Does anyone remember the Kmart deli subs?

I believe it was their liberal use of oil/vinegar and salt/pepper that made them good.
and the meat and soft sub roll and the pickles!!
Oh yes-they had to have been cheap meats/cheese etc but to a kid they were fantastic!

I am so old, I remember KMart. I never had the subs, but I remember the dining area in the store that had stuff. I also remember a Little Caesars in Kmart as well, several years later.

I don't recall ever having a K-Mart sub, but I do remember their small deli departments. Plus their snack bars and/or cafeterias.

When I was a kid, the local Woolworth's made great subs, either for take out or at the lunch counter.

I remember the subs at Kmart. I remember them being served on a deli roll, with bolony, cheese, onion, and mustard. I liked them.

and the meat and soft sub roll and the pickles!!
Oh yes-they had to have been cheap meats/cheese etc but to a kid they were fantastic!

They would be considered cheap these days I saw similar ham for $1.25 a pound which is very cheap compared with the $10 a pound lunchmeat these days, but back then, it would be about average.

I don't recall ever having a K-Mart sub, but I do remember their small deli departments. Plus their snack bars and/or cafeterias.

When I was a kid, the local Woolworth's made great subs, either for take out or at the lunch counter.

The Woolworth's Luncheonette. The last one in the nation is in Bakersfield. But the counter itself is faux retro these days. The rest of the place is an antique mall.

Yes, I do remember them. So god!
I worked at Kmart in the winter of '65 and made those sandwiches. This was in east central Illinois, so, whatever their version of the sub was may have been slightly different than other parts of the country. This is what I remember:
sub roll sliced
one side a thin layer of mayo
other side a thin layer of regular yellow mustard
generous amount of thinly sliced(shredded) iceberg lettuce
two slices regular bologna
two slices salami
two or three slices american cheese
two or three very thinly sliced fresh tomatoes
assemble the two sides together
wrap in deli paper

I truly don't remember adding any onions or peppers or any 'sauce' that would have made the sandwich
gooey. They were made and distributed from a cart positioned near the front of the store.

I also remember eating at the counter in Woolworths, Kresge's, Walgreens and the Kmart cafeteria.
Back when we actually sat down at a table or counter to eat and maybe even used some sort of
utensils to place small amounts of food into ours mouths versus shoving something into our mouths using
our hands while walking, driving, reading, talking(yes, talking) and now texting. Hmmmm

I worked at Kmart in the winter of '65 and made those sandwiches. This was in east central Illinois, so, whatever their version of the sub was may have been slightly different than other parts of the country. This is what I remember:
sub roll sliced
one side a thin layer of mayo
other side a thin layer of regular yellow mustard
generous amount of thinly sliced(shredded) iceberg lettuce
two slices regular bologna
two slices salami
two or three slices american cheese
two or three very thinly sliced fresh tomatoes
assemble the two sides together
wrap in deli paper

I truly don't remember adding any onions or peppers or any 'sauce' that would have made the sandwich
gooey. They were made and distributed from a cart positioned near the front of the store.

I also remember eating at the counter in Woolworths, Kresge's, Walgreens and the Kmart cafeteria.
Back when we actually sat down at a table or counter to eat and maybe even used some sort of
utensils to place small amounts of food into ours mouths versus shoving something into our mouths using
our hands while walking, driving, reading, talking(yes, talking) and now texting. Hmmmm

Ooh I remember those subs! They were so good but my real love for eating at Kmart was the ice cream counter ours had with actual Superman ice cream! I've found people that make it now but no one gets the flavors right at all... I even found one 'superman' ice cream that was just tri-colored vanilla. Terrible!

Ingredients
Meat
4 slices Oscar mayer bologna
4 slices Oscar mayer ham, honey-roasted
8 slices Salami
Produce
1 oz Banana pepper
1/2 oz Lettuce
1/4 Onion
2 Tomatoes
Condiments
1 Dill pickle
1 oz French's yellow mustard
Bread & Baked Goods
4 Submarine rolls
Dairy
4 slices Kraft american cheese
Close ingredients
These are the ingredients they were so good

I just printed out the recipe! Don't know if I'll ever make them,but it makes me happy for some goofy reason.

I remember them. Big thing, it was not hard salami, it was the big cooked salami I think it was called.

I remember the other store cafeterias, too. Funny, though, I don’t think I ever went into a KMart until I was an adult. We did not have one where I grew up.

I remember that little restaurant inside the store. After my mom would be dragging my dad and i around to stores, we hung with her about 20 min at kmart, the went to that restaurant, ordered us something and her something when she got done, some how that made it all worth while

Don't recall the subs, but find it interesting that there is now only one K-Mart left in Illinois. Not too far from where I live. Parking lot is always empty. And Sears, only 3 stores left in Illinois.

How much longer before they all close up shop?

I remember them. Big thing, it was not hard salami, it was the big cooked salami I think it was called.

I remember the other store cafeterias, too. Funny, though, I don’t think I ever went into a KMart until I was an adult. We did not have one where I grew up.

The first K-Mart came to my area in 1975 or so in a brand new mini-mall. A&P supermarket on the other end and about a dozen stores in the interior mall. The mall stores all failed within a few years and were converted to things like doctor and other professional offices. The whole place was torn down about five years ago. I think K-Mart evolved from Kresge's, which I remember as a young girl.

I guess K-mart sold what we called "American hoagies," boiled ham, cooked salami, American "cheese." Italian hoagies had capicola ham, prosciutto ham, genoa salami, and provolone cheese.

I don’t remember the sub. But One of my earliest childhood memories that I will never forget is the Kmart deli/restaurants in the back of the store. I remember the trays with a perhaps like a petrol blue or red? They have hard plastic booths. And what is odd compared to today’s set up for stores this is this was in the middle and in the back of the store. Most megastore restaurants are right when you walk-in.

Ooh yes! I remember having those subs as a kid up to maybe age 10 or so. That would've been 1994ish. I HAD to have one every time my mom took me shopping there. Then the deli went away completely at some point. Our Kmart closed either last year or earlier this year after being a shell of its former self for a long time.

I do so remember the K-Mart subs. Money was tight in the 1960-s and 1970's in our household and it was music to my mom's ears when you would be in K-mart and they would announce "ATTENTION K-MART SHOPPERS, OUR SUBMARINE SANDWICHES ARE ON SALE RIGHT NOW, TWO FOR $1".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter