Disney's ALL-STAR SPORTS RESORT Information & Questions

I'm looking to possibly stay here next May 2024. It would be Sunday - Tuesday, May 26-28 (Memorial Day is Monday). A busy weekend I know. I see on the ESPN World Wide Sports calendar that there is a Disney Memorial Day Soccer Tournament that weekend.
Anyone have experience with this and was ASSp full of soccer kids and families? Is it on the scale of cheer teams?
We previously stayed at ASMu and loved it, we were just thinking of trying something different this time, but if it isn't a good week to try it, we'll return to ASMu.

I'm looking to possibly stay here next May 2024. It would be Sunday - Tuesday, May 26-28 (Memorial Day is Monday). A busy weekend I know. I see on the ESPN World Wide Sports calendar that there is a Disney Memorial Day Soccer Tournament that weekend.
Anyone have experience with this and was ASSp full of soccer kids and families? Is it on the scale of cheer teams?
We previously stayed at ASMu and loved it, we were just thinking of trying something different this time, but if it isn't a good week to try it, we'll return to ASMu.
I've never heard of this event, and I was hoping someone better equipped to answer you would by now. My opinion might not be very helpful but felt bad no one has chimed in. We used to stay during Memorial more, and it's been at least a few years since we have. In general I feel that people expect Memorial to be crazy busy. And the weekend will be more crowded than normal weekends, but to me not always as bad as you'd expect, especially if you're used to going near Christmas and Easter like we are.

I've never been deterred to stay at Sports for any of the cheer/dance competitions either. But that is partly because seeing those teams doesn't bother me. I'm sensitive to increased crowds at the Parks but in terms of fearing congestion at the Resort for buses, café, pools - we leave super early and stay out late, and don't spend time at the resort. But even the bigger of these events such as Pop Warner and various championships deter some - I barely noticed they were going on.

I've never heard of this event, and I was hoping someone better equipped to answer you would by now. My opinion might not be very helpful but felt bad no one has chimed in. We used to stay during Memorial more, and it's been at least a few years since we have. In general I feel that people expect Memorial to be crazy busy. And the weekend will be more crowded than normal weekends, but to me not always as bad as you'd expect, especially if you're used to going near Christmas and Easter like we are.

I've never been deterred to stay at Sports for any of the cheer/dance competitions either. But that is partly because seeing those teams doesn't bother me. I'm sensitive to increased crowds at the Parks but in terms of fearing congestion at the Resort for buses, café, pools - we leave super early and stay out late, and don't spend time at the resort. But even the bigger of these events such as Pop Warner and various championships deter some - I barely noticed they were going on.

Thank you for replying! I have so many months to plan so was just getting some options and ideas. It's hard to judge how affected by crowds we may be. We went during Spring Break in 2022 (hot, busy, Disney was manageable, Universal was a total nightmare), and then Jan/Feb 2023 (totally smooth sailing!). On the last trip we tried to "do it all" and accomplished so much, so for this trip, I don't feel that pressure to go non stop. So, some holiday crowds won't ruin our time.

Thanks for the tips and ideas!

Thank you for replying! I have so many months to plan so was just getting some options and ideas. It's hard to judge how affected by crowds we may be. We went during Spring Break in 2022 (hot, busy, Disney was manageable, Universal was a total nightmare), and then Jan/Feb 2023 (totally smooth sailing!). On the last trip we tried to "do it all" and accomplished so much, so for this trip, I don't feel that pressure to go non stop. So, some holiday crowds won't ruin our time.

Thanks for the tips and ideas!
Similarly - our next trip isn't until next Aug., at Sports (bounce-back offer), but we won't really do much planning given it's at least the 11th consecutive Aug/Sept trip, lower crowds... the nervousness is more centered on the heat/rain for the infant, which we've weathered once this past Sept. More attention is to the trip after that one that will involve me planning for 10 people, 5 essentially 1st timers, Disney road races which none of us have done. We don't quite know which of the 4 calendar periods yet between marathon wknd, half princess, the April races, and early Nov wine and dine. I just know that I don't want to spend 9 hrs. waiting around for my mom in law to finish a full marathon, and have 4 more races for the Dopey. I know you have to book nearly a year early. And it could be $800/person for Dopey's Challenge by 2025. I'm exaggerating but with tax, increases, and merch., maybe.

UT has 9/10 crowds for Sat-Mon and 8 for Fri and Tue. 6 leading up to the wknd and 8 after Tue. Feel like 9 is a bit extreme given the lower census that we're experiencing this year... This is almost rated for when the 24 hour event was still going on. People there for more than just that wknd would benefit from kids mostly not out of school until 6/1. I think. When we go in May now, we target late April / early May after all of the spring breaks, not quite as hot as summer, Flower Garden. But it's all about expectations for us. While we tend to go in Aug/Sept for the lower crowds, we also go for Christmas/New Yrs., but we expect the crowds and temper expectations. We're just happy to be there, off of work on holiday, and we also know that we go often enough.

I think most of our stays are now at Sports with occasional ultra cheap motels on volume stays. Somewhere around 30x at Sports. Whereas it used to be Sports/Pop when Pop's pricing disparity isn't how it is now. With maybe only a dozen-ish times at Music and maybe like 3x at Movies. I prefer Movies' theming, but like Sports' bus position. And I dislike Music's narrow layout. We always get the room in the very back.

Now that Blizzard Beach is open again, can anyone who is there confirm the transportation route?

Any reason not to switch to AS Sports Preferred from AS Music Preferred? I’m only staying 1 night to save some money, I’ll save about $17 switching, so not a big deal but that’s basically a free cocktail at Disney prices so I’ll take it 😝 But, I’m not familiar with the differences between these resorts beyond decor and don’t want to accidentally shoot myself in the foot over $17.

Any reason not to switch to AS Sports Preferred from AS Music Preferred? I’m only staying 1 night to save some money, I’ll save about $17 switching, so not a big deal but that’s basically a free cocktail at Disney prices so I’ll take it 😝 But, I’m not familiar with the differences between these resorts beyond decor and don’t want to accidentally shoot myself in the foot over $17.
Not that I can think of!

When I was at Sports last vacation (Sept '23) Construction/refurb was going strong throughout Building 1 (surf's up) - can anyone verify if it's ongoing? (you'd see the signs and small gates to the right of the pool & stadium hall..

My sister did these soccer tournaments and ones during winter break for YEARS!! Not all the games are at ESPN, there are just too many. They played at fields around Disney and for sure the final games were at ESPN. Not one trip did they stay on Disney property. Their team usually booked a group rate offsite and I know a couple years it was a Hilton. My sister's family never went to the parks, there just wasn't time with all the games to buy ticket and get monies worth.

They are offering Allstar Sports and CSR, 2 Disney Springs hotels, 2 Gateway Hotels and 6 Good Neighbor hotels. And teams can book their own hotels. My guess is most will not be at the Disney hotels.

When I was at Sports last vacation (Sept '23) Construction/refurb was going strong throughout Building 1 (surf's up) - can anyone verify if it's ongoing? (you'd see the signs and small gates to the right of the pool & stadium hall..
I don't recall seeing any construction when we were there in June. But we stayed in Touchdown bldg 7.

The Renovation thread indicates Bldg 1 still in progress -> https://www.disboards.com/threads/all-star-sports-renovations.3764454/

We are scheduled to land Thanksgiving day at about 11:30am. I'm thinking about best way to get to the resort.
Family of 3, with 3 full sized (25") bags, and 3 carry on (20" wheely), and our back packs.

Time isn't much of a factor. We only have dinner reservations in Disney Springs about 4:30. Our son wants Pizza for "lunch" in the food court when we get there.

My concern is more the airport crowds and sitting around waiting for transportation. Do you think we'd be better off with Mears Connect, or Uber or Lyft?

My sister did these soccer tournaments and ones during winter break for YEARS!! Not all the games are at ESPN, there are just too many. They played at fields around Disney and for sure the final games were at ESPN. Not one trip did they stay on Disney property. Their team usually booked a group rate offsite and I know a couple years it was a Hilton. My sister's family never went to the parks, there just wasn't time with all the games to buy ticket and get monies worth.

They are offering Allstar Sports and CSR, 2 Disney Springs hotels, 2 Gateway Hotels and 6 Good Neighbor hotels. And teams can book their own hotels. My guess is most will not be at the Disney hotels.
Thank you very much!

Just booked a reservation for Jan 26-30, but now I'm second guessing if that was a good choice because of the possibility of cheer groups. My family and I stayed at a Disney Springs area resort last spring when a lot of cheerleaders were there, and their behavior, or more specifically their parents' behavior, totally ruined our experience. Does anyone know if it's likely that cheer groups will be staying here on those dates?

I have stayed in all three All Star resorts since the refurbishment, and the rooms inside are virtually identical, as are the amenities and transportation. I stay wherever I can get the best rate of the three. I am going back to Sports in January, based entirely on price.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter