Disney's CONTEMPORARY RESORT Information & Questions

Dd and I did the CG brunch last Feb and May. I was fascinated with the area lol.

It appeared the stairs were emergency only,

View attachment 471674

I just wanted to update this post and my original question about access to the roof on Contemporary during the day. On Feb 25th 2020, I was able to take the elevator to the 10th floor and go through the exit door facing Magic Kingdom and take the stairs up to the roof top with no blocking gates or chains. No one else was up there but I was able to take some great shots overlooking Magic Kingdom. This was at around 1pm.

For anyone getting cabin fever and missing the contemporary resort, I wanted to share a 360 degree 5k video I made last summer. I originally filemed it for myself but started posting some of these videos to help eveyone else out while wdw is closed. It works best with an oculus go, but should also work on your phone or computer. I start by crossing the sky bridge from BLT, walk through the grand canyon concourse, take the escalators and exterior stairs to the boat dock, walk along the pathways back to the BLT. Hoping this helps bring some Contemporary Magic back to you all while we all wait this thing out! You tube link to the 360 video is below. :)

Hi all,
I saw a post or two about the "Deluxe Garden Wing" style room at contemporary. Has anyone stayed there recently (sorry - "semi-recently") and have any thoughts? It would be two adults + 6 y/o child. It's priced the ~ same as GF room, or what I've currently got, which is 1BR BWV. Thinking of changing a few nights @ BWV into the Cont room as a split stay. A virtual penny (or perhaps a thumbs up?) for your thoughts!

Hi Jbock,
I'll start out prefacing this by saying I never have stayed in the Garden Wing, though last year the prices in "the tower" actually came down enough for us to try a few nights. I had always wanted to stay there since being a kid many decades ago. It was everything I thought it would be and more. Though we were on the lake side, as soon as we opened our door to the hall we could see the MK, Cinderella's castle, Space Mountain etc. Also being able to watch the monorail run through was just such a joy, not to mention going up to the roof to watch the fireworks at night. We finished that trip, our first split stay, with several nights at the Yacht club.
The reason I say all that is I'm just not sure I would get that same "feeling" in the Garden wing, which is, I'm assuming you know, the smaller buildings off to the side, on the opposite side of the Magic Kingdom. I have heard the rooms are just the same, very nice, but you do have an additional short walk to get to the tower for meals and shops, plus you need to pass through the main tower to get to the bus stop or walking path to Magic Kingdom.
Personally, I think I'd prefer a different deluxe if the price is the same for the garden wing. If I could get a tower room for the same, then a no brainer.
My two cents

Hi all,
I saw a post or two about the "Deluxe Garden Wing" style room at contemporary. Has anyone stayed there recently (sorry - "semi-recently") and have any thoughts? It would be two adults + 6 y/o child. It's priced the ~ same as GF room, or what I've currently got, which is 1BR BWV. Thinking of changing a few nights @ BWV into the Cont room as a split stay. A virtual penny (or perhaps a thumbs up?) for your thoughts!

What do you want to know about it? More specifically? It's surely quieter than the tower, but could possibly be a much longer walk to refill drinks, get to the monorail etc.

* Edit: Sorry, I missed the “Deluxe” part...yes, those rooms do have a different configuration as detailed below.
What do you want to know about it? More specifically? It's surely quieter than the tower, but could possibly be a much longer walk to refill drinks, get to the monorail etc.
The Standard Garden Wing rooms have exactly the same bedding configuration as the tower rooms. **Edited: DELUXE GW rooms are different, King Bed, pull-out sofa, different shaped room.**
pros: rooms can be more quiet than the tower but have boat noise. Larger than most standard deluxe Resort rooms. Close to pools. Close to boats. Lovely views, plus all the amenities of the tower except a longer walk. Keurig instead of coffee pot. Pools are really plain but always warm and hot tub is great
Usually most economical room on monorail loop. 10 minute walk to MK!
Cons: Boat noise - horns can be loud. Shared 1st floor patios, no balcony on higher floors. no kitchen, no laundry, no separate living/sleeping space. Longer walks to the tower for mug refills.
It’s a tough toss up between the 3. It depends where you spend more time at, food preferences, time of travel. For us, I’ll take a 1 bedroom over standard room anyway at any resort.

Last edited:
Hi all,
The Deluxe Garden Wing rooms are large V shaped hotel rooms with a King bed and a Queen sleeper sofa. For 1st floor rooms, they have 2 different patios (each with 2 chairs). On floors 2-3 there are just 2 sets of sliding door with a railing (no balcony).

These rooms are located on inside angels of the garden wing so offer views of the Gardens, Pools, Marina or Bay Lake. You can also walk to the MK in addition to the resort Monorail. It can be very convenient after a late evening at the MK.

I would stick with at 1BR BWV since we don't like to unpack / pack twice. It has more room for 2 adults to have some private space and allow your 6 y/o their own space in the living room area with it's own LCD TV. Also you have a kitchen and a washer/dryer.

Dave

Thanks for the info all. While it sounds like a cool room (I like that there are only three of them) I see some of the downsides mentioned as being issues. I ended up going a different direction- for the same rate (2$ less actually!) I got a CL YC room for half the trip, kept the 1BR for the other half. (YC didn’t have full week open) While the room is smaller I’ve always wanted to try CL and kid loves looks of Stormalong bay... Anyway, drifting off topic. Thanks again for details & pros/cons

Thanks for the info all. While it sounds like a cool room (I like that there are only three of them) I see some of the downsides mentioned as being issues. I ended up going a different direction- for the same rate (2$ less actually!) I got a CL YC room for half the trip, kept the 1BR for the other half. (YC didn’t have full week open) While the room is smaller I’ve always wanted to try CL and kid loves looks of Stormalong bay... Anyway, drifting off topic. Thanks again for details & pros/cons
Last summer we did something sort of similar. Unfortunately we didn’t do the 1BR, but we had a regular CR tower room (lake view) for 1/2 the trip and did YC CL for the other half. It was a good combo to do a split trip with. I think you’ll have a great time. It makes it like to two vacations in one. Enjoy

Enjoy YC CL. It’s a personal fav of ours.

YC CL is great, I think you'll enjoy it! Have a great trip :wizard:.

jbock - Of course you will love YC, but my sisters and I always go for the garden wing when at Contemporary. We just like the quietness of that side, away from the tower chaos! :)

We're planning to be back at Contemporary for Marathon weekend/oldest son's 21st birthday in January. Have a TPV room booked. Can someone remind me if it's odd or even numbered rooms where you can see MK/fireworks from your room. Last time we stayed at Contemporary we had a Lake View and I can't remember from previous stays which one to request.

We're planning to be back at Contemporary for Marathon weekend/oldest son's 21st birthday in January. Have a TPV room booked. Can someone remind me if it's odd or even numbered rooms where you can see MK/fireworks from your room. Last time we stayed at Contemporary we had a Lake View and I can't remember from previous stays which one to request.
It's the odd numbered rooms where you can view the MK and fireworks while laying in bed. You can see the MK and fireworks from any theme park view room at the CR.

Last edited:
It's the odd numbered room where you can view the MK and fireworks while laying in bed. You can see the MK and fireworks from any theme park view room at the CR.

Thanks! I couldn't remember which one and my husband still says his favorite thing was laying in bed and seeing MK/fireworks so I figured it's worth requesting for him. I know we can see it from any room, but it never hurts to ask and maybe see it in bed!

Thanks! I couldn't remember which one and my husband still says his favorite thing was laying in bed and seeing MK/fireworks so I figured it's worth requesting for him. I know we can see it from any room, but it never hurts to ask and maybe see it in bed!
Remember to turn the TV to channel 105 just before the show begins as it will play the soundtrack for the fireworks.

I am sure this was addressed way back but......Was there any more info on room refurbishments at CR? I remember some time ago there was test carpet in an area. Just wondered the status of this :scratchin

I am sure this was addressed way back but......Was there any more info on room refurbishments at CR? I remember some time ago there was test carpet in an area. Just wondered the status of this :scratchin
My guess would be that any planned room refurbishments have been delayed due to Disney being closed for COVID-19. There were rumors that the rooms were going to be updated to have an Incredibles theme and that The Wave was going to transformed into an Incredibles character meal.

My guess would be that any planned room refurbishments have been delayed due to Disney being closed for COVID-19. There were rumors that the rooms were going to be updated to have an Incredibles theme and that The Wave was going to transformed into an Incredibles character meal.
I hope they leave the Wave the way it is. After hearing all of Pete Werner’s reviews, I want to try this place.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter