Disney's POLYNESIAN VILLAGE RESORT Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do they do the planned morning run at the Poly like they do at a few of the other resorts? Not sure of the names, but it's a fairly short distance, like 1.5 miles or so, and is in the $15-$30 range. I'm asking on the threads of all 3 resorts we;ll be staying at, so sorry for the repetition if you follow all of the threads :P.
I don't think so. I was just looking at the recreation calendars for our upcoming trips and only see those at YC and BWI. YC is the Regatta Run 3K on Thursdays, and the BWI one is a 1.4 mile Seaside Sprint Fun Run on Fridays. Nothing listed for Poly-just yoga.

I just had to let some steam off my chest about the Polynesian. First I must start out by saying, I've never stayed at the resort. As a DVC member, I don't have enough points for the bungalows and we rarely stay in studios so I'll probably never stay at the Poly. Since I was a kid, we always used the Polynesian parking lot to get to the Monorail and avoid the MK parking lot because we were DVC members. I've been through that lobby 100 times. I always liked walking through the resort, starting with the koi pond outside and then everything in the lobby. It was my favorite lobby of all the resorts. So fast forward to December of 2018. My 5 year old daughter and I took a mini vacation for just the 2 of us so I could get her pumped for our family vacation later this year. I took her on the monorail for the first time and we stopped at all the resorts so I could show them to her. The one that I was most excited about was taking her to see the lobby at Poly. I was talking about it the whole trip and as we got off the monorail and walked into the lobby, my jaw hit the floor. THEY RENOVATED THE LOBBY??!?!????! It was gone, all gone. Everything that I remember from my youth, my favorite lobby was gone. I was so mad, I just turned around and hopped back onto the monorail to head to the Grand Floridian, didn't even bother to see if the koi pond was still there. I was just mad.

Come to find out about the whole 2014 renovation (which is around the time when I cut the cord from my parents and started vacationing on my own and, unfortunately, without a rental car) But this was a sad moment. Basically unless we're going to the SOA, I have no reason to go there anymore. Does anyone know why they renovated the lobby? was there water problems?

Personally, I don’t love the new walk from the HS bus stops. If I had a car, and I was going to be arriving early enough to be close to the front of the gate, I would probably drive. But again, that is just personal preference. I would also probably factor in how long I planned to stay at the park, whether I planned to leave for a midday break or park hop, etc.

Thanks so much for your reply. We will be there for early morning magic and will be headed back to the Poly mid day for a nap so I’m thinking we may just drive and take the bus back after nap time.

Last edited:

I fell in love with the piña colava on our Disney Cruise and don’t see it on any of the Poly menus. Do y’all know if they will make one for me even though it’s not on the menu there?

Wow... that must have been disappointing for you. I think you should do some searches on the changes to the lobby because there was a hullabaloo everywhere on the internet when it was announced and when the new lobby opened. I was really upset at first and went there on the last day of the old lobby and the first day of the new lobby just to see how horrible it was. But it isn't horrible to me. it has my Shruggie tiki statue that is my new friend, it still has the amazing atmosphere and it still has the only magical view of the MK castle as you walk in the door. That is Disney to me. I love it and when I'm feeling down I go there to cheer up. Maybe you could give it a chance.

I just had to let some steam off my chest about the Polynesian. First I must start out by saying, I've never stayed at the resort. As a DVC member, I don't have enough points for the bungalows and we rarely stay in studios so I'll probably never stay at the Poly. Since I was a kid, we always used the Polynesian parking lot to get to the Monorail and avoid the MK parking lot because we were DVC members. I've been through that lobby 100 times. I always liked walking through the resort, starting with the koi pond outside and then everything in the lobby. It was my favorite lobby of all the resorts. So fast forward to December of 2018. My 5 year old daughter and I took a mini vacation for just the 2 of us so I could get her pumped for our family vacation later this year. I took her on the monorail for the first time and we stopped at all the resorts so I could show them to her. The one that I was most excited about was taking her to see the lobby at Poly. I was talking about it the whole trip and as we got off the monorail and walked into the lobby, my jaw hit the floor. THEY RENOVATED THE LOBBY??!?!????! It was gone, all gone. Everything that I remember from my youth, my favorite lobby was gone. I was so mad, I just turned around and hopped back onto the monorail to head to the Grand Floridian, didn't even bother to see if the koi pond was still there. I was just mad.

Come to find out about the whole 2014 renovation (which is around the time when I cut the cord from my parents and started vacationing on my own and, unfortunately, without a rental car) But this was a sad moment. Basically unless we're going to the SOA, I have no reason to go there anymore. Does anyone know why they renovated the lobby? was there water problems?

As great as the fountain piece was it really took up HUGE amounts of the lobby. Disney needed more space to accommodate the crowds of people that visit that resort, partly due to the DVC additions. Honestly it is a more functional lobby without the centerpiece, but it's also not quite as grand as it once was. It's still my favorite MK area resort.

We'll be in Disney over 4th of July, but not staying at Poly. I know that on the 4th you can't watch fireworks from the beach if you're not a Poly guest, but what about on the 3rd? We have a reservation for Ohana that night so just wondering if we could stay and watch the fireworks, or if I need to come up with something else to see them that night. I would really like a HEA dessert party but I think my odds of getting one now for that day are basically zero.

Hey @Shellyb84, sorry for the delayed post. I will caveat that I've seen the setups on these special nights vary a bit here and there each time over the last two years that we've done July 4th week, so YMMV... but the true Poly beach restrictions only happen on 7/4, not 7/3.

enhance

And to piggyback on what others have said, the skylight needed major repair. I believe they found that the modern building codes made fixing this cost prohibitive, if not entirely impossible.

Clearly I am missing a keen eye yet because I don’t see anything that stood out to me as a refurb there. Chairs in the lounge looked different perhaps but what am I missing?

Most of the changes were in the behind the bar area. They re-arranged/re-did that "middle island" area where you see the bottles. There is a lot more space for bartenders to move around and to cover all three (I think there are just three) sides + Ohana drink orders. It's also a bit brighter.

IMG_4986.jpg

My daughter (she’s 8!) informed me she wants to have a drink with an umbrella in it on her next vacation. Lol! Any chance there’s a non-alcoholic version of the Lapu Lapu? Or an “umbrella drink” at the Poly you’d recommend for an 8 year old?

My daughter (she’s 8!) informed me she wants to have a drink with an umbrella in it on her next vacation. Lol! Any chance there’s a non-alcoholic version of the Lapu Lapu? Or an “umbrella drink” at the Poly you’d recommend for an 8 year old?

In the pic just above, one is mine, and one is for an 8 year old. :-) So yes, you can get non-alcoholic versions of anything. Beware the sugar-induced craziness afterwards though!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter