Disney's POLYNESIAN VILLAGE RESORT Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all! I'm so excited for our first stay at the Poly. This is definitely a splurge for us as we usually stay at mods. It's also my son's first trip! It will be the three of us.

I need help selecting a room that will work best with a 13 month old. We have booked an entry level standard room. Do any of these come with king beds rather than 2 doubles (or a queen - 1 bed)? We will have a crib set up so it would be nice to have more space. It's also key for us to have a balcony/patio so we have somewhere to hang out once our kiddo goes to bed. I know some of the buildings don't have balconies, right?

Guessing first floor is easiest with a stroller.

I don't really care so much about location, but it would be nice to be close to a bar (ha!) to grab some drinks for our patio. This is probably least important.

If I had to prioritize:
1. Balcony
2. King/queen Bed
3. Location (wherever it may be)

And finally, can we do Trader Sam's with a 13 month old? Any other tips for us?

Thank you!

Last edited:
Hi all! I'm so excited for our first stay at the Poly. This is definitely a splurge for us as we usually stay at mods. It's also my son's first trip! It will be the three of us.

I need help selecting a room that will work best with a 13 month old. We have booked an entry level standard room. Do any of these come with king beds rather than 2 doubles (or a queen - 1 bed)? We will have a crib set up so it would be nice to have more space. It's also key for us to have a balcony/patio so we have somewhere to hang out once our kiddo goes to bed. I know some of the buildings don't have balconies, right?

I don't really care so much about location, but it would be nice to be close to a bar (ha!) to grab some drinks for our patio. This is probably least important.

If I had to prioritize:
1. Balcony
2. King/queen Bed

Thank you!

Doing a quick peek, it looks like most of the King bed 'Standard/Garden' view rooms are in Fiji or Rarotonga.
Both are 3-story longhouses, so they'll have both patios and balconies.

If you google: 'tp polynesian room finder', you'll find a site with views and searchable room types which might be helpful.

Doing a quick peek, it looks like most of the King bed 'Standard/Garden' view rooms are in Fiji or Rarotonga.
Both are 3-story longhouses, so they'll have both patios and balconies.

If you google: 'tp polynesian room finder', you'll find a site with views and searchable room types which might be helpful.
Note that the second floors of these buildings will have neither, so you’ll need to request first or third floor to have outside space. With a stroller I’d choose first. You may want to word your request “first floor please, king room if possible.” I don’t recommend requesting a specific room via TP as if that room is unavailable, the room assigners have no idea why you picked that room. Stating your specific preferences makes it easier for them to grant your requests.

If I had to prioritize:
1. Balcony
2. King/queen Bed

Thank you!
My room, 1814 in Rarotonga, had a King size bed, plenty of space, and was on the first floor. We were very close to the Oasis pool. We were right by the building entrance which was close to the bus stop. At the other end of our building, just down the hall, we were just steps away from the Grand Ceremonial House. It was a great room and a great location.

Quick question - do the king rooms at the Poly have a daybed? It dawned on me that we may be assigned one because we technically fit, but we would need someplace for our almost 3 year old to sleep. I think he’d be fine on a day bed. I’m planning on putting him in the 2nd queen if we get a 2 queen room.

Quick question - do the king rooms at the Poly have a daybed? It dawned on me that we may be assigned one because we technically fit, but we would need someplace for our almost 3 year old to sleep. I think he’d be fine on a day bed. I’m planning on putting him in the 2nd queen if we get a 2 queen room.
Ours did.

If I had to prioritize:
1. Balcony
2. King/queen Bed

Thank you!
I always prefer a room with a balcony over a patio because I feel like it’s a little more private. Our kids sleep great at home, but inevitably, I end up on the balcony at least a couple nights every trip trying to coax a baby/toddler back to sleep in the middle of the night. I wouldn’t feel comfortable sitting outside in my PJs at 2 in the morning on the first floor. We’re staying at the Poly for the first time next month, but we’ve never had issues with strollers and elevators at the resorts.

Having a patio would allow someone to run for food/drinks without having to go through the room though, so that would be a plus!

If I had to prioritize:
1. Balcony
2. King/queen Bed

Thank you!

@Cluelyss has given you good advice above.

I don’t have personal experience with king rooms, but I do know there aren’t that many of them. Yes there are some, but it’s definitely a small number.

I agree with prioritizing your requests. If this were me, I’d probably do something like “first or third floor as first priority, king bed if available.” My kids are young and an outdoor area is very important to us as well. For us, it would be more important than a king.

Trader Sams with a 13 month old is just fine. It does have an adult feel of sorts, but it’s no big deal. It is 21 and older after 8pm, but 4-8 has no restrictions. The outdoor part (Trader Sams Tiki Terrace) is also an option and doesn’t have the 8pm restriction. The indoor part is a bit dark with louder noises at times...may want to keep that in mind depending on how your little one reacts to such places.

Our kids are now 4 and 8, but Poly has been our frequent location of choice over the last few years. During the stroller days, having the monorail really got us hooked and we haven’t turned back yet.

Have fun!

I've been lurking waiting for the official word but we are now DVC members at Poly! We are beyond excited. We're empty nesters and our first contract is at BCV. We were looking to add a monorail resort contract and DH insisted it had to be the Poly.

Thanks for the great thread. Looking forward to our first visit next Fall. :yay:

We are just back from Poly. We stayed 8 nights in Aotearoa, 2nd floor/ monorail facing (standard room). We were traveling with family who were also in Aotearoa, 3rd floor/ lagoon facing (standard room) for three nights. My family LOVED their room with the view of the castle and I was very happy for them. We are always fine with no balcony and with the monorail facing… but our family had not been here since the 80s, so for them to see the lagoon from their room they felt like they got a bit of pixie dust.

The walkway construction is noticeable, but it does not pose too much of an inconvenience. It was actually a nice walk to cut through Tonga to get to Aotearoa… although I am not sure how I would feel if I had a suite in Tonga with all those people cutting through the building 24 hours a day. I would also think the walk to Tuvalu and Fiji would be just a bit longer with the walkway construction rerouting through Tonga. There are plenty of CM along the route to make sure you can find your way around.

I think every time we visit more and more people have found out how great the Oasis pool has become. It is quite busy now, but we still love it with the poolside patio seating, the pool bar, and the Hawaiian music.

We have also found the popularity of Trader Sam’s has continued to increase. My dad got in line around 3:30 and they took his name and number in our party around 3:45. He and the others who gave names at 3:45 then left before joining us back at Trader Sams when they opened at 4. This very much upset others who got in line after 3:45 thinking that they were the first in line since no one else was there, but then learning others were “in front of them” and that they may not actually be in the first groups seated. I can see how that could be disappointing.

Overall... another great stay. Now I just have to start planning the next one!

Does anyone know if there is still a DVC preview center at the Poly? We are DVC owners but interested in adding on points and never did the tour before. We could possibly squeeze one in if its at our resort. Not interested in traveling all the way over to SSR

I've been lurking waiting for the official word but we are now DVC members at Poly! We are beyond excited. We're empty nesters and our first contract is at BCV. We were looking to add a monorail resort contract and DH insisted it had to be the Poly.

Thanks for the great thread. Looking forward to our first visit next Fall. :yay:

Congrats on adding Poly DVC! Hope you have a great time this fall :wizard:.

We are just back from Poly. We stayed 8 nights in Aotearoa, 2nd floor/ monorail facing (standard room). We were traveling with family who were also in Aotearoa, 3rd floor/ lagoon facing (standard room) for three nights. My family LOVED their room with the view of the castle and I was very happy for them. We are always fine with no balcony and with the monorail facing… but our family had not been here since the 80s, so for them to see the lagoon from their room they felt like they got a bit of pixie dust.

Overall... another great stay. Now I just have to start planning the next one!

Glad you had a trip! Have fun planning the next one :goodvibes.

Does anyone know if there is still a DVC preview center at the Poly? We are DVC owners but interested in adding on points and never did the tour before. We could possibly squeeze one in if its at our resort. Not interested in traveling all the way over to SSR

There never was a preview center at Poly for any rooms other than those at the Poly. They might still do Bungalow tours, space permitting. You can visit the DVC desk at Wilderness Lodge and they have set tour times to view Copper Creek. At least they did in December. I bet that any guide at any DVC desk could get you the times of the Copper Creek room preview. The DVC membersite used to list these, not sure if it still does or not.

I chose not to do online check-in. It was nice to walk into the lobby and get our lei's when we arrived.

We had made our requests with our travel agent, and we got them both: Close to the GCH, first floor.

I love the idea of walking in and receiving a lei! I usually do online check in and just get a text when my room is ready. So...silly question but if we walk in to check in, will they still text us when our room is ready?

My toddler son and I are staying at Poly DVC in 10 days and I CANNOT WAIIIITTT!!!

Two questions:

1) If I don’t need to be first in line at rope drop but want to enjoy an hour or so of light lines, what time would you recommend we get in line for the monorail? I haven’t yet done the resort-side security checks. We have 4 days at Magic Kingdom so will be doing stuff at a casual pace.

2) Anyone have success with instacart at the Poly? We use it twice a week at home so I plan to order some perishable stuff and have bell services refigerate it a couple hours if needed, then I plan to call them to deliver it to our room.

TIA:)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter