Disney's ANIMAL KINGDOM LODGE Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
COscrapper, I did some looking around and found two blog articles that mention meeting at Boma at 4pm daily, no reservations taken - just show up. One blog post was from a few years ago, but listed (407) 938-3000 as the number to call to confirm the schedule. Both articles make the tour sound worth doing. My family loves learning about other cultures, so we'll have to add this to our trip schedule. Thanks for bringing it up!
Yes I really hope they do it on Saturdays, as I think that's the only day we will be at the resort at that time...

do you see a lot of the animals when you stay in the savanna view, ????? my daughter loves the animals and I want to surprise her with staying at her favorite resort, what kind of animals can we see from our room?:cutie:

Every day we saw giraffes, zebras, ostriches, different types of hooved animals (African cattle, antelope, etc.) and some very cool birds. There was almost always something out there, usually a group of somethings. It was great!

do you see a lot of the animals when you stay in the savanna view, ????? my daughter loves the animals and I want to surprise her with staying at her favorite resort, what kind of animals can we see from our room?:cutie:
Why yes, yes you should see lots of animals from a savanna view room. Many of the standard view rooms which cost less than savanna view have partial savanna views where people have reported seeing animals as well. The halls have wonderful windows which you can look out of as you walk to and from your room and spot animals as well (if I happen to spot a favorite I pause for awhile and watch) and there are viewing spots behind the lobby and by the pool for looking at the animals on Uzima savanna.
Which animals you see from your balcony depends on which savanna you are on and where you are on the savanna, but all 3 savannas visible from Jambo have giraffes and usually @ least a pair of zebras. Additionally you will see lots of other animals such as antelopes, Watusi cattle, Ostriches, water bocks, gazelles, red river hogs, elands, vultures, etc. etc. depending on which savanna a particular species is on. Plus there's occasionally native interloper species like ducks or rabbits.
The animals migrate through the savanna through out the day/night generally moving to where ever browse/food has been placed for them. They go into their barns every day for around an hour and a half, but other than that they are on the savanna 24/7. Thus they move around at night as well, although some seem to bed down in particular spots.

Does anyone know if you can get a kettle from housekeeping at Kidani? We rent DVC points and usually have a 2 bedroom villa but this year we have 2 studios, which only come with coffee makers and we drink tea (we are British). It's only for the first 5 days then we move onto a 2 bed at OKW for 11 days where we will have a cooker top to boil water on.

We arrive in 31 days!! Wondering whether to do online check in or not. I have put in my requests on the touring plan room thing. Also coming from the UK we have to go to the front desk to get our magic bands. Should I do online check in too?

TIA

We arrive in 31 days!! Wondering whether to do online check in or not. I have put in my requests on the touring plan room thing. Also coming from the UK we have to go to the front desk to get our magic bands. Should I do online check in too?

TIA

I'm not sure what other advantages online check in may offer you, but in the past there was a designated queue in the lobby for those who'd done online check in already. I'm not sure if AKL still has one (the last time I know for sure I saw one was August at Coronado Springs).

Just make sure if you elect to do the online check in that you do not select any room requests there - they may conflict with your touring plans requests and confuse the room assigner.

Hi! First off, I love DISboards, it's my first place I go when planning my Disney trips and I always refer friends/family here!

We were lucky enough to stay at AKL on our last visit and fell in love. We have a trip planned March 2017 and wanted to go back but unfortunately we couldn't it swing it financially. Then a friend of mine was nice enough to let us rent her DVC points so now we are booked at the AKL Kidani Village room type: Deluxe Studio - standard view. Last time we stayed at Jambo House and just loved the feel of it. I am hoping Kidani Village is the same. I do have a few questions though that I hope anyone who has stayed at Kidani Village or in the room type can answer.

Is it possible to get a Savannah view in one of these rooms? I was looking at the map and it looks like some face the Savannah and some don't. I thought I read in another thread it's luck of the draw. With that being said, when it comes time for on line check in should I request a view or location. My friend who rented me the points said to request a room near the elevator because the walk can be very long to the lobby in Kidani Village. I don't mind walking if I get a Savannah view but I don't even know if you can request a view. Any other info on Kidani Village would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!!

Officially decided on AKL for my one night August 18 pre-cruise stay that is kicking off my birthday celebration! :) I have a Value Studio standard view reserved - and a fax set up through TouringPlans for specific requests. But I'm excited regardless!! While I'm planning to go to Disney Springs for the day when I arrive, it will be nice to have the Studio to come "home" to at the end of the day. And I figure I'll try to get an early Boma ADR for breakfast. Mostly it'll be a nice place to chill waiting for the bus to Port Canaveral!! :)

Last edited:
I did online check in before I went, and walked up to the front desk, and they showed me rooms available on the map, and I chose the one I wanted.

I had booked savanna view

Right, if you do online check-in and Touring Plans, like I will do, make sure the request match up.

Yep! For sure!

Or is it better not to do requests with online check-in if you're doing the Touring Plans fax?

We decided to add one more night to our vacation and switch to another resort. So I just got off the phone with a very helpful and distinctly speaking (important for me as a non-native-speaker) CM to book one night at AKL. We chose standard view, because there will be not much balcony-time, but I guess there will be some great spots for spontaneous animal viewing within the resort

Although we are staying just for the night, we are looking forward to it. A reservation for Boma on Check-In day is already set :)

I need some help, not speficially concerning AKL, but with the dining plan. I think someone here can answer my question:

When checking out and switching to AKL we still have dining credits left. Can we use them all day with the "old" magic bands, even when we check into AKL (room only) in the meantime?

Never stayed AKL before and have a question. If we stay at the resort can we use the DVC pool as well as the main pool? I don't remember what the rule was at WL last time we stayed because we didn't swim too much. Just curious. Thanks!

Yep! For sure!

Or is it better not to do requests with online check-in if you're doing the Touring Plans fax?
I am going to do both.

My touring plans request- Kidani view, upper floor

My online check-in request will be just upper floor since they no longer offer the Kidani view on it. Surely that would not be too confusing?

I need some help, not speficially concerning AKL, but with the dining plan. I think someone here can answer my question:

When checking out and switching to AKL we still have dining credits left. Can we use them all day with the "old" magic bands, even when we check into AKL (room only) in the meantime?

You may use dining credits until midnight of your check out day for the stay that had the dining plan. If that is the same day you are checking in to AKL, then you are good. We have had great "standard" views at AKL so I hope you get one too!

I am going to do both.

My touring plans request- Kidani view, upper floor

My online check-in request will be just upper floor since they no longer offer the Kidani view on it. Surely that would not be too confusing?

Not trying to be discouraging, but Len Testa (the brains behind touring plans) has specifically said on multiple podcasts not to enter any room requests at all on Disney online check in if you are using the touring plans fax service. I think it is the "keep it simple" mindset.

Never stayed AKL before and have a question. If we stay at the resort can we use the DVC pool as well as the main pool? I don't remember what the rule was at WL last time we stayed because we didn't swim too much. Just curious. Thanks!

Technically No I think, but there's not going to be an issue..Unless it's changed ( in the last year or so ) which I don't believe it has, then there isn't anyone at the gate. Usually can just get right in.

Technically No I think, but there's not going to be an issue..Unless it's changed ( in the last year or so ) which I don't believe it has, then there isn't anyone at the gate. Usually can just get right in.
My understanding is that you can use both resorts' pools & I've done so - don't recall whether it was a cash or point stay, tho'. Also, if you go to the WDW website for AKL under the 'recreation' tab click on 'pools' & the the site advertises that you may use both pools. I personally prefer the larger pool at Jambo, but if I had children I'd spend time at Kidani's pool too as the splash area of the Kidani pool looks like great fun for kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter