Disney's Magical Express -- Luggage Tag Info

I couldnt find an answer to my question, please help

We are using ME the day we arrive and leave. We are flying Southwest. The day we leave, we check out in the hotel lobby and are able to check in for our flight? Do we bring our bags to the lobby with us or do they collect them the night before? We have an 8pm flight at night. I'm just curious to how they airline tag our bags.

Also since we will be able to go to a park on our check out day, will the hotel hold our carry ons in the lobby and we grab them upon our return for the ME?

thanks in advance

You've got the basic concepts already, but where you go the morning you check out varies depending on your resort -- you specifically want to visit the Resort Airline Check-In area. It should be easy to locate but it may not be the front desk is the point. For example, at Pop Century the RAC area is outside the main building.

With an evening flight you would visit the RAC the morning you check out, not the night before.

At the RAC area you can check in to your flight and check in your bags. The staff there will put airline tags onto your bags, although at the airport the airline may re-tag your bags with their own.

With Southwest you probably want to check in online 24 hours in advance, if you have not purchased their automatic Early Bird Check In option. If you do check in online, in my experience you may receive SWA boarding passes at your room, which allows you to avoid the Southwest check-in area at the airport entirely, and go directly to security -- it's really nice to do that!

For your carry ons, yes, you can check those bags with the luggage desk (typically right next to the RAC area) and pick them up again before you catch your Magical Express bus. Make sure to allow plenty of time for your carry ons to be retrieved prior to your designated Magical Express pick up time -- just in case; you don't want to panic while they go get your bags.

I couldnt find an answer to my question, please help

We are using ME the day we arrive and leave. We are flying Southwest. The day we leave, we check out in the hotel lobby and are able to check in for our flight? Do we bring our bags to the lobby with us or do they collect them the night before? We have an 8pm flight at night. I'm just curious to how they airline tag our bags.

Also since we will be able to go to a park on our check out day, will the hotel hold our carry ons in the lobby and we grab them upon our return for the ME?

thanks in advance
You've already gotten some great advice. So, here's mine. Get yourself checked in at that 24 hr window. Or, buy the EBCI. That allows you to just forget the whole thing and let SW check you in at the 36 hr mark. Then, before you head to the park on your departure morning, take your bags down to the RAC counter at your resort. You 'may' have received tags and such the night before, for your flight, in your room or on your doorknob. Some do, some don't. So, go down to RAC, get your bags checked. They will give you baggage claim receipts and your boarding passes. Then take your carryon bags over to Bell Services/Luggage Assistence (depends on which resort you're at).
Go, have a fun last day. You will probably be given a DME pickup time of about 5pm-ish. It's generally about 3 hrs prior to flight departure. Be back at the resot at least an hour prior to that p/u time. You need to give Bell Services plenty of time to get your carryon bags. And then, everyone will need to use the rest rooms and check out the gift show one last time. Then, be out at the bus stop no less than 15 mins before the time you were given. The time you are given is the time the bus will be leaving, not the time you should be walking up to the bus stop!!

Thank you so much for your detailed response. I will definitely be checking in 24 hrs in advance and may pay the extra $30 (3 of us) for early check in with southwest. There are 2 adults and a 2.5 yr old and I rather all 3 of us sit together. Especially since the little one will give us extra space in the row.

We received our Disney packet today with the vouchers & luggage tags, it did not come with Magical Express tags? Does that normally come after? We still have a few weeks, we leave February 12th.

Just came here to ask the same thing, did you get yours yet? We leave on Feb 13 and don't have ours yet but did get the packet a while ago.

MatthewsMommy said:
Just came here to ask the same thing, did you get yours yet? We leave on Feb 13 and don't have ours yet but did get the packet a while ago.

Hey cruiser... :-)

Two weeks to go is late for DME tags...I'd call them about it.

Hey cruiser... :-)

Two weeks to go is late for DME tags...I'd call them about it.

Hey there! I called earlier today and they didn't even have the ME on my reservation :confused3. I had even called a few weeks ago to update a change in my flight time. She added it and said they would ship it UPS so I'd get them in time. (I kept forgetting to call.)

I have the ME tag blues. :sad2:Looks like they aren't coming (TA says they were probably never sent). She gave us instructions on how to just go to the counter and request the bags be picked up. Has anyone done this? Did you get your luggage or was it a hassle? I really wanted to be off and running once we got to Orlando, but I'll wait for my bags if they are likely to get lost.

Prince Eric's Mom said:
I have the ME tag blues. :sad2:Looks like they aren't coming (TA says they were probably never sent). She gave us instructions on how to just go to the counter and request the bags be picked up. Has anyone done this? Did you get your luggage or was it a hassle? I really wanted to be off and running once we got to Orlando, but I'll wait for my bags if they are likely to get lost.

There's no problem with them getting our bags for you that way. They've had this "Plan B" for people without DME tags literally since Day One back in May 2005. They've been doing it every day for almost 8 years now, it's just another day at the office for them. In all these years, we've never read about any widespread problems with this method.

Prince Eric's Mom said:

We did this back in 2007 I think. It was a while ago. When we arrived at MCO we gave our claim tags to the ME desk and picked out pictures of what type of luggage we had. All our bags showed up just as if we had used the yellow tags.

Have you or you TA tried calling ME directly? They are good at overnighting or sending out tags with 2day mail. The general reservations people are always on top of ME things.

I believe this is their number 866-599-0951

I tried calling myself, but they very politely told me they couldn't talk to me since we booked with a TA. TA's response was that this is a frequent problem of late and not to worry about it. I guess we'll just go with it and photo our bags before leaving!

Thanks for the responses! I feel better. Now if only if it was going to be warmer next week.....:rolleyes1

I tried calling myself, but they very politely told me they couldn't talk to me since we booked with a TA. TA's response was that this is a frequent problem of late and not to worry about it. I guess we'll just go with it and photo our bags before leaving!

Thanks for the responses! I feel better. Now if only if it was going to be warmer next week.....:rolleyes1
And this is why I never book using a TA!! I want complete control over my vacation!! Even if that just means being able to call DME and talk to them. A TA will get the DME packet. If they don't, then they should have made the call to see where the packet was. Those packets are normally sent out 3-4 weeks prior to travel. So, if the agent hadn't received the packet at the 3 week point, a call should have been made. Looks like that didn't happen.
When they get the packet, they then get it to the guest.

So, it would seem that your TA dropped the ball along the way. My concern would be whether or not the TA actually made the DME reservation. If this is the case, you may not be allowed to ride the bus!! Bring ID with you, as well as your resort reservation number. Bring something that shows everyone that is traveling with you, being on that resort reservation.
Assuming that your TA did make the reservation, and you are in the system when you get there...go to the DME counter. THey will want ID for each person, the resort reservation number. Then, they will want to see your baggage claim receipts...they will copy these and give the originals back to you. Then, give them a brief description of the bags. I try to have something very unique on my bags...bright colored ribbons, a bright strap...anything that will make it stand out from all the other black bags!!

Or, you can just go to baggage claim, get the bags and bring them to the DME counter with you. If you don't have that packet, you have to go to the counter and get vouchers for the bus printed up.

Thanks for all the info. That really helps! She sent me a form that says our reservation has been made. Hopefully we are on the list when we get there.

I think I agree with not booking with a TA. We have used a TA for our last 2 Disney cruises and she's been great and we got a wonderful credit through them so I figured I'd give it a whirl for the parks. I think I'm back to doing it myself for the parks because I'm a control freak too!

My packet usually arrives at the TA in plenty of time.
I've never had a problem before. No call yet & my trip is 3 wks 3 days away.
If I don't hear anything in the next few days I'll give her a call.
I know ME is on my ressie because it's on my papers.
Just getting antsy I guess. :rotfl2:

I LOVE using ME, not having to worry about my bags when I arrive.
If there is something I know I will need, I put it in my carry-on.
That way I can be off and running after I check-in and I can unpack when I get back to my resort that evening.

The downside is going to the airport 3 hrs early. :(
Last summer we got to the airport at 6pm & found our return flight was delayed by 3-4 hrs, so we sat at the airport for a really long time.
We didn't take off until 12am :( that was painful.
Would have opted to stay on property for those extra 3 hrs.

Anyone know how much it costs to take a Taxi back to MCO?
Just curious.

My packet usually arrives at the TA in plenty of time.
I've never had a problem before. No call yet & my trip is 3 wks 3 days away.
If I don't hear anything in the next few days I'll give her a call.
I know ME is on my ressie because it's on my papers.
Just getting antsy I guess. :rotfl2:

I LOVE using ME, not having to worry about my bags when I arrive.
If there is something I know I will need, I put it in my carry-on.
That way I can be off and running after I check-in and I can unpack when I get back to my resort that evening.

The downside is going to the airport 3 hrs early. :(
Last summer we got to the airport at 6pm & found our return flight was delayed by 3-4 hrs, so we sat at the airport for a really long time.
We didn't take off until 12am :( that was painful.
Would have opted to stay on property for those extra 3 hrs.

Anyone know how much it costs to take a Taxi back to MCO?
Just curious.
About $50 or so.

Hmm... pretty sure I already know the answer to this but oh well...

I booked our trip last Wednesday and we leave on March 1st. Made the DME reservation the same day, have the confirmation e-mail and everything. Am I pretty correct to assume our DME luggage tags won't arrive in time? Should I call and ask for everything to be over nighted if they tell me nothing's been sent?

Hmm... pretty sure I already know the answer to this but oh well...

I booked our trip last Wednesday and we leave on March 1st. Made the DME reservation the same day, have the confirmation e-mail and everything. Am I pretty correct to assume our DME luggage tags won't arrive in time? Should I call and ask for everything to be over nighted if they tell me nothing's been sent?

DME says they need at least 10 days to print and send out DME packets. You 'should' be okay. I'm not sure that Disney will overnight a packet when it is the guest who made last minute travel plans. They will sometimes overnight the packet if DME or Disney somehow messed up.
You really don't 'have' to have the packet. You can either go to baggage claim and get your own bags and then take them to the DME area, go to the counter and have your vouchers printed out, or head directly to DME, give them your baggage claim receipts and a description of your bags and get your vouchers printed up. Then, you go to the bus, and they send someone to get your bags and deliver them to your resort for you.
Up to you to decide what you prefer to do if your packet doesn't get to you in time.

Just wanted to update on my situation which was I had booked the trip for March 1st, last Wednesday (a bit over 3 weeks ahead) and was wondering if we would get the DME luggage tags in time. I had made the reservation on DME's website but just wanted to me sure. I called DME directly and she asked if I had my hotel confirmation number, I gave it to her and she asked me if I booked directly through them and I told her no, I had booked with Southwest Vacations. She informed me that they didn't have my DME reservations in yet but made them there and said I should receive the tags and whatnot in 7-10 days. I made the call tonight around 5:30pm central time. I'll report when I get them in case it helps ease someone else in my situation.

We continue to hear about issues with DME not getting info when a guest books with a third party...travel agent, etc. It would seem that even if you try to book DME yourself, online, it still isn't going to work because you technically don't 'have' a reservation. The TA has a reservation. Drives me nuts...this is why I no longer use TAs to book my travel.

We are traveling tomorrow morning with no DME tags, Is it better to collect the luggage ourselves and then go to the DME counter or just bring them out stubs from the airline?
If we do collect them ourselves do we then take them on the bus or will the transport them seperately!
I loke being able to go right to the resort and to a park and not worry about the bags till I come back later in the evening!

We are traveling tomorrow morning with no DME tags, Is it better to collect the luggage ourselves and then go to the DME counter or just bring them out stubs from the airline?
If we do collect them ourselves do we then take them on the bus or will the transport them seperately!
I loke being able to go right to the resort and to a park and not worry about the bags till I come back later in the evening!

Which is better is really up to you. Since you like not having to worry about the bags, I would just let DME get your luggage. If you do decide to get it yourself, your luggage will get stored under your bus and you should tip the driver for handling it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter