Disney's Cinemagine Park (DHS Name Change)

Yo

You're forgetting Great Movie Ride.
Right .. it is currently closed and transforming into Mickey's Railway .. so a wash.

But .. overall .. the park is getting 4 net new "ride" attractions (I never counted Backlot Tour as a "ride" .. it was really just a tour with a part you get in a vehicle (as the name implied).

It was altered several times and shortened each time. This wiki does a decent job of explaining the iterations and causes:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Studio_Backlot_Tour

Ya .. I think the park's "making of movies" theme was great for maybe about 10 years. The problem is a movie studio tour is filled with a lot of one and done attractions. The Backlot Tour was very memorable to me as well, but after doing it once it really was a long, boring attraction with all the surprises gone and with nothing new to see. The sound effects show (which is now just a re-used theatre) and Streets of America were cool the fist time, but after that .. the Streets was this big empty space for a photo op.

While all that was fun in the late 80s and early 90s, it is easy to understand why the park is getting a makeover (probably about 5-10 years too late). Universal Studios figured it out way a bit sooner that the "theme park movie studio" idea was dead and moved away from those attractions way sooner. (Seeing how Jaws, Disaster, Twister and those attractions have been gone for years and replaced).

Disney tried to bandaid the park for years now with shows and parades and Star Wars launch bays. They are finally giving the park a makeover (and new name) it deserves (and some competition to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter.

It will be referred to as Disneys Star Wars park in the future. I will always call it MGM. Cinemagine doesnt have good feel about it.

I don't like "Cinemagine" either. It's just clunky. I still say leave it as Hollywood Studios or change to Hollywood Adventure. That creates some symmetry with California Adventure, and the parks do have some similarities, so that works.

Well they definitely need to ditch the Studios part.

The park won't (and hasn't for a long time) been a movie studio and slowly drifted away from the park being about movie making starting in the early 2000s. The only attraction that remains that is about the "making of movies" is the Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular. It's sad to see that theme go, but there is no "movie magic" anymore as most of it is done on computers. Hard to be impressed by that compared to when there was giant movie sets and facades you could look at.

A new name will give it a fresh feeling .. drawing people there that had given up on it being a "half day park" long ago.

Because, basically Disney created a whole new park right on top of the old one. Two giant new lands will make DHS have more attractions and be bigger than it ever was before (because, let's admit it .. Streets of America wasn't an attraction .. it was just a giant set piece that was cool to walk around, but took up a ton of real estate at the old park.
This is a really great post.

Yuck to Cinemagine...heck it's hard to type it much less let it roll off the tongue!

Cinemagic is what my brain goes to, so maybe that, but still not much better.

I think anything with Studios or Adventure is too similar to the Universal parks. How many times have you read stories of people being confused and wanting to know where Hogwarts was in DHS? My guess is Disney wants to distance itself as much as possible there.

Anyone have the list of other possible names that was on the survey?

Yuck to Cinemagine...heck it's hard to type it much less let it roll off the tongue!

Cinemagic is what my brain goes to, so maybe that, but still not much better.

I think anything with Studios or Adventure is too similar to the Universal parks. How many times have you read stories of people being confused and wanting to know where Hogwarts was in DHS? My guess is Disney wants to distance itself as much as possible there.

Anyone have the list of other possible names that was on the survey?

Disney Kaleidoscope Park, Disney Storyverse Park, Disney Hyperia Park, Disney Beyond Park, Disney Cinemagic Park, Disney Legends Park, Disney XL Park, and Disney Cinemagine Park.

Disney Kaleidoscope Park, Disney Storyverse Park, Disney Hyperia Park, Disney Beyond Park, Disney Cinemagic Park, Disney Legends Park, Disney XL Park, and Disney Cinemagine Park.

Ok, so yeah not a lot to pick from there. Cinemagic I guess would be my pick. XL and Beyond-sounds like it's trying to be a X games park or something. Legends-maybe the SW stuff is legendary. For some reason Kaleidoscope just brings the magic school bus to mind, lol.

What about Storytellers instead of Storyverse? Guess that's back to too much of how the movies are made and not being immersed in them.

Words like "Cinemagine" are called Portmanteaus and they appear everywhere in our lives.

I don't like Cinemagine because it just sounds weird. Not because it's "not a word".
This is exactly what I was going to say.

Portmanteaus are often and have been and always will be an important part of ever-changing languages.

However, the word cinemagine is not a musically beautifully word and seems quite awkward to my ear.

I’m in the Disney’s Hollywood Adventure camp. It fits better with the other park names. Kingdom. Kingdom. Community of Tomorrow. Adventure. Beach. Lagoon. All of these are nouns. Imagine is a verb and does not fit the parallel structure that flows so much more nicely. There are no verbs in the other park names.

I always liked Disney's Hollywoodland,I'm not too keen on Cinemagine park,I guess it's not the worst,maybe if they design a really,really cool looking logo and after several decades pass people will grow fond of the name.How about "Disney's Movies,Good times and Magic" and just call it Disney's MGM park.Another option is to just go and film one show there and just keep calling it Disneys Hollywood Studios,I think overall people just like the name "Studios", they're used to it and they get a soothing feeling when they hear it,if that's the problem then just film something cause I'm convinced every other option that's been named is just going to sound weird to most people.A name like Hollywood Adventure or Hollywoodland are probably the options that will sound the most familiar to most people but apparently Disney has a problem with these,I guess they want to go away from naming a park in F!orida with a " Hollywood" name,I dont know??I'll tell you what Disney's Cinemagic Studios just sounds nicer,or just simplify it and call it Disneys Buena Vista park.

Last edited:
This is exactly what I was going to say.

Portmanteaus are often and have been and always will be an important part of ever-changing languages.

However, the word cinemagine is not a musically beautifully word and seems quite awkward to my ear.

I’m in the Disney’s Hollywood Adventure camp. It fits better with the other park names. Kingdom. Kingdom. Community of Tomorrow. Adventure. Beach. Lagoon. All of these are nouns. Imagine is a verb and does not fit the parallel structure that flows so much more nicely. There are no verbs in the other park names.

I agree,it doesn't fit,its like when Busch Gardens named their newest coaster,they have all these coasters with unique bada** names like Montu,Kumba,Sheikra,Gwazi and they go ahead and name the coaster Cheetah Hunt,it just throws off the flow.

I don't like it, or any of the options really. And I'm really not sure what to call it. There's really not a theme there anymore. I think Hollywood Studios fits better than anything else they've thrown out there, just leave it as is.

I almost prefer to take Hollywood out of it and call it Disney's Movie experience or Adventure. Not sure movies are really based on Hollywood anymore, and add to that the idea is to put you in the movies, not who, what or where movies are made(thus no more studio tie in).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter