Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge Resort Frequently Asked Questions (slight update 5/14)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a million questions. We are currently booked at WL but can't get an additional day at the front of our stay. AKL has always been my first choice but DS (12) had resort pick this time and chose WL. I can get all nights at AKL with free dining. My first question, how long is the bus ride to each park? We have one full day and one half day at Epcot, MK and MGM and one full day only at AK. We also have one day at each of the water parks. I'm trying to figure out if changing to AK will mean changing ADR's and longer trips to all parks vs. WL and the boat to MK and use of CR monorail system. Also, we would book a standard view, which is best. Someone tell me that my children will not be upset if we change from WL. Are the CM friendly? I keep hearing that WL has very friendly CM but I don't hear much about AKL. I'd love it if they were from different countries in Africa so that we could hear about the different cultures and crafts and things. Do they do that sort of thing at AKL? I hear about story tellers, are they different every night? (I told you, I have a lot of queestions). I am seriously thinking of changing resorts and would love any information I can get.

Thanks to anyone who can tell me anything at all (even if you think I should keep my WL reservations).

Looking for Help!

the transporation is really good at AK, in fact that would be one of the better things about the place. 3 mins to AK, 15to Epcot, 20-25 to MK. I never had to wait on a bus, there were always there. I just don't care for AKL and won't return. Love..love ..love WL, it is a magical place. and makes being at WDW even better.

Frankly, the transportation at WL was our biggest disappointment with the resort. Always having to go to the Grand Floridian or the campground before getting to the parks took an eternity. The buses at AKL were not a problem at all. Always available at the parks, and very short waits at the resort. It's our favorite place to stay.

Has anyone ever received a free upgrade to concierge level from Savannah view at AKL? Just wondering what my chances are!

Yes, we have. We got there, and they did not guaranty non-smoking, and no more non-smoking rooms, so they upgraded us to the big "C." Although moot point after June 1st. Good luck.

the transporation is really good at AK, in fact that would be one of the better things about the place. 3 mins to AK, 15to Epcot, 20-25 to MK. I never had to wait on a bus, there were always there. I just don't care for AKL and won't return. Love..love ..love WL, it is a magical place. and makes being at WDW even better.

What didn't you like about AKL? Tell me about the magic at WL that was missing at AKL? Glad the busses are not a problem. Thank you everyone for the information.

What didn't you like about AKL? Tell me about the magic at WL that was missing at AKL? Glad the busses are not a problem. Thank you everyone for the information.

I might be able to help out here. We did a split stay last time starting with the WL. I moped, whined and pouted for the first couple of days we were at AKL. It just did not feel the same. Perhaps it was because we could see the MK in the distance or the water parade while at the WL. And the WL has the best bar out of the hotels in MHO. Whereas at the AKL we were in another place. DH pointed out we could see the MGM water tower from our room, but that did not matter.

BUT - after those couple of days, something happened, not sure what, and I fell in LOVE with AKL and am now making DH crazy because I want to go back and stay there again. Not sure what happened, but it just grew on me.

We'd like to go to DTD one night. It will be a Saturday night, not sure if that makes a difference. Would it be a better idea to take a taxi there, or is it a pretty easy bus ride? And if so, does anyone have any idea how much the fare would be? TIA!

We'd like to go to DTD one night. It will be a Saturday night, not sure if that makes a difference. Would it be a better idea to take a taxi there, or is it a pretty easy bus ride? And if so, does anyone have any idea how much the fare would be? TIA!

Taxi is instant gratification. Bus, well, it's a tour of duty. The fare will run you about $15-18 without the tip. No more than that. Are you bringing kids? If so, I would bus it there and then taxi it back. It's usually a late night if you go to DTD, and it's far better to pile into a cab and get right back to the Lodge. Parking, especially on weekends, is tough, so if you're renting a car and are considering driving, just keep that in mind.

Thanks for the information, BensMom. It's 4 of us, 2 kids. I think you're right, going out will be no problem, we can allow enough travel time to get out there. I'm always exhausted at the end of the night, so a crowded bus ride back isn't all that appealing.
I'm assuming even on a Saturday night an hour is enough to allow to get to DTD?

AKL Someone tell me that my children will not be upset if we change from WL. Are the CM friendly? I keep hearing that WL has very friendly CM but I don't hear much about AKL. I'd love it if they were from different countries in Africa so that we could hear about the different cultures and crafts and things. Do they do that sort of thing at AKL? I hear about story tellers, are they different every night?
Looking for Help!

We have enjoyed WL, but AKL is our new favorite. Why? Children's activities throughout the day everyday. They have "bead" activities. Every event they attend they receive a bead. Activities include Animal tracking, music, flamingo/pelican feeding, and more. Non bead activities include "night vision" goggles, cookie decorating, pool games, evening story tellers, parades around the lobby...and these are all free of charge. There are other activities such as African doll making, T-shirt decorating, etc where there is a fee.

African CM's...a highlight for DD. They are from various African nations, and are wonderful! They enjoy telling guests about their homelands. They passed out cards describing their home countries.

Transportation shouldn't be a concern since AKL has non stop bus service to all parks (doesn't share with any other resort).

AKL is a great place for children...and adults, too!

We have enjoyed WL, but AKL is our new favorite. Why? Children's activities throughout the day everyday. They have "bead" activities. Every event they attend they receive a bead. Activities include Animal tracking, music, flamingo/pelican feeding, and more. Non bead activities include "night vision" goggles, cookie decorating, pool games, evening story tellers, parades around the lobby...and these are all free of charge. There are other activities such as African doll making, T-shirt decorating, etc where there is a fee.

African CM's...a highlight for DD. They are from various African nations, and are wonderful! They enjoy telling guests about their homelands. They passed out cards describing their home countries.

Transportation shouldn't be a concern since AKL has non stop bus service to all parks (doesn't share with any other resort).

AKL is a great place for children...and adults, too!

:thumbsup2 Just what I needed to hear. Sounds very much like what I am looking for. My DH says next trip but I may be able to change his mind with posts like this. Thank you.

My DD13 and I stayed at AKL May 5-7. It is our new favorite! We loved the room (we had pool view, Zebra Trail, Room 2452), the pool, the animals and the Mara. (We did eat at Jiko and it was just eh.)

As far as construction, all was quiet until Monday at 9 a.m. Then BZZZZT - the drills started - and the hammering - BAM, BAM, BAM! We could hardly hear the TV. Thank goodness we were leaving fairly early that morning for the airport. The construction was on the 5th floor, but it sounded like it was right next door or in the room directly above us.

We hope to go back in August for free dining, and hope to get a noise-free room.:goodvibes

Well thanks to this thread I have changed my BI ressie to AKL:woohoo: Staying 8/23 to 8/29 with a pool view, I'm sure I can handle a little (or a lot!) of noise if need be. So excited,

Well thanks to this thread I have changed my BI ressie to AKL:woohoo: Staying 8/23 to 8/29 with a pool view, I'm sure I can handle a little (or a lot!) of noise if need be. So excited,

OMG Claire - have you broken the news to the others yet ;) BTW, I am not stalking you - honest :rotfl2:

I would like to add a remark about the construction as we just returned home yesterday from AKL. Our room was in the Ostrich Trail section and I had considered switching to SSR prior to our trip because I was so concerned about the construction. I must say we heard NOTHING at all "construction-wise" anywhere in our area...nothing!! We did hear the drilling in the Kudo Trail wing when we were walking around the resort (no noise at the pool though). The bellhop told me it was slow there due to the construction as they have a lot of vacant rooms due to the construction.

BUT, one night we did have to deal with a car alarm until 3 am which was probably the only low-light of the trip. We ended up being comped for that night as it was just terrible. We had a standard room right under the handicapped lot and this van right under our room had an alarm that went off every 15 minutes for about a minute each time (you'd fall asleep and then be woken up every 15 minutes!) This went on half the night, even after 2 calls to the front desk (and a visit down there at 1:20 am as well!)--we were not pleased as they could have easily called these people sooner and let them know. But, when I told them there was no way I was paying for that night they totally agreed. So, they were very cooperative that way...(just could have been taken care sooner since the guest did have their name displayed in the windshield-if I could have seen it I would have called them myself!!)

I am thinking of upgrading to CL, mainly for the sunrise safari, what days do they have it.

Thank you

I know this is probably addressed somewhere in this thread but I need to know so I can make my reservation. What is the Disney's Animal Kingdom Villas? Is it a part of the AKL? I see that it is part of the DVC resort. Do they non members stay there? They have an interesting offer--a Jambo Studo Standard View--for $1400 less than staying in the AKL. Is this a good thing?:confused3 Thanks in advance for your advice.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter