Disney's PORT ORLEANS FRENCH QUARTER RESORT Information & Questions

Looking at potentially booking a short trip for this coming January and can't find any availability at POFQ for a 4 night stay with a check-in between Jan 20-26. I'm so disappointed. Wonder why they would be at capacity during that time (which I thought was a slow time of year). Bummer.

Looking at potentially booking a short trip for this coming January and can't find any availability at POFQ for a 4 night stay with a check-in between Jan 20-26. I'm so disappointed. Wonder why they would be at capacity during that time (which I thought was a slow time of year). Bummer.
You may have been outdone by a special offer that includes those dates. I just looked for you and there's nothing at FQ with the discount offer between Jan 20 and 26 for 4 nights. Only POR and, of course, other resorts.

The Art Festival at EPCOT also starts about that time. It’s becoming more popular each year.

Also, I don’t know if this is true but we have found it’s easier to find and book 5, 7 or 10 day stays. See if you can get your dates (remember what @andrewilley said above - try to start with a Sunday or Monday) and see what you find.

And remember that POFQ is the smallest (but very popular, and loved) Resort Hotel at WDW.

We will be at FQ during the period of pool closure. Is it typical to still have access to the guest laundry (adjacent to the pool), or will it also be closed?

Also, anyone know the height of the beds?
Or if you're there at the moment, perhaps you could measure it with something that has a standard size - eg four times iPhone15 Pro 😀🙏

TIA 😊

We will be at FQ during the period of pool closure. Is it typical to still have access to the guest laundry (adjacent to the pool), or will it also be closed?
you don't need to go through the pool area to get to the laundry room, so the pool refurbish should not impact the laundry facility

...Also, anyone know the height of the beds?
Or if you're there at the moment, perhaps you could measure it with something that has a standard size - eg four times iPhone15 Pro 😀🙏

TIA 😊

A dollar bill (or any US paper currency) is 6 inches long, in case you ever need a ruler!
...although I never carry cash anymore!

(Also, do you need the height of a standard bed, or the bed in a handicapped room which is usually a different height? I have the measurements for a handicapped room, but I will be *zero* help on a standard room!)

How accurate are the renovation timelines (historically)? I know there's construction that will close down the pool until April 2024, but does Disney meet these dates?

We're going to be booking for early May 2024 (first and second weeks), and POFQ is on the list - but concerned the pool might still be out of service.
Looking at POFQ for the spring/ summer of 2024. What are they doing to the pool? A refurb or total overhaul?

Reporting back on my November stay. It was my first time at this resort and I thought it was great. I liked how compact it was and felt it was very pretty. We were in building four. The boat to DS took longer than I would have liked (and where it docks seems fairly far away from the main restaurants) so I didn’t feel it was as much of a perk as it sounded. Loved the food court and the gift shop.

I’d stay there again, if the offer was right, but I didn’t fall in love the way I did at AKL the first time I did WDW - we went there for Jiko for dinner this time and my face lit up when we entered. It was like coming home. So needless to say we’ve booked for AKL next time.

Just back from a week at POFQ, which we enjoyed.

A couple of changes from the last time we were there:

(1) The laundry has a different payment method now. You can scan the QR code on the machine and enter your info or you can download an app and use that. Take your phone to the laundry with you--you'll need it.

(2) There are some changes to the food choices at Sass. The main one I noticed was that the plant-based chickpea "tuna" salad sandwich is no longer available. Instead there's a curried chickpea salad, which was quite spicy. Also, for lunch/dinner, there's a plant-based meat loaf with mashed potatoes and gravy. Warning: this is very mushroomy.

We were in building 6, overlooking the river. Great room, beautiful view. As in the other buildings we've stayed in (2 and 3) there was very little water pressure. We had housekeeping every other day.

Bus service was excellent.

For those of you sensitive to aromas, the lobby area is scented with something relatively strong, so I never lingered there.

Any questions, I'm happy to respond.

I’ve seen a post on facebook about the pool refurbishment being delayed, but it doesn’t clarify wether it’s for Riverside or POFQ. Does anyone know about this? Will this mean the pool might be closed in May when we’re due for our next trip? IMG_0115.png

I’ve seen a post on facebook about the pool refurbishment being delayed, but it doesn’t clarify wether it’s for Riverside or POFQ.
It's for FQ, where the pool refurbishment has been listed as being between January and April for over a year now. This was from a conversation with a manager I believe, so it might just be that they are fixing down a more accurate timeframe for the work to start?

Andre

I hope so. I believe it's in need !
I don’t want to see POFQ lose the charm and originality of the rooms; I fear that like every single WDW Resort Hotel that has been touched lately, we will see plain, boring hotel rooms that frankly are nothing more than glorified Holiday Inn Express clones.

Does the Resort need “attention”? Maybe; Florida is hard on the exterior of structures and sun damage alone accumulates there very quickly. But the room interiors have already had much of the Imagineering that brought the charm & ambiance of the real French Quarter stripped away.

If they ruin the room interiors, it will be very, very sad indeed.

I don’t want to see POFQ lose the charm and originality of the rooms

Honestly I feel that has already happened in the last few rounds of changes. The rooms were not so much rethemed last time, but more dethemed. Removal of the borders at the tops of walls, boring stark white bed coverings, no themed pillows, dull laminate flooring, even the curtains were generally toned down. There are a few nice details such as the bedheads being retain and new light fittings, and some added amenities like the USB sockets, bigger TV and a vanity mirror - but otherwise there has been very little positive to note.

1703754041228.png

1703754926434.png

Andre

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter