• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Do Not Disturb Gone! (BLT)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its called a right to privacy in a free society and a reasonable suspicion/ presumption of innocence before that privacy can be infringed.
its amazing how willing people give up that precious right in the land of the free.. for the illusion of safety...even when that safety is a joke only existing to cover a corporations legal financial liability. And to dog train you and future generations to accept violations of your personal space..(i.e. the nonsense and stupidity of feeling up old ladies and little girls at airports)..
Thanks for your post. You are in the minority sadly and unfortunately. Accept this and eventually at WDW you will get this.
38597726155_a4bdcac46a_z.jpg

39494510701_b843f70940.jpg

The legal rights and presumptions you keep posting about prevent you from intrusions by the government, both federal and state. Disney is not a government. You have the freedom to communicate to them your displeasure with their policies, and you certainly have the freedom to stay elsewhere.

So according to your way of thinking a private corporation (by the way the government is essentially a revolving door of corporations..ie Monsanto, Goldman Sacs, Lockheed Martin etc.)... Disney or who ever can come into your bathroom?, touch your children?, go trough your luggage in your car?, search trough your papers anytime they choose?...because they are a corporation?.. come into your hotel room at midnight and rouse you and make you open your safe or your pocket book (ha!)...? (And I AM NOT saying Disney is doing that or that they intend to...) I am addressing the fallacy of your position. Uh no they can not. Your legal protections inside your private space... have been adjudicated and there in lies the protections of the bill of rights. Your way of thinking would allow a corporation to come into your home and make you pay your credit card bill because its late...or your light bill....YOU HAVE RIGHTS THAT ARE ENSHRINED IN THE BILL OF RIGHTS THAT APPLY ACROSS THE BOARD otherwise the above would be true. And its not.
Sorry, I left out the freedom to post nonsense, but I guess you already know about that one.

Edited to add: I suppose this won't do any good, but this has nothing to do with "my way of thinking." Disney is subject to an entire host of laws, including the criminal and tort laws that regulate our behavior toward each other. But the constitutional protections you are referring to are limitations on the behavior of the government toward its citizens. Maybe it's an old-fashioned idea, but people should make it a point to understand their rights under the Constitution and its amendments. When I was young, you couldn't graduate 8th grade without passing a test showing that you had some basic understanding of the Constitution.

Last edited:

So according to your way of thinking a private corporation (by the way the government is essentially a revolving door of corporations..ie Monsanto, Goldman Sacs, Lockheed Martin etc.)... Disney or who ever can come into your bathroom?, touch your children?, go trough your luggage in your car?, search trough your papers anytime they choose?...because they are a corporation?.. come into your hotel room at midnight and rouse you and make you open your safe or your pocket book (ha!)...? (And I AM NOT saying Disney is doing that or that they intend to...) I am addressing the fallacy of your position. Uh no they can not. Your legal protections inside your private space... have been adjudicated and there in lies the protections of the bill of rights. Your way of thinking would allow a corporation to come into your home and make you pay your credit card bill because its late...or your light bill....YOU HAVE RIGHTS THAT ARE ENSHRINED IN THE BILL OF RIGHTS THAT APPLY ACROSS THE BOARD otherwise the above would be true. And its not.

This isn't about corporations having a right to come into your home or your private space. It's about being corporations having a right to enter their own premises. A room in a building that they own, that you are freely choosing to temporarily inhabit, with knowledge of their policies and with an agreement that you accept their policies.

If you don't accept a business's policies, you have the freedom to refuse to patronize that business.

How far can they come in to your room and how much of an 'inspection' are they allowed in your humble opinion? Before a line is crossed? Just askin?
It's housekeeping. I like a neat, clean tidy room. That includes clean towels, refreshed paper goods, trash taken out. No big deal.
I am not losing sleep over fears that Inspector Clouseau is going to be dropping by.:-)

How far can they come in to your room and how much of an 'inspection' are they allowed in your humble opinion? Before a line is crossed? Just askin?

It is not your room. It is their (Disney's) property. You are there under their terms, which you have agreed to. You may not like that they inspect your room. And if you aren't satisfied with their lack of information or detail as to how or what those inspections entail, you are free to voice your opinion, cancel your trip etc. They are not violating any rights that you. All of us book subject to knowing that "these terms and conditions are subject to change at anytime" type of language. For those whose cancellation/refund dates had already passed, I do think they have a good argument for a refund based on the late change in policy and lack of notice. I am not saying you should like the policy, or that I like the policy. But you are not the victim of some government intrusion.

Also where this becomes a slippery slope for those of us who actually CARE about privacy and a desire to protect it...lets suppose Disney decides that the best way to insure our 'safety' is to record everything on property with microphones everywhere. Well yes they can do that. Because you have no reasonable expectation of privacy IN PUBLIC. Behind your hotel room YOU HAVE A LEGAL REASONABLE EXPECTATION of PRIVACY and so DISNEY CAN NOT A) Listen with a device to what goes on behind that door. B) Disney CAN NOT record your phone conversations on the hotel phone with out your permission. C) Disney Can NOT just put it somewhere in your room contract that they are doing that. They would be either charged with illegal wiretapping under Florida State Law or sued by the offended party i.e. a guest. Contrary to whats been said above those wiretapping laws are derived from the Constitution and determined applicable after all remedies have been sought by 5 members in majority on the Supreme Court.

Now, as to your point that if you don't like it don't go to Disney. Thats one remedy.
So my question persists...how far is too far?

What are so-called housekeeping/ security personel being instructed to do.. We don't know that and we won't because Disney is being very coy about this.. They are using their legitimate long standing hotel policy which the courts have decided they have a right to do..ie "maintenance,upkeep etc"...There is no mention of a compulsory, mandatory, sweeping safety and security inspection daily in each guests room... would be my bet in the actual contract for the room or in any fine print.
And the reason for that is for all of the issues discussed by those who see this as affront to privacy under any and all laws federal and state. This is legal and security theater plain and simple and does not one thing to protect you from a monster with bad intentions. All it does is dismay and dishearten people who care about issues of privacy.
Thank you for these forums. We all need to converse, debate and agree to disagree.

Considering how many companies explicitly state their employees have no expectation of privacy while in their buildings, on their computers or networks, so on, I think you might be behind the curve. Not to mention the amount of privacy handed over to the likes of Google, Facebook, and Apple. You're talking about putting out a California wildfire with a garden hose. I applaud your enthusiasm but it's completely misdirected here.

Considering how many companies explicitly state their employees have no expectation of privacy while in their buildings, on their computers or networks, so on, I think you might be behind the curve. Not to mention the amount of privacy handed over to the likes of Google, Facebook, and Apple. You're talking about putting out a California wildfire with a garden hose. I applaud your enthusiasm but it's completely misdirected here.
Thats a big discussion not suitable here. NSA spying etc...no one has been able to show damage to date. If Apple put a camera or microphone in an employee bathroom they'd be making a huge mistake. Being an employee of a large corporation and a public paying guest behind closed doors is much different, but you have a valid point...And giving Facebook your pictures is not the same as placing a camera in a hotel room or a listening device. Big topic not suitable here.

Last edited:
Thats a big discussion not suitable here. NSA spying etc...no one has been able to show damage to date. If Apple put a camera or microphone in an employee bathroom they'd be making a huge mistake. Being an employee of a large corporation and a public paying guest behind closed doors is much different, but you have a valid point...And giving Facebook your pictures is not the same as placing a camera in a hotel room or a listening device. Big topic not suitable here.

I agree, but I also think bringing Disney rooms and invoking a Slippery Slope fallacy is also not suitable.

Until they cross a line that you or anyone else feels has gone too far.

It has happened a couple times here already, and I hope it isn't causing people alarm. Speculation, slippery slope arguments, outright falsehoods (one story was reported as false from what I remember) have all been posted here. I think most people are concerned mainly about being able to rest when they need to and making sure their items are not stolen. Much beyond that I think its more useful to talk about what's happening now so people can prepare for their stay. I like the overall discussion about privacy in public or in private but it can get out of scope very fast. The mods have done a great job keeping this going without it going too far off track. I personally would like to see more in person reports so we can all know what to expect, kind of like with the dog discussion.

Its called a right to privacy in a free society and a reasonable suspicion/ presumption of innocence before that privacy can be infringed.
its amazing how willing people give up that precious right in the land of the free.. for the illusion of safety...even when that safety is a joke only existing to cover a corporations legal financial liability. And to dog train you and future generations to accept violations of your personal space..(i.e. the nonsense and stupidity of feeling up old ladies and little girls at airports)..

Issues involving freedom of speech, religion, fourth ammendment protections etc..derive their status, legitimacy or illegitimacy in tort and statute....FROM the Bill of rights and the Constitution.

You are completely missing my point about yours and my right to privacy. Because you feel that a corporation can do anything it likes. I dont and therefor my constant annoying reference to the document to which all our laws are subject to in Government and in the private sector.

No one I'm aware of mentioned Government intrusion except in the course of a parallel example.

When you make the argument that Disney policies are somehow affecting your rights under the Bill of Rights, you are arguing that Disney is part of the government and that what they are doing is an intrusion on your rights. There is no way around it. The Bill of Rights protects you from certain actions by the government. It has very little effect on the private sector.

When you make the argument that Disney policies are somehow affecting your rights under the Bill of Rights, you are arguing that Disney is part of the government and that what they are doing is an intrusion on your rights. There is no way around it. The Bill of Rights protects you from certain actions by the government. It has very little effect on the private sector.
You do realize you're trying to reason with someone who is arguing, "bla bla constitution bla bla." This thread has been hijacked and turned into a massive case of Chicken Little Syndrome run rampant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter