• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Do Not Disturb Gone! (BLT)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Until they cross a line that you or anyone else feels has gone too far.

And then you stop patronizing the business.

I'm not sure what kind of remedy you're looking for here. A law to be passed that says that hotel companies must never have their employees enter a guest's room unless the guest gives explicit permission? Some sort of punishment levied against Disney by the government for creating a policy that might infringe upon a guest's desire for privacy?

When companies create unpopular policies, consumers can always choose to take their business elsewhere. Since Disney has broken no laws by implementing this policy, that's the only possible remedy. For example, there was a clothing store I went to once that had a communal dressing room. One big room with a curtain across the entrance, everyone tried on clothes together in one room. I didn't like the lack of privacy, so I put the item back on the rack and went to a different store.

This thread is bonkers, but this seems appropriate

privacy_opinions_2x.png

It's been touched on before about "feeling safe" rather than actually "being safe". Safety is, generally, an illusion and most people simply don't have the knowledge (or care to gain even a 101 entry education on the subject) to make informed opinions about safety, security or firearms.

I think education is key to removing the ignorance on these very important subjects, after all security and safety are something that a person should be thinking about (at least on a subconscious level) all the time. With over 500 million firearms in the US and tens of millions of licenses to carry weapons currently issued in all 50 states and 13 states where no license is needed to carry concealed at all, having a basic knowledge of firearms and laws is something everyone should have.

I'm going to quote the next post as an overview example, not to single out any particular poster, I just want to point out that peoples ignorance (dictionary definition meaning lack of knowledge) on the law can give them a total false sense of "security". There are dozens of similar posts over the past couple dozen pages, I'm simply picking the easiest anyone can double check if they so desire.

We don't nap, and I appreciate that there is some effort to address whatever threats they are aware of. But...I would rather see cars checked as they come in. Yes, it would slow things down- I get it. But similar to getting checked before a flight, or entering a park, I would see that as more of a deterrent than housekeepers ( untrained people) randomly peeking in rooms when someone could easily hide weapons. People arriving by DME have been checked already, before flying and the driver loads the bus.
Its terrifying to think that there may be a threat and this casual peek in the room thing will handle it.
I guess I don't get annoyed at bag checks at the airport of parks- and appreciate efforts to keep us safe.

This poster is completely unaware that a person can check an unlimited amount (upto what a bag will hold and any extra baggage or weight fees over 50#) of firearms into their checked luggage. They are unaware they can check an unlimited amount of magazines and accessories into their check luggage. They also are unaware a person can check up to 11 pounds of ammunition into their checked luggage as well.

This of course doesn't count the opportunity for 'contraband' to be added to any bags between coming off the conveyor belt (unsterile area of airport) and before the bus driver gets it. It also doesn't count the fact that TSA has a failure rate of 80% (down from 95% 4 years ago) http://abcnews.go.com/US/tsa-fails-tests-latest-undercover-operation-us-airports/story?id=51022188 .

So under the above scenario a potential madman loads up a couple of rifles and/or handguns,and a couple dozen magazines into their checked luggage and 11 pounds of ammo (they could go over by a few pounds, I've never seen them weight it separately from the total bag weight) , declare it to SouthWest at the check-in desk and hops on the plane. Gets off in Orlando and the bus driver personally gets the luggage off of the belt and loads it into the bus, it's off to Contemporary where the bellhop delivers it up to the 10th floor TPV room and the potential madman doesn't even have to break a sweat carrying anything up to his room.

Yet they "feel" safer. Generally speaking the most dangerous things are things we don't know that we don't know. Hopefully this was educational.

Since we're on the subject, let's also say Disney was checking every private car that came onto property as also suggested.

Joe Citizen pulls up and Disney employee starts the inspection-

DE- "Ok, lets see in your center console"
JC- "Sure" and he opens it.
DE- "Ah I see you have a Glock 17 with 3 spare magazines fully loaded."
JC- "Yep"
DE- "You're leaving it in the car or checking it in at the Port Orleans desk right?"
JC- "Yep."
DE- "Ok have a magical day!"
*with the exception of a handful of "secure" facilities like Prisons and Nuclear power plants, a business is prevented by law from preventing a person from having a firearm in their vehicle in Florida (and most states).

Again, "feel" safe.

I do hope this can open some eyes to the futility of notions that merely involve feeling safe vs having any true impact on actually preventing an unthinkable incident. These "peek checks" are thoroughly useless and needless hassles, if they are actually meant for some sort of security effort.

It's been touched on before about "feeling safe" rather than actually "being safe". Safety is, generally, an illusion and most people simply don't have the knowledge (or care to gain even a 101 entry education on the subject) to make informed opinions about safety, security or firearms.

I think education is key to removing the ignorance on these very important subjects, after all security and safety are something that a person should be thinking about (at least on a subconscious level) all the time. With over 500 million firearms in the US and tens of millions of licenses to carry weapons currently issued in all 50 states and 13 states where no license is needed to carry concealed at all, having a basic knowledge of firearms and laws is something everyone should have.

I'm going to quote the next post as an overview example, not to single out any particular poster, I just want to point out that peoples ignorance (dictionary definition meaning lack of knowledge) on the law can give them a total false sense of "security". There are dozens of similar posts over the past couple dozen pages, I'm simply picking the easiest anyone can double check if they so desire.

This poster is completely unaware that a person can check an unlimited amount (upto what a bag will hold and any extra baggage or weight fees over 50#) of firearms into their checked luggage. They are unaware they can check an unlimited amount of magazines and accessories into their check luggage. They also are unaware a person can check up to 11 pounds of ammunition into their checked luggage as well.

This of course doesn't count the opportunity for 'contraband' to be added to any bags between coming off the conveyor belt (unsterile area of airport) and before the bus driver gets it. It also doesn't count the fact that TSA has a failure rate of 80% (down from 95% 4 years ago) http://abcnews.go.com/US/tsa-fails-tests-latest-undercover-operation-us-airports/story?id=51022188 .

So under the above scenario a potential madman loads up a couple of rifles and/or handguns,and a couple dozen magazines into their checked luggage and 11 pounds of ammo (they could go over by a few pounds, I've never seen them weight it separately from the total bag weight) , declare it to SouthWest at the check-in desk and hops on the plane. Gets off in Orlando and the bus driver personally gets the luggage off of the belt and loads it into the bus, it's off to Contemporary where the bellhop delivers it up to the 10th floor TPV room and the potential madman doesn't even have to break a sweat carrying anything up to his room.

Yet they "feel" safer. Generally speaking the most dangerous things are things we don't know that we don't know. Hopefully this was educational.

Since we're on the subject, let's also say Disney was checking every private car that came onto property as also suggested.

Joe Citizen pulls up and Disney employee starts the inspection-

DE- "Ok, lets see in your center console"
JC- "Sure" and he opens it.
DE- "Ah I see you have a Glock 17 with 3 spare magazines fully loaded."
JC- "Yep"
DE- "You're leaving it in the car or checking it in at the Port Orleans desk right?"
JC- "Yep."
DE- "Ok have a magical day!"
*with the exception of a handful of "secure" facilities like Prisons and Nuclear power plants, a business is prevented by law from preventing a person from having a firearm in their vehicle in Florida (and most states).

Again, "feel" safe.

I do hope this can open some eyes to the futility of notions that merely involve feeling safe vs having any true impact on actually preventing an unthinkable incident. These "peek checks" are thoroughly useless and needless hassles, if they are actually meant for some sort of security effort.

Do you think it’s possible Disney might invest in a small portable gunpowder sensor (mfg by Solution Sensors Inc) worn by a Disney employee that alerts security when gunpowder is present in a resort room? A simple walk through would sweep the room and detect a firearm in seconds.

These sensors can be fixed in high traffic areas to see inside cars without interviewing the driver.

Last edited:

I think most people are concerned mainly about being able to rest when they need to and making sure their items are not stolen.

Which are large, righteous, and valid concerns.

It also doesn't count the fact that

...That not everyone arriving by dme was even on a plane. For princess weekend my cousin arrives by cheap coach from Daytona. No one has checked her bags before they are placed quickly under the bus and we head on to Wdw by dme.

Do you think it’s possible Disney might invest in a small portable gunpowder sensor (mfg by Solution Sensors Inc) worn by a Disney employee that alerts security when gunpowder is present in a resort room? A simple walk through would sweep the room and detect a firearm in seconds.

Gunpowder doesn’t equal present firearm, though. My brother now has in laws back in the Orlando area. I am 100% sure that when brother visits he’ll find a shooting range. And they might not stay there, but choose a Wdw resort instead. So his hands and clothes will have gunpowder on them even if he has left a weapon at his in law’s house.

the new Hilton procedures also direct hotel employees to consider the following issues that may be considered “suspicious”:

• Guests overly concerned about privacy.
  • Guests refusing room cleaning for extended period of time.
  • Those taking photos and notes about the hotel.
  • Switching rooms a number of times.
  • Requesting specific rooms.
  • Extended use of DND sign.
  • Using cash for payment.
  • Guest doesn’t leave the room for extended period.
  • Guest leaves the room for extended period.

Omg.

I know this is hiktonnbut would apply there if my family is on vacay and also at Disney...

Concerned about privacy bc of keeping valuable items in the room. Some of them spec devices for DH’s job.

We refuse cleaning bc it’s just not needed. We’re not messy.

Taking photos of a hotel is weird? Taking notes is weird? Disney best stop having bloggers. When I was writing trip reports I took loads of notes. One of them was at the embassy suites in fll. That’s Hilton, right?

Only switched rooms at Wdw and it was for health reasons.

Wr don’t request rooms. Whew.

DND up the whole time. We’re not messy. See above.

No cash. Whew.

One of us often gets sick. Or naps. So they’ll stay in the room.

And at Disney we go touring.

Sigh.

If I had kids napping, I might also bring my own "shh... baby sleeping" sign and hang it on the door. No guarantee, but it might help.

I’m planning on it for Princess chalkenge weekend.

I thought I read something about being able to coordinate times with the front desk. Just some things you cant time and don't know may happen but hopefully the latch will be there..

We all know how well the front desk coordinates with housekeeping!

That post wasn’t legit and has been removed.

One wonders how that was determined.

While I don’t like that someone fibbed about what happened, I’m relieved that they aren’t barging into rooms.

The reason one easily believes it is because we know how housekeeping works.

I am not going to stop living, but my normal behavior is changing. I no longer take my DGD to NYC wthout making myself aware of exit routes and my souroundings. I never did that before.

Really? Never? I went to San Francisco with my shorter mom and teensy grandma in the mid 80s and we always did those things. The learned my tiny but fierce physical attitude back then.

This way there would be no reason to go into room since people who fly have nothing

Soooo not true.

But taking the trash every day isn't a service that Disney is known for. In fact, Disney made it quite clear that DVC does not get the same service that cash resorts receive.

Didn’t Disney announce along with this that dvc would be getting trash taken every day?

Lol after reading these posts it seems the only reason people go to Disney is to nap.

It’s vacation. Tons of people nap. My husband loves to nap and naps almost every day on vacation.

Well then you can decide if it is enough of an issue to not go get ice right that second. Yes you may have to make some choices, but none of them are life altering choices. So he waits 2 minutes to shower, or you wait 10 minutes to get ice. Neither is the end of the world. A tiny bit inconvenient maybe. But nothing that should drastically impact your life.

Or the wife wants to hit the parks and the husband wants to stay and sleep. She sneaks out quietly so he can sleep, and she can’t do the latch. So he gets barged in on bc he sleeps like the dead. Fun!

And it’s not about 2 or 10 minutes, but about how a family vacations.

Sounds like you're saying we just need to ban guns and then we'll be safer.

Quite the opposite, it's impossible to ban half a billion guns. Also, passing a law to ban x, y or z rarely works. Illegal drugs wouldn't exist right? Countries that ban guns wouldn't have shootings, let alone mass shootings.

Plus turning 100 million law abiding gun owners into criminals could be a bad idea. Criminals tend to do criminal things.

These sensors can be fixed in high traffic areas to see inside cars without interviewing the driver.
So two parts to this, at least, but quite simply the biggest would be you didn't pay attention to the part where Disney can't ban guns from guests vehicles. It's against the law.

Also, it's not practical for the same reason why airports don't use "gun powder" sensors.

Or the wife wants to hit the parks and the husband wants to stay and sleep. She sneaks out quietly so he can sleep, and she can’t do the latch. So he gets barged in on bc he sleeps like the dead. Fun!

And it’s not about 2 or 10 minutes, but about how a family vacations.

It is. And it sucks that we have to adjust. But before I panic I'm going to wait and see how things actually play out. Will someone "barge" in, or will they knock and then leave? Or knock and come in? Or will maid service be considered the check? If the tag is on the door will housekeeping skip over and come back later, or maybe not return at all? Too many ways this can play out.

Quite the opposite, it's impossible to ban half a billion guns. Also, passing a law to ban x, y or z rarely works. Illegal drugs wouldn't exist right? Countries that ban guns wouldn't have shootings, let alone mass shootings.

Plus turning 100 million law abiding gun owners into criminals could be a bad idea. Criminals tend to do criminal things.

So two parts to this, at least, but quite simply the biggest would be you didn't pay attention to the part where Disney can't ban guns from guests vehicles. It's against the law.

Also, it's not practical for the same reason why airports don't use "gun powder" sensors.

It is a fact that countries with fewer guns have fewer gun crimes. And majorly less mass shootings. Maybe we shouldn't give out drivers licenses or make people take tests as those who want to drive will still do so? Why restrict anything if restrictions don't work? Why have a drinking age? Why have an age to by tobacco? If people want it they will get it, right?

Gunpowder doesn’t equal present firearm, though. My brother now has in laws back in the Orlando area. I am 100% sure that when brother visits he’ll find a shooting range. And they might not stay there, but choose a Wdw resort instead. So his hands and clothes will have gunpowder on them even if he has left a weapon at his in law’s house.

Sure...a sensor hit isn’t 100% proof positive a firearm or bomb is present. Security can then look at the data on the magic band transmitter and use other technology to take a closer look. The gunpowder sensors are very accurate they can direct the user to the exact location of the signal. The strength of the signal can determine the amount of gunpowder present.

It’s new technolog. End users of new technology will never publish inner workings of security measures. Disney spends a fortune on security, give them a little credit.
Disney can band you from the resort for standing up on a ride. Try bringing a firearm on property and see how that works out.

They could, but seeing as having a firearm and ammo isn't illegal, they can't do anything about it, other than make sure the person puts it in their car or hands it over at the front desk, which most people would not be willing to do.

It would be so nice to have an "actual experiences" thread, on the order of what was done with the dog policy. People have strong feelings about the new policy, but there have been very few posts by anyone affected by it. A couple have reported being disturbed despite the sign (one was discredited), others have said business as usual with no additional interruptions. I expect that type of thread would be difficult to monitor, though.

Interesting development from the hotel in Las Vegas. It turns out staff had contact with the shooter at least 10 times leading up to the shooting and had entered his room and saw nothing.

https://nypost.com/2018/01/05/hotel-staffers-had-numerous-interactions-with-vegas-massacre-shooter/
https://www.reviewjournal.com/crime...oter-more-than-10-times-in-days-before-oct-1/
Yes, it was widely reported after the shooting, so I don't understand the people claiming he was holed up in his room for three days and no one had any contact with him.

It would be so nice to have an "actual experiences" thread, on the order of what was done with the dog policy. People have strong feelings about the new policy, but there have been very few posts by anyone affected by it. A couple have reported being disturbed despite the sign (one was discredited), others have said business as usual with no additional interruptions. I expect that type of thread would be difficult to monitor, though.
I'd like to know how it was determined to be false.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter