Disney's PORT ORLEANS FRENCH QUARTER RESORT Information & Questions

Had FQ booked for November, had not heard anything from Disney about moving resorts.
I called yesterday, took nearly 2 hours on hold.
Disney would only do CBR and could not guarantee first floor for a walking disability.
I paid the upcharge to Yacht Club.

Had FQ booked for November, had not heard anything from Disney about moving resorts.
I called yesterday, took nearly 2 hours on hold.
Disney would only do CBR and could not guarantee first floor for a walking disability.
I paid the upcharge to Yacht Club.

Same thing happened to me with our Sept reservation...I emailed guest services and by the time (3 weeks) they got back to me I had gone ahead and cancelled...when they did call me they said I would have been fine showing up and just requesting a first floor room for accessibility needs but I was afraid to take a chance....as I’ve posted already I did end up booking with the AP discount. Then today Inalso received an email pin code...

We are booked for French Quarter June 2021. I spoke with Disney today about options to switch. I was given the impression FQ may open-cast member was very hesitant to give me other resort options (other than CBR). I had to push for prices if we were to switch to Coronado Springs or Deluxe resort. Cast Member kept saying FQ may possibly be open for our stay. Anyone heard any rumors for FQ possibly opening?

We haven't made any plans for this year. We live in Canada and still would have to quarantine for 14 days upon returning home so it's rather difficult to take that much time off work....I'm a frontline worker. No one knows when that might change. What our hope is is that we will be able to take a holiday in October. POFQ is my favourite resort so I hope it's open when we get back to WDW. The last time we stayed there it is was my DD and I for 10 glorious days. We had the perfect room in building 5 and every day I took my morning tea, sat outside the food court in a shady spot with a book and the jazz music playing. I sat and watched everyone scurrying to get the bus while I had my feet up relaxing and just enjoying the exact place I was in. I dream about those mornings.

These two threads were always some of the busiest in this section of the DIS, and almost always in the first page. But with them both of the resorts being closed for nine months, and no sign of a re-opening date, the threads are tending to gather dust at the moment just like the Resorts. 😢

Andre

Last edited:
These two threads were always some of the busiest in this section of the DIS, and almost always in the first page. But with them both of the resorts being closed for nine months, and so sign of a re-opening date, the threads are tending to gather dust at the moment just like the Resorts. 😢

Andre

Andre' you have *so* much insight and knowledge about our favorite Resorts, so first of all, I want to say officially and publicly and with true affection for all that you do: Thank you for loving POFQ & POR so much that you have created a deep, rich resource of information at your website (portorleans.org) as well as keeping us all up-to-date on these Resorts that are so dear - and truly our "home away from home" for so many of us!

You are a truly a treasure to me, and so many, and I hope you know how very much you are appreciated!

°o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o°

Now... I have *questions*! LOL

What actually is happening at POFQ/POR while they are shuttered? Do we know? (TBH, I always wondered what happened after the 9/11 closure - I presume it's a lot of the same procedures?)

I have guessed that groundskeepers are keeping the landscaping in good shape, and it would be an easy time to do any outside building maintenance (although historically they have been quite well maintained).

But do they keep the air conditioners running in all of the rooms and buildings, to help keep mold and mildew at bay?

Does someone go around and run the water in the bathrooms and kitchens, and flush the toilets on a regular basis, or did they "winterize" entire buildings, and drain the pipes and cap the sewer connections?

And I would hazard a guess that all of the pools and fountains have been drained...?

Are the beds all stripped and dust-covered? Or are they waiting for us, with pristine white sheeting?

Did they take all of the food, beverages, candy and snacks out of the shops? Is the merchandise frozen in time from (now nearly a year ago!) or did they take it all down to the outlet stores, and leave the tables and displays bare?

As sad as it is to think of the Resorts as closed and inaccessible, I would be happy just to stroll among the buildings, and listen to the music... and sit and watch the sunlight sparkle on the water in the fountains...

I feel pretty certain that Disney has a whole plan/procedure in place, and that they are taking excellent care of our beloved Resorts until they are ready to be opened again. Like everyone else here, I'm just eager to get back Home again 🙂

We are booked for French Quarter June 2021. I spoke with Disney today about options to switch. I was given the impression FQ may open-cast member was very hesitant to give me other resort options (other than CBR). I had to push for prices if we were to switch to Coronado Springs or Deluxe resort. Cast Member kept saying FQ may possibly be open for our stay. Anyone heard any rumors for FQ possibly opening?

I’m confused... you were able to book FQ, or you are wondering if it will be available? If you were able to reserve a room that would mean it is available, right? Maybe not online yet for all, but they might be slowly planning to open it back up.

We have a Dance Event in June with POR as our resort (with the caveat that the agency won’t confirm the resort until it gets closer, i.e., Disney might move us all that are slated for POR, but that is where they tentatively put us). POR is not available for booking by the general public. I am thinking for now that is how they are handling/limiting crowds and then using some of the currently closed resorts for event bookings as they start to add them back into the mix. We were at CBR last year before they cancelled/closed.

I'm still booked for FQ for late April and haven't heard anything. I am undecided about calling or waiting for them to call me. Anyone know what resorts are being offered now?

I'm still booked for FQ for late April and haven't heard anything. I am undecided about calling or waiting for them to call me. Anyone know what resorts are being offered now?
I would call. Availability and room types will be limited the closer to arrival date you get. I doubt FOFQ will be open by then...unfortunately.

Andre' you have *so* much insight and knowledge about our favorite Resorts, so first of all, I want to say officially and publicly and with true affection for all that you do: Thank you for loving POFQ & POR so much that you have created a deep, rich resource of information at your website (portorleans.org) as well as keeping us all up-to-date on these Resorts that are so dear - and truly our "home away from home" for so many of us!

You are a truly a treasure to me, and so many, and I hope you know how very much you are appreciated!

°o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o°

Now... I have *questions*! LOL

What actually is happening at POFQ/POR while they are shuttered? Do we know? (TBH, I always wondered what happened after the 9/11 closure - I presume it's a lot of the same procedures?)

I have guessed that groundskeepers are keeping the landscaping in good shape, and it would be an easy time to do any outside building maintenance (although historically they have been quite well maintained).

But do they keep the air conditioners running in all of the rooms and buildings, to help keep mold and mildew at bay?

Does someone go around and run the water in the bathrooms and kitchens, and flush the toilets on a regular basis, or did they "winterize" entire buildings, and drain the pipes and cap the sewer connections?

And I would hazard a guess that all of the pools and fountains have been drained...?

Are the beds all stripped and dust-covered? Or are they waiting for us, with pristine white sheeting?

Did they take all of the food, beverages, candy and snacks out of the shops? Is the merchandise frozen in time from (now nearly a year ago!) or did they take it all down to the outlet stores, and leave the tables and displays bare?

As sad as it is to think of the Resorts as closed and inaccessible, I would be happy just to stroll among the buildings, and listen to the music... and sit and watch the sunlight sparkle on the water in the fountains...

I feel pretty certain that Disney has a whole plan/procedure in place, and that they are taking excellent care of our beloved Resorts until they are ready to be opened again. Like everyone else here, I'm just eager to get back Home again 🙂
I don’t know about the rest, but for sure they need to keep the AC going to prevent mold. Probably at a setting that will be just enough to prevent mold.

I'm sorry I was searching this thread, what is it that they are redoing at POFQ? Is it just closed because of covid? or are they revamping the resort? TIIA

I'm sorry I was searching this thread, what is it that they are redoing at POFQ? Is it just closed because of covid? or are they revamping the resort? TIIA

Closed because of COVID - along with half of the other non-DVC resort hotels run by Walt Disney World. Some have re-opening dates over the next four months, but six (including the two Port Orleans resorts) still have nothing announced.

Andre

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter