Do you sell on eBay?

The WDW 3

The WDW 3
Hi, I’m not sure how much about this we are allowed to talk about here, but I am just curious if any of you are regular eBay sellers. I have recently started selling and I am having a lot of fun doing it. I started with baseball cards, vintage concert ticket stubs, and tonight I will be listing some Star Wars items. What do you sell? And, are we allowed to link here?

I have never sold anything on eBay but I have thought about it. Not sure how hard it is to do and how much of a headache the shipping part would be.

I'm guessing you probably can't link here...

Hi, I’m not sure how much about this we are allowed to talk about here, but I am just curious if any of you are regular eBay sellers. I have recently started selling and I am having a lot of fun doing it. I started with baseball cards, vintage concert ticket stubs, and tonight I will be listing some Star Wars items. What do you sell? And, are we allowed to link here?
No links allowed. you used to be able to share your seller ID.

I tried selling on eBay. Only made 2 sales. I don't do it any more.

I used to do it. Then they changed a lot of things that made it harder on the seller. I wasn’t big enough to absorb any chargebacks. It was more just more for some extra cash. I loved doing it though.

My DH used to have an eBay account (quite some time ago) but it was hacked, so he closed it. I think security is better now, but we've never bothered to open a new one.

And, are we allowed to link here?

No, DIS rules prohibit that.

I have never sold anything on eBay but I have thought about it. Not sure how hard it is to do and how much of a headache the shipping part would be.

I'm guessing you probably can't link here...

Listing items is super easy. You can watch a quick YouTube video or two to get a couple tips, but you don’t really need to it’s that simple. Most of what I have shipped has been really basic and hassle free. What I would recommend is figuring out the shipping upfront. Don’t list and sell something, and then deal with the shipping after the fact. Make sure you know the size of the shipping package and the weight of the package. You would put that information in and then eBay will calculate the rate for you. eBay is connected to the post office, UPS, FedEx, so you just print the shipping label after it sells you pay through eBay. The you just tape the label to the box and drop it off at the post office etc. eBay doesn’t make any money unless you sell something, So they really make it easy for you.

I used to sell pretty regularly on Ebay. Then fees went way up and I moved to a different site (of course those fees have gone up now as well). But I still use Ebay every now and then when I have something I prefer to sell rather than donate. I've been cleaning out my attic and selling some old collectible stuff I had, so it's great for that. Shipping is really simple. You package and weigh the item, enter the info and print a label.

I used to avoid Ebay for larger items since shipping is so pricey for larger or heavier packages. Now they have some discounted rates through Fed Ex Home that have made that appealing again. Rates for larger items have been as much as half off the USPS rate.

I used to sell pretty regularly on Ebay. Then fees went way up and I moved to a different site (of course those fees have gone up now as well). But I still use Ebay every now and then when I have something I prefer to sell rather than donate. I've been cleaning out my attic and selling some old collectible stuff I had, so it's great for that. Shipping is really simple. You package and weigh the item, enter the info and print a label.

I used to avoid Ebay for larger items since shipping is so pricey for larger or heavier packages. Now they have some discounted rates through Fed Ex Home that have made that appealing again. Rates for larger items have been as much as half off the USPS rate.

What other site do you use?

Casually, I thrift toys for my own collection but they usually come with a bunch of other stuff since they're in bags. I sell the doubles off and then donate stuff that doesn't move.

Etsy. But not for the same sort of items I now sell on Ebay. Resale of household stuff and collectibles I pretty much just stick with Ebay.

If you don’t mind me asking, what kind of things are you selling on Etsy?

I have been selling on and off on eBay since 2001. I started off originally selling (and buying) a portion of my 1980's My Little Pony collection. Nowadays it's all sorts of random stuff -- occasionally garage sale 'flips', but mostly just our own stuff that we are ready to part with. Sometimes I'll have 10 or 20 listings at a time and then stretches with nothing for sale. I switched mostly away from auction style except for a few certain items and most stuff is 'Buy It Now (or Best Offer)', I get pretty decent ballpark of what I'm looking for with Best Offers.

I made about $400 so far this year so it's just a little side thing. I use the extra cash for when I want to buy something or put in a vacation fund.

My mother sells antiques and made about $10,000 last year, and is more of a real business for her.

Shipping nowadays is so easy, I buy and print my labels right on eBay. When I'm running low on boxes I just go into the post office and grab a big armful of various size Priority Mail boxes. Then I just print out my shipping labels and drop them off at the post office when I'm going through town. I also get paid directly by eBay right to my checking account now, whereas before I was getting paid through PayPal and then transferring to checking, which was fine too, this just saves an extra step.

I sold on and off for years starting with baby clothes when my son was little (he just turned 18) but I can’t remember the last time I listed anything. Whenever I sell anything now, I use Mercari.

I occasionally sell things. There were years when I did a lot of selling--back in the late 1990s and early 2000s. Then I cut back and basically only sold prior to Christmas and summer vacation for some extra spending cash. But now, it's just hit and miss. Ebay has made changes over the years that make things more expensive and trickier for sellers so it's just not as appealing as it used to be. Also, there's simply a lot more competition for sales unless you are selling something really unusual.

These days I only sell Buy it Now items for the most part. I don't seek out collectible or more rare items anymore like I used to in its heyday. Now I just occasionally sell things my kids outgrow that are still worth a decent bit even used.

Probably not in 10 years. A former co-worker quit his job to sell on E-Bay. He would buy at garage sales, and sell on E-bay. Never paid over $10 for an item, and he would usually sell an item of that value for $20. He was averaging 30 sales a day. $300 a day is not bad income.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter