DLR people, get me pumped for WDW

We've done both WDW & DL in the past, we had APs for DL for while and loved it. But even then we loved going to WDW too. We're doing DL in July and WDW in February, and excited to experience both of them in that short span of time. As said several times, WDW requires more planning, but there is also a lot more to do and see. Part of the fun is comparing parts of DLR & MK. Our plan is to do the "Walk in Walt's Disneyland Footsteps" Guided Tour at Disneyland then Disney's Keys to the Kingdom Tour at Disney World.

I'm a DL AP holder. I'm also a DVC member so I visit WDW (at least every other year if not annually).
Max Pass >>> Fast Pass +
DL Cast Members > WDW Cast Members
IMO (and I'll get some grief about this) DL fireworks are better (although they are subject to cancellation due to high winds)
There are some rides (that are equivalent) that I like better at DL and some I like better at WDW.
DL has Cars Land, WDW has Pandora
DL has Incredicoaster, WDW has Expedition Everest
DL has Indiana Jones, WDW has Dinosaur
WDW has Epcot, DL has squat to match
Food is better at DL (in general) but WDW really stepped it up w/ Disney Springs (which I'll be sampling the new additions in July).
It's (in general) cleaner at DL
The weather at WDW can be brutal (especially if you're California "snow flakes" like us) but at least it's very predictable
Since we've seen pretty much everything at WDW now, we don't have to "hyper-plan". We do get FPs for the main attractions that we "must" see. We don't have to do character experiences so that's different for us compared to you.
All that said, WDW is just as magical as DL. It's all up to you on how you choose to experience things. Just plan what's most important to you and be adaptable.

I’m looking forward to Animal Kingdom most of all, the trails & exploring. Part of me almost hopes we don’t get a Flight of Passage FastPass so we don’t have to deal with the deadline and can just explore and get a drink at Nomad Lounge or whatever.

But we said the same thing about Cars Ride at DCA when we kept ending up too far away in the park to make our FP, we were getting tired & stressed, and my mom’s knee injury was hurting: “Maybe we should just skip the Cars Ride and enjoy whatever is close by.” Then we finally made it and it was utterly amazing and we were glad we didn’t spend that time on easier stuff like the carnival swings.

I’m looking forward to Animal Kingdom most of all, the trails & exploring. Part of me almost hopes we don’t get a Flight of Passage FastPass so we don’t have to deal with the deadline and can just explore and get a drink at Nomad Lounge or whatever.

But we said the same thing about Cars Ride at DCA when we kept ending up too far away in the park to make our FP, we were getting tired & stressed, and my mom’s knee injury was hurting: “Maybe we should just skip the Cars Ride and enjoy whatever is close by.” Then we finally made it and it was utterly amazing and we were glad we didn’t spend that time on easier stuff like the carnival swings.

Trust me, you'll want the FOP FP+. You'll be looking for it again after your initial 3 are done. :-) Don't miss that ride!!

DL is my home park (visiting 4-10 times a year) but about 10 years ago I started making annual trips to WDW. I love both for different reasons. At WDW Magic Kingdom is actually my least favorite park because nothing is quite where it’s supposed to be. New Orleans Square- where are you??!! But I love the “bubble” and how it is Disney, wild swampland, and nothing else. I love all the boat transportation options, I love the resorts (fun to visit ones I’m not staying at). I love Animal Kingdom and Epcot. I try to balance planning- making sure a few key Fastpasses and dining reservations are in place but also leaving room for unplanned spontaneous days. Best advice: leave some time/space for spontaneity!

DLR is my first love and my home park, but I also love WDW. We visited for the first time in 2010 for our honeymoon and then again in 2013, and we are going next month (can't wait!)

First the negatives, for me: I do personally prefer the more laid back vibe I get at Disneyland, where I don't have to decide in January what meals I'm going to eat in July, and where I don't have to schedule times for rides. Florida's weather is truly ridiculous and we are stuck going in the summer because I'm a teacher. It's much more expensive for us than a WDW trip. The transportation between parks and resorts takes longer than you'd expect - everything is very spread out!

The positives: The variety cannot be beat! We love that each of the 4 parks has a different feel. We also love the water parks! Disney Springs is massive and not at all like DLR's DTD. There are tons of resorts you can visit or eat at. Some of our favorite restaurants are at resorts. We love being in the bubble for a week. There are resorts to fit every budget! We just aren't willing to shell out $500-$600 a night for the DLH or GCH, so we never get to stay on site at DLR. Staying on site at WDW makes it a totally immersive experience, and we love it. The food, we feel, is better. DLR has great places to eat, but WDW has such a huge variety of restaurants! We also love Epcot World Showcase - it makes Epcot our favorite Disney park. There's a lot to do at WDW - shows, rides, experiences - you could never do it all in one trip. There's truly something for everyone.

I really think you will love it. It has magic, believe me. It's just very big and spread out - so much so that it kinda shocked us on our first trip! Walking into and around Magic Kingdom is pretty weird at first because there are similarities but everything is bigger. But WOW, that castle! We were amazed at its size!

DLR is the park that we'll keep coming back to regularly, but WDW is going to be an every few years kind of experience for us. We're happy with that balance.

I grew up going to DL, and love it so much. Our family just got back from a 4-night stay, and I could feel the same magic all over again from 50 years ago. I much prefer the original attractions. They feel smoother and more refined than the WDW copies. We love getting back to our hotel quickly and getting to either park quickly. My teenagers could be out on their own and we knew they were not far away. We have taken them to WDW quite a few times, and we also love it there, for different reasons. We spend most of the time at AK and Epcot, and almost no time at MK (except for the fireworks or night parade). The bus transportation is convenient, but it does take 20 minutes or more to get anywhere, plus bus waiting time. We are not planners. We like to sleep in and wake up whenever and get to the parks by 1:00 PM or so (from California so rope drop in Florida is never going to happen). I did not like planning ahead with FP+ and getting up before 4:00 AM to spend two hours trying to book FP+ for Thanksgiving week 2018. That was ridiculous, and most of the attractions we were looking to book were all gone by the time the system stopped spinning long enough to try to find us a slot. Apparently there was a glitch that morning that made it hard to make FP+ reservations? Anyhow, when we go to WDW, we spend more time shopping and looking around than riding attractions. We like the food at AK (Yak and Yeti, yum), and last year we tried the German buffet in Epcot. We also look for the things that we can't do at DL. There is definitely magic everywhere for non-planners like myself. And we have only gone during holiday season, with huge crowds. We do find that the airfare from California during the holidays is ridiculous ($900 per person nonstop). We would probably go more often if not for that steep cost. Park tickets and accommodations are a lot cheaper at WDW than DLR, though.

I have the Premier Annual Pass that will expire... this Friday... 😭

Anyways, I live about 20 minutes from Disneyland and just got back from WDW a week ago (third WDW trip in a year). Some stuff I like to point out (many of which has already been mentioned by other posters):

1. Avoid going during summer when it is hot and humid and random yet predictable rains and ugh terrible way to experience WDW for the first time (aim for spring like April?)
2. Both coast have similar rides but in my opinion, the similar rides at Disneyland is much better with a few exception like Splash Mountain.
3. I really enjoyed rides only found at WDW such as Peoplemover, Carousal of Progress, Flight of Passage, Slinky Dog, Frozen Ever After, Etc...
4. WDW has so much more table service restaurants and shows.
5. So many different hotels to choose from with so many different prices (I like to start out with something like Pop Century as a first timer and then move up to Moderate and then Deluxe (via DVC rental)).
6. Disney Spring easily blows away the puny Downtown Disney we have here. Way bigger with so much more stores and restaurants.
7. Forget park-hopping; the parks are so spread out you'd lose so much time. But the free bus transportation is amazing and easy to follow with the arrival schedule on the tv screen.
8. Planning can be gruesome, but when you have the great folks and resources of Disboards at your disposal, it's actually pretty fun!
9. You can buy WDW AP vouchers and they can be saved for activation until December 31st, 2030. Yeah, 2030. Do you love Disney? Do you think you want to go multiple years? Will AP prices go up in the future? If you answer yes to all of these questions, it's a no brainer to buy WDW AP vouchers to lock up these prices while you still can. Can't do that with Disneyland.
10. Finally my favorite: EPCOT World Showcase. It was so fun consuming different food/drinks and looking at different merchandises between the countries. I LOVE hearing the different accent/languages and looking at the building architecture of each country. By far the number one thing I love about WDW and it's the number one thing that made WDW magical. My goodness I wish we had that here in CA...

Oh and uh, avoid going to WDW during summer. Yeah, I'm sure I didn't mention that yet.

10. Finally my favorite: EPCOT World Showcase. It was so fun consuming different food/drinks and looking at different merchandises between the countries. I LOVE hearing the different accent/languages and looking at the building architecture of each country. By far the number one thing I love about WDW and it's the number one thing that made WDW magical. My goodness I wish we had that here in CA...

I last went to WDW when I was in 8th grade, 26 years ago. I was from a small town so I wanted to try new foods at the World Showcase. I saw something on the menu at an Italian quick serve and ordered it because it was the longest word. It turned out to be vanilla cake. 😂 I did get my hands on some escargot, though! That was exciting.

I hope we do Epcot so I can order food now that I know something more about foods. My brother wants to do DHS instead. We'll see what SW:GE does to that plan, since we're going in October.

We are WDW vets that live on the east coast, but just had our first DLR visit a few weeks ago. One thing I have learned is that you cannot compare the two and you really should enjoy them each for what they are individually, rather than having the mindset that one is better than the other. They are vastly different experiences. I wrote my own thoughts in a brief trip report (link in signature), and summed it up by saying that WDW has more of a "vacation" feel - truly all inclusive, "Disney bubble" escape from reality from the moment we arrive at the airport until the moment we get back to the airport. DLR is easy to tack onto a trip where we are doing other things, because it doesn't require the same level of planning to see and do everything. Neither is good or bad, just very different experiences.

to meet characters at WDW you need to reserve a special meal months in advance or use a FastPass to jump in a line. They don't just come to you on the street.
Check out Kenny the Pirate. He has a character locator that is spot on and should allow you to have some run-ins with characters. We are not into characters so I'm not sure if it still occurs, but they used to do an unannounced character-palooza at DHS where several characters would gather on the street for meet and greets. Kenny the Pirate always had the 411 on that. I've also seen characters interact with guests as they move from one point in the park to another with their handler. So, they are around.

Otherwise, character meals and fast passes for character meets are just means of meeting important characters with minimal waits. We have done a few character meets through the regular standby queues with little to no wait at all.

There aren't nearly as many rides in each park, and it looks like the lines get long really fast, so you need to choose those FPs wisely.
I don't know exact numbers, but based on my own experience, I would say that Magic Kingdom has roughly the same (or a negligible difference) number of rides as Disneyland. California Adventure is akin to DHS, but likely would match the number of actual attractions as DHS and Epcot combined. And then there's AK at WDW as well. So there are plenty of rides, but spread across four parks. And you have to remember that shows are a big part of each park, and no FPs are needed for those. Also, the World Showcase in Epcot is go at your own pace and is very unique - something you can only do at WDW.

do you get to just explore and follow your heart?
We do, often. We book our FPs for first thing in the morning and then use the app to refresh for FP availability - similar to MaxPass, in a way. This gives us the rest of the day to do what we want. I book one table service meal per day based on the park I will be in, which I usually don't want to change because I plan the park I will be in using crowd calendars and park hours, and choose the best one from there. I buy park hoppers so I can have additional flexibility if I decide I want to do something else, or hop to a different park if we are tiring of the one we are in. In the beginning, I did research to see which attractions were the most popular and generally had the longest waits or whose lines built quickly. But I did this same research with DLR as well, so I don't think that's much different. Each park at WDW has their headliner attractions that can have long waits, but each park has plenty of things to do if/when those lines get past the point where you don't want to wait in it (for us, that's a standby wait of 30 minutes or longer). Fast pass bookings after you use your first three are relatively easy to get, especially for rides not considered "headliners". So definitely take advantage of that as well.

This is all such great advice! I just booked our WDW package today and it’s nice to see so much helpful info from other DL people! I’ve also been overwhelmed- mainly with the FastPass system they have. :scared:

Aside from Kenny the Pirate, does anyone else have good recommendations of people to follow? I love Disneyland Daily and her step by step park strategies are always spot on. Is there a WDW equivalent of her?

For me I feel like DLR is an amazing space, two parks, so many rides in a small footprint. Lots of classic Disney Magic. I love the Quick Service, I love how easy it is. I think I prefer Disneyland park to Magic Kingdom park. But it's close and once Tron is in the park, all bets are off. lol just want to make that clear though, I love Disneyland and have 6 nights coming up this summer. I will never stop going to DLR.

Having said that, I do really loooove WDW. We decided to stay at the Contemporary. For me I loved the history and the modern aesthetic and most importantly, you can walk to and from MK easily, or hop on the monorail. That was actually really important, it seemed weird to go to a Disney park and not be able to walk back home at the end of the night if we wanted. I don’t think that is quite as important anymore and might not factor into our next trip as we barely used the walking path (except when the line for the monorail looked like it was at critical mass after the fireworks)

I did not love MK on our first day. I did get over it though, especially after a few days of exploring other parks. We went back on a Halloween party night and it was much better. (especially since I stopped comparing them) I really loved Hollywood Studios, I really really loved Epcot way more than I thought I would, and really did not love Animal Kingdom. I do however think FOP and EE are some of the best Disney rides ever though. Maybe next time I will love it more.

I would really suggest if you have enough time to make your way to one of the water parks. It was a great way to be in the parks, yet resting and cooling off at the same time lol We reserved two of our mornings/half days to be water-park days.

I really loved going back to our resort in the middle of the day and lying in bed and staring at Bay Lake. We were right on the water and completely fell in love. I found our Disney resort made our stay even more magical. If you find a place that rings all your bells, stay there. Its worth it, even if you have to save up for it because staying at WDW resorts imo is a huge part of the experience. The Disney bubble really is a thing.

I also loved all of the planning and I spent a great amount of time really figuring out what we wanted to do and what we could fit in. I used a Google Doc to work out all my plans. So I typed it out on my computer but could easily access it from my phone with their app. I think all of the planning made it feel more seamless, I didn't feel hurried and I found being at WDW more of a vacation than I have ever felt at DLR. It just felt more relaxed because of all the pre-planning. The times in between reservations and fast pass reservations was easy and we just did whatever we felt like. We didn’t feel like a slave to it, it just grounded us a bit in a very unfamiliar place.

A lot of good stuff has been covered above. Two completely different feels, both are great for their own reasons, have a magical time.

Plan rest days! There is a lot more walking at WDW than DL, everything is spread out.

If you are flying from the West Coast, plan something easy when you land, maybe check out the resort hotels or Disney Springs.

We have been twice in the last five years and rented a car both times for the freedom-we actually did park hop a bit as we had a lot of dinners planned at Epcot both trips.

Spend more time at AK and Epcot. Spend more time on the shows and the rides that are not at DL. Make a list of the rides that are at both you want to compare. We did 5 parks days both trips and still have not seen everything (we did 3 days at Universal each trip too-if you like Harry Potter put some days in over there).

Renting DVC points is easy if you know your trip dates won't change-you can get into the Deluxe hotels for basically half price.

A lot of good stuff has been covered above. Two completely different feels, both are great for their own reasons, have a magical time.

Plan rest days! There is a lot more walking at WDW than DL, everything is spread out.

If you are flying from the West Coast, plan something easy when you land, maybe check out the resort hotels or Disney Springs.

We have been twice in the last five years and rented a car both times for the freedom-we actually did park hop a bit as we had a lot of dinners planned at Epcot both trips.

Spend more time at AK and Epcot. Spend more time on the shows and the rides that are not at DL. Make a list of the rides that are at both you want to compare. We did 5 parks days both trips and still have not seen everything (we did 3 days at Universal each trip too-if you like Harry Potter put some days in over there).

Renting DVC points is easy if you know your trip dates won't change-you can get into the Deluxe hotels for basically half price.
We rented a car also. We felt it really made things easier. Waiting for busses adds up so we had more time to either relax or have more time in the park. It was worth it for us and we are not nervous driving in congested unfamiliar places.

I grew up going to Disneyland and did not get to Walt Disney World until 1996 when I was 40. I LOVE WDW. It is a completely different kind of trip. Just touring the different resorts can take two days. While there are a similar amount of attractions at both resorts and some rides that have the same names, almost everything is different in some manner. If you love what the Imagineers did at Disneyland and you want more of it going to other Disney parks in the world is awesome. You will find things you like better at one location over another but that doesn't mean the one you like less is bad! Even though I have been to Disneyland many, many more times that WDW I still find Main St and Cinderella's Castle more beautiful and spectacular. Nothing beats the Matterhorn for nostalgia and fun. Go have a great time and explore all you can in the time you have.

As someone who has been to Disneyland over 50 times in my life and someone going on there 10th WDW trip I would say that for me WDW is a vacation and DL is a weekend getaway. We usually can do everything we need to do at DL in 2 days because it is doable with everything being close and even easier now with the MP. I usually book my WDW trips at least 8 months in advance so the planning for me starts there. I actually enjoy the planning portion even if it frustrates me. I probably change my dining reservations 100 times before the trip is even here and then when the FP time open ups I do the same. We started first by staying off property and now exclusively stay onsite now. The property is just too big and I love to be in the bubble. I love DL in October for Halloween time and WDW in December for Christmas time.

Honestly with the rides that duplicate at WDW and DL I give the advantage to DL. I always feel that the replicas at WDW just don't measure up except the Jungle Cruise. I like going through the tomb at WDW. Because I grew up going to DL we actually find that we spend less time at MK and it's our least favorite park at WDW.

I highly recommend everyone that goes to WDW to go for at least 7 days and plan to take it easy because the amount of walking is a huge part. You have to put in travel time between parks and to get back for a rest. We usually rope drop in the morning and head back to the room around 1 and go back around 4 or 5 depending on the weather. Remember that the humidity is no joke in Florida and if your not use to it then it will kick your butt the first couple days.

Have a great trip

This is all such great advice! I just booked our WDW package today and it’s nice to see so much helpful info from other DL people! I’ve also been overwhelmed- mainly with the FastPass system they have. :scared:

Aside from Kenny the Pirate, does anyone else have good recommendations of people to follow? I love Disneyland Daily and her step by step park strategies are always spot on. Is there a WDW equivalent of her?
Easywdw.com is my favorite WDW blog. His touring plans are pretty much always spot on. And he's hilarious. Checkout thetimtracker for vlogs that are good.

We are long time WDW vets. We started going to DLR about 12 years ago. We have been to DLR every year for the last 10 years. We alternate coasts and we also take trips to WDW, with our last WDW trip being last October. Since WDW started FP+, WDW trips involve a lot more planning and can be a lot more stressful. It is true that they are less flexible than trips to DLR. Giving everyone 3 FP in advance instead of 1 at a time like MaxPass (which we love), definitely gums up the system, makes it difficult to move things around the day you are there, and creates longer standby lines in general. For example, before FP+, POTC was generally walk on for us (we go in low to moderate crowd times). I can not remember waiting more than 10 minutes for years and years before FP+. Since FP+, if we do not have a fast pass, the wait is generally 20 to 30 minutes-- we would be excited if it was 15 minutes. Before FP+, if the line was 20 minutes, we would probably have decided to just come back later. Now, it is the norm. DLR is definitely easier, less stressful and very flexible. Before FP+ we would have told you that we liked both DLR and WDW equally. Since FP+, we do find that we prefer the flexibility and lower stress of DLR, but not enough to completely give up WDW. That said-- there is definitely a lot of magic to be found at WDW and it should be experienced. You can have a wonderful time. It is an amazing place, even if it is not quite as amazing as it used to be due to the stress of planning and loss of flexibility. It is not quite as bad as you are imagining, but it does take some work and does not have as much of the spontaneity you find at DLR. Even so, it has a lot to offer, and things to experience that you can't find at DLR.

We love World Showcase at EPCOT- and DLR doen't have anything like that. DH's first question for every WDW trip is "When are we eating at Biergarten". Pandora is amazing- even if you aren't a huge Avatar fan. There is a ton to do at WDW-- and don't let the fact that some of the parks have less rides fool you- there is a lot to explore.

.... For instance, to meet characters at WDW you need to reserve a special meal months in advance or use a FastPass to jump in a line. They don't just come to you on the street.

This isn't exactly true. My DD is an absolute character hound, so we have a lot of experience with characters at both WDW and DLR. You don't have to have a character meal or a FP to meet characters at WDW, There are a ton of characters who meet outside of meals who don't even offer FP. Many of those will be in spots outside were you can see them as you walk through the parks and you can try to visit them that way and a lot of people do-- but without planning you may find the lines too long or already cut off. If there are characters you really want to meet, it is best to do a little planning.

Also, if you watch the wait times, it generally is not difficult to find a time to meet the Princesses and Mickey without a FP without having too long of a wait. Even though we always see a ton of characters, we have not used a FP on a character since Anna and Elsa were new enough to have huge lines and offered FP. We rarely wait more than 10 or 15 minutes for Mickey on Main Street or the Princesses in Fantasyland, without having a FP and we have waited less several times.

DLR has a mix of structured line character meets and non-structured (but still mostly on the schedule and showing up on the app) meets--- certain characters wander in the area designated on the app and interact rather than having formal lines- for example at DLR, rather than having a formal meet and greet line Peter Pan often plays games with groups of guests such as hide and seek, and often Alice and Mad Hatter, or Mary Poppins and Bert will stroll with you and don't stop for a formal line. It makes it feel like a surprise, especially if you aren't examining the app and specifically looking for them in the area. At WDW it is pretty much all structured lines. The characters mostly go to their designated spots and a line forms or has formed before they got there- although there may be a few "surprises" while they are on the way to their spots. . You certainly can still walk by and spot a character and get in line. We tend to do that in the Main Street Town Square area. It is not as easy to do in EPCOT World Showcase because the lines for the characters often form before they come out, and they can get long quickly and also can get cut off quickly. You certainly could still wander by, be surprised to spot a character and get in line; however, with a little planning you can see the characters you are really interested in and avoid the huge lines. I highly recommend Kenny the Pirate's character locator-- it is well worth the subscription. He will tell you what characters you can typically find in each park, their schedule, and the best time to see them to avoid lines.

As far as the character meals, and the most popular restaurants at WDW, yes, it is true it is best to book at the 180 day mark. Be Our Guest books up almost immediately and the character meals book up quickly. Some of the other really popular restaurants book up quickly too. If you don't book, you may find yourself having to stalk the website/app to try to pick up cancellations or better times for your reservations at the restaurants you really want. People cancel all the time, so you can often get that reservation you are looking for, but it can take a lot of work. There are times when I have changed some plans and am looking for a reservation closer to our trip that I am checking multiple times a day for days on end until one pops up--usually with some persistence I can get an ADR eventually. I would recommend booking an ADR for each day of your trip at the 180 day mark-- you can always change them and move them around later based on availability. AllEars has a list of all the restaurants and menus at WDW-- if you want to get ideas. As far as character meals, if you like Pooh-- Crystal Palace is fun. For CRT, while it is expensive, you get to actually eat inside the castle and meet Princesses. The food went through a phase where it wasn't the greatest--but the last couple of meals we have had there have been really good!

At WDW did you end up so tied to The Schedule that it turned into "No Billy, we can't ride the carousel twice in the morning because the other lines get too long. No Janie, you can't take off down that interesting animal trail because we have a Fastpass for Mount Everest"?

I have to admit--- we do find ourselves doing this at WDW. You book the FP+ 60 days in advance, they can be hard to change for the popular things, and they are not always at times that are convenient once you are actually in the park that day. There are definitely times that we have had to quit what we were doing and rush across the park to a FP-- and we also find ourselves criss-crossing the park more due to FP+. Before we would explore the full area at a time-- now our day is controlled by what FP+ we can get for the longer line rides. That is what makes WDW more stressful and less flexible than DLR. It is managable though.

Yes-- I would tell DD she can't ride the carousel again now-- or even at all now because the lines for other rides are getting longer-- but I will tell her she can ride the carousel again later because its line is never that long. I would also do that at DLR on a more crowded day. As far as the animal trails- I am usually begging DD to let me explore them more. LOL. We have a really good zoo at home, and from the time she was 2 until about 10-- DD would just beg to leave AK to go back to EPCOT or MK (she loves Princesses and AK does not have a Princess Presence). Once they started doing the Wilderness Explorer book with earned badges she got more interested, and now with Pandora AK has turned into a full day park even for her.

There aren't nearly as many rides in each park, and it looks like the lines get long really fast, so you need to choose those FPs wisely. So you end up learning all about the rides and about the whole park to figure out which rides you want to do and when you want to do them — so maybe there's not as much chance to be surprised? And if you're on a schedule (and committing a fair bit of each day to transit), do you get to just explore and follow your heart? At DLR, my kid would gleefully disappear into the Tarzan thing or Bug Land or whatever, and we'd follow along because it seemed like the park was built for exactly that -- exploring and being surprised and taking everything in organically.

I don't think it is quite as bad as all this. The standby lines are definitely longer because of FP+, but it is not like you need a FP for every ride you do. What you do have to do is figure out the most popular rides in each park and then have a plan for those. MK is not as hard because of the number of rides. It is pretty easy to navigate that park and to pick up FPs. Peter Pan and 7DMT are probably the hardest to find short lines during the day without FP. Next would be the mountains, although the lines seem to ebb and flow for those in our experience. For AK, FOP, Navi, Everest, and Safari would be the most popular. For EPCOT, Test Track, Soarin and Frozen. For HS--- obviously Star Wars when it opens, Slinky Dog, RNRC and TSM. The FP tiers do cause issues (especially if you have family that prioritizes different rides). WDW could easily solve those issues by removing the 3 FP in advance and going to a one at a time system where they would not need tiers- but it has been years and they have not done that, so I'm not holding my breath. So-- basically for a Tiered park, you have to pick the most important Tier 1 ride for your FP+, and then come up with a plan to try to ride the other Tier 1s without being in a long line (sometimes you will be able to pull one as your 4th FP-- but we never count on that because we have had several times where we could not).

The lines do get longer faster at WDW. I think that is because DLR has a large local crowd and a ton of people staying off property in other areas and it takes a while for them to all get there and filter in-- while WDW is a destination place with a ton of people staying on property or very nearby. Also as we go to DLR in the summer, the parks usually open at 8:00 a.m., where WDW typically opens at 9:00 a.m. when we are there. We love that at DLR the first few hours in the mornings are typically very short lines even on a low crowd day. That said- you will still almost always find things with shorter lines or things to explore. At EPCOT, DD could spend hours just running around from country to country doing the Agent P missions-- while DH found himself beer from different countries, and I had a nice Grey Goose Lemon Slush and shopped or enjoyed the atmosphere while DH and I took turns following her around.

Or does everyone at WDW mostly end up abandoning their plans anyway? I can get myself in the mindset to do that. But WDW sort of pushes people to hyperplan everything — and with all the attractions divided among smaller parks, each with high crowd pressure, it really does seem like access to the must-dos requires that level of planning precision. I never once worried we might not get a chance to do Space Mountain in two days at Disneyland, but it sounds like any one of the big rides at WDW is kind of a one-chance, high-stakes thing involving a FastPass or a pre-dawn rope drop scrum or a really long wait (we aren't park-hopping).

Nope we don't abandon the plans-- those FP+ are important as are the ADRs and the penalties for no-shows for ADRs. We stick to those plans. But our set plans involve those 3 FP+ rides and usually one dining reservation a day. We do not plan every day to the minute-- or plan out every ride. Outside of the 3 FP+ and ADRs, our only plans will be a loose idea of how/when to hit the most popular rides/characters to avoid long lines. I don't think most of the rides are a "one-chance high stakes thing". It is just more stressful due to FP+ and the involvement of some planning. We are not morning people--- we shoot for rope drop and usually arrive at or by about 10 minutes after rope drop. We are not an hour before the park open type people--- although that would make things easier on us. If we were there an hour before rope drop every day-- I would just have a cranky DD. Even so-- we usually get everything we want done. That said-- for last October- without being crack of dawn people and with it being a moderate crowd time-- we would not have ridden Slinky Dog without a FP. The line for it was insane--- I would have been worried about how to get on it had we not had a FP. We were there right as the gates opened our first HS day (which was not our FP day)- and there was an absolute race to SDD. We went that way to ride TSM as we had a FP+ for that first thing in the morning and SDD's line was already 90 minutes by the time we got back there. It was crazy. That line stayed between 90 and 180 minutes the whole time we were there that day. I can only imagine what Star Wars will be like.

If you aren't park hopping--that cuts down on transportation taking chunks out of your day. It is when you go from park to park and it takes an hour to an hour and a half that you can lose big chunks of time.

A lot of advocate breaks during the day-- or a day of break-- but that really depends on you. We typically stay 9 nights and we go to the parks every day. We are also park open to close people most day. DD has always been high energy. You just have to figure out what works for your family. Sadly, in all our years of going to WDW, we have never found time to go to a water park--we just always would rather spend time in the main parks. We do have a big water park at home. I would like to try that sometime. Also, realize that based on the time of year you go-- the weather may not cooperate with water parks. We have been in early December when the high was 80 and it would have worked, and we have been that same time when the high was 50 and there was no way we would have gone (and they even close the water parks sometimes due to cold temperatures). For a first trip, I would focus on the main parks. I would not buy the water park option on the tickets in advance. Unless something has changed-- the price if spending one day at a waterpark- is not much different if you buy in advance or pay for the water parks option (you only save money if you go to water parks multiple days). If you decide you want to spend a day at a water park while you are there- you can do that, but you may decide that the main parks have so much to see that you want to spend all your time in those.

[QUOTE="ErinAlb, post: 60741742, member: 644695"How did you DLR folks find your magic at WDW? Did you have regrets about how you approached it? It doesn't sound like the magic there follows the same vectors that it does at DLR, and it'd be a mistake to hope that it will. But it is called The Most Magical Place On Earth, so I'm assuming its there!
[/QUOTE]

The Magic is definitely there!!! You will find it!!! You will also find surprises along the way. You don't have to research the content of rides, shows etc. if you consider that spoilers-- you just need to know what the most popular things are and if they are important to you to have some sort of plan on how/when to get to those to avoid long lines. Have a great trip!

Last edited:
I agree with many of the comments posted here. I have a Premier annual pass and go to Disneyland a minimum of once a month. (More in summer.) I just got back from my 3rd trip to WDW this year as well. Here are my thoughts:
1. Don't expect a Disneyland experience at WDW. They are as different as chocolate and vanilla. I can go to DL again and again. I need a break from WDW.
2. You must plan. When you go to DL, you just show up! Not at WDW. If you can make advanced Fastpasses, do it! I hate this about WDW. I went to DL yesterday and got on all the mountains and Guardians with my Max Pass. You can change your fast passes on that day, but they will be limited.
3. Go to the waterparks! This is something that I wish we had. So fun and a break from all the walking and sweating!
4. Bring multiple pairs of shoes and be prepared to need to wash clothes.
5. Knowing how to use the DL app will help at WDW. This was a huge help to me. I watched others struggle and I knew my way around the app easily.
6. Be prepared for loud, unexperienced crowds of people. I know this sounds strange, but most of the people who go to DL have been there before. WDW has lots of people from all over the world who have no idea what they are doing.
7. The cast members are not that friendly. You will get some sweet people to help you, but I have had some really rude castmember interactions. (It was shocking.) Sadly, I think this is due to the college program and all the people that cast members have to deal with.
8. Animal Kingdom is hot, Hollywood Studios is just ok, Magic Kingdom is huge and Epcot is wonderful.
9. I hate the huge parking lots.
Disneyland is my first love. There are many things I love about WDW. But, I had to learn to change my mindset. (I am not going to have the same kind of trip in Florida that I have in California.) Go, relax and have fun. You will not see everything in one trip or even 6 trips. We usually stay away from rides that we have at DL. Some are better in Florida. My husband must ride Space Mountain at WDW.
Have a great time!

We actually didn’t need the FPs at DL, except for the Cars ride. Everything else was short lines. We did use a couple at the end of our last night, but only because 0 minutes is shorter than 15.

Our only schedule considerations at DLR were a Bibbity Bobbity Boutique appointment, the one Cars FP (which we kept pushing back) and the Frozen show (which we ended up missing bc we didn’t know you had to be there early. But it didn’t matter bc there were all these other rides with <10 min. waits to do instead). The second day we only had to worry about Jedi Training and a Fantasmic dinner package.

Meeting windows for 3 FPs plus stage shows, ADRs and buses doesnt really seem comparable as far as daily deadline pressure goes.

I’m not too worried about the FL weather; I love rain and humidity, and I eat ice all the time. Just seeing rain is a treat.

What about WDW do you prefer? The things you’re describing don’t really sound like good things — except for the bigger walkways.
One huge thing is the atmosphere. Everyone at Disney World is in awe of the place. In California there are so many annual passholders that are there for their 3000th day and they just don't see the magic the same way. People are more friendly and we have met so many people that are so relaxed and on vacation instead of being off to work later that day. It's so huge and there is so much to explore. Plus the greatest park in Disney, Epcot is there. I don't know what it is about Epcot, but just take a stroll around World Showcase eating at the booths, catching a concert, then the show......A very low key relaxing day. Then tomorrow off to a different park and a different kind of day. Staying onsite you never really seem to need to enter the outside world for the trip. Walk out of Disneyland, back to your hotel on Harbor blvd and the noise and the ills of the world hit you. That doesn't happen at Disney World.

5 days straight at Disneyland and you have to repeat yourself. 14 days at Disney World and we leave having not done so much this trip......

Where California Adventure is an extension of Disneyland, with much the same feel, Disney World has Animal Kingdom that is so much not your typical Disney Park, but still has some big thrills like Everest and Kali, but also the safari and what feels like a real African village.... Then there is Epcot that has it's own unique feel.

There's that first boat ride across the lagoon, when you get your first glimpse of the castle. The ride on the monorail that takes you through the Contemporary.

Being so used to California, there is the bonus of going into the temple on the Jungle Cruise, the extra scenes in the Haunted mansion, Country bears..... A better Splash mountain that is also not shoehorned in.....

The dining option are immense. You can dine in the Ballroom from Beauty and the Beast, There is no Blue bayou, but there is the California Grill. There's also dozens and dozens of really good places to eat. Get reservations at 6 months, they fill up.

Fireworks at the Magic Kingdom, the Star Wars show at the studios, Illuminations at Epcot......

Slinky Dog was so much more fun that we expected. It doesn't seem like it would be as good a coaster as it is.

Florida still has the Tower of Terror and it is so much better than the one they got rid of in California.

A huge AT AT stands outside the Florida Star Tours. In a forest.....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter