Do you carry your phone at home?

Mine is generally in my purse or on the charger. I do bring it upstairs when I go to bed if DH is away for work, though.

It’s almost always on me; either in hand or pocket. When not it might be next to me on an end table.

It’ll ask you if you need help first. It will only auto dial if you don’t respond within a certain time frame. Years ago I fell into a pile of flagstone (don’t ask, lol) and was black and blue from head to toe. I looked like someone beaten the crap out of me. Several people gave DH the side eye, lol.

For those that carry the iPhone, if you didn’t know you can set it to dial your emergency contacts when you use Emergency SOS. I have my DH, DD and sister in there. You can also have your emergency info show on the lock screen if you are unconscious.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207021https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209053

That’s awesome info. My dh is purchasing me one right now. I just didn’t want random calls because of my stupid balance crap. This could literally be a life saver for me.

Cell phone is off when I am in the house. I have a landline for when I am home. I do have an app on the cellphone but I've never measured my steps at home or work. I have used it to measure outdoor walks, and I walk 2 miles everyday during the week on my lunch break, but I know my routes all add up to 2 miles. I forget about the app alot. We went to a State Park and walked all over, wish I had turned it on because I'm not sure whether the distance or the hills are what wore us out there.
I should try it with my new phone, it used to kill my battery on my old phone.

That’s awesome info. My dh is purchasing me one right now. I just didn’t want random calls because of my stupid balance crap. This could literally be a life saver for me.
Awe, that’s awesome. Glad it was helpful.
How does my iPhone know that I'm unconscious?
Your iPhone won’t know but your emergency info will appear on the lock screen for first responders or someone who might find you unresponsive. Trying to open your phone if it’s locked or hitting the SOS will bring it up.
See down on the left:
CBCF2D9E-B093-4B52-91A0-F8FD33737A56.png

I don’t carry my phone around but since getting an Apple Watch, I’ve noticed a huge difference in how I use my phone when in my house. The watch connects to my phone and so any calls, texts or emails that come through to my phone come through on my watch too. The watch also tracks my activity throughout the day. It really is great as I don’t have to run around looking for my phone when a call comes through- the watch vibrates on my wrist to notify me.

No. I put it down in the kitchen and forget about it. But I do live in a "farmhouse" so it's only four rooms, all connected by doorways (think a big circle), so I can hear it no matter where I am. I'll answer it or respond to it when I feel like it.
I have to carry and respond to my phone all day at work, and I don't like dealing with it at home.
I do not take it upstairs to bed at night (except when I'm on-call). I don't want my sleep interrupted.

No but I question how accurate the step count can be. It’s not attached to your body in any way like a Fitbit or something similar.

No but I question how accurate the step count can be. It’s not attached to your body in any way like a Fitbit or something similar.
It’s as accurate as a FitBit if you carry it in your pocket. I have tested this with the Zip, the Alta and Charge HR. It was within 50-100 steps. The problem comes in when you set it down and forget to pick it back up as most people do. If you’re going for a purposeful walk, it’s good enough. If you want an accurate all day total best to use a dedicated tracker.

Mine is almost always turned off unless I am on vacation and stays in my bag so I will have it in case of emergency. If I didn’t live in such a hot climate I would just leave it in the car.

I prefer my iPad for everyday internet activity. Much easier to see and use than the phone.

I'm a little surprised people carry it around at home. That really never even occurred to me. I take it out with my keys and wallet when I get home. It's sort of a problem because I usually keep the ringer off and rarely remember to turn it back on when I take it off--and we don't have a landline. Oops.
My DH does this too and it's kind of infuriating. :mad:

As for the phone, as I mentioned upthread I rarely pay any attention to it at home but it is my work phone and I'm on-call 24/7 one week out of eight and then I do have to carry it around and to bed. I don't get that many calls but it still feels like a millstone around my neck.
I didn’t know that but I have no desire to have an Apple Watch. It’s good info to have though, so thanks :)
:idea: How about one of those Life Alert necklaces? My beloved but oh-so-stubborn mother paid monthly for one of those systems (at our insistence) for over 20 years yet absolutely refused to ever "press the button" even though she did fall several times and had other incidents that any normal person would have seen as an emergency. God rest her soul - she was a handful. :littleangel:

:idea: How about one of those Life Alert necklaces? My beloved but oh-so-stubborn mother paid monthly for one of those systems (at our insistence) for over 20 years yet absolutely refused to ever "press the button" even though she did fall several times and had other incidents that any normal person would have seen as an emergency. God rest her soul - she was a handful. :littleangel:

omg I’m not 100 yet LOL

I don’t fall regularly, I just know it’s a possibility and I want to be prepared. It’s more like a worst case scenario. I’m sure at some point way down the road I’ll consider Life Alert.

omg I’m not 100 yet LOL

I don’t fall regularly, I just know it’s a possibility and I want to be prepared. It’s more like a worst case scenario. I’m sure at some point way down the road I’ll consider Life Alert.
I'll probably won't. Short of a lottery win I have to work until I'm dead so if I fall, somebody at the office will hopefully notice and help me up. :lmao:

My DH does this too and it's kind of infuriating. :mad:

As for the phone, as I mentioned upthread I rarely pay any attention to it at home but it is my work phone and I'm on-call 24/7 one week out of eight and then I do have to carry it around and to bed. I don't get that many calls but it still feels like a millstone around my neck.

My grandma wouldn’t “press the button” either. ‘Those damn ambulances cost $800!’ SMH While I’d like to believe if she thought she was going to die she’d push it I highly suspect she didn’t because of that possible bill.

I went and did a quick check because I was curious. Nothing is completely accurate, and this is just from a small amount of data, but they do seem pretty comparable.

I am wearing a Garmin Forerunner 235 on my left (non-dominant) wrist and a FitBit One on my bra. I carried my iPhone 6s in a pocket. According to the GPS, I ran (slowly because I'm a turtle) 3.24 miles with a total elevation gain of 372 feet. I made note of my step counts on all three devices right before I walked out of the door and then when I came back in.

My iPhone tracked 6009 steps for 3.1 miles, total steps for the day at that point 6151 for 3.7 miles. It also tracked 35 flights of stairs.

The FitBit One tracked 6088 steps. I forgot to see what the mileage was on the FitBit before I went out, but the total for the day after was 6829 steps and 3.15 miles. The FitBit tracked 44 flights of stairs.

The Garmin tracked 5965 steps. Again, I forgot to see what the mileage was on the Garmin before I went out, but the total for the day after was 6830 steps and 3.7 miles. This Garmin does not track flights of stairs.

Yesterday, I wore my Garmin and my FitBit all day. I had the phone with me when I ran but it was not on me when I was at home, and I forgot it when we went to the grocery store. My FitBit showed 161 fewer steps than the Garmin, and the iPhone showed 5606 fewer steps than the Garmin.

Friday: FitBit 455 steps over the Garmin, iPhone 1736 fewer steps than the Garming

Thursday: FitBit 577 over the Garmin, iPhone 2222 fewer steps than the Garmin

It is either on the end table by my chair in the family room, on the kitchen counter when I’m cooking or doing dishes, by the lamp when I go to bed, and if I’m expecting an important call that I don’t want going to go to voice mail then yes I will even grab it to take to the bathroom. The caller won’t know I’m in the bathroom, I don’t understand the big deal about not using your phone in the bathroom. If I mow the lawn it’s in a cubby on the mower, if I’m on the deck it’s on the table and if I’m working in the garden it’s on the stand by the swing.

I never carried it with me when we had a landline, but learned to make it a habit when we let it go a few years ago.

We don't have a landline either so our phones are in whatever room we are in. I don't hold on to it or carry it around but it is with me all the time.

No. I put it down in the kitchen and forget about it. But I do live in a "farmhouse" so it's only four rooms, all connected by doorways (think a big circle), so I can hear it no matter where I am. I'll answer it or respond to it when I feel like it.
I have to carry and respond to my phone all day at work, and I don't like dealing with it at home.
I do not take it upstairs to bed at night (except when I'm on-call). I don't want my sleep interrupted.

I put my phone on do not disturb when I go to bed, then take it off when I get up in the morning. Calls don’t come through unless it’s one of our kids, they have to call twice then it will come in. I have it set that way in case of an emergency with them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter