Disney's POP CENTURY RESORT Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
We discussed it and we will turn down the opt out of housekeeping if offered. DH said not having to take out trash, make the beds etc is part of vacation to him. Said he'd rather come back to a clean, made-up room than have the money. I do think $15 is a little low though.

Just checked into Pop this morning. They started the housekeeping opt out test today. Got $180 gift card for our 13 night stay.

Was the opt out option an all or nothing deal? We are there for 10 nights and don't mind taking our own trash out and getting towels but it might be nice to have the room cleaned well once, maybe halfway through the trip. We will be checking in August 19 so wondering if the test will still be going on.

Was the opt out option an all or nothing deal? We are there for 10 nights and don't mind taking our own trash out and getting towels but it might be nice to have the room cleaned well once, maybe halfway through the trip. We will be checking in August 19 so wondering if the test will still be going on.

Gappedout mentioned on a different thread that if you opt out of housekeeping for your stay, you can still request it during your stay but you will be charged $15/day for the service. So it sounds like the opt out is an all or nothing deal with the option of "paying" for housekeeping on days you might feel you'd like it.

Ya know, here is another thing... so the housekeepers will lose hours on this, not be able to collect daily tips from those customers generous enough to leave them, etc. And then, to make it more fun for them, when the guests DO check out after twelve days with no housekeeping there will be an unholy mess left behind for them to clean up, and I'll bet you anything the tip the customers leave at that point will not be proportionate to the mess they have left. Sheesh.

Not being mentioned much is that you also save any money upu might have left in housekeeping tips. That being said, I don't like the how low will they go game Disney is playing. We check in the 13th of August for 12 days. I think, if offered, I will decline.

Also not being mentioned is possibility housekeepers are not able to make a living if their hours are reduced!

Since when are ALL disney property guests slobs.....oh wait I read about and argued with some of them on the closed thread about this. Ones that apparently don't pick up after their kids anyway and expect housekeeping to pick up everything after them.
I'm sorry, but we are 2 adults that clean up after ourselves, don't leave trash and crumbs and dirty diapers lying around and don't NEED someone making our bed or changing sheets everyday. We are capable of doing that on our own.
As always, if they are so concerned about hours and tips being cut and can't make ends meet with their money, then they need to change jobs/companies. And I see that to ANYONE complaining about money and their job.

I don't see how the housekeeper has that much more work if they service my room daily, or if they wait until day 7 to do it. We forego housekeeping at least half the time and if the trash is full, I put it outside the door, and they pick it up. If I were to skip housekeeping for the duration of my trip, on the last day of my stay, they'd collect towels and put out new ones, they'll change the sheets and collect the old ones, they'll vacuum the floor, they'll empty the trash, they'll clean the toilet and the mirrors and the counter and the sink.....that stuff isn't going to be more work for them to clean on day 7 than it would have been on day 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6. I really can't comprehend how cleaning after 7 days of not doing it will be so much more work than doing it everyday. At least when they clean on the day that I've checked out, they aren't working around all my shampoo bottles in the sink, my stuff on the bathroom counter and tops of the dressers, my kids shoes on the floor in the corner, etc.

Since when are ALL disney property guests slobs.....oh wait I read about and argued with some of them on the closed thread about this. Ones that apparently don't pick up after their kids anyway and expect housekeeping to pick up everything after them.
I'm sorry, but we are 2 adults that clean up after ourselves, don't leave trash and crumbs and dirty diapers lying around and don't NEED someone making our bed or changing sheets everyday. We are capable of doing that on our own.
As always, if they are so concerned about hours and tips being cut and can't make ends meet with their money, then they need to change jobs/companies. And I see that to ANYONE complaining about money and their job.
You make it sound so easy to quit a job and go get another one that pays more money. Most times that's easier said than done. Especially for service providers, such as housekeepers.

We are very neat and I hate clutter. I don't "make" the bed as tidy as housekeeping does but I do straighten it out neatly.

We don't "need" housekeeping and would most likely take the gift card instead. But I don't hold it against those that prefer housekeeping.

It's truly a personal decision. I'm thinking Pop must already have had to decrease their cleaning staff as the number of rooms in circulation is reduced for the next year or so due to the refurbishments.

$15/day + tip is a lot of money for us (almost $30CDN/day) which is pricey for someone to make the bed and do a light cleaning. We like to leave our room tidy for housekeeping so that they don't need to clean around our mess. I'd prefer to pay once or twice during our 10 night stay and spend that extra savings elsewhere during our trip.

Considering booking at Pop for our May trip. Just my husband and I. We have a king bed at home and have trouble sleeping in anything smaller--especially a double! I know requests are not guaranteed, but if we request a King Bed, how good is Pop at honoring requests?

I understand everyone's concerns for jobs but a business, In this case, a hotel, is there to make money by providing a service not to keep jobs for the jobs sake. If they trial changes to see if the customers would like a change, in this case skipping house keeping for all or part of there stay, they should. Same is a restaurants drop lunch because most of their customers come for breakfast and dinner or some other change that affects hours. Hourly employees will always in any market be a the whim of the market. That is why they are not salary positions, there needs to be away to adjust as demands change.

Considering booking at Pop for our May trip. Just my husband and I. We have a king bed at home and have trouble sleeping in anything smaller--especially a double! I know requests are not guaranteed, but if we request a King Bed, how good is Pop at honoring requests?

You have to just hope. There really aren't that many king bed rooms, and many of the ones that are, are disability access rooms, so people who need the accessible rooms probably (and should) take priority. According to Easy WDW: There are 2,621 rooms with double beds, 115 handicap accessible with double beds, 81 King Bed rooms, and 63 handicap accessible King Bed rooms.

So 144 king bed rooms vs 2621 without king beds. Even if they are good at honoring requests, there isn't a lot inventory of king beds to go around.

BTW, refurbished rooms have queen beds (actually, 1 queen bed and 1 queen size murphy bed) rather than doubles.

I hope they're still giving the option to opt out of housekeeping when we arrive September 5th. We always leave the Privacy sign on our door, so this would be free money.

You make it sound so easy to quit a job and go get another one that pays more money. Most times that's easier said than done. Especially for service providers, such as housekeepers.

As always, this is a job they CHOSE. This isn't Lois Lowry's "The Giver" where your job/career is assigned by someone else.
When I was going into teaching I had a subject I was passionate about that was being cut left and right from schools OR a subject that I enjoyed and was good at that kept expanding. I didn't choose the passion and then bemoan programs being cut, pay being cut, being forced to teach something else. I picked the one with a better pay opportunity and stability. Welcome to taking responsibility for your actions in the grown up world.

Very curious what specific instructions you are given as to where to take your trash, recycles and wet towels.

I would be interested in this as well. I have an 11 night stay in September and might consider only having one day of housekeeping mid-trip. I do like the sheets changed at least once a week, even at home, so I wouldn't want to go the full 11 nights without a refresh. I wonder if they are having issues getting and retaining housekeepers? I imagine it's not a job most people are willing to work - probably more often it's a case of necessity and as soon as they can find something else, they're gone. It's certainly a hard job and not one I would be willing to take myself.

I would be interested in this as well. I have an 11 night stay in September and might consider only having one day of housekeeping mid-trip. I do like the sheets changed at least once a week, even at home, so I wouldn't want to go the full 11 nights without a refresh. I wonder if they are having issues getting and retaining housekeepers? I imagine it's not a job most people are willing to work - probably more often it's a case of necessity and as soon as they can find something else, they're gone. It's certainly a hard job and not one I would be willing to take myself.

Disney is always hiring Housekeeping and at the moment offering $500 Signing Bonus so I would say yes, they are having retaining issues. I think it's likely a complicated situation, and not sure this new offering will help them retain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter