Do your kids carry their own bags?

My cousins (just turned 9 and almost 11 year old) took fanny packs with a water bottle holder on it when I took them back in 1999. They would add some snacks and carry whatever else they wanted (ie. sunglasses).

My niece's were 5 or 4 when I took them, so I didn't have them carry anything. I was the pack mule.

This year my niece is 14 and will carry a cross body bag for her things (sunglasses, lip balm, gum, etc.)

We haven't gone yet, but my kids (ages 7-13) will be carrying their own bags. They have mini backpacks and string packs. They will have ponchos, water, small snacks, probably hats. We took a hike with them and it worked well.

I will carry a smaller pack with water, camera, sunscreen, etc.

here in AZ the hottest place EVER lol, we trained the kid early on to carry a water bottle holder and don't leave the house with out sunglasses and hat. Now we are not sure if we want to take our big water bottles with us or just depend on the free water around the park. But we will each have our own bag. My son will have a fanny pack or his water bottle holder with a throwaway water bottle and his pouch with a phone and wallet. I honestly think a kid can and should carry his own things if they are old enough to keep those things with them. Fanny packs are the best for young kids because they are stuck with them all day.

here in AZ the hottest place EVER lol, we trained the kid early on to carry a water bottle holder and don't leave the house with out sunglasses and hat. Now we are not sure if we want to take our big water bottles with us or just depend on the free water around the park. But we will each have our own bag. My son will have a fanny pack or his water bottle holder with a throwaway water bottle and his pouch with a phone and wallet. I honestly think a kid can and should carry his own things if they are old enough to keep those things with them. Fanny packs are the best for young kids because they are stuck with them all day.
I carry a water bottle and get free ice water. Sometime in lines or attractions I'm thirsty so I can use my re-usable one. Saves us from having to get free water constantly. Last year at Universal the free water was so small I would finish it and need to ask for another to put into the water bottle. I think I drink more water than most people.

Yes, everyone over maybe 6 has always been responsible for carrying anything that they wanted to bring.

My DH and DS always liked cargo shorts with a water bottle or two, wallet, and phone in the pockets. Water bottles were tossed as they drank them.

DD and I like a small cross body bag with my wallet, a small bottle of ibuprofen, phone, and a lipstick sized recharger. I start the day with a large bottle of water that I toss when finished.

The environment would thank us if we were responsible enough for reusable bottles in a park but sadly we are not. We try to make up for it with reusable bottles at home.

I never understand what others are carrying in backpacks. I just don't need anything else.

Honestly I'm a little amazed that people want their kids to lug things around the park. They are kids, its supposed to be magical. I'm all for my kids carrying things around when they are maybe 11 and up, but for now, I have no problem being the pack mule.

lol i second that, on the one hand you want your kids to be accountable and responsible citizens as this will be valuable to them as they get older, however, the flip side is that this is supposed to be a magical experience and the weather is usually 90+ degrees and 80+% humidity, So having kids (who's body's don't regulate temperature the same as adults) lugging around extra gear may seem like a great teachable moment, but from my perspective the potential 'cost' and negative impact far outweighs it.

This is what strollers are for! haha ;o)

ROFL at this thread. Everyone must have trained little soldiers on this board. My kids would be happy to carry their own bags, but I prefer the bags actually making it back to the hotel at the end of the day. What 6 year old is not going to lose their bag? My 8 year old could probably manage to lose his sneakers at the park if we didn't watch him.

LOL!!! I know! My DGD had a little Stitch fanny pack and then her Stitch backpack when she was younger. SHe liked having a few of her own things on her (she used a little pocketbook since she was about 18 months old, a girl after her Nana's heart!) and having her trading pins handy. She was not responsible for carrying essentials, and honestly if she lost it no one would be upset but her. She never lost it.

SHe is a teen now and has carried her own gear on occasion. Her dad has a backpack for water, etc but she caries her own money and phone, etc. She does not forget anything, and will often offer to carry any of my bags that I accumulate throughout the day.

Sure, kids get practice at home all the time, so why do they not need to do it on vacation? The little one insisted on having one just like her big sister, which was fine, and most days it ended up in the stroller basket except when we went in a queue. Then she wanted it on just like big sister. It was actually easier to do it this way - if we split up, the kids had their own stuff with them, and we didn't have to rummage through one community bag or do without. It was no biggie, but they never complained, and just took care of it.

The stroller question though - do they do it everywhere or just WDW?

Oh dear me, did you read why they use a stroller and it serves a dual purpose????? This family does ntopurchase food in the parks. They choose to pack their meals daily, and bring their own water supply. Placing their cooler on a stroller solves all the logistical problems dragging a cooler around presents.

Stop avoiding the question and produce your 10-year stroller plan, please ;)

Would you share your ten year park touring strategy? The constant prodding about stroller use, especially given anyone who has spent any time interacting with @Klayfish knows his family has their reasons for bringing their packed meals, is rude in my opinion.

Dude I take my stroller everywhere! Soccer Tournaments, the mall, trips out, I have no intention of giving it up until they all have a driving license ;o)

Just remember, extinguishing someone else candle doesn't make yours shine any brighter. Rock what you got.

Hi, I have 5 kids and have been to Disney World with them many times. We have always had our kids carry their own bags since they were probably 2 1/2 or so. We didn't do this to "teach them responsibility" or anything like that, but rather to give them some measure of control over when they eat a snack or take a sip of water, or even when to put on the rain poncho. Back when they were little like under 8 or 10, they had fanny packs that they did not take off in the parks so we didn't have to worry about losing them. I put a little 6 or 8 oz water bottle in there along with lip balm, a cheap rain poncho, a snack like peanut butter crackers or goldfish, and a snack size baggie with small candy like smarties, a few Skittles, a couple pieces of candy corn. As they got a little older they were allowed to choose what kind of bag they wanted to use and what to put in it. Fanny packs went out of fashion and were seen as very nerdy, so the kids switched to string back packs of cross body bags. I think they always liked having that control of their own stuff and we parents never carried a back pack. Of course with babies we had a small diaper bag in the stroller. My husband still uses a fanny pack with his cards, small sunscreen and rain poncho, and I carry a cross body bag and a water bottle on a strap. I know we could get a cup of water for free at quick service places, but I don't like to spend time doing that usually. I like to sip water in line or walking to the next ride.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter