Do You Consider Yourself a Feminist?

Do You Consider Yourself a Feminist?

• Yes

• No

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

I chose other because the answer really depends on how someone is defining feminism. I disagree with some of what today's feminist movement seems to represent. For example, I am pro-life because I believe there is more than just the woman's life involved and that the unborn should be protected. I also think what some say is sexual harassment (such as someone saying you look really good in an outfit) is ridiculous and makes it harder for true victims to see justice. I also think that women should acknowledge that while rape and sexual assault is always the fault of the perpetrator, that there are things that we can and should do to minimize our risk. I have always believed that there should be equal pay for equal work but know that it is sometimes difficult to equate one job with another and that sometimes someone's extra experience or skill in doing the same job means that they should be paid more. I worked for a Japanese company for almost 4 decades and was very respected and compensated fairly. This is different than some published reports but something that I believe reflected the skills and value to the company that I brought to the job. My DH was a stay at home dad due to a workplace injury and I brought home the proverbial bacon since our DD was a toddler (she's now 32). We raised DD to ignore gender stereotypes and while she likes to dress up and do girly things, she works as a pipefitter. I believe individuals have strengths and weaknesses that may be typical or atypical for their gender and therefore each person should be judged and rewarded based on their own merits. I don't think I fit today's definition of feminist yet I firmly believe that I am my own kind of feminist.

Funny, because I know some women in Georgia who would agree with Hikergirl. :)

I'm not going to debate that specific law, but the fact is that if men were capable of becoming pregnant then it would apply to them as well, equally.

Since everything is so equal, can you name a single law that regulates a males body that doesn’t include females? Not even having to do with reproduction, any subject.

Oh, & I happen to like most men & don't go around hating & insulting the male species.

Men are fun.

I also appreciate having doors opened for me. And if a guy wants to smile at me & tell me I look nice, that's fine with me!

I like men too. Probably too much!

Being a gentleman and a feminist aren’t mutually exclusive the 3yo knows to take his hat off indoors, hold/open doors for ladies, sees his daddy buy me flowers weekly and we’re a feminist family; although there are organizations that go a bit off the rails, just like all philosophies/movements.

Oh, & I happen to like most men & don't go around hating & insulting the male species.

Men are fun.

I also appreciate having doors opened for me. And if a guy wants to smile at me & tell me I look nice, that's fine with me!

Yeah, I don't think you actually know what feminism is.

Of course I'm a feminist. I'm a little worried about some of the replies here.

Since everything is so equal, can you name a single law that regulates a males body that doesn’t include females? Not even having to do with reproduction, any subject.

This law regulates a procedure and that is as far as I'm going to go on the subject on this board.

I can respect your opinion on why you see yourself as a feminist. Maybe you should try to show the same respect to those who don't see themselves as one.

Yeah, I don't think you actually know what feminism is.

Of course I'm a feminist. I'm a little worried about some of the replies here.

I know what feminism is. I was just being a little facetious, I suppose, & I'm sorry if I offended anyone.

Like I said, I do believe in & support equal rights for men & women. Feminism is "the advocacy of women's rights on the basis of the equality of the sexes." So, yes, of course!

However, I don't consider myself a feminist by the current popular standard. And I really don't like all the men-bashing that sometimes occurs.

I feel like this is one of the cases where modern application of the definition very much plays into the opinions of people.

To believe in equal rights for women does not mean you have to agree with the modern feminist movement in its entirety.

Do I define myself as a feminist? No I do not. That does not mean I don't believe in certain aspects of feminism. I don't need someone to box me into a definition as if its an all or nothing :) Even in politics we have a definition for the middle ground (a simplistic definition used for ease).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter