Disney's PORT ORLEANS FRENCH QUARTER RESORT Information & Questions

How long did POFQ stay closed after 9/11?

From https://www.portorleans.org/history.php
After the terrible events in New York in September 2001, the subsequent drop in tourist demand meant that Disney needed to urgently reduce some of its resort capacity. From late November 2001, French Quarter was completely closed and Riverside’s capacity was severely curtailed to around 350 rooms. Guests who had bookings were contacted and offered alternative resort choices. The Sassagoula River Cruise was also taken out of service for several months. As demand picked up again, French Quarter was reopened for new bookings starting from 31 May 2002. Disney apparently used the six month downtime to undertake renovation work on the food court.

A year later, with demand presumably still lower than normal, French Quarter was once again closed for more extensive update and renovation work to all guest rooms from 4 May 2003 until 21 March 2004,

The current shutdown is very different. As far as I'm aware, no major refurbishment work other than general ongoing maintenance and upkeep has taken place.

Andre

I'm honestly hoping that they'll start to ramp up Port Orleans for their 50th Anniversary kick off. But I guess we shall see!

That seems logical. From what I’ve been reading around the boards some people have stated they have spoken to their travel agents and the gossip is 2022 bookings are in high demand. Makes me think it’ll ramp up around the 50th and the POFQ will hopefully open up.

That seems logical. From what I’ve been reading around the boards some people have stated they have spoken to their travel agents and the gossip is 2022 bookings are in high demand. Makes me think it’ll ramp up around the 50th and the POFQ will hopefully open up.
Totally. You know there's going to be pent-up demand next year for sure. I'm kind of scared about crowds in the parks!

Every time I see this thread pop up on my alerts I hope it is to announce the opening. Right now I am just hoping for December 2022. We have a back up picked up (Caribbean Beach), but I really want French Quarter for my 40th bday celebration. It's the resort my mom and I went to on our trips and where I stayed my first trip back after her passing. So it holds a really special place in my heart.

I am doing our budget based off of POFQ just to be optimistic.

Every time I see this thread pop up on my alerts I hope it is to announce the opening. Right now I am just hoping for December 2022. We have a back up picked up (Caribbean Beach), but I really want French Quarter for my 40th bday celebration. It's the resort my mom and I went to on our trips and where I stayed my first trip back after her passing. So it holds a really special place in my heart.

I am doing our budget based off of POFQ just to be optimistic.

What are you budgeting for the price of the room?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter