Does Disney not check children's ages?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshanson3121

DIS Veteran
Does Disney not have any system in place to check children's ages when purchasing tickets, meals etc?

I have to say, I've been shocked (and at times downright appalled) at some of what I have seen online (other groups), with the amount of people who are admitting to (and encouraging others to) lie about their children's ages, so they can get cheaper tickets and cheaper meals (especially for the character meals). One woman even bragged about how she coached her 2, soon to be 3 year old child, to lie about her age/birth date, so she could still get her in for free.

I mean, obvious moral and poor parenting issues aside, it seems to me that is this not something that is eventually going to come back to bite all of us? I mean, if enough people keep lying and scamming Disney like this, will they not eventually just clamp down and do away with the discounted prices for children, and just start charging the same price for everyone?

It also baffles me that Disney has not clued in that people are doing this, and how it is that an empire like Disney, does not have a system in place to actually verify things like children's ages? Or do they just not care?

Last edited:
The vast majority of young children don’t have a photo ID so there really is no particularly good or easy way to verify. U.S. children don’t usually have Passports like the international guests. I’m sure Disney is aware some cheat. They could charge for all guests entering the gates, but i’d Be highly surprised if they took that route. The best you can do is know you are teaching your children honesty and integrity by following the rules.

Enjoy your vacation!

First, one of the reasons that adult prices begin at age 9 (as opposed to 12) is that Disney realizes many people will lie about the age of their children.

Second, most children do not carry identification nor do they actually have any. It’s not as though they drive.

Third, Disney saves info on your family in their computer system so they know when your child turns 3 and 9. If somebody shaves a year or two off their child’s age from the get-go, it will catch up to them eventually.

It's not a big enough issue for Disney to worry about. Some do it sure, but not enough to but a big dent in the numbers.
Otherwise, don't concern yourself with what others do.
Besides, some think they are doing something that doesn't need to be done. When their child turns 3 during their trip. They wrongly assume they have to pay when the child turns 3, so they coach the child to say they are 2 the entire trip. When little do they realize, at Disney, you don't age.

PP have a good point. Just what do you expect people to do to prove ages?

Do you expect parents to provide a birth certificate when making a reservation? The best they can do is assume most people are honest. We took a trip when my daughter was about 6 weeks shy of 3, it was never an issue. For whatever reason, she continues to randomly revert to "infant" status on MDE even though I've updated her age multiple times. When we did Hoop Dee Doo last month, we had to pre-pay and for whatever reason it reverted to infant again, and they didn't charge us. I brought it to their attention at check in and they said not to worry about it, it was their glitch. :rolleyes1

I agree with you OP - and usually, its the kids that out the parents when the CM's talk directly to them instead of the parents

Disney COULD require a photo id for everyone - its not that hard to go to the DMV for a physical ID Card - I have carried a MIL ID since I was 4 - just because my parnets were renewing theirs and I was playing in front of the camera - even though I wasn't required to have one until I turned 10

I would be for it

It's not a big enough issue for Disney to worry about. Some do it sure, but not enough to but a big dent in the numbers.
Otherwise, don't concern yourself with what others do.
Besides, some think they are doing something that doesn't need to be done. When their child turns 3 during their trip. They wrongly assume they have to pay when the child turns 3, so they coach the child to say they are 2 the entire trip. When little do they realize, at Disney, you don't age.

PP have a good point. Just what do you expect people to do to prove ages?

I'm sure some don't realize, but this child was turning 3 before the trip, hence why she was teaching her to lie.

As far as "concerning myself", I don't. If they want to teach their children to lie, that's their choice. My surprise is just at the number of people doing it and the fact that Disney actually doesn't do something to stop it. As far as what they could do, I don't know. I mean, everyone has a birth certificate, so it's not unfeasible that they could ask for that as proof.

I'm sure some don't realize, but this child was turning 3 before the trip, hence why she was teaching her to lie.

As far as "concerning myself", I don't. If they want to teach their children to lie, that's their choice. My surprise is just at the number of people doing it and the fact that Disney actually doesn't do something to stop it. As far as what they could do, I don't know. I mean, everyone has a birth certificate, so it's not unfeasible that they could ask for that as proof.
Yes, it's very unfeasible and unreasonable. There is no reason whatsoever for anyone in the US to travel with a birth certificate, within the US.

I agree with you OP - and usually, its the kids that out the parents when the CM's talk directly to them instead of the parents

Disney COULD require a photo id for everyone - its not that hard to go to the DMV for a physical ID Card - I have carried a MIL ID since I was 4 - just because my parnets were renewing theirs and I was playing in front of the camera - even though I wasn't required to have one until I turned 10

I would be for it
Trying going to the DMV here and you'd not say that. It's a several hour (typically half a day) ordeal

Tickets are almost the same price (just a few dollars less for child).
As for meals: at the counter service (non-buffet) meals I've been to, they don't limit child meals to kids under age 9. As to character buffet meals (which have large price difference) - perhaps the low age 9 child upper limit was meant to capture most of the honest people? I.e., if it were 12, then some people might lie until the child is 15 (instead of, say, 11 when its 9)? Just a guess. The buffet type places near me consider a child 12 and under, making me think this.

DMV card? Ugh - no way if you live in Greater Boston. (The RMV is truly Kafka-esque here.) And you have to be 14 for that anyway in MA. I guess a passport could work, but I'm not carrying that to parks - I'd have to be a 'bag person.'

Tickets are almost the same price (just a few dollars less for child).
As for meals: at the counter service (non-buffet) meals I've been to, they don't limit child meals to kids under age 9. As to character buffet meals (which have large price difference) - perhaps the low age 9 child upper limit was meant to capture most of the honest people? I.e., if it were 12, then some people might lie until the child is 15 (instead of, say, 11 when its 9)? Just a guess. The buffet type places near me consider a child 12 and under, making me think this.

DMV card? Ugh - no way if you live in Greater Boston. (The RMV is truly Kafka-esque here.) And you have to be 14 for that anyway in MA. I guess a passport could work.

Unless your child is under 3, and then they're free, which is a big difference.

Yes, it's very unfeasible and unreasonable. There is no reason whatsoever for anyone in the US to travel with a birth certificate, within the US.

Agree most don't. But, Disney could easily make it a stipulation, and I imagine the only ones that would see it as a big deal, are the ones who want to cheat the system. Not saying they should, just that they could.

There’s no good way for WDW to verify a birth certificate is legit. Here in the States, birth certificates vary by state - there is no 1 single “look” to them. No picture, and many children don’t enter the parks with a parent who would be named on the BC. Children don’t even need ID for domestic flights, and that’s dealing with a government entity. I realize most Europeans and many Canadians have Passports from a young age; it just isn’t common in the US. It really would be a nightmare to implement, and likely a huge failure if they tried.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter