at Small World which really disappointed me in its presentation. There is also a lot less at the MK Fantasyland. Alice, Casey Jr, Mr. Toad, Pinocchio, Storybook land, Matterhorn; all missing from MK. It's a bit strange to me why the park with the most real estate would have a smaller and less impressive Fantasyland.

As for the rest of the parks, Epcot and DAK were only interesting enough to me for a day each. Granted, each park has a bit more now then they did back then (Mission Space, Nemo, and most of all Everest looks like a worthy successor to the Matterhorn and can finally excuse the lack of our beloved Swiss Mt.)

Now for the positive
The rest of MK is a pleasant surprise in layout and rides when you are used to DL, especially the western half. The way that the familiar rides are different in their own way makes them unique treats to discover. Most noticeable to me were the two jewels of any Disney park, Haunted Mansion and Pirates. Pirates of the Caribbean’s walk through prison as the queue is a cool addition to the lore and makes slow lines entertaining. pirate: My wife and I had our best Disney hospitality experience at this ride. We were there right before we got married in sort of a pre-honeymoon. I had on a Mickey top hat and my wife had on a Minnie veil. When we got to the boats, the ride handler instantly placed us to the side, no questions asked and gave us the next boat completely to ourselves. I've never had a problem with hospitality at DL, but they do seem to give just a little bit extra at WDW.

MGM was a fun park and we spent a lot of time there. Both ToT and Rock n rollercoaster are better than their DCA counterparts (California screamin is the closest thing to RnRC and not nearly as good).

Overall, My heart still lives in So. Cal but WDW is something every West Coast Disney fan should experience at least once.

I grew up going to DL and this past summer I got to take my son there for his 1st trip/Birthday. I lived in FL for a couple years and I was able to make it over to WDW 2x in 2000 & 2001 and The differences were definitely noticeable to me.

1st the negative
The only real disappointment I had with WDW was Fantasyland. MK still has the Medieval fair look that DL had prior to the 1983 redesign. It doesn’t immerse you in the fantasy as well IMHO. It's most noticeable at Small World which really disappointed me in its presentation. There is also a lot less at the MK Fantasyland. Alice, Casey Jr, Mr. Toad, Pinocchio, Storybook land, Matterhorn; all missing from MK. It's a bit strange to me why the park with the most real estate would have a smaller and less impressive Fantasyland.

As for the rest of the parks, Epcot and DAK were only interesting enough to me for a day each. Granted, each park has a bit more now then they did back then (Mission Space, Nemo, and most of all Everest looks like a worthy successor to the Matterhorn and can finally excuse the lack of our beloved Swiss Mt.)

Now for the positive
The rest of MK is a pleasant surprise in layout and rides when you are used to DL, especially the western half. The way that the familiar rides are different in their own way makes them unique treats to discover. Most noticeable to me were the two jewels of any Disney park, Haunted Mansion and Pirates. Pirates of the Caribbean’s walk through prison as the queue is a cool addition to the lore and makes slow lines entertaining. pirate: My wife and I had our best Disney hospitality experience at this ride. We were there right before we got married in sort of a pre-honeymoon. I had on a Mickey top hat and my wife had on a Minnie veil. When we got to the boats, the ride handler instantly placed us to the side, no questions asked and gave us the next boat completely to ourselves. I've never had a problem with hospitality at DL, but they do seem to give just a little bit extra at WDW.

MGM was a fun park and we spent a lot of time there. Both ToT and Rock n rollercoaster are better than their DCA counterparts (California screamin is the closest thing to RnRC and not nearly as good).

Overall, My heart still lives in So. Cal but WDW is something every West Coast Disney fan should experience at least once.

Very well said. I love both parks, but I TOO noticed more hospitality or a bit more "magic" at WDW.

Do you think it's because the CM can be so much more immersed at WDW than a DLR. Who knows, just a thought.:confused3

Very well said. I love both parks, but I TOO noticed more hospitality or a bit more "magic" at WDW.

Do you think it's because the CM can be so much more immersed at WDW than a DLR. Who knows, just a thought.:confused3

I had heard once that all new CMs at DLR start at DCA and have to earn a promotion over to DL. If this is true and the same kind of thing exists at WDW, then MK has a much larger pool of candidates and can be much pickier with who gets to be CMs. You would really be getting the best of the best at MK.

Just a thought. :)

-Mike_M

I have been to DL in '69 and '80. WDW in '75, '76. '78, '82, '93, '04, '06, '07x2 and will be going back to DL in June '07 with my kids... can't wait! I'm excited to see the differences in DL since being there way back when!!

I think it's fair to say that I have significantly less WDW/DL experience than many here, but my view has more to with Orlando as a whole as opposed to Los Angeles/Anaheim.
Overall, if there wasn't such a drastic difference in plane fare ($600 to fly from NY to CA, as opposed to $200 to fly to FL), I would have such a hard time deciding between WDW and DL.

Pros for DL- If you stay about 40 minutes away, like we did, in Newport Beach, you get both the amazing Pacific Ocean AND DL! You can go back and forth between DTD, DCA, and and DL in one day; the parks are much more manageable. We did DCA in one day on its own and felt that sufficed, 2 days at DL was perfect. In one day at DCA, we were able to hit Soarin' twice, TOT three times, and Screamin! twice. It's great to have a place where these great rides are at ONE park. At DL, we were able to do all the major attractions multiple times-- in July! We also had a fun day at Universal. Oh, and the weather is gorgeous. No matter how hot it is, it's never humid. The fruit stands were priced better and fresher.

Cons for DL-It's really more for a long weekend than a week or more. I can imagine getting bored after a couple of days; although I'd love to go once a year or every other. The LA area has little to offer and seemed a little...grimy.

Pros for WDW- So much to do, so many parks. So many great restaurants. So many great OTHER attractions-- SeaWorld, a much much much better Universal Studios, Islands of Adventure.

Cons for WDW- too spread out. I really feel like doing more than one park in a day is too stressful. The Orlando weather is disgusting in the summer-- humid and rainy. Has seemed...dirtier in the past few years.

I have many fond memories at WDW, but our one trip to CA/DL was simply amazing. I'd probably have to visit them more equally to offer a more valid opinion, but overall, I have to give DL the advantage. The convenience, history, and cleanliness wins out :-)

well, I've only been to Disneyland. I've been there countless times, as I only live about 20-30 minutes away. I used to have the Deluxe annual pass, but that expired, and it's a lot of money. But I love Disneyland. Like others have said here earlier in the thread, I've always liked seeing the Matterhorn on the way to Disneyland when i was a little kid. That's what told me that we were almost there, and I got really excited. Back then, it was as big and important landmark as the castle.

Disneyland has always had that magical feel to me. Just walking down mains street makes me feel like a young child again. The smell of the bakery, and the sweets. And the place has so much history, which all adds to that magical feeling.

Of course, DCA opened in 2001. I went there, didn't like it nearly as much as Disneyland, but still liked it. But I found that after a few hours it was hard to find something else to do. And there are definitely some things that Disney did the DCA that, like other people, I don't agree with or like. Like others have pointed out, Paradise Pier is exactly what Walt did not want, so it's kind of ironic that they made it under the name "Disney". Plus it was made on the cheap side. It was made for 600 million dollars. They should have put a lot more into it. I'm looking forward to the renovations though. For the most part, I like what I hear of what's going to happen. It'll cost about 1.1 billion dollars, which is almost twice the amount it took to build the park in the first place! So hopefully this will fix the slightly troubled park.They seem to be making it feel more "Disney", and I like the idea of making the entrance like 1920s L.A. It'll be like a 1920s L.A. version of mainstreet with the cable cars that they'll have running up and down the street. I'm not so sure that "Cars Land" is a good idea. It's good that they're adding more land, but an entire area devoted to one movie? not sure I like that idea, but it's good that they'll be adding many more rides.

I also hear that it's possible that they're going to add a third theme park. DLR now has enough area to build another theme park. I guess they bought 88 acres of strawberry fields a while ago right by the park. But after DCA didn't do as well as Disney thought it would do Disney is putting off a third theme park I've heard. I really hope to see them build a third theme park sometime though. I would also really like to see a version of Epcot here in California.

I've never been to WDW, but will probably go someday. From what I hear both DLR and WDW have their pros and cons. I'd like to go to compare the two resorts myself.

Like many others, the two resort complexes give off a different vibe. While WDW has the whole complete immersion in all things Disney experience, one of the perhaps unappreciated beauties of Disneyland is how you can drive through the madness and stress that is L.A. rush hour traffic and then see all the stress wash away as soon as you step through the main gates to Disneyland.

Here are a few of my observations about Disneyland and WDW. While WDW is bigger, it is also much more spread out. I read once that between the 4 parks, WDW offered 72 attractions to the 63 attractions offered at the DLR. That tells me that Disneyland really knows how to use what space it does have.

Second, I believe that Disneyland's charm comes from the fact that it is smaller. WDW's Main Street has taller buildings which seem out of scale to Main Street(due in large part I believe to the tremendous size of the castle).

On my last visit to WDW, they used the Emporium windows to hawk just about anything you could buy in the Emporium. At Disneyland, some of the windows for the Emporium are modeled after what you would see in a turn of the 20th century store. Others featured the beautifully elaborate window displays used by Disney over the years to showcase upcoming animated films, both brand new and re-releases of the classics. While DL does advertise merchandise from some of it's windows, it's a very different experience to see a handful of merchandise surrounded by an elaborate display as opposed to the display feauturing only merchandise.

I also wonder if part of Disneyland's charm comes from the very reason why Sleeping Beauty Castle is so small. Walt himself did not it to be a large and intimidating building because in castle times, those buildings were used to intimidate the lower classes. Now, please don't misunderstand this to be a knock on Cinderella Castle or the MK. It's just that Walt Disney was personally involved with every single detail and even the day to day operations of Disneyland(he even had Space Mountain mapped out before his death in 1966, though the ride itself opened in 1977). Disneyland has Walt's personal touch.

The original factor comes into play because it's been my experience that the original attraction is quite often also the best. And since Disneyland is the first park, it obviously has the most original(as in build there first) attractions, especially with Fantasyland and POTC, HM.

I just returned yesterday from my first trip ever to Disneyland. I had previously been to Walt Disney World 8 times between 1988 and 2000 because my Grandparents lived in Tampa, FL.

DL was incredible. It felt much more like home in the Magic Kingdom here as opposed to the LONG walks in the blaring sun of WDW without Walt's footprints. We loved New Orleans Square and had delicious steak gumbo bread bowls right after our ride on a better Pirates of the Caribbean with more drop-offs that went through the Blue Bayou restaurant.

We were thrilled to see Mr. Toad again and also enjoyed the new Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage ride that was worth the 60 minute no Fast Pass wait. The original Fantasmic show was amazing. Overall, the feel of Fantasyland was better as well.

Bad things about DL Magic Kingdom compared to WDW: Though it was very easy to interact with characters at Mickey's Toontown, there were absolutely no trees over there. It seemed like Michael Eisner made a conscious decision to avoid trees to force patrons to leave Toontown and spend money getting thirsty from walking more through the other parks.

And the worst offense was this year's Disneyland budget. There was paint that wasn't looking at all magical (gasp!) on certain rides and trash in the trash cans which were almost always empty at WDW from being constantly taken out. It was very clear that Walt would have been so beyond offended. What is happening is that the huge amounts of money from the Magic Kingdom is being funneled to replenish the offensive California Adventure "restoration" project.

And about California Adventure.....we were saddened. I mean that. The area near California Screamin' and Toy Story that looks like a low-rate Atlantic City/Coney Island carnival pier, is SO NOT what Walt would have wanted. What should have happened is that TPTB should have focused on Pixar completely over there and made rides based on that alone. Get rid of the roller coaster Screamin' feel, and keep the Bugs Life area. And then make a similar Toy Story area, a Cars Themed area, a Monsters Inc area. Throw in some adult rides. Keep Soarin' that was just Awesome! And my son loved the Grizzly Rapid Run ride. The new Toy Story ride was well worth it.

Here's the main problem: Michael Eisner thought he could do California Adventure cheaply and make money. Wrong dear, you clearly aren't Walt. And we are NOT fooled despite your best efforts.

There are NO trees in CA, which means that we spent A LOT of time at shows like Aladdin, Bugs Life in 3-D, and the Muppets in 3-D to beat the heat.

We loved the Palm trees, but it's time to invest in some shade trees if you want families with little kids to sweat it out.

I will always love WDW since the magic started for me there. You could do Typhoon Lagoon and Busch Gardens back then, and we also loved the magic of Fort Wilderness and the activities it offered.

At DL, we stayed at Days Inn Disneyland at the Park which shuttled us in. It wasn't quite the package we had at WDW or the overall experience. But, I prefer the DL Magic Kingdom.

We also had cheaper plane tickets to LAX from Austin, TX. I liked that I could buy more souvenirs and hit the beaches, Universal Studios, Knotts Berry Farm, and visit Hollywood, because I had money left over after 3 days instead of the 5 it would have taken at WDW.

I missed Epcot while at DL and would have loved the Animal Kingdom being added instead of California Adventure, which is a COLOSSAL mistake that I just don't see improving, even with the so-called more Disney-like rides they want to add.

I think the old addage is still true. If you have the time and the extra cash, go to WDW. But, if you happen to be heading to California for other reasons or you have just a few days, a stop to the DL Magic Kingdom is SO worth it.

I'm already thinking about my next trip to WDW. I'm not looking forward to the heat, humidity, or the crowds. What I hate the most are the snottier families at WDW that are rude and extremely wealthy, with kids dressed up in character and crying because that polyester Tinkerbell uniform isn't very comfy for a ride on Space Mountain. DL seemed to have a lot fewer of those.

But, I am looking forward to the 4 parks and the overall experience. The Honey I shrunk the Kids playscape and heck, even the Golden Girls' house. What DL Magic Kingdom has in Walt's class, the overall WDW experience has in style.

walt didn't want a boardwalk park because it was so common at the time. they are a part of the pacific coast culture, and since DCA is a celebration of California, it makes sense that they could have a part of a park (not a whole park) themed as a romantic boardwalk. and toy story mania fits perfectly there, not like in florida where its so out of place. and clearly disney wouldn't make a park devoted only to pixar. i definitely think DCA is redeeming itself and could potentially become a full day park with car's land and the new rides. and the 1920 LA entrance will be icing on the cake

Ive been to both and yes, i agree that it makes one somewhat bias for their home one. I lived in florida for 3 years as a kid(3-5 grade) and 4 years as a teenager(all high school) and am going to college here currently. So obviously, ive been to disney world TONS. when it was the end of 5th grade and i moved out of florida, i remember missing WDW SOOOO bad! i moved to oregon btw. so of course in oregon, we decided since we need our disney kick that we should go to DL. it was great, but for me i think i prefer WDW. some of you say how WDW seems like it needs to much planning around it and that at DL you can just go there for a day and know everything and when to ride and what rides to ride etc, etc. But for me thats how i am at WDW. i know that place like its my house or something! i know the perfect months to go and what rides are going to be crowded when and how to get from one park to another by walking (besides Magic Kingdom).
Now based on all that, i still really enjoyed DL. It seems like WDW and DL would be so similar but they really arent! I love them both, but WDW is just like a home to me. I really missed eating the delicious meals they have at Epcot while i was at DL, but still its a totally different experience. I really liked it because it was the first Disney theme park and so that was really exciting. also i loved space mountain. I loved DL, i just was comparing it to WDW which i knew so well, that it made me not like DL as much as WDW, buuut i still loved DL. I really do. Both parks are great, and i think if you ever have the chance that you NEED to go to both of them! both have a totally different experience, both are fantastic, both make you happy (unless there is crowds of course :) ), and both are just a great fun time! so do try both if you have the chance, and you will all probably have a preference as to which you like better, thats why i hate that its so hard not to compare them when youve been to one so many times. Wish i didnt keep comparing DL to WDW while i was there because thats porbably why i enjoy WDW better. anyways, yeah they are both great i just prefer WDW a little more... :)

"-MGM Studios has the Tower of Terror and the Rock N' Roller Coaster, whereas California Adventure has the Tower of Terror, too, and California Screamin', (a roller coaster with a loop inside the shape of Mickey!).
-The Animal Kingdom has a rapid ride, but only has 1 drop; whereas in California Adventure the Grizzly Rapids has 2 drops and is much longer and more fun.

(Plus, when California Adventure is done being remodeled, it will be far, far, far superior)"

I understand that DL has some perks and so does WDW, but these really dont make DL THAT much better...
Tower of Terror at WDW i enjoyed a bit more than the one at DL, but the one at DL is great, too. But as for California screamin vs Rock N' Roller Coaster- Rock N' Roller Coaster is far far faaaaaar better! The whole experience of it is great really. the whole ride its blasting the fast pace aerosmith music and before the ride theres the count down with steven tyler screaming "5, 4, 3, 2, 1!" ride in the speakers by your ears, its just great. California has the cool loop, but really Rock N' Roller Coaster is much greater overall than that one..

" 4| Disneyland is more convenient -- Everything is walking distance at the Disneyland Resort. Once you are on the park grounds you can walk to and from all three areas (Disneyland, California Adventure and Downtown Disney) in only a few minutes. At Disney World you must wait for a bus to go to any other areas, ride the bus for 20 or so minutes, and then finally reach your destination (makes things stressful and not as magical). I don't want to ride a bus in my happy place! "

I agree, that Disneyland is easy to walk around, that part really is great! But for Disney World, its not like you NEED to get a bus. Theres a path that leads From Epcot to MGM (vise versa) and the walk is beautiful. Of course, it is a bit of a walk and my family is very active, more than the average american family so some would prefer the bus/car. Also, there is a path to go to Animal Kingdom, too. The only one that you cant walk to is Magic Kingdom. You take the monorail there, which sometimes can be quite annoying but once you are on the monorail and not waiting in line, its great. You just get so excited especially once you see the castle and all the other attractions from the window, the anticipation is great.

" 5| Disneyland is the original -- To put it simply, Disneyland has a charm and feel Disney World doesn't have, in my opinion. "

Disneyland has a great magic feel, i agree. It is the original so that part is great and hard to beat!
But Disney World has the charm and magical feeling too, just not if in your mind you're comparing it to DL or thinking about how its not the original. I remember when i first moved back from oregon to Florida, it was my first time back to WDW in YEARS, and i was walking from MGM to Epcot, and i had just ridden the Tower of Terror and Rock N' Roller Coaster, and i had the greatest feeling in the world. It was all so magical. And then when i went back to Magic Kingdom and I saw the castle i was soo happy. It was like home, and it was so magical and it really felt like "the happiest place on earth", as they say. When you have the right mind set it really has just as much charm and magic as DL does.

Now, i know i may sound like im trying to argue, im really not, it's just both parks are great, and if you really think about it, not all of those "negatives" of WDW are negatives at all... :) good day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter