DL & DCA -Disability Access Service Card- Post 1 update 12/7/14 DAS tied to ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I've found today is that we are definitely doing less without the GAC. After 3 hrs my son has determined he's done no matter how much we've gone on. We will definitely be doing less per visit this way.

Eta, as locals this is not a big deal but it would be for WDW.

Sorry to all DL people - I hurt my shoulder last night (rolling over in bed - the fun of EDS!), so I can't get to DL tonight. Besides, it was "cold" (SoCal cold) and raining earlier, and I am pushing myself in a manual wheelchair. The park also closes at 6, thought it is not a "party" night - but party or special event nights are very hard on me, as it is wall to wall pepple.

I will be going tomorrow, and I am definitely interested in anyone who went to DL today. So far we have had a couple people reporting less than good experiences at WDW, and I am hoping DL does better.

(I also need an ASL Interpretation Schedule for the weekend, and Sun/Mon does not come out until tomorrow)

I hope things go well in the park for everyone today, and I will report my experience tomorrow!

You will not need a DAS to use the ECV. If you have invisible conditions that are not met by using the ECV, then you may be eligible for a DAS in addition.

Oh I understand I won't need the DAS, but I have a feeling there may be changes to the wheelchair/ECV access as well and will report back. I actually hope they do implement giving out a return time like they do for Star Tours and RSR. I've waited longer in the ECV line for Pirates and Space Mountain than the regular line!!

Sorry to all DL people - I hurt my shoulder last night (rolling over in bed - the fun of EDS!), so I can't get to DL tonight. Besides, it was "cold" (SoCal cold) and raining earlier, and I am pushing myself in a manual wheelchair. The park also closes at 6, thought it is not a "party" night - but party or special event nights are very hard on me, as it is wall to wall pepple.

I will be going tomorrow, and I am definitely interested in anyone who went to DL today. So far we have had a couple people reporting less than good experiences at WDW, and I am hoping DL does better.

(I also need an ASL Interpretation Schedule for the weekend, and Sun/Mon does not come out until tomorrow)

I hope things go well in the park for everyone today, and I will report my experience tomorrow!

you don't have to say Sorry your health and safety comes first. Get better and hope you can make it to do tomorrow and all works out for you.

Sorry you hurt yourself, feel better soon! :hug:

I would expect less than smooth sailing today, and probably for the next month, until the CM's have this figured out completely as well as the people using the DAS. I am hopeful it will smooth out within the next few months and we can all move forward. :hippie:

I was briefly looking at the WDW DAS thread and saw something about a specific diagnosis (autism) being discussed. I was only asked what his issues were just like before.

It's not really a party night, a friend that works in the park told me that tonight is basically a trick or treat party for the CMs' kids. So, you probably wouldn't have wall to wall people tonight, but tomorrow should be a better day anyway, both weather and crowds. That being said, do prepare for it to be more crowded than it would normally be, due to local schools and a few nearby states having the week off. Most of the CMs that are working this week that I know say it is probably 3 times more crowded than what they would normally expect for this week. Granted that is talking to only a few people, in a few locations, but just a heads up.

I didn't go to CA today so I don't know where they are there. My son was only able to handle 3 hrs at DL today. It's now raining also so we are staying at the hotel for a while.

This is copied ( with a bit of editing to remove GAC information) from the disABILITIES FAQs thread.
It has ALWAYS been Disney's policy to tell guests who say they can't stand to wait in line. They had not been enforcing it recently and had given out GACs to guests who insisted they had trouble standing.
The DAS ((Disability Access Service) is going back to saying the accommodation for issues with stamina or standing in line is to use a mobility device and in all likelihood, guests will not get a DAS for stamina, standing or walking issues.

I have problems with standing in line or with walking. Why did Disney suggest a wheelchair of ECV (motorized scooter)?
Disney calls these "Stamina or Endurance Concerns" and the official response is to suggest a wheelchair or ECV.
If the person has problems with standing in line or with walking, a wheelchair/ECV would be a better solution than a disability card.
A trip to Disney includes a lot more walking than just what you do in line.
There will most of the time be no place to sit while in line and no guarantee it will be available only for people with disabilities.
The distance walked is not usually less with a DAS than without one, so someone who is concerned about walking or standing would do better with a mobility device and/or planning their day to hit the most popular attractions at the least busy times.
Most of the lines where you will actually standing still for long periods are the lines for shows and movies. Because those 'load' large numbers of people at a time, people have to stand waiting for the next show to 'load'. Having a Fastpass or a DAS won't change that - if each show is 14 minutes, you are going to be somewhere for 14 minutes. In many shows, much of the time in that place will be a preshow area. If you don't have a mobility device, you will generally be standing during that time.

With an ECV or wheelchair, you will always have a place to sit and can conserve energy for fun, instead of just getting around.
Having a mobility device doesn't mean you have to sit in it at all times. You can get out and walk for a while.

First of all, I wanted to say thank you to everyone for all the info, I am learning many new things today from this thread. Last year, on my son's first trip to DLR we did not know about the GAC nor were we aware at the time that his issues were not just from him being tired/cranky/out of sorts from all the walking/junk food eating but he actually has autism and ADHD. So, now I am trying to remember the things he had trouble dealing with last year, and compare with what we know now are the antecedents to meltdowns so I can tell Disney what we could use help with.

Am I correct in understanding that they didn't take photos of the person with the GAC before but will photograph the person with the DAS now? I'm wondering how the CM's would go about taking the picture of my DS7 - as he is pretty sharp kid and will wonder why they don't need to take photos of his brother or the rest of us in the first place, plus he usually doesn't like to pose in photos (every character meal photo he is in the same pose - looking half bored, half annoyed), and can get upset when stared at by others. If anyone happens to be there in the next few days and the photo is being taken I'd love to hear how they approach the kiddos to take it. I wonder if I handed them his school photo from my wallet they could photograph it or copy/scan it - it might be easier! I just am worrying about it being uncomfortable for him right off the bat.

Thanks for listening. I really appreciate getting perspective from all of the different folks posting here, not just those who experience ASD/ADHD. :goodvibes

luv2sleep said:
Main Street
New Orleans Sq
Fantasyland
Tomorrowland

Um, I was wondering if you could be a little more specific, such as by the exit of Haunted Mansion or what have you?

It would definitely help with planning what order to do rides in to minimize backtracking. This is an issue that I see being a big one, especially for those in ECVs that do need the DAS due to additional issues, as they don't have an infinite amount of battery power.

Um, I was wondering if you could be a little more specific, such as by the exit of Haunted Mansion or what have you? It would definitely help with planning what order to do rides in to minimize backtracking. This is an issue that I see being a big one, especially for those in ECVs that do need the DAS due to additional issues, as they don't have an infinite amount of battery power.

I only saw two.

Main Street was by at Central Plaza
Fantasyland is in front of The Mad Hatter

The other 2 are described on the piece of paper that I was given as:

New Orleans sq near haunted mansion
Tomorrowland near little green men store command

Ok, Space wise those make sense, but if you think about needs as well as accessible paths, the locations need some fine tuning. Hopefully they will do that.

I would also love to know where the ones in DCA are if anyone has that information.

Also, did they provide a list of attractions that you would need to get return times for? I understand that list may change from day to day, so I'm not necessarily asking for it, but I would like to know before I go all the way to a kiosk to did it that I could have gone directly to the attraction instead.

I didn't park hop today. Someone asked me if you could have a DAS return time in DL and one in CA on the card at the same time? Or do you think it's just one at a time period no matter what park you are at?

I wonder how it will work at WDW?

luv2sleep said:
I didn't park hop today. Someone asked me if you could have a DAS return time in DL and one in CA on the card at the same time? Or do you think it's just one at a time period no matter what park you are at?

I wonder how it will work at WDW?

That is a good question indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter