Disney's WILDERNESS LODGE Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven’t tried Artist Point yet. We’re considering it. I’ve been to Whispering Canyon several times. We love Trails End and with the close prox we plan on a couple of meals there.
We, too, enjoy TE and enjoy the walk to get there and back. It's peaceful, often replete with wildlife, and is a good way to burn off a few calories. AP is an excellent restaurant: wonderful ambiance, good food, superb service.

My DD works at WL so I do have first-hand knowledge. Geyser Point, unfortunately, stopped serving breakfast several weeks ago, EXCEPT for Muesli (granola, yogurt & toppings) and pastries at the bar. Whether that will change seasonally (for Spring Break crowds, etc), she doesn't know.

In addition to pastries do they also sell coffee?

We, too, enjoy TE and enjoy the walk to get there and back. It's peaceful, often replete with wildlife, and is a good way to burn off a few calories. AP is an excellent restaurant: wonderful ambiance, good food, superb service.

We've always had very enjoyable food at AP but never good service. Another of those YMMV instances I believe. It has kept us away for awhile now and have gone to other restaurants that servers haven't left us sitting for long periods of time and where we haven't been seated back in the middle of no where. You know - when we request window view and get a table in the middle back by the kitchen entry. :P Just giving you a hard time sleepy but that actually has been our experience at AP. I thought it was yours as well until you wrote a complaint and spoke with the manager?

In addition to pastries do they also sell coffee?

Good question! My DD says she’s not sure - she hasn’t seen it, but that doesn’t mean it’s not available. She isn’t working at WL today so she can’t check. If she finds out for sure, I’ll update!

We've always had very enjoyable food at AP but never good service. Another of those YMMV instances I believe. It has kept us away for awhile now and have gone to other restaurants that servers haven't left us sitting for long periods of time and where we haven't been seated back in the middle of no where. You know - when we request window view and get a table in the middle back by the kitchen entry. :P Just giving you a hard time sleepy but that actually has been our experience at AP. I thought it was yours as well until you wrote a complaint and spoke with the manager?

Now, gotta comment on this experience. It's critical to note the TIME FRAME.....
Here is why....
About 2016? AP brought in a total KILLER Manager. Their BEST "turn around" person - Viviana Altesor. The results have been OUTSTANDING.

We've had the pleasure of knowing Viviana from Citrico's, V&A, Narcoossee's. She went to work ON AP upon arrival. From about late 2016 to present? It shows. This Woman is brilliant. AP, a Sig we once avoided, has done a total 180. Significantly? They have engineered a WONDERFUL menu that does not "level" along DDP lines. Oh, DDP still valid - but one can now go beyond DDP limits and get a REALLY good dinner.

Please - if you have not BEEN to AP in the last two years? Consider it? Sandy & I are booked for our APR 2018 vacation.... and will book for our NOV 2018 vacation once our 180 hits :).

All personal opinion - I'm not necessarily right, no one else is necessarily wrong.

Now, gotta comment on this experience. It's critical to note the TIME FRAME.....
Here is why....
About 2016? AP brought in a total KILLER Manager. Their BEST "turn around" person - Viviana Altesor. The results have been OUTSTANDING.

We've had the pleasure of knowing Viviana from Citrico's, V&A, Narcoossee's. She went to work ON AP upon arrival. From about late 2016 to present? It shows. This Woman is brilliant. AP, a Sig we once avoided, has done a total 180. Significantly? They have engineered a WONDERFUL menu that does not "level" along DDP lines. Oh, DDP still valid - but one can now go beyond DDP limits and get a REALLY good dinner.

Please - if you have not BEEN to AP in the last two years? Consider it? Sandy & I are booked for our APR 2018 vacation.... and will book for our NOV 2018 vacation once our 180 hits :).

All personal opinion - I'm not necessarily right, no one else is necessarily wrong.

It has now been longer than that since I've eaten there, instead choosing to avoid the service snafus and just get a lite dinner at Territory Lounge. I've figured it's about time to try again so we'll give it a shot. ::yes::

Here is why....

I have to agree- we have eaten there the past 2 summers and it's been wonderful. Last July, we had a party of 20 and had no issues with service there- after having had some at other locations. I actually spoke to Viviana when I made the reservation since it was such a large party, and remember meeting her the summer before when it was just DH, DS and I. One of our favorite places to eat now.

I used to enjoy the nature trail that hugs the lakeshore, saw deer, bunnies, always hoped to see an armadillo but haven’t. I understand that trail is closed now and only the paved trail left?

I’ll have to take a look at AP menu again. I’m not into buffalo etc. And I live in the pacific NW so salmon etc here, it is different than the Atlantic salmon. So many glowing reviews I may have to re-think.

I’ll have to take a look at AP menu again. I’m not into buffalo etc. And I live in the pacific NW so salmon etc here, it is different than the Atlantic salmon. So many glowing reviews I may have to re-think.

They do serve Alaskan or pacific salmon there from our experience. Perhaps it isn't all the time but it is what we've been offered and/or ordered although as mentioned it's been a little while since we dined there. We used to own a restaurant that specialized in Alaskan salmon and tend to not order if it's atlantic.

They do serve Alaskan or pacific salmon there from our experience. Perhaps it isn't all the time but it is what we've been offered and/or ordered although as mentioned it's been a little while since we dined there. We used to own a restaurant that specialized in Alaskan salmon and tend to not order if it's atlantic.
Thanks. Maybe I worded that wrong, I assumed they serve the pacific salmon and what I meant to say is I get it at home. But just went to have a look at the menu and it does look good. Better options than I remember. I think the halibut May be calling my name, lol.

That's so odd about your experience there. We've almost always gotten a table by the windows, but perhaps one reason is because we tend to go early, usually around 5:30 and no later than 6:00. Our issues at AP began a few years ago when we had a couple of bad services and just so-so food. Then, for a couple of visits, the service would be good but the food subpar and then vice versa. We wound up speaking with the manager with whom we've kept in touch, Gary Lee. Our next visit was superb, as have been the visits since, roughly the last two years. I'm not sure of the role between Viviana and Gary; perhaps they work together--they both have the same title. Regardless, our last few visits have been topnotch. However, I will freely admit that any restaurant can just not jibe with someone. Some love Citricos, but our experience has been mediocre--same with Paddlefish. ;)
I used to enjoy the nature trail that hugs the lakeshore, saw deer, bunnies, always hoped to see an armadillo but haven’t. I understand that trail is closed now and only the paved trail left?
That is correct. No more sandy nature trail, just the paved bike/walking path. While that is fine in and of itself, it's certainly not as unique or "wilderness-y" as the nature trail. I'm not sure, however, that my days of exploring that trail are over. I mean, I've run the trail so many times, have seen herds of deer, watched the fireworks at night (along side CMs who had taken a golf cart down to an opening in the brush along the lake), and walked the trail hand-in-hand with my Luv. I won't easily let go of it. . .

As for the salmon, I do believe most times it's NW salmon. In fact, during a few weeks in mid to late May, they offer the prized Copper River salmon from AK. I was fortunate to live in AK for four years, and I still carry the memories of some of the best seafood anywhere in the U.S., and that comes from a man who has lived on four coasts.

Last edited:
That is correct. No more sandy nature trail, just the paved bike/walking path. While that is fine in and of itself, it's certainly not as unique or "wilderness-y" as the nature trail. I'm not sure, however, that my days of exploring that trail are over. I mean, I've run the trail so many times, have seen herds of deer, watched the fireworks at night (along side CMs who had taken a golf cart down to an opening in the brush along the lake), and walked the trail hand-in-hand with my Luv. I won't easily let go of it. . .

As for the salmon, I do believe most times it's NW salmon. In fact, during a few weeks in mid to late May, they offer the prized Copper River salmon from AK. I was fortunate to live in AK for four years, and I still carry the memories of some of the best seafood anywhere in the U.S., and that comes from a man who has lived on four coasts.

I hope they re open the Nature Trail. One of the things I look forward to while staying at WL, and occasionally even when I’m not staying at the lodge!

You can walk to Fort Wilderness? How nice! How long does it take?

I have to agree- we have eaten there the past 2 summers and it's been wonderful. Last July, we had a party of 20 and had no issues with service there- after having had some at other locations. I actually spoke to Viviana when I made the reservation since it was such a large party, and remember meeting her the summer before when it was just DH, DS and I. One of our favorite places to eat now.
Mind recommending any dishes at aP?

We've had the steamed mussels, shrimp cocktail, filet mignon, and diver sea scallops- all were really good. I'd also highly recommend the warm donuts or the almond cookies for dessert, with an advantage to the donuts because they are served with a warm chocolate dipping sauce.

Here is why....
We had a wonderful dinner at Artist Point last May. The staff was great and the food was good. We are going back there at the end of February. :)

used to enjoy the nature trail that hugs the lakeshore, saw deer, bunnies, always hoped to see an armadillo but haven’t. I understand that trail is closed now and only the paved trail left?
I think the trail is now closed for good. It had been open when we were there July but they had closed it off when we were there in October. We used to love it, too. But we still look forward to walking to FW along the paved path. We like to walk there for breakfast at Trails End. :)

You can walk to Fort Wilderness? How nice! How long does it take?
It is about a 20 minute walk, or less, to Fort Wilderness. The trail starts near the WL bus stop and ends next to the pony stable, which is near the restaurants. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter