• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney's WILDERNESS LODGE Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm starting to wonder if I was misinformed from a Cast Member about the renovations on the 7th floor.. she sounded very confident when she told me. Seems odd that nobody was notified.

Disney is notoriously weird with their guest notifications of refurbishments. Some guests will get multiple notifications and yet most will get nothing.

This is like Yacht Club a few years back. We'd book thinking we'd be in a new room. We'd get there, have the same badly in need of an update room situation. Then we'd book again certain that next time it would be done, only to check in and NOPE. We finally gave up and never have been back to Yacht Club.

But PP does have a good point
Once it's official, especially when it started, they put a notice on MDE.

This is not always the case. Case in point: the ongoing room renovations and exterior maintenance/painting at AKL. No notification and the renovations are both ongoing and have been for many months. They are expected to continue for some months as well. There is no notice on the WDW website nor in MDE, nor has there been.

SW

It looks like a nature view room to me. We've had that view, just on a lower floor. :)

Thanks! We used to get the old "woods view" rooms but I haven't been on that side since the cabins were built. We've had courtyard views on our last few trips, which has been very nice, but looking forward to a "new" view this time :)

Hello! Just changed our reservation to Copper Creek for December 1-7. We were booked at Beach Club but wanted to be at WL during Christmastime because it’s so cozy. Looking forward to reading up on this resort!

Been awhile since I've posted in this thread. :wave:

Lately we've been on a CSR/Tower kick, but I always look at WL prices and quickly discover I'm too late to the party to book. I truly miss the Lodge.

With this rumored (?) refurb, I wonder if they'll make more rooms with King beds? I think a CM once told me there's only a handful - 3 or 4 standard King rooms on the non-BRV side. It's just a preference for us and I think would make us more comfortable in the rooms.

Beautiful pic, @WawaCoffee!

Well, we are here now. Arrived last Sunday; Monday the renovations did officially start; they are working on the 7th floor now and will be moving down as they finish each floor.

The VP suite is first, and we were told that it is being enlarged. Walk-in showers are being added to a lot of rooms, and bunk beds will be removed. The Lodge Guest rooms will have a similar "feel" to Copper Creek, with a "focal wall" that is covered in wallpaper.

I know all these things, because we got to talk to managers A LOT on Tuesday (technically yesterday) after the fire alarms went off around 11:00 am, and the entire Lodge building was evacuated. We were doing laundry Tuesday morning, and so had not yet headed out to the Parks. Apparently a construction worker accidently cut something that was related to the fire suppression systems (think sprinklers) and so the entire building alarmed, the elevators went to the lowest floor, opened and then locked open, and everyone upstairs had to evacuate using the stairs. We saw one family carry down all of their suitcases and belongings because they were waiting for the elevator (to check out); they were exhausted from the stress. We were in 1034, the closest room (it's an HA Roll in shower room) to the Otter Pond doors, and so everyone stood out on the bridge and sidewalk while we waited for the building to be cleared. We spoke with one of the consgtruction company managers who had apparently been on his way into the building when the alarms went off. He said that it would take "a while" to determine what happened, and if it was related to the reno. (Spoiler alert: it was LOL)

It took about 12 minutes for Reedy Creek to arrive, shut off the alarms, get the elevators back in service, and let everyone know it was OK to come back in. Not bad, considering the size of the building.

We had been back inside for maybe 15 minutes when the alarms went off *again*, but this time it stopped after less than a minute. So, OK, we continued to get ready to go out...

But then...

The power went out in our room. My (adult) daughter popped her head out into the hall, to see what was going on, and noticed that the power was still on in the hallways. She went around to the laundry room and Roaring Fork, to make sure; they all had power.

Almost 4 hours later, they finally moved us to a roll-in shower villa in Boulder Ridge around 3:30, after the electricians told us that they were still trying to figure out why we lost power. We also found out that 3 other rooms (1 of which was occupied by Guests) were affected as well. They don't know exactly what happened to take out the electricity to those 4 rooms, but a lot of the activity seemed to center around the men's restroom next to Roaring Fork.

Management refunded our room for the night, and as I said above, moved us into a 1 bedroom villa (3rd floor) in Boulder Ridge. Not sure what happened with the other family; the manager we were working with said that they were not in the room, but assured us that they would also be accommodated if the power was not back on by the time they returned to the lodge.

Otherwise, the Lodge is still breathtakingly beautiful. If we didn't have direct knowledge of it, I might not have known that the 7th floor was closed for the renovation; it's all very low-key. The manager we were working with did say that they would be changing out the "Welcome" letters in the rooms "very soon" to reflect the renovations and the possible Guest impact. There are (as of late Tuesday evening) no scrim or construction walls up in the balconies in the lobby.

Anyone know how long to takes them to go from floor to floor with renovations? What's it likely to be like there in June?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter