DME Return Trip and Luggage, etc.

RemyIsMyFave

Earning My Ears
Trying to plan our final day of Disney vacation in May. Complete Disney newbie so any help, ideas, suggestions or warnings would be immensely appreciated.This is a long post so thank you for even attempting to answer one or all the questions.

Staying at Animal Kingdom Lodge. 8:05am ADR at Hollywood & Vine at HS. I was hoping to stay a few hours at HS after the ADR and then head out for the airport. Return flight home departs on a Tuesday at 3:12pm. There are a few rides and shows that morning at HS and I want to see if its even possible to watch them before we leave. I managed to get FP+ for Toy Story so I know we can make that but I am unsure about the Frozen sing-a-long or the Ariel attraction. I don't want to over promise to the kiddos what is possible. I know DME won't pick us up from HS.

Our options are to either (A) Leave HS and get back to AKL for the DME bus or (B) Arrange our own taxi from HS to the airport. Option A gives us much less time in the park in order to leave HS and get back to AKL. Option B will cost more out of pocket. Am I missing any alternative options??

So I guess my questions are:
1. How far ahead of our return flight does DME pick you up? Tracking back from HS, how much extra time do I need to allow for travel from HS to AKL? Could we catch the DME from another hotel that is closer to save travel time?

2. How does return flight luggage work? If we opt for Option B and take a cab from HS, is it possible to hand off our tagged luggage at AKL early that morning?

3. Any estimates on costs of taxi/Uber from HS to the airport? Is it cheaper to take a short walk/monorail to another Disney park location/resort for a different pick up point?

4. How long does it take to get from HS to the airport?

If you made it to the end of this novel of a post, thank you!! This board and all its members are absolutely invaluable and you have helped me plan our first Disney trip without losing my mind. THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can only answer 1 and 2. DME will pick you up around 3 hours prior to your flight, only at AKL, not another resort. So, I think you would need to leave DHS by 11:00 just to be sure. If you are unlucky, you will wait 20-25 minutes for a bus, and it's about 10-15 minute ride. You are supposed to be at the ME stop 15 minutes before your pick-up time. As far as luggage, if your airline participates, you can check-in for your flight and check your bags at AKL that morning before you go to the park. If you have carry-ons, however, you would need a locker or something at DHS.

1. DME will pick you up 3 hours (+ or - 15 minutes) before your flight leaves. They will assign a time the day before your departure. Tyat time is when your bus is schedules to leave - you need to be at the platform ready to go at least 15 minutes before that. I would leave DHS by 11:45. You cannot take DME from another hotel.

2. You can check your luggage at your resort at the RAC desk.

3. You can look up taxi fare at taxifarefinder.com

4. You can look it up on google maps. I think about 30 minutes or so. Make sure you give yourself enough time to be at the airport 2 hours before your flight. You really might need that much time.

The real problem with taking a cab is that it's going to be difficult if you have carry ons. You can't take them on Disney buses, so you'd have to take a cab to the park in the morning. And you would need to take them through bag check, which could take forever. Plus you would need to rent a locker for them.

Have you considered renting a car?

For a 3:12 flight, your DME pick up time will be around noon-ish. That means you need to be out at the bus stop, ready to go, no later than 11:45....15 mins prior to the stated pick up time. That has you leaving DHS by 11! At the latest.
If you were to get a cab from DHS, you would need to have carry on bags small enough to put in a locker. Then, you would need to be driving away from DHS by 12:30-1:00 (1 at the latest). You really need to be at MCO no less than 90 mins prior to flight time!
Using a cab or a car service will allow you to leave WDW about 30-45 mins later than DME. Your choice as to how stressed you want to be that last day. Cut it too close and you could miss your flight!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter