• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney's POP CENTURY RESORT Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Frequent Pop stayer here with a new situation... hoping someone has had this situation before and can offer guidance.

I just got word that I need to do a webcam interview; both available dates are when I'm in WDW (of course!). I picked a time that works for me to come back to the room, so it should be quiet(ish.). My concern is the internet connection. We use it, but it's always recreationally so I've never "put it through its paces" so to speak. Is it decent for a Skype/FaceTime type setup? Late afternoon (so hopefully less network traffic) if it makes a difference.

If not, suggestions for where else to go? I can potentially borrow a car if there's someplace offsite - but I figure the quiet of my room is the best bet if it will work.

Any experiences would be appreciated! TIA.

Disney is always hiring Housekeeping and at the moment offering $500 Signing Bonus so I would say yes, they are having retaining issues. I think it's likely a complicated situation, and not sure this new offering will help them retain.

I was thinking that they may be trying to reduce the number of housekeepers needed because they can't hire enough to fill all the openings required if every room is serviced every day. They can calculate the average length of stay to get an idea of the minimum number of days they will have to service the room if everyone declines housekeeping and then figure out how many people they need to cover the reduced workflow. I doubt if they will be cutting anyone's hours - in fact, they will probably be responsible for a larger number of rooms if they don't have to service every room every day. Just making up numbers for an example, but say each housekeeper now has 25 rooms to do, they could double that assignment to 50 rooms and possibly only be servicing 25 on any given day. So the workload is the same, but the number of people required is lower.

Of course, it could all work out to be a perfect storm at certain times of the year when there are exceptionally high turnover rates . . .

As always, this is a job they CHOSE. This isn't Lois Lowry's "The Giver" where your job/career is assigned by someone else.
When I was going into teaching I had a subject I was passionate about that was being cut left and right from schools OR a subject that I enjoyed and was good at that kept expanding. I didn't choose the passion and then bemoan programs being cut, pay being cut, being forced to teach something else. I picked the one with a better pay opportunity and stability. Welcome to taking responsibility for your actions in the grown up world.
LOL. Yes, you're right. I'm sure they went to college and majored in housekeeping.

Maybe they "chose" housekeeping over their family starving to death, or being homeless.

Teaching is a "career." You have to go to school to become a teacher. Not everyone has that option. And as you said, you had a choice on which subject to teach. Not everyone gets a choice.

People have different circumstances in life.

Some people are more fortunate than others. Some have to get any job they can because their parents died and they are raising their brothers and sisters. Or other circumstances came up.

I'm not even going to continue with this ridiculous conversation.

Back to the topic on hand...

I didn't bring up the concern about how the gift card vs housekeeping service affects the houskeepers jobs. It won't really be a factor for me. I'm basing this decision on what works best for my family and our vacation. If I choose to keep the housekeeping service I will tip them well like I usually do. I know it's not a job I would want to do.

Last edited:
The last I'm going to say is this....I'm not going to plan my vacation and expenditures based on "oh it will cut money from x business/person".

I think it's best that we just not discuss the topic of the gift cards as in the past moderators have shut some of those threads down. Let's keep this to Pop Century Resort lest we lose a really great and informative thread about a resort we love!
I think the gift card discussion is relevant. It's an option I'm interested in at Pop. However, the gift card option effect on housekeepers themselves is not relevant. I won't be addressing that in the future.

I'm hoping for the gift card option and would like to know how it's working out for guests at Pop.

Last edited:
I agree @DisneyMom93. That is more the angle I was speaking of but you worded your response better.

Discussing if they are available is relevant, just staying away from why we should not/should choose them was the discussion I was hoping we would shy away from.

Thank you for clarifying.

Frequent Pop stayer here with a new situation... hoping someone has had this situation before and can offer guidance.

I just got word that I need to do a webcam interview; both available dates are when I'm in WDW (of course!). I picked a time that works for me to come back to the room, so it should be quiet(ish.). My concern is the internet connection. We use it, but it's always recreationally so I've never "put it through its paces" so to speak. Is it decent for a Skype/FaceTime type setup? Late afternoon (so hopefully less network traffic) if it makes a difference.

If not, suggestions for where else to go? I can potentially borrow a car if there's someplace offsite - but I figure the quiet of my room is the best bet if it will work.

We haven't ever had problems watching Nexflix in the room at Pop, so I would think that you'd be fine with Skype.

Ya know, here is another thing... so the housekeepers will lose hours on this, not be able to collect daily tips from those customers generous enough to leave them, etc. And then, to make it more fun for them, when the guests DO check out after twelve days with no housekeeping there will be an unholy mess left behind for them to clean up, and I'll bet you anything the tip the customers leave at that point will not be proportionate to the mess they have left. Sheesh.
I just saw a post where all cast meembers, for all parks are getting their hours cut as Disney's fiscal new year is coming up and they need to save money somewhere to make their numbers look good.

It honestly depends. I have had issues staying connected to ventrillo (voice chat) on their internet. And get awful lag playing World of Warcraft there, like 5k ping (My input takes 5 seconds to respond). I don't know if that is enough lag to drop a facetime/skype call though. It used to be awesome, but if its during prime time there's been times I've had to just give up using it for anything but emails.

Hey y'all! quick question, what section should i request if i want a refurbished room? i know it's not guaranteed but it doesn't hurt to try.

also, would faxing in a request be better than early online check in?

Hey y'all! quick question, what section should i request if i want a refurbished room? i know it's not guaranteed but it doesn't hurt to try.

Your best bet would be to just request "refurbished room please".

also, would faxing in a request be better than early online check in?

It would be best to call and add the above request to your reservation. Then skip the room request section during Online Check In.

Does the Pop offer cases of water? If so, does anyone know the cost? I'm wondering if I need to order some from Amazon to have delivered or if I can just get it there.
TIA

Does the Pop offer cases of water? If so, does anyone know the cost? I'm wondering if I need to order some from Amazon to have delivered or if I can just get it there.
TIA

It has been posted that POP has cases of water for 6.99 but you have to ask for them.

It has been posted that POP has cases of water for 6.99 but you have to ask for them.
Thank you for the answer, I appreciate that. Do you ask at the store or at the quick service or even somewhere else? Also, is it a case of 6/12/24.

Thank you for the answer, I appreciate that. Do you ask at the store or at the quick service or even somewhere else? Also, is it a case of 6/12/24.

Ask a CM at Everything POP /food court. If they say they don't have them ask for a supervisor. Not sure about quantity but I think 24.

Last edited:
It honestly depends. I have had issues staying connected to ventrillo (voice chat) on their internet. And get awful lag playing World of Warcraft there, like 5k ping (My input takes 5 seconds to respond). I don't know if that is enough lag to drop a facetime/skype call though. It used to be awesome, but if its during prime time there's been times I've had to just give up using it for anything but emails.

Thanks for the input! Any suggestions for backup locations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter