Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge Resort Frequently Asked Questions (slight update 5/14)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So from what you are guessing there will still be constructionn going on from 9-5 even in August?

So from what you are guessing there will still be constructionn going on from 9-5 even in August?

Your guess as good as mine. However, the CM's are pretty up front when you check in about the construction noise. Perhaps they can forewarn you as to what trails NOT to stay in. As far as I could see, there was plastic covering the sliders on the sixth floor. But I know there must be parts that are still dedicated to current concierge guests on that floor. As your time gets closer, I would call AKL directly and talk to them.

If the current concierge rooms are the ones being renovated for DVC, where will concierge rooms now be located? Do you think they'll move the concierge lounge?

If the current concierge rooms are the ones being renovated for DVC, where will concierge rooms now be located? Do you think they'll move the concierge lounge?

I am not sure what will happen. It is my belief that they will keep the 6th floor the concierge level and share it with DVC, except DVC won't have access to K Club. It makes sense because of the passcode system in the elevators. Not sure if they will move K Club, but it's kind of in a perfect spot now. So, I doubt they'll move it. I am just speculating. Actually, I am clueless. :rolleyes: :confused:

From what I have read on the Boards, the Concierge Lounge will remain on the 6th floor. Standard Concierge Rooms (standard size, not standard view) are located on the 4th floor. These rooms are savannah view.

I am not sure what will happen. It is my belief that they will keep the 6th floor the concierge level and share it with DVC, except DVC won't have access to K Club. It makes sense because of the passcode system in the elevators. Not sure if they will move K Club, but it's kind of in a perfect spot now. So, I doubt they'll move it. I am just speculating. Actually, I am clueless. :rolleyes: :confused:

There is a "concierge" level booking with the new AKV DVC. The 6th floor will remain concierge, the lounge will stay there (though it will be operated by DVC, not AKL as it is currently..AKL will pay DVC a fee for it's guests to continue to use the lounge). The 6th floor converted DVC rooms will be the DVC AKV concierge rooms. AKL's concierge rooms will move to the 4th floor, now be standard size, rather than deluxe, and will continue to have full access to the 6th floor concierge lounge.

AKL's concierge rooms will move to the 4th floor, now be standard size, rather than deluxe, and will continue to have full access to the 6th floor concierge lounge.

Thanks! That's exactly what I was wondering!

Thanks! That's exactly what I was wondering!

Let me also add that, from the sounds of things, ALL AKL standard concierge rooms will be savannah view. Before, with the deluxe rooms, it was savannah or pool, and you didn't know which you were going to get (couldn't book one or the other...just roll the dice).

subby...This whole construction has me nervous too. It's always been a dream of mine since I was a little girl to stay at AKL savannah view. So I finally decided to book it. I'm not so concerned about the noise because I plan on being in the parks from 9-5, but I am concerned about the view. I don't want my first views of the AKL to be of men wearing hardhats, if I wanted to see that, I would of just decided to stay home in philly :rotfl:

subby...This whole construction has me nervous too. It's always been a dream of mine since I was a little girl to stay at AKL savannah view. So I finally decided to book it. I'm not so concerned about the noise because I plan on being in the parks from 9-5, but I am concerned about the view. I don't want my first views of the AKL to be of men wearing hardhats, if I wanted to see that, I would of just decided to stay home in philly :rotfl:

I've said this in other threads (so am just transplanting it)...if it's somewhere in THIS thread, forgive the double posting of it:

Here's a list of the construction that will/is occuring at AKL:

1) Buidling a new Animal Enclosure (aka barn) at the end of Kudo trail. That can be seen by guests, and, apparently, is both noisy (from recent reports) and obvious. That being said, I can't imagine it won't be finished LONG before December...and the only rooms really being affected would be a small subset at the very end of Kudo trail.

2) Interior conversion of 5th and 6th floor rooms into DVC villas. This will not effect anyone's "views" since all the construction is interior. You might HEAR them (depending on where they're currently working) between 9 AM and 5 PM, but I can't see how your view would be impacted. MOST of the conversion is slated to be done, or just finishing, around December of this year. The only thing left SHOULD be the conversion of the rooms around the lobby area and the concierge rooms. [Edit: Bensmom said the construction noise was pretty obvious a few days ago, and going on right overhead or next door (can't remember which)...but others a bit "further from the action report hearing nothing during a stay at roughly the same time]

3) The construction of the new Kidani village building. It's being built on the Sunset Savannah side of the resort, but MOST of the construction is a fair bit from the main lodge, across the savannah. You may see, in addition to the savannah view you have, the vertical construction, but I doubt it will eliminate your view all together. I also doubt MOST of the lodge will hear the construction going on...The current "guess" is the building will start construction sometime either late this year or early next, since the phases are not slated to open until sometime in '09.

There is a "concierge" level booking with the new AKV DVC. The 6th floor will remain concierge, the lounge will stay there (though it will be operated by DVC, not AKL as it is currently..AKL will pay DVC a fee for it's guests to continue to use the lounge). The 6th floor converted DVC rooms will be the DVC AKV concierge rooms. AKL's concierge rooms will move to the 4th floor, now be standard size, rather than deluxe, and will continue to have full access to the 6th floor concierge lounge.

Are all club lounges with DVC managed by DVC? I'm not even sure what the difference is, is DVC a seperate entity from Disney? I've heard such great things about the AKL concierge service, I hope that won't change with the switch in management.

We have reservations booked for early December. I'm not familiar with how the DVC system works for non members - do we book through the regular website, or is there another contact? It sounds like the renovation should be complete by then (judging from Pilferk's schedule), so when do they actually start booking the rooms? I'd love to try to book a deluxe room.

I plan to stay in the akl concierge level this thanksgiving. With the concierge lounge located on the 6th floor and since DVC is located there also, do we "share" the lounge with the DVC members or is the lounge separate from DVC? Thanks.

I plan to stay in the akl concierge level this thanksgiving. With the concierge lounge located on the 6th floor and since DVC is located there also, do we "share" the lounge with the DVC members or is the lounge separate from DVC? Thanks.

you will share the lounge with DVC members who are staying on the 6th floor only. They are the only DVC rooms that will have access to the lounge.

Are all club lounges with DVC managed by DVC? I'm not even sure what the difference is, is DVC a seperate entity from Disney? I've heard such great things about the AKL concierge service, I hope that won't change with the switch in management.

We have reservations booked for early December. I'm not familiar with how the DVC system works for non members - do we book through the regular website, or is there another contact? It sounds like the renovation should be complete by then (judging from Pilferk's schedule), so when do they actually start booking the rooms? I'd love to try to book a deluxe room.

DVC = Disney Vacation Club. This will be the first (and only, so far) concierge lounge managed by DVC. They're not a seperate entity from Disney, just another unit/division within the company.

I asked about changes and was told that it should be the same staff...so long as they agreed to be transferred over to working for DVC.

You'll book AKL concierge through CRO (Disney reservations) as you normally would. Ditto if you want to book one of the new DVC rooms for cash (though DVC concierge rooms will be few and far between...there's only going to be 5 2 BR lockoffs....which can be broken down into 5 1 BR suites and 5 Studios.) All the management/fee stuff will go on behind the scenes on Disney's balance sheets. Guests shouldn't see any difference at all, either in the process of making reservations or in the services offered, other than their concierge rooms will now be on the 4th floor.

Well, at Thanksgiving, it will only be AKL guests using the lounge. Keep in mind, the lounge WON'T be for all DVC members staying at AKL/AKV. It will only be for those staying in the "concierge" booking class (which will be a VERY limited number). The thing is....DVC isn't slated to open up the concierge rooms until May of '08. I'm assuming THAT'S when DVC will "take possession" of the lounge, too, and start running it.

I was actually considering upgrading our June reservation to conceirge but when a friend of mine tries to book concierge for June via the Disney website it says there is no availability. I wonder if I will still be able to upgrade at check-in or if all concierge rooms are really sold out for my upcoming stay. I guess there will be fewer concierge rooms to reserve with all of this AKV construction going on.

I was actually considering upgrading our June reservation to conceirge but when a friend of mine tries to book concierge for June via the Disney website it says there is no availability. I wonder if I will still be able to upgrade at check-in or if all concierge rooms are really sold out for my upcoming stay. I guess there will be fewer concierge rooms to reserve with all of this AKV construction going on.

During the construction, maybe. I'm not sure if they've implemented the "one to one" trade out yet.

But after the construction is complete there were supposed to be as many AKL concierge rooms as there were BEFORE the construction/conversion began. That's the way the declaration from DVC makes it sound, anyway.

Hi everybody,
I currently have a BI reservation but would quite like to change to AKL, the construction noise is not a factor for me, I will be in the parks anyway:goodvibes My main concerns are:

transportation- do you feel neglected staying at AKL for transportation? Is it a really long journey to the other parks apart from AKL? Did you experience long waits?

view: there are only bunkbed savannah rooms, not regular savannah, which leaves me pool view or standard. Is the pool view worth the extra? Will i really only be looking at the parking lot or are they pretty good about upgrades? Any opinions on this?

Thanks for any help you can give me :grouphug:

Transportation wise it's great!! We never had to wait for a bus . Coming back from the parks we would be the only ones w/o a line around the corner. We never had to stand on a bus either! It was the best bus experience we ever had. The rides weren't long either.

You can't use a bunkbed room? How many are there in your party?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter