~~Do You Have A Christmas Morning Tradition ?~~

disneyworld!

<font color="87005b">Love, Peace & Mickey.....and
When I was a kid...we use to have to all awake and stand upstairs till my dad had his "movie camera" ready!! remeber those? with the big bright lights? We Then would have to go down the stairs all together while he filmed! then we would open our stockings and go on to gifts, given one at a time!then when I was a mother, I kind of did the same, just a lot scaled down! most of the time it was just my daughter and self..I would take "normal" pictures of her opening her stocking then presents.....and then I would cook a huge breakfast and have my parents over...then the day at my sisters house!
now it is JUST me!
boy how times have changed!!

I have to have Entenman's danish and coffee while the kids open the presents. My mom used to do that too!

Nope, only tradition we had, was *I* woke up at 6AM, screamed for everyone ELSE to get up as I went down the steps to investigate the tower of gifts with MY name on em. :teeth:

Now, *I* STILL do that! My kids would sleep all day if I would let them :rolleyes:

When I was a child my brothers and I always looked in our stockings first. My mom always had to take our picture in front of the tree and then we could open our presents. We never had a big breakfast since lunch/dinner was the biggest meal of the day, so she always fixed blueberry muffins and hot chocolate for us to munch on while we played with our toys. I try to do the same thing with my family. A nice picture every year on Christmas morning in front of the tree, a small breakfast and then lunch over at my mom and dad's house. Will be a bit different this year since my mom passed away, my dad will be coming to our house for Christmas dinner.

Christmas morning traditions are:

Kids may come downstairs anytime AFTER 7:00am. If they wake before 7, they must stay upstairs until then. Mommy is grumpy if they wake me at5:00am, which they did just once. We all learned that Mommy is not happy at 5:00am after putting together toys until 2:30am.

Mommy and Daddy watch kiddies open stockings with a mimosa in their hands.
After stockings, each child takes a turn opening a present. Mommy and Daddy continue to enjoy mimosas.
We take a mid-opening break for sausage and danish and....more mimosas.

I LOVE Christmas morning.

I wake DS16 up with the video camera in his face. We then proceed to the den where he opens his presents. DH will then open his and then me. We always cook a big breakfast and my parents and my in-laws come over to inspect the gifts and eat with us. It is a lot of fun. DS always waits in his room until I come and get him up. Last year, he said he waited for 2 hours! LOL

I'm going to have to start a new tradition.

disneyworld! said:
When I was a kid...we use to have to all awake and stand upstairs till my dad had his "movie camera" ready!! remeber those? with the big bright lights? We Then would have to go down the stairs all together while he filmed! /FONT] /FONT]

I do that now with my kids. I get up before them and wait on the couch for them to come down the stairs. I know I'm nuts, but I'm carrying down my father's tradidtion.

Get up and go to church, come home to a Big batch of Bloody Mary's, and then head to whomever was dumb enough to invite me for dinner

monkeyboy said:
Get up and go to church, come home to a Big batch of Bloody Mary's, and then head to whomever was dumb enough to invite me for dinner

You aren't going to embarrass us all again this year, are you??? ;)

We were allowed to get up and check out what Santa had left for us in our stockings and under the tree. He didn't wrap the gifts so we could see what we got easily. This allowed Mom and Dad to sleep a bit later as we would stay busy playing for an hour or more. When they got up, we opened the presents from our parents and any other person who wasn't able to come in person that year. All the gifts would be passed out then we'd begin opening them. When we got older, my Mom had us take turns opening the gifts so she and Dad could watch as we opened each gift and see what we got (Dad often pretended surprise about the presents he'd given us :)).

Mine is stay in bed as long as I can, and not let the kids downstairs until we ALL go down... nothing like a little torture before a lot of fun! :D

We always eat the same breakfast and then in the afternoon head for a movie. We just started the movie tradition a few years ago and we all love it. My mom tries to make a nice ham dinner with all the side dishes, but sometimes we have so much fun we catch another movie and have a hot dog at 7-11!!!!

When I was little, my sister and I had to stay in our room until my parents were out by the tree so they could see our faces!! Ahh such good memories!!

disneyworld! said:
When I was a kid...we use to have to all awake and stand upstairs till my dad had his "movie camera" ready!! remeber those? with the big bright lights? We Then would have to go down the stairs all together while he filmed! then we would open our stockings and go on to gifts, given one at a time!then when I was a mother, I kind of did the same, just a lot scaled down! most of the time it was just my daughter and self..I would take "normal" pictures of her opening her stocking then presents.....and then I would cook a huge breakfast and have my parents over...then the day at my sisters house!
now it is JUST me!
boy how times have changed!!

Only thing different with your tradition and ours, was that we did presents first, had the big breakfast and then did stockings. What wonderful memories they are!

I just LOVE Christmas morning.

Once the girls wake up, somewhere around 6:00 a.m. we make our way out to the living room. We turn on Christmas music while the girls jump up and down with all the gifts they got. :Pinkbounc I program my coffee the night before to brew so hubby and I grab our cup of coffee and the fun begins.
Wrapping paper and bows flying everywhere.

Once the gifts are opened and I cleaned up a bit I then make my traditional eggs benedict breakfast complete with home fries, coffee cake, fresh fruit, you name it.

Another tradition we do which I just love is not have the kids open their stocking until night time. This way they still have one more surprise to look forward to. We do it around 7:00 p.m. That is so much fun!

Well, when I was growing up my parents were in the Air Force, so we moved around a lot. Most of the time we did not live near any family, so our Christmas was usually simple, nice, and small...just my mom, dad, brothers, and myself. Now that I am living in Mississippi and married to a MS native, it is sort of the southern tradition here to have family get-togethers 16 times in one day at Christmas time. Personally, I really hate it! It is exhausting and overdone. We go to DH's mom's house at 6 a.m. for breakfast with his family. Then we go to his grandmother's house at noon for lunch w/his family. Then, that evening we usually drive an hour to my mom's house for dinner. I am never able to eat as much as all of them think I should...but 3 huge meals would make anyone full! Next year, we will have a new baby, and I don't want to go through all of this chaos every year when they are small. So, we have decided to alternate between families. Next year, we are going to spend Thanksgiving w/his family, and Christmas w/mine. The following year, we will spend Thanksgiving w/my family and Christmas w/his. And so on...Hopefully this will allow more time for just DH, our baby, and myself. It sounds a lot better!

Sausage balls. Dh's family always had them on Christmas morning and now my kids insist I make them. Luckily you can make them before and keep them in the frig to cook that morning. I am NOT a morning person! (I am a Christmas nut but prefer laying about to cooking!)

Since our dd Ashli is getting older our old habits don't fit as well as they used to so we are going to change things around a bit this year. I guess it will be the beginning of new traditions, who knows?
OLD: We sleep until 7:00 or so and then wake dd up and open presents under the tree and in stockings. Then I start cooking for dinner at my mom's house and about 11:30am we head over there (we just snacked on christmas junk food all morning, no real breakfast for any of us)
NEW PLANS: Get up about 8:00am and I'll start a breakfast casserole cooking. Ashli's bf will come over and we'll open up gifts/stockings. Then we'll eat breakfast together. Then I'll start cooking for my mom's house but we'll head over there a little later this year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter