Disney's YACHT & BEACH CLUB RESORTS Information & Questions

Bumping your request for advice.

I haven't traveled with either group you are asking about but if you need advice for traveling with teens or tweens, I'm your gal.

I think we have some suggestions by Ninja Mom for traveling with people with mobility issues in Post 14 on Page 1 so you may want to check that out.

::yes::

Thanks, Dee I'll check out Ninja Mom's post. She always has such good (and unique) travel tips!

Jeanne

page 374

:welcome:

I'll add you to the Be Our Guest list we keep on Page 1.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

:cool1:

I'll add you to the list.

:woohoo:

Thanks so much for your review. Since we get this question every so often, I hope you don't mind if I add your response to Page 1, Post 5.

Continuing to wish you safe travels as you make your way home!

:goodvibes

I know it is not often that the pool closes due to low temperatures, but it doesn't surprise me. I didn't know about Hurricane Hanna's closing down as well.

:scratchin

I'll add you to the Be Our Guest list.

These resorts are definitely great choices for families with teens. The pool complex is awesome and it is great to be able to walk to two of the theme parks.

:thumbsup2

Quote away if it's helpful!

We are about an hour outside Roanoke. James is still driving and I suspect he will drive the whole way. More dis for me, right? Aria has been singing "Mama, don't beat little Buford," for ten minutes now. That was a follow-up to "watch me whip, now watch me nae-nae."

Thanks, Dee I'll check out Ninja Mom's post. She always has such good (and unique) travel tips!

Jeanne

Hi I've travelled plenty with young kids but not with older folk.
Main piece of advice I can give is to never underestimate the power of ice-cream!
Great for bribery purposes, "just walk/wait a littler longer and then we can get ice-cream" and also great to cool down during those hot florida days :)
Frequent breaks whether they be back at the hotel or simply cooling off in the air conditioning in either a restaurant or some rides-Ellen in EPCOT and COP in MK are particularly good for this age group.
We also carried a wee bag of small toys so that ride queues and sit down meals went smoother for everyone.
Also we learnt not to, by making the mistake of booking it, reserve a character breakfast too early in the trip! My eldest 2 loved characters from no age so we stupidly assumed number 3 would too! Big NO! He freaked when they came in the dining room even if not near him and at one point I thought he was going to tip the high chair over he so was so keen to get away:scared1: That was the cue for my husband to leave with him and quite possibly the most expensive breakfast we've ever eaten as the older 2 kids were so worried about their wee brother they lost their appetites soon after :( I will say this though, our server was lovely and packed us a bag of pastries as she knew we hadn't really eaten :)
I'd let kids warm up to characters for a day or so if they haven't met them on past trips before booking a character meal.
Hope this helps :)
I imagine most of these tips are good for older folk too now that I think of it-I know ice-cream (or Grey Goose slushies work for me most of the time :rolleyes1

Last edited:

Hi I've travelled plenty with young kids but not with older folk.
Main piece of advice I can give is to never underestimate the power of ice-cream!
Great for bribery purposes, "just walk/wait a littler longer and then wee can get ice-cream" and also great to cool down during those hot florida days :)
Frequent breaks whether they be back at the hotel or simply cooling off in the air conditioning in either a restaurant or some rides-Ellen in EPCOT and COP in MK are particularly good for this age group.
We also carried a wee bag of small toys so that ride queues and sit down meals went smoother for everyone.
Hope this helps :)

I imagine most of these tips are good for older folk too now that I think of it-I know ice-cream (or Grey Goose slushies work for me most of the time :rolleyes1

When my boys were younger I too used to carry a bag of toys and other distractions to keep them busy. Now that I am older and crabbier my family has resorted to using this diversion on ME! If you look in Ninja Mom's bag you'll find things like a computer tablet, a deck of cards for when the battery in my cheap-o, off market tablet dies (My family doesn't love me, what can I say?? :confused3 ) and brain teasers like "balance your check book" or "name low calorie foods that are actually enjoyable to eat". After I write down pickles I'm at a loss for more foods so that game is over quickly.

Deep down in the bottom of the bag is a lead lined box that must only be opened in EXTREME EMERGENCIES! I am talking those times when Ninja Mom is in full beast mode. If you have the lock codes and you dare to open the door you will find those Starbucks coffee crystal packs with triple caffeine, those little liquor bottles that they used to have in a hotel mini bar (LOL remember them??) and the little bags of peanuts that they serve on Southwest flights (the family is cheap, remember?) In times of homicidal tendencies my family will assemble and put together the launch codes that will open this box. Then they will hurl the packs of peanuts and liquor bottles at me like grenades, hoping one makes a direct hit.

Normally I would empty these mini liquor bottles in my refillable mug but during these times of extreme duress there is no time for socially responsible subterfuge. I just rip the tops off and chug. When people give me the stink eye I just lie to myself and pretend I am at "Food and Whine".

After about 7 or 8 of these Mommy's little helpers my family steals an unattended stroller, loads me in it and we continue our trip. As a bonus I get to take a nice nap as we stroll and roll along the parks. The down side is that during these naps my family tries to dump me in the stroller parking lot outside of an attraction and "forget" me when they are done. That's where having those I.D. tags on your shoelaces really comes in handy. Even though I am "Napping" the CM's that don't immediately recognize me (Oh Jesus HER again!) have a name to tell the staff working at the "Drunk Adult" Lost and (unfortunately) found. That's how I got to meet that drunk guy that climbed the Pyramid in Mexico during Food and Whine :thumbsup2

I'm sure every family has a member that could use one of these bags. Oddly enough you never see the "Cranky Adult Diversion" (CAD) bag listed on those enormous "Disney Neurotic Packing List" sites. Just to be safe, throw one of these bags in your suitcase the next time you plan on taking a trip to WDW. At the very least you can use it on yourself and, thanks to that refillable mug, the children will be none the wiser, at least until they have to exit their stroller and start pushing Mom or Dad around the park.

~NM

Last edited:
I'm beyond excited to officially ask..... May I be added to the BOG list?!?!?? :yay::banana::beach::wave2:::yes::

I'm a big time lurker here .... I've read through everything and I'm constantly soaking it all in. Our last trip was sept 2014 at Boardwalk and we fell in love with the area. We can't wait until we experience BC!!! Our dates are November 29-December 9 2016.

I may have convinced my husband to stay at the BC our next trip. He thought AKV was a bit run down looking. I thought it was fine, but I'd forgotten how dark everything is there. It's not like I worry too much about makeup at Disney, or anywhere, really, but I really needed one of those makeup mirrors. I'd say my skills of persuasion are that good since I talked him in to stopping last night. But that was really due to my having a Marriot Rewards Visa and the room not costing anything. Sad but true. Still - I'd love to stay at the BC again. The kids were really talking up the pool. And I know the BC villas are up for refurb. Yay me!

All I can say is that POR and POFQ are the only 2 resorts that do in fact read every faxed room requests. All other resorts will read them if, and only if, they have time. All the others will use what's attached to the reservation either by phone or online check in first. Not trying to argue, but I do have first hand knowledge of this. So for others reading this, it's best to cover your bases and have the same requests you fax in added to your reservation via phone.
Perhaps I've just been lucky over the past 5-6 trips. Maybe I should head to Vegas!

Hi, we are booked BC CL for May 7th to 14th. The 11th is my sons 10th bday. We are going to Hoop Dee Doo Review for dinner. I would like to get a bday cake for him. Is that something the IPO can do? I have never stated CL before. Thanks!!

I *think* we will be staying at the Yacht Club in May, I reserved a standard view Club level room with the AP discount. Originally we were going to stay at POR on a BB offer, but things change.... Anyway, the lure of the location of the YC and trying Stormalong bay swayed us. Plus, the BC and YC are the only regular (not only DVC) resorts we haven't stayed at yet (well, except AOA and we only did one all star,but I digress :P), and even though I can't decide if it's really *worth it* or not we have been spoiled by CL recently and were kind of sad to not have it. So I booked. But I don't really know much about the YC, I've only been there as a guest to check it out. It's daunting learning a new resort! I intend to read through this when i can, and I did read the entire first page and last page, and I typically follow the CL thread but had usually glossed over info on the YC since we had no plans on staying there as we usually stay in the Mk area.

That was a long winded way of asking for quick and dirty advice on standard view CL YC rooms. I thought I remembered that some of them share a balcony, and if that's true there is no way i want those rooms. What are the chances, how many of them are there? I love balconies and views, but I would rather give up the balcony than share. That's just too weird for me, it's not a shared walkway but a shared balcony. Odd. second, what are the possible views in a standard room? I realize it's SV, so it wont be great, but will they all be those terrible views of huge, flat rooftops I seem to remember seeing somewhere? A small part of why we never stayed at the YC and BC was that there seemed to be so many less desirable views unless you pay for water view, and that jump was more than we wanted to make when we started out at a moderate. Maybe those views were not CL, what are the SV CL rooms looking at? Third, what are the chances of a daybed, and if there isn't one what is there instead? We only have 4 people, but one thing that really helps us enjoy the deluxe resorts over the values and moderates is having that couch to make it seem like there is more room, and to have places to sit other than the bed. Are there any room recommendations for SV CL or things I should know - like avoid room #### because it looks right at the dumpster, etc? Or try to get #### because it has a better view even though its classified standard. You know, things like that.

TIA for your help and advice, I'll be plugging my way through the thread!

Hi, we are booked BC CL for May 7th to 14th. The 11th is my sons 10th bday. We are going to Hoop Dee Doo Review for dinner. I would like to get a bday cake for him. Is that something the IPO can do? I have never stated CL before. Thanks!!
Not sure if IPO can assist (maybe if you are just looking for a podium cake?), but if not, or you're looking for something fancier, check out this thread for all kinds of great info on ordering a cake in WDW!
http://www.disboards.com/threads/official-disney-cake-chatter-part-iv.3261922/

I *think* we will be staying at the Yacht Club in May, I reserved a standard view Club level room with the AP discount. Originally we were going to stay at POR on a BB offer, but things change.... Anyway, the lure of the location of the YC and trying Stormalong bay swayed us. Plus, the BC and YC are the only regular (not only DVC) resorts we haven't stayed at yet (well, except AOA and we only did one all star,but I digress :P), and even though I can't decide if it's really *worth it* or not we have been spoiled by CL recently and were kind of sad to not have it. So I booked. But I don't really know much about the YC, I've only been there as a guest to check it out. It's daunting learning a new resort! I intend to read through this when i can, and I did read the entire first page and last page, and I typically follow the CL thread but had usually glossed over info on the YC since we had no plans on staying there as we usually stay in the Mk area.

That was a long winded way of asking for quick and dirty advice on standard view CL YC rooms. I thought I remembered that some of them share a balcony, and if that's true there is no way i want those rooms. What are the chances, how many of them are there? I love balconies and views, but I would rather give up the balcony than share. That's just too weird for me, it's not a shared walkway but a shared balcony. Odd. second, what are the possible views in a standard room? I realize it's SV, so it wont be great, but will they all be those terrible views of huge, flat rooftops I seem to remember seeing somewhere? A small part of why we never stayed at the YC and BC was that there seemed to be so many less desirable views unless you pay for water view, and that jump was more than we wanted to make when we started out at a moderate. Maybe those views were not CL, what are the SV CL rooms looking at? Third, what are the chances of a daybed, and if there isn't one what is there instead? We only have 4 people, but one thing that really helps us enjoy the deluxe resorts over the values and moderates is having that couch to make it seem like there is more room, and to have places to sit other than the bed. Are there any room recommendations for SV CL or things I should know - like avoid room #### because it looks right at the dumpster, etc? Or try to get #### because it has a better view even though its classified standard. You know, things like that.

TIA for your help and advice, I'll be plugging my way through the thread!

JMO, If you're very bothered by the possibility you might receive a shared balcony then I would suggest not booking standard CL at the Yacht Club. Everyone has different opinions on these rooms. We didn't mind them. It's a huge balcony, it's not like you are in a small picnic shelter with tables next together. It's a rounded space. I was never aware anyone else was even out there, it was very peaceful. As I recall, standard view CL rooms were the only ones available at the time with the discount so that's why we booked.

I've gotten discounts on water/pool view at YC CL in the past, and I think those views are beautiful. I particularly love the rooms that mostly face Crescent Lake.
I don't have answers to the daybed q's. We are planning to stay at YC CL in April, we booked a garden view room. I will post on this thread about our experience when we return. :beach:

Last edited:
You can always email or call and ask the IPO. If they can't, they should give you further information about who to contact.

Not sure if IPO can assist (maybe if you are just looking for a podium cake?), but if not, or you're looking for something fancier, check out this thread for all kinds of great info on ordering a cake in WDW!
http://www.disboards.com/threads/official-disney-cake-chatter-part-iv.3261922/

Cluelyss beat me to it! The first page of Carrie's thread has the contact info by location (and what type of cake is available). Since HDDR is at Fort Wilderness, you should start by calling there: Fort Wilderness Resort* 407-824-2090.

ETA: I believe Fort Wilderness is serviced by the Contemporary bakery and that location seems to get a lot of positive reviews (flexibility, designs, etc)....

Just want to make sure I am reading your response correctly. You are booked at YC, however you are torn about wanting to change to BC to get a refurbished rooms but you are concerned with losing the guaranteed balcony that you would get at YC if you switch.
Yes, that is exactly what I am thinking. :) YC fits our needs more, but I am willing to switch if the YC rooms are needing refurb badly. We stayed at the Poly right before a refurb and were fine, but I have read so many negatives about YC that it still makes me wonder.

In more unrelated, but truthfully related to the Disney vacation experience, posts I bring you a Disney Vacation parody from the Onion that TOTALLY NAILS all that is a WDW Vacation. Add to this the announcement of a new faux park and it's all the Disney News you'd care to enjoy!

http://www.theonion.com/article/disney-world-opens-new-ordeal-kingdom-family-meltd-52230

~NM

Now that would absolutely guarantee meltdowns! But from the hundreds of meltdowns I've witnessed at WDW over the years, I'm not sure it's really needed. There are already plenty of opportunities for them to "fine tune" the existing parks to ensure even more massive meltdowns every few minutes.

That was funny, but I do hope it doesn't give Disney management any ideas!

Cluelyss beat me to it! The first page of Carrie's thread has the contact info by location (and what type of cake is available). Since HDDR is at Fort Wilderness, you should start by calling there: Fort Wilderness Resort* 407-824-2090.

ETA: I believe Fort Wilderness is serviced by the Contemporary bakery and that location seems to get a lot of positive reviews (flexibility, designs, etc)....
Thank you!!

JMO, If you're very bothered by the possibility you might receive a shared balcony then I would suggest not booking standard CL at the Yacht Club. Everyone has different opinions on these rooms. We didn't mind them. It's a huge balcony, it's not like you are in a small picnic shelter with tables next together. It's a rounded space. I was never aware anyone else was even out there, it was very peaceful. As I recall, standard view CL rooms were the only ones available at the time with the discount so that's why we booked.

I've gotten discounts on water/pool view at YC CL in the past, and I think those views are beautiful. I particularly love the rooms that mostly face Crescent Lake.
I don't have answers to the daybed q's. We are planning to stay at YC CL in April, we booked a garden view room. I will post on this thread about our experience when we return. :beach:

How many rooms with a shared balcony are there, and how many SV CL rooms are there? I knew I was going to get people with this response, and it is a reasonable one, but the price difference to a GV room is quite a bit and this trip started as an extra, "cheaper" stay at POR on a BB so we have to draw the line somewhere with price. Now we're staying deluxe and getting APs again. Any other CL and view except the WL (which I like, and we considered, but after reading about the construction going on we nixed that) was a lot more money, so this is what we decided on. I guess I'm willing to gamble, and might even be willing to do a dreaded room switch if we did get a shared balcony but could switch the next day. I just can't get over the idea that someone else could be out on our balcony, and I certainly don't want to feel like I'm trying to avoid looking into someone else's room or thinking that I might be disturbing them. A private balcony is supposed to be one of the perks of not staying value or moderate! I know my DH and I, and we likely would't go onto the balcony if someone else were out there, so knowing our luck we would get a large group that took up all of the other rooms and used it as their own personal shared balcony. Plus, we would have to worry about the kids disturbing the other rooms. Just something that does really bother me, but not enough to spend literally hundreds more to avoid the chance. But thanks for the input, food for thought. We could consider dropping the CL, the GV rooms at the BW and the YC were reasonable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter