Disney's POLYNESIAN VILLAGE RESORT Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well we have 2 more full days before we leave. I have to say that I have enjoyed our stay over all. There are some things that I have noticed and I have compared to my other stays at over deluxe resorts.

1# house keeping is horribly lacking. Each day along with my tip that I leave for the mouse keeping lady I nicely ask for enough supplies (towels. & Face clothes) for 5 people. It is very obvious that we have 5 ppl in our room. Each side of the beds are unmade and so is the day bed. We get plenty of towels but only 4 face clothes. Really.... Is 7 days in it's been the same lady for the last 3 days.

Yes we have called each day and complained.

- room #2 has had the same dirty coffee cups daily. They are just rinshed out and replaced (we can smell the hazelnut coffee mate from home) really they don't own a dish washer uck!!!!! We stopped using them.

One day we stayed all day at the resort & pool my mom waited until it cooled off to head to the pool (wishful thinking it was 105 degrees) mouse keeping she said was in the room across the hall for 3 hours in the same room she. Heard her talking on the phone the whole time. When she heard me and my mother talking that I was going to take a shower she rushed into my room to clean it..... Half assed.

Vacuuming is a joke.... They only vaccum where u can see. pulling the chair out if it's pushed in lol doesn't happen. Or the corners of the bathroom at least it's our hair.

We have complained the comment is.... Housekeeping and staff here at the poly has changed greatly!!

2# my husband went down the slide with the kids he saw dirty towel stuffed at the top of the waterfall, clean water was filtering threw the filthy towels on to pool on ppls heads. Gross.

3# I have seen numberless ppl in the pool with street clothes. The life guards never comments? Any other pool the staff has enforced the rules here at the poly the pool staff acts like they don't see a thing.

4# we been to the pool 6 out of our 7 days here and not once has anyone enforced the checking of the bands. My mom was having trouble with her band tonight it would not unlock the gate. A women let her in but gave her a dirty look like she was pool hopping. It as kind of funny. Would pool hoppers try the scanner??? Or just sneak in.

5# we have eaten at kona cafe, Ohana, chef Mickey, grand cafe, T. rex, all of the meals have been good but we felt very rushed to get out. T. rex was our best meal yet. We had an Un invited guest at the end of our meal tonight at kona. We were seat right at the edge closest to the lobby. From the celing a cricket fell into a empty plate. We calmy moved the plate and quietly handed it to the server. Ohhhh the the cricket started jumping all over the table, the kids freaked, we laughed the server was mortified, we told him not to worry, we saw it fall it wasn't his fault. The manger came over an apologized. We said it was ok he's aid we were so nice about it he gave us all dessert on the house. It was really funny !

****i really like the monorail access. I don't think I could get my husband to stay here again. I have over all. Liked our stay, I love the size of our room, I live the size of the resort, I love the fireworks from the beach at night. But I do miss the access to the entertainment at the boardwalk at night.

Well we have 2 more full days before we leave. I have to say that I have enjoyed our stay over all. There are some things that I have noticed and I have compared to my other stays at over deluxe resorts.

1# house keeping is horribly lacking. Each day along with my tip that I leave for the mouse keeping lady I nicely ask for enough supplies (towels. & Face clothes) for 5 people. It is very obvious that we have 5 ppl in our room. Each side of the beds are unmade and so is the day bed. We get plenty of towels but only 4 face clothes. Really.... Is 7 days in it's been the same lady for the last 3 days.

- room #2 has had the same dirty coffee cups daily. They are just rinshed out and replaced (we can smell the hazelnut coffee mate from home) really they don't own a dish washer uck!!!!! We stopped using them.

One day we stayed all day at the resort & pool my mom waited until it cooled off to head to the pool (wishful thinking it was 105 degrees) mouse keeping she said was in the room across the hall for 3 hours in the same room she. Heard her talking on the phone the whole time. When she heard me and my mother talking that I was going to take a shower she rushed into my room to clean it..... Half assed.

Vacuuming is a joke.... They only vaccum where u can see. pulling the chair out if it's pushed in lol doesn't happen. Or the corners of the bathroom at least it's our hair.

We have complained the comment is.... Housekeeping and staff here at the poly has changed greatly!!

2# my husband went down the slide with the kids he saw dirty towel stuffed at the top of the waterfall, clean water was filtering threw the filthy towels on to pool on ppls heads. Gross.

3# I have seen numberless ppl in the pool with street clothes. The life guards never comments? Any other pool the staff has enforced the rules here at the poly the pool staff acts like they don't see a thing.

4# we been to the pool 6 out of our 7 days here and not once has anyone enforced the checking of the bands. My mom was having trouble with her band tonight it would not unlock the gate. A women let her in but gave her a dirty look like she was pool hopping. It as kind of funny. Would pool hoppers try the scanner??? Or just sneak in.

5# we have eaten at kona cafe, Ohana, chef Mickey, grand cafe, T. rex, all of the meals have been good but we felt very rushed to get out. T. rex was our best meal yet. We had an Un invited guest at the end of our meal tonight at kona. We were seat right at the edge closest to the lobby. From the celing a cricket fell into a empty plate. We calmy moved the plate and quietly handed it to the server. Ohhhh the the cricket started jumping all over the table, the kids freaked, we laughed the server was mortified, we told him not to worry, we saw it fall it wasn't his fault. The manger came over an apologized. We said it was ok he's aid we were so nice about it he gave us all dessert on the house. It was really funny !

****i really like the monorail access. I don't think I could get my husband to stay here again. I have over all. Liked our stay, I love the size of our room, I live the size of the resort, I love the fireworks from the beach at night. But I do miss the access to the entertainment at the boardwalk at night.

Housekeeping across the board at Disney has gone progressively downhill. We were at the Contemporary in May, I repeatedly had to ask for replenishments on toiletries, even though they could see the empty squeezed completely dry bottles. I finally decided to just put the DND hang tag on the door and pull the covers up myself and do a towel swap, they would watch us leave for the parks i the morning and we'd come back to rest mid afternoon and the room would still be unmade. At least at the Swan and Dolphin you can opt out of daily housekeeping and they give you either starwood points or a comp drink. They just leave a packet for you daily.

Your morning view from Fiji...
View attachment 118662 Yesterday's magical recap:

Sean comes and gets us, puts leis on us gives us a warm welcome and announces...the EXACT 3 requests I faxed AND room is ready:faint:

From the looks of this pic, you must have requested something very similar to the room request I made for an upcoming stay. My wife and I are heading to the Poly in 2 weeks for our first stay! I really want to be away from the construction so I figured Fiji was a good choice. I've arranged a fax request to be sent through touringplans.com's website for:

King Bed
Fiji
Third Floor

I must admit I'm worried that the fax request won't work because I just returned from Pop last week and none of my fax requests were honored. Hopefully better luck this time, but I'm going to call and have the request added to my reservation as well.

Any tweaking of my request based on the wordking of your request to get the same view as yours? Thanks for any help you're willing to offer.

Last edited:
I've never stayed at the poly before. Can someone tell me the best transportation to get to each park?

Magic Kingdom - monorail or ferry - correct?
Epcot - monorail
Animal kingdom - bus? From TTC or from bus stop at Poly?
Hollywood Studios - bus? From TTC or from bus stop at Poly?
Downtown Disney?

If you tip mouse keeping, how much do you leave each day?

Anyone remember the website that can be used to determine the best transportation to use?

TIA

The pool was very nice and the kids area a nice bonus (I got right in there with my two year old son and splashed around- we were surprised how deep it was) Come to think of it though, all Disney pools seem really nice.
Glad to hear parents can go in. I have a somewhat apprehensive 4-year-old and sometimes overly-ambitious-1.5 year old so I am definately planning to chaperone in the kids area :-)

Hope these guys are there in two weeks - my girls will love them! I may have trouble getting them to the parks once they spot the ducks!

My husband and I were at the pool a couple of times in our street clothes....that isn't an indication that people are not staying at the resort. The first day we even had a carry on bag in tow and gave our kids their suits right there.... while waiting for our room. Another night we didn't feel like going in but sat there fully clothed while our kids swam...lol. I would not have been very happy if the staff approached us every time we went to the pool in clothes. I think that it's best left alone unless there is an especially crowded day...like the 4th when they did check....

Last edited:

I've never stayed at the poly before. Can someone tell me the best transportation to get to each park?

Magic Kingdom - monorail or ferry - correct?
Epcot - monorail
Animal kingdom - bus? From TTC or from bus stop at Poly?
Hollywood Studios - bus? From TTC or from bus stop at Poly?
Downtown Disney?

If you tip mouse keeping, how much do you leave each day?

Anyone remember the website that can be used to determine the best transportation to use?

TIA
We were there a couple of weeks ago....

Mk. .....We enjoyed the ferry more than the monorail...and I love the monorail.
Epcot we walked to TTC for the monorail
AK HS DD we took. the bus from the poly. We were the first stop and then they went to the Grand Floridian....

Edited to add...before you head to the TTC to get the monorail for Epcot check to be sure it is running... I believe transportation Info was the '!' On the phone...

Last edited:

AK HS DD we took. the bus from the poly. We were the first stop and then they went to the Grand Floridian....

Edited to add...before you head to the TTC to get the monorail for Epcot check to be sure it is running... I believe transportation Info was the '!' On the phone...

Thanks! Does the ferry start running early enough to get us there for rope drop? How long is the ride to MK?

We are at the Poly now, and while my kids were swimming my daughter mentioned that there was music playing underwater! :flower1:
That's awesome. I didn't recall hearing any and I checked with my family and they said the same. At Cabana Bay it was very noticeable and clear. They must have fixed it or turned it on.

We actually took the bus one morning to the MK. We had an early BOG ADR for 8:05. No monorail service yet and we were told (possibly incorrectly) that the boats were not running yet. We stopped at GF and CR on the way

Can't believe how many DISers are at the Polynesian right now :rainbow: Hope everyone has a great time.

I'm sorry to read of bad Housekeeping. We had the best experience with that last month that I've ever remembered having. I'd hoped they'd improved resort-wide.

Love your photos, @WDWKOOK - isn't Fiji the best? :cloud9:
and @SeaSpray I can't wait to follow along with your live report :yay: Missing the Polynesian so much... :guilty:

I don't get the pool comments at all. Is it not allowed to be in the pool area in street clothes? How does that have any bearing on if you are a resort guest or not? We were known to take a short cut from the boat to the room by walking through the pool. I also dared to walk in with street clothes on to buy beers for DH and I to enjoy while we waited on ME to pick us up. Even if someone was in street clothes and not a resort guest how are they impacting the use of the pool?

Nor do I think pool hoppers is a significant issue to crowding of the pool at Poly. I think the gates do keep a lot of hoppers from coming over. Since they can use the gates for controlled access when they feel there is a need to it's rather dumb to haul yourself over there when you have no way of knowing if you will get in or not. We were there for 8 days this month and not one time did we struggle to find a chair. Not one time was the pool severely crowded or our ability to use the pool impacted. I can't imagine there are so many hoppers it takes the pool from pleasurable to over crowded. Mostly you notice an increase in the numbers in the pool because there is only 1 right now.

i read the original comment as people were swimming IN the pool with regular clothes on, as opposed to a bathing suit of some type, which is probably more of a cleanliness/safety(?) issue- not just people in the pool AREA with regular clothes on.
Ah, that makes a bit more sense I suppose. But again, not sure it matters much to me. For instance, I noticed a lady swimming in her sports bra and bike shorts instead of a swimsuit on our trip. Other than the fact that I noticed it was not a traditional swim suit it didn't bother me in any way. Some people don't have the forethought to pack swim wear when they arrive so they let kids swim in clothes. I notice this more with foreign guests than I do with US guests (assumption based on non English speaking).

i read the original comment as people were swimming IN the pool with regular clothes on, as opposed to a bathing suit of some type, which is probably more of a cleanliness/safety(?) issue- not just people in the pool AREA with regular clothes on.

ditto. I think it's people getting in the pool in street clothes :eek:

My husband and I were at the pool a couple of times in our street clothes....that isn't an indication that people are not staying at the resort. The first day we even had a carry on bag in tow and gave our kids their suits right there.... while waiting for our room. Another night we didn't feel like going in but sat there fully clothed while our kids swam...lol. I would not have been very happy if the staff approached us every time we went to the pool in clothes. I think that it's best left alone unless there is an especially crowded day...like the 4th when they did check....

I don't get the pool comments at all. Is it not allowed to be in the pool area in street clothes? How does that have any bearing on if you are a resort guest or not? We were known to take a short cut from the boat to the room by walking through the pool. I also dared to walk in with street clothes on to buy beers for DH and I to enjoy while we waited on ME to pick us up. Even if someone was in street clothes and not a resort guest how are they impacting the use of the pool?

Nor do I think pool hoppers is a significant issue to crowding of the pool at Poly. I think the gates do keep a lot of hoppers from coming over. Since they can use the gates for controlled access when they feel there is a need to it's rather dumb to haul yourself over there when you have no way of knowing if you will get in or not. We were there for 8 days this month and not one time did we struggle to find a chair. Not one time was the pool severely crowded or our ability to use the pool impacted. I can't imagine there are so many hoppers it takes the pool from pleasurable to over crowded. Mostly you notice an increase in the numbers in the pool because there is only 1 right now.

I believe the OP is commenting on the fact that people were SWIMMING in their street clothes not just hanging by the pool! Which I have to agree, that is gross. Everyone should have a swimsuit on to swim in a pool.

I'm sorry about the housekeeping issues. Like the pp said, it seems as if housekeeping overall has been declining. We've never had an issue at any of the resorts we've stayed at, but there seems to be issues at all resorts lately :(.

We are at the Poly now, and while my kids were swimming my daughter mentioned that there was music playing underwater! :flower1:

This is great to hear! :)

Can't believe how many DISers are at the Polynesian right now :rainbow: Hope everyone has a great time.

I'm sorry to read of bad Housekeeping. We had the best experience with that last month that I've ever remembered having. I'd hoped they'd improved resort-wide.

Love your photos, @WDWKOOK - isn't Fiji the best? :cloud9:
and @SeaSpray I can't wait to follow along with your live report :yay: Missing the Polynesian so much... :guilty:

Hi johnsonet :wave:

That's the way I read it, too.

Other than the fact that I noticed it was not a traditional swim suit it didn't bother me in any way. Some people don't have the forethought to pack swim wear when they arrive so they let kids swim in clothes.
yeah, overall i don't think i have a problem with the type of swim clothes people have on, even if it's a t-shirt and some shorts- i think it's harder to tell if that t-shirt is someone's designated swim outfit. i just wouldn't really want people in the pool in the same clothes as they wore on the plane or in the parks, and already spent 10+ hours in- that's definitely a cleanliness issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter